37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:51 am
JudyG710 says...

For my friend out there. This is for you. <3

Why must we be so far away?
Why must we be doomed to be apart?
I wish to be yours, if I may
For you have stolen a piece of my heart.

Many times you have told me you wish the same
Wished for us to no longer be forlorn.
I brighten simply at the sound of your name
Yet, times without you, I am a dark storm.

We share so many qualities, you and I
Someday, I hope, we shall be together
You are indeed My Fine Alibi
No matter what, I am yours forever.
We are not close to one another, this is true
Though, nevertheless, I still love you.
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:31 am
Confused.pirate says...

This is cute! There are only a few things that I want to pick out...

I feel like some of the rhyming is forced...if you want to rhyme, by all means, go for it! But sometimes poetry can be conveyed much more powerfully without rhyme (in my opinion). I will always remember my creative writing professor explaining how sometimes rhyme can take away the beauty of a poem due to sacrificing some important and meaningful words just so you can manage to rhyme. Now, with that being said, I shall continue editing, rhymes and all :)

For you have stolen a piece of my heart. Good! I like this stanza

Wished for us to no longer be forlorn. Kind of wordy
Yet, times without you, I am a dark storm. Here's kind of a moment where rhyming kind of made it sound a little..corny to be honest. Instead maybe you could use more of a description? Like, "Without you my cries are thunder, tears/streaming down like rain" etc.

We share so many qualities, you and I
You are indeed My Fine Alibi Ehh...I get the picture, but I'd kind of rather see it, instead of just say it
We are not close to one another, this is true I used to force rhyme like this with these little phrases at the end..but it still sounds a little..awkward
Though, nevertheless, I still love you.

Okay with those little nit-picks I just have to say I think you have a lovely start with a perfect subject for an emotional poem :) I think one part that it lacks is the emotion. I want to feeeeel her pain. A way you can do this is showing what you're describing, not just telling. When you just tell it creates a distance from the speaker to the reader and we're not quite able to connect with the main character. If you use more description, imagery, and raw emotion, this could be beautiful :)

Keep writing!
<3 Sara.
"The differences in life are what create the challenges which open the door to discovery."

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 am
EnchantedPanda says...

Hello judyg3710,

I understand the feeling that you are trying to express in this poem and the message is conveyed very beautifully through your excellent language and way of phrasing everything. I think this is a really nice piece and I honestly thoroughly enjoyed reading this. You definitely have a talent with poetry and I think you have done an excellent job of this. This is a really sweet poem and i love the sheer beauty of your words and the flow in your writing and how cleverly you attacked this subject.

I have to agree with the previous reviewer when they said that the rhyming in this poem seems a little forced. You used good pairs of words but the writing didn't feel powerful because the writing had to evolve around the rhyming so that the words would work in the forced context. Don't get me wrong, your rhyming was very effective there were just a few parts that seemed forced and that took away the passion that you were trying to express.

My favorite line of this was definitely:
Because it was really powerful and an huge highlight of this fantastic poem. It is a perfect example of what I like about your writing and lines like these make poems worth reading. Excellent job!

Your spelling and grammar is of a very high quality and your language is very powerful. I love all of the deep language features and the style of writing you have used throughout this piece. Keep up the amazing writing, you are a very talented person. I look forward to seeing your work in the future!

From DreamingForever

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm
JudyG710 says...

I'd like to point out to everyone that this was just a school project I had to get done. I wasn't really trying to make it extremely perfect or anything, just good enough to pass the class. But, I do understand your points, and will think about them if I ever write more poetry. Thanks. Just had to point that out.
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 pm
Misfit says...

Hello, I'm Misfit and I'll be reviewing this piece today.

I really liked your work, the grammar and spelling was excellent and you had a great sense of rhythm in the poem. Very enjoyable.

For you have stolen a piece of my heart. I love this line. It's really dramatic.

Wished for us to no longer be forlorn.

We share so many qualities, you and I This line sounds a bit awkward to me.
You are indeed My Fine Alibi
We are not close to one another, this is true
Though, nevertheless, I still love you. Good way to end. You could even make this poem longer if you want.

Overall, I really liked your poem. I loved the language you used and I'm glad I was able to review it. I'm sorry if this review isn't the most helpful (sorry, it's mostly praise) but it is only my fifth. I still have a lot more learning to do.(:

Anyways, thank you for putting this up so that many others may enjoy it. Forever may you write.

~ Misfit ~
“Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
— Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian