z

Young Writers Society

A Letter from Vanilla Twilight

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 am
Daisuki says...

Spoiler! :
Alright, so I've been wanting to do this for a while. I just took the lyrics from Vanilla Twilight and tried to expand on the ideas. Sorry it's a little... choppy, and I don't think I caught the magic of the original, but oh well. Better to write sort-of-junk than to not write at all. And once again, my parents were no help with feedback, so I'm counting on all the young writers here! Thank you!

The song belongs to Adam Young/Owl City, and I'm just a fan who was inspired by it.
The stars seem closer tonight. They shine above me, and their light is so strong that it can travel those millions of miles. I wish mine could do that. I wish I could be big enough to reach, but without your presence, I can’t do a thing – I can only feel. And somewhere out there, I feel the stars lean down to kiss you. I want to do the same.

I am tired. I am tired of being without you. I can live, yes, and I can hear the sounds of everyday. But then… night comes, and the only thing I can do is lie awake and miss you. The entire right side of my body feels empty. Where is my warmth? it asks. Two days. I haven’t slept in two days, because that cold nostalgia chills me to the bone.

Do you remember the candle store you worked in? I miss seeing you with your brown hair scruffy and uncombed. The blue apron you always wore when you were working made me want to hug you, and when I did, I could smell the vanilla scent that had become a part of you. It was a waxy scent, the flavor a bit muffled but still unmistakable. If you were sitting beside me now, would I be able to wade in your air? Could I breathe it in – a heavy dose of your atmosphere? I want to, so badly.

I hear your voice in the trees. You whisper to me, but I can’t understand what you are saying. You sing to me, but I don’t get the words of your song. The stirring of the grass now plays a harmony. The dew drops shining take up the chorus. The wind welcomes the sun back and I watch the night turn light blue. How many times have we done this? My lips won’t stay still; they want to talk to you like they always did. These moments just aren’t the same without you. Return to me, my darling. It takes two – just you and me – to whisper quietly.

But then… I look at the sunrise. A cream color, a light orange, is seeping across the horizon. The stars are winking out, lost in this other brightness. There is a silence all around that I could get lost in, and for a second I think it might not be so bad.

Maybe, just maybe…

A glance at my hands brings back the sadness. I spread my fingers apart, and for some reason, I can only think of the fact that the spaces between my fingers are right where yours fit perfectly. Now they are empty, and I realize it is not my hand that I am staring at, but the gaps it presents. They are much like the holes you left in my life, and my heart. I continue to stare at them, and quiet my thoughts. Or maybe I’m not quieting them; maybe I’m letting so many free that they become incomprehensible.

A kind heart.

Deep purple eyes.

A vanilla scent.

A scent? Yes, the pale light of the sky carries the smell of you. I'm not imagining it - the morning is saturated with a soft breeze. Once in a while - yes! there it is! - I can breathe you in. So, drenched in this vanilla twilight, I’ll sit on the front porch the whole night, because I find that when I think of you, I don’t feel so alone.
I don’t feel so alone…

When your violet eyes get brighter, and the heavy wings on your back grow lighter, I’ll taste the sky that is so like you – and I’ll feel alive again. I’ll find repose in my memories of you in new ways. I’ll put aside this depression; I’ll forget the world of sadness that I knew. Even so, I swear I won’t forget you.

I’ve come to this now. This peace. I’ll break this mist I’ve been in, and I’ll doze off safe and soundly, finally. I’d doze off faster, though, if I could feel your arms around me. I’d send a postcard to you, dear, but I’m afraid it’d be too depressing.

What I really want is for you to be next to me.

And if my voice could reach as far as the stars’ light, through our past, I’d whisper in your ear–

“Oh, darling - I wish you were here.”
Last edited by Daisuki on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:05 am
tigershark17 says...

Wow-- this is very different. You have an excellent writer's voice; it's kind of sing songy. I have read other work that has kind of a poetic flow to it like this and didn't like it at all, but this was great! I was a little confused about who she is talking to, but overall, great job!
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm
View Likes
Belle says...

Beautiful. I've never heard the song you're referring to, but that's the beauty of it. I didn't need to hear the song to appreciate it. It's narrative poetry, almost, the way you wrote this. And it conveys an intense emotion that many people harbor deep down. It expresses what people in love are sometimes afraid to say aloud. It tries to capture the longing of a heart. Very well done.

Random avatar

Reviews: 26
Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 pm
L5na2 says...

an excellent piece of work. Very powerful and honest it makes one think about the way I felt if I lost someone.

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour