z

Young Writers Society

How to save a life

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:55 am
blonde&confused says...

I should hopefully add some more to it. Please tell me what you think.

Wendy stumbled from the bathroom towards her bedroom, barely conscious of her surroundings as all of her thoughts were centered around the treasured items that she was clutching to her chest.

Finally she reached her room and as soon as she was close enough, let herself topple down onto the bed. She squirmed, readjusting her position so that she was now lying flat on her back, the pills still cradled against her breast. She then reached for her bedside table and grappled at the bottle of vodka that she had been sipping at for most of the evening. Once she had secured it in her other hand, she swallowed the first of the pills, quickly gulping down dome the alcohol.

For a moment, the vodka tasted so foul as it burned it’s way down her throat that she thought she might spit it straight back out. Some quiet voice at the back of her mind informed her that it was unwise to mix alcohol and pills - that these actions might have dire consequences. She let out a low manic laugh, that got higher and higher as it filled her body.

“But that’s the whole point” she spat out between laughs.

She took another couple of pills and then turned to stare at a picture on her bedside table. As she stared at it, her noisy, violent laughter turned to silent tears. She reached out an unsteady hand to touch the photo. Just to touch it.

The photo was of a young boy with messy blonde hair, that had always been messy as he had never really been bothered enough to spend more than a couple of minutes on it. These beautiful locks had fallen out just a few months after this photo had been taken. Wendy felt more tears start to well up just behind her eyelids, threatening to spill, she instinctively shut her eyes and forced the tears back. This was the part that hurt more than anything else was. Remembering.

It was like a sweet torture, taunting her with dreams of smiles that she’d never see again, words that she’d never hear him speak. It was like someone giving you half of a cupcake and then taking the rest of it away so that all you could do is remember how good the first half was, and wondering whether the other half would have been sweet, or bitter.

Having pushed back the weight of her grief, Wendy studied the picture again. Even though no one even knew of his illness at this point, he was still slightly paler than normal and definitely thinner. His eyes were the same though, she thought. They still glittered at you like saphires. Or like they were laughing at some private joke, but would still love for you to join in.

Looking back, she thought as she gazed at the picture and downed another few pills, it was those eyes that she had fallen in love with first. Not that the rest of him wasn’t nice. But those eyes had been something different, special. They’d always seemed to see right through her. She cringed slightly as she imagined what his reaction would be like if he knew what she was doing right now. He's always seen suicide as the most cowardly thing anyone could do. Oh well, she mused, I’ll have eternity to make it up to him.

Her vision started to be marred by a red haze and she felt herself almost sink into the bed, as if she’d just come home from a long, long night out. Which, she supposed, theoretically she had. She’d had a very long, exhausting day, that just wasn’t fun anymore, and now she was going to go home... to him.

For a few more seconds she fought against the desire to pass out. She stretched out a hand that she could no longer really feel and clutched at the photo. She almost knocked it off the table in her daze, but managed to pull it onto the bed. Using the last of her strength, she brought the photo to her chest and clutched it there.

Wendy opened her eyes with surprise. She hadn’t really expected to open them again at all, so that in itself was a shock. But nothing was quite as surprising as her surroundings. Everything was white, as far as the eyes could see. And strangely, there was no other colours in the room, no grey shadows, no blue of sky, no green of earth. Just blinding white.

She sat up slightly. She looked again at her surroundings and gave an involuntary shiver, despite there being no wind. There was just something cold in the place’s atmosphere that chilled her to the bone. She got to her feet and started to walk forwards. She had no idea where she was going, but, she rationalized, it had to be better than this harsh, clinical place. She continued to walk, but although she could see herself moving across the floor, nothing changed. Everywhere stayed the same, the same white light. The same stillness.

She realized then exactly what was so creepy and ...wrong about this place. There was no sound. No movement. Not even the slightest gust of wind. She felt a wave of terror crash over her, but just as she had with the earlier wave of grief, she pushed it away from her.

“Hello?” She asked timidly, hearing her voice echo back to her. Another wave of terror hit her and this one she couldn’t quite resist. She felt her body start to tremble. She sat down and glared at her hand, willing it to stop shaking. She jumped as for the first time in this place she heard a sound. The sound of footprints.

She turned around sharply and found herself face to face with…Him. He smiled at her ruefully as if he was both happy and sad to see her at the same time. He said nothing though, just stood there, staring at her with blue eyes that sparkled like diamonds.
Last edited by blonde&confused on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
H. Edwards

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:59 am
JabberHut says...

Hello! You don't know me, but I was just browsing for pieces to crit and found yours critless! :o That can't be! *starts to read*

leaving the Bathroom as immaculate as she had entered it

Lowercase "bathroom." ^^

Finally she reached her room and lurched towards her bed. As soon as she was close enough, she let herself topple down onto the bed

Repeating "bed" gets a tad annoying. In fact, you can delete the highlighted part then edit it so the two sentences become one like this: "Finally, she reached her room and, as soon as she was close enough, let herself topple onto her bed."

and grappled at the bottle of vodka

I think "for" would work better here, especially since you use "at" later on in the sentence.

quickly gulping down dome the alcohol

Does dome really work here? Maybe it's jargon I haven't heard before, but it doesn't make sense to me. You could delete "dome".

the vodka tasted so foul as it burned it’s way down her throat

"Its" rather, :wink:

She let out a low manic laugh, that got higher and higher as it filled her body

No comma ^^

The photo was of a young boy with messy blonde hair, that had always been messy as he had ever really been bothered enough to spend more than a couple of minutes

No comma. Do you mean "never?"

Wendy felt more tears start to well up just behind her eyelids, threatening to spill, she instinctively shut her eyes and forced the tears back.

Okay, um...let's make this two sentences. Put a period after "spill" instead of that comma. Also, as you do that, add more to the first sentence. Spill down what? Down her cheeks? :wink:

This was the part that hurt more than anything else was. Remembering

Either use a colon after "was" or rephrase so it makes one sentence. Your choice. ^^

It was like a sweet torture

Delete that highlighted part.

They still glittered at you like they were blue diamonds. Or like they were laughing at some private joke, but would still love for you to join in.

I don't know if diamonds are blue, so maybe blue sapphires will work? Also, this should be one sentence. Put a comma after "diamonds" (or sapphires if you change it).

Looking back, she thought as she gazed at the picture and downed another few pills, it was those eyes that she had fallen in love with first. Not that the rest of him wasn’t nice

Rephrase this, pleases? If I edit it by deleting that comma after pills, it'll be long and irritating. Try something along these lines:

"She gazed at the picture and downed another few pills as she thought to herself that it was those eyes that she had fallen in love with"

A little more work and it'll be wonderful. ^^ (you can delete that last part in your original sentence: "Not that the rest of him wasn't nice" )

But those eyes had been something different, special.

Get rid of "but" :wink:

if he knew she was doing this.

Doing what?

sink into the bed, as if she’d just come home from a long, long night out. Which, she supposed, theoretically she had.

No comma ^^ and it should be all one sentence.

She’d had a very long, exhausting day, that just wasn’t fun anymore, and now she was going to go home. To him

Delete that comma and period. If you want a dramatic approach, don't use a period. Rather, use a comma or three dots (...). I'd use the latter.

And bizarrely, there was no other colours in the room, no grey shadows, no blue of sky, no green of earth. Just blinding white.

That's a weird word. How about "strangely"? Also, instead of that period to separate the sentences, use two dashs (--) or I think you used one dash with spaces on each side (earth - just blinding white). I use two dashes XD

She continued to walk, but although she could herself moving across the floor, nothing changed.

Put commas around that word. Also, she could...what herself? hear? :wink:

She realized then exactly what was so creepy about this place

Rephrase! ^^ "She realized, then, what was so creepy about this place."
Just a possibility.

“Hello?” She asked timidly,

How about "called" instead? She didn't exactly meet anyone to ask.

She jumped as for the first time in this place she heard a sound. The sound of footprints

Use a colon or a dash to connect these sentences.

found herself face to face with…Him.

You don't need to capitalize. If you want emphasis on the word, use italics.

sparkled like diamonds.

If you change it earlier, put sapphires here as well. ^^

Overall, lovely story. It has much potential, very much potential! You could put more description on her fear. You did well, but I can tell you can do better.

I hope you're going to continue this. I'm curious as to how she met him and where they are now. I didn't exactly grow attatched to the main character, but I expect character development will come in time.

Any questions or comments, PM me! I'm always happy to help and am always open for rants! :lol:

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

Random avatar

Reviews: 125
Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:40 pm
SASSYLADY333 says...

Um...well the person before me, pretty much said it all. :). About the grammar i mean.
And i really liked it and i can't wait to see more...;).

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:24 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Yes, please check the grammar.

But what I liked about this was that as the story "intensified" towards the middle, becoming more "pretty" and lyrical.

The problem is that your reader has to suffer through...somewhat of a boring intro. The story moves too slow for something so serious as this. Cut to the chase, become an editor's dream, and either cut out the unnecessary parts, which would be a few beginning sentences, or make the writing so good that it'll draw your reader in, if not for the whole thing.

The ending was very interesting, not too predictable. But you didn't give us enough information. Did the boy really die?

We have to assume some things, that she did die. And that he died too.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Grammar.

Punctuation.

These need to be checked before any post - that's why the spell checker it there! - and then you need to read through your own piece and make sure that pieces make sense to the reader and that they flow correctly.

The idea was... okay... not too unoriginal, but I have to admit, we've all read something along these lines now or then. Both your sentence and paragraph structure wasn't too bad and at least you understand the concept of not blocking everything together.

One thing I'll say is; proofread all posts before clicking the "Submit" button, just to make sure that what you're giving to the reader is of your best ability.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:24 am
Weatherthestorm says...

Wow. I'm not much of a stickler for grammar, though I did notice a lot of stuff that should have been caught or fixed. But i'm more into the content of things. I think that you had a nice, gradual development of events and exposition. Some of the other stories I've read here tend to come out and leave too many obvious clues. Also, I feel that your story would have been stronger if you kept it out of second person view. You didn't necessarily start out strong enough with that to be able to carry a linear story while switching inbetween your point of views.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:41 pm
woodland wolf says...

hi i loved the ending! bit annoying that it ended just like that but thats good. =] bit confused at why shes trying to kill herself if you have time could you please pm me im intrested in this charater now =] can feel that, that you have loads of talent waiting in you. keep writing bye!!!!!xx

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:48 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...

well most everything has been critiqued that needs to be critiqued, but i did catch a few more plot-based things.

Having pushed back the weight of her grief, Wendy studied the picture again. Even though no one even knew of his illness at this point, he was still slightly paler than normal and definitely thinner.

this makes it sound like he's still living and noone knows he has cancer, even though his hair is gone. try "Even though no one knew of his illness when the photo was snapped his complexion was noticible paler, and his face was thinner than normal."

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright