But it leads to the hidden reaches,
Where our minds are clear and bright.
On the far banks of insanity,
A deeper love awaits.

Those who swim the tides
And reach the shore,
Will see beauty in its true form.

Many drown in insanity,
Never recognizing that corner of the soul.
Bathed in a new kind of torment.
Writhing from feelings unknown.

When we’ve been there and back,
We can recognize our own kind.
The scarring is now visible to us.

Insanity is not the end.
Insanity is the beginning of living.

Spoiler! :
I made an attempt at some consistency in the stanzas, as Sarebear requested, but my clumsy edits seemed to be making things worse, so I've left it mostly 'as is' for now. This was basically spur-of-the-moment poetry.
Last edited by Payne on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 pm
sarebear says...

Hiya,

This is very beautiful. It's thick to read--I found myself reading much slower than usual--sort of like swimming through heavy cream....I like it. I especially liked your ending. There aren't any detectible errors, spelling and grammar-wise.

One thing that you're missing here is stability in the number of lines per stanza. You have anywhere from one to five per...it's probably a good idea to keep that number at least somewhat constant.

Anyway, that was pretty much just me trying to find something to make this review worthwhile, but I don't really have much negative to say.

Nice job!
sare
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Temi says...

Hi there! This was a good piece. I like the fact that the theme of your poem is controversial (in my opinion.) I love your word choice and diction; it was simple and straight-forward. This made the voice in this piece serene and strangely soothing. Wooing the reader to consider the option of insanity. On the other hand, I think there isn't much going on concerning the imagery of the poem. The title of the poem seems broad enough to allow for interesting imagery, which could have better described the theme in this piece. All in all, it was a good attempt and I encourage you to do more of poetry. Thank you for this piece.
Tend your flame. It's what all we've got.

94 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 94
Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:38 am
TheEstimableEelz says...

I can tell you, Payne. It is hard to come by because... okay, I don't really know.
Ze poem, I am ambivalent about it. I want to like it, but my pretentious fancy side thinks it's overwhelmingly plain.

I must disagree with Sarebear, I don't find fluctuating stanza length an issue if it has a purpose. That said, you have homogenized yours, so I cannot issue judgment at this juncture.

I do appreciate the narrative. It weaves without withering, flows without flailing, etc. I like the double white-space (gray-space) you've got going to separate the bits and parts.

Your metaphors and suchlike are fine and dandy. Nothing of particular note in syntax. Overall, my favorite recent non-convoluted and/or fancy piece. Keep writing and all that. Huzzah!
Formerly 'ilyaeelz.' Others experiment with drugs. I experiment with punctuation and grammar.

"Research your own experiences for the truth, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green