with drooping faces; there is the creaking porch step
the half-finished, rotting dining table and
the red-eyed window panes of the ending day and
here the curtains close upon a middle-aged home
with tiny sprawling bedrooms and a little bit of flab
around the edges and an unobtrusive address
as the residence of love.

Suggestions for improvement and title welcome! :D
Last edited by bubblewrapped on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:15 am
Incandescence says...

Very...sweet. It was flagrant, and I think you wanted that. However, the ending "despite itself," didn't quite fit. I asked myself: Did I think it was not a residence of love? Your images were too sickly sweet for it to be anything other than a love poem. Perhaps that was your intent, perhaps not. Modify the poem so that it fits the end, or modify the end (which would include all of removing "despite") to fit the poem. I dislike the title, it sounds too cutesy, for my tastes, and the poem was too cutesy for my tastes, but I said, "hey, why not?" Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with the title. Fixing the poem would make that much easier. No?
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:45 am
bubblewrapped says...

You're right, the flagrant rambling-ness was intentional. I was trying to scare up inspiration, LOL, as well as trying to write around someone chatting on the phone as well as several other distractions. I admit the ending is a little rushed. As for the title - I HATE IT...but what can you do? I cant think of anything better. Perhaps I shall simply change it to 'Dusk', and let the poem speak for itself. The ending is still undergoing revision but hopefully one day I will hit on the right note. At least I accomplished 'sweet'. Because said house IS 'sweet'. An cutesey. So...yeah.

:shock:

lol.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:56 am
convintojm says...

i liked the feel of it. i agree about the ending though. the despite doesn't fit. but i think you accomplished the feel you were going for quite well and since i dont' have any better suggestions i'm not going to say anything on the title.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:47 am
bubblewrapped says...

Cheers, convintojm. I've altered 'despite itself' but I've just got in from an hour of hard work in the garden so dont expect any miracles.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:59 am
convintojm says...

i like it, but i'm not sure about the two ands in the last bit i think a comma or without and or the comma woudl be better (i know the horror of defying grammer i'm totally an anti comma person i think everyone should simply learn to read the invisible implied commas). so yeah that's my only thing now.

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight