z

Young Writers Society

Fragments

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:50 am
ScarlettFire says...

Here's poem. One of my more recent ones. Not many people have read it. Anyway, enjoy! :smt001

Fragments
I woke from a dream
It was a fragment of a memory
Lost and scattered throughout time
And all infinity

I saw the future and the past
And knew that it would never be the last
Hope, love, faith and destiny
Forever one and the same

Fragments of memories
Things of love and eternity
What was, should and always be
All scattered throughout time and infinity

Look up and see
What you’ve always longed to see
Fragments of memories and dreams
Stars, hopes, faith and destiny
This is your eternity
Always there for all to see
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm
Jagged says...

The overall theme is interesting, but the execution is shaky. It kind of feels to me like you're doing the rhetorical equivalent of running in circles: there's not really anything new from stanza to stanza, you're just covering the same ground over and over again.
Try adding some narrative thread, or at least a discussion, a specific theme on which you could expand?
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:28 am
Tassen Spellbinder says...

I enjoyed this work. The first thing that struck me was your conspicuous lack of punctuation , but as you reference infinity so many times, it contributes nicely to a feeling of endlessness.
The other thing I noticed was that in some places you have a rhyme scheme, and some places you do not. I'd either make a constant rhyme scheme throughout the piece, or take out the rhymes altogether.

All in all, an excellent poem! Keep up the good work!
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 pm
Galerius says...

Hi ScarlettFire,

This is a bunch of fluff stuffed with cotton so it looks like your child is well-fed even though it's been starving and crying for some actual food since the first line. I didn't get anything out of this. Nothing. That's a red-flag in writing, obviously, and something to be considered when you somehow think that it's a good idea to repeat yourself over and over again... without actually adding much substance.

ScarlettFire wrote:I woke from a dream
It was a fragment of a memory
Lost and scattered throughout time
And all infinity

Vague. In addition, this is what I call pseudo-imagery; you do talk about fragments, lost and scattering, which could pull forth some brilliant description. Unfortunately, the reader gets lost when he realizes that he has no idea what is being scattered. A "dream"? How am I supposed to imagine that as a tangible object? How is anyone?

Abstract ideas have their purposes, but you need to first anchor yourself to the ground before you fly, lest you soar too high and your lungs collapse.

The rest of this poem is just more of the same. You talk about magical and wondrous... what, exactly? Your piece is essentially saying "Wow, that was an amazing!" The reader is bewildered, as you've never actually told him what was amazing. You stop your poetic sentence mid-way, biting your tongue and strangling any good concept that could have come out of this.

Focus on relating it to earthen concepts, digging your fingers through the dirt and dust that made us all, and that which our minds can relate to on the most primal level. From there, you can work your way up to clouds and stars and dreams and whatever you're trying to get across. Poetry is a ladder - never a one-dimensional plane. Start small, start basic.

Hope that helped,
Galerius

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:43 pm
AuthorOfMyLife says...

Hey,

GALERIUS, I dissagree with you, I think this poems gives a lot. Maybe it's just because I've experianced something like it, but I think the poem is deep and meaningfull. And I think that the repeating is just a way to show that, that is just the way it is, and that there's no way around it!

It's beautiful!
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Gandhi

Random avatar

Reviews: 35
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:03 pm
babygirl12 says...

Wow. Nice. Very nice.
The whole topic is so imaginative and gently grasping.
:] Well done! [:

-BG-
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened...
Before. ---Dare you to move by, Switchfoot---

Reviews: 3
Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:50 pm
averagedreamer says...

Hey there

I think your poem is good, you have a really good idea of what you want to write about and how to write it. I like that you're writing about a dream because dreams are beautiful important and creative things. I think though that you could be more specific about what you're writing about. You use a lot of abstract terms like "love", "hope", "faith", "destiny", and so on. If you stopped using those abstracts and instead explained what they were, described them, defined them within your poem it'd make more of an impact. Otherwise the words themselves are bland. You don't want the words you want the feelings that go with the words. I hope that made sense.

That's really all I can think to say about this poem so I hope it helped! Thanks for telling me to look at your poetry. :)

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm
Brown Eyed Girl says...

I agree, this poem is stunning. really very well thought out. Me being slightly greedy would have love to read a bit more, but thats just me! My favourite bit has to be when you when you say memories are lost and shattered because you past memories and the way you retell it changes or things arent always told but things get passed on. I think what makes good poems great are when you relate to what's being said and I totally relate to this poem :)

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:40 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

Hey there Scarli! :)

*digs up old poetry*

Okay so I found this was a very interesting poem. The first stanza was really interesting and I really wanted more but it just seemed like you were repeating yourself again and again. If you ever do look back and edit this, I would add some more ideas into it. That way it would be a bit more exciting and different with every stanza.

Apart from that, all good!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy