z

Young Writers Society

(In Need Of A Title) Emotions

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 am
amygabb says...

Spoiler! :
Would love to know what you thought of this and what other emotions I should include. I need a title! I can't think of anything witty or eye-catching. All comments welcomed.

Pride stands alone,
dead center in the middle of my heart.
She is too good for Shame, Anxiety, and Guilt,
her nose pointed skywards.

Shame wears the dunce cap,
slouched on the stool in the corner.
Eyes down, he wears an eternal blush,
lingering behind my cheeks.

Guilt hibernates in my stomach,
dormant, but always there.
He makes a fuss every once in a while,
fretting until I make things right.

Anxiety dominates my palms
Making them slick.
My voice trembles,
Rousing an avalanche of quakes in my extremities.
She moans and feels sick,
Always watching her back.
Producing a constant feeling
On the back of my neck
That someone is following me.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Okay, so I kinda like the concept here. My one problem was that you really didn't find a way to tie this all together. And I think that once it is tied together somehow, you'll manage to produce a more inspired name as well (a lot of the times I won't publish a poem if I can't find a name for it - it's sometimes a sign that it isn't fully-developed enough to have a centralized idea). While I feel like you have a pretty good sense of what you're going for, I feel like you might also want to find a way to really make these flow within each other, because it was a little disjointed. It was definitely a nice poem, but could find a way to incorporate the aspects it has within itself to kind of weave it more tightly.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 am
barefootrunner says...

I agree with storyweaver. Maybe some rhyme or meter would do the poem good. Don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against free verse, but free verse is a lot like composing without a key, or painting fine detail with your fingers: you need to know what you are doing or it all turns out like one big blob. I liked the concept, but it did plod a bit -- it was too obvious. Otherwise, I liked the concept and personality.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes