z

Young Writers Society

Winter World

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm
WrittenInStone says...

Spoiler! :
Hi, to all those who will read and/or review this poem I'd like to mention the fact that there are not supposed to be any stanzas. Think of this as a depiction of winter, a description more like. It is simple, and to myself "to the point". If you believe that I should add punctuation or actual sentences go ahead and say it but tell me why you didn't like the poem the way it was in itself originally. I personally like to try different things and other structures but to some people it may seem a little too different. If you enjoyed it, I'm glad. Thank you for reading.

~ Written.

Winter World

Blanket of white
desolate world
sleep has descended
brittle pines stand
pregnant branches
gleaming snow
bare limbs stretch
frozen waters
heavy grey clouds
barren plains
endless snow flakes
stretching trees
no escape
leaves decaying
icicles cling tight
dangers hidden
black ice
a white world
a world of white.
To fly away on gossamer wings, sheer as night's reflective glow, I would could I cradle child hecate to my breast.

|| Wisp. ||

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 pm
LemonyIce says...

Hello, Stone! I must say, your poem was really good. I loved the imagery. I could totally imagine a cold, snowy winter's day. It was amazing! But, like you said, I think you could just add punctuation. Just so your reader knows how the poem flows and knows where to pause. Other than that, good job! I can't really say what my favourite part was because I loved the full poem! The way you began and the way you ended just left me speechless. Technically, your whole poem left me speechless. xD So, yeah, great poem!

~HPR loved it~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Hey there!

You certainly have written a character sketch, if you will, of winter. You have some strong, evocative images which work perfectly to your theme.

However, you also don’t have any actual content in this poem. Normally I’m not one for content over aesthetics, I rather like looking at a poem just for the language, but here I’m missing any kind of emotional connection to your poem. If you’re experimenting with lists, you’ve got this down, truly. If you’re not experimenting with lists, then you need to add something more substantial to your poem before we can look at it and think of it as a poem. Your lines don’t connect in any way other than being on the same topic, and below one another. I want to see some kind of narrative here, some kind of form beyond the tired column.

I would suggest asking why you want to use these particular descriptions for winter and what they bring up for you. Personally, winter has nothing to do with snow for me, I have no memories of a winter in snow, or even being that cold. So your poem isn’t touching me, and it’s making no effort to. You’re telling me what winter looks like. What does it smell like? Or feel like? Can you say that winter is a sled skimming black ice, drifting against the wind and slamming into an apple tree still pregnant with snow? Give me something that I can really sink my teeth in to and this will be more than an experiment, it will be a poem. In addition, adding some punctuation would probably connect your lines in a more linear fashion which would aid with reading it as a long “story” rather than list.

If you do add to this, please tell me, I’d like to see what you do. Any questions or queries, hit me up.

- Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres