z

Young Writers Society

Voices

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:24 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Removed by the author for purposes of publication.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Last edited by Duskglimmer on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:32 pm
Ego says...

Dusky.....jeez this was good to read--it totally reflects me, even though I know it's not...

I really liked this. Alot.

I have but one nit-pick--I didn't notice much a of a character difference between the four voices...perhaps if you better defined them with a specific emotion/ outlook it would be more efficient? Maybe i'm just not reading it correctly...

In anycase, I really enjoyed this. Great job.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

447 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:36 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Thanks. I was hoping that I did a good job on it, but it as sort of hard to write, considering that I'm the Jen character in real life.

I thought about naming the voices. Like One would have been "Common Sense", Two would have been "Furious", Three would have been "Head Over Heels", and Four would have been "Memory". Would that work better? Or should I just try to redo some of the dialouge to make things a little clearer?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:36 pm
Meshugenah says...

I like this. Little bit of a gollum thing going on, but which of us doesn't have a few voices in our heads arguing?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:37 pm
Ego says...

Actually I like the numbers. Generic, yet interesting. If you just change the dialogue and the WAY they do things, like stompin around for Two instead of walking around....you know?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

447 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:39 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Okay. I'll work on that and see if I can't revise it a little.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:45 pm
Areida says...

Good Lord, Dusky. No wonder you won "Best Writer"!!

This was incredible. I loved it... it was clever, creative, evocative.

Man.

Maybe you could tweak it a bit to make the personalities of the voices a bit more defined. Other than that, I adored it. Fan-tab-u-lus.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

447 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:19 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*laughs and blushes* thanks... tweaking is under way...
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:06 am
Kilty says...

This is a great story. I like how you personified different parts of the brain. It's really imaginative! I do suggest giving each one a more distinct personality, so that through their differences you can see how they work together--I dunno. It is an interesting concept. Anyway, great story. Is there more to it?

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:36 pm
lon_205 says...

That was really original and enjoyable. I liked the way you portrayed the different sides you were feeling, something we've all felt. Great job :)

447 Reviews

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:42 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Thanks to both of you.

Kilty wrote:Is there more to it?

Not at this time. The main character (Kate), is giving me some trouble because of just how emotional this topic is for me. I wrote it to try and figure out what this other girl was thinking, so Kate is not really me. Although, the more I'm sitting here and thinking about this, I think it might be fun to do a little more. Maybe in a different place, little different situation.

I'll think about it. If other people would be interested in reading more, it may become more probable.
Boo. SPEW is watching.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:59 pm
DarkerSarah says...

A little too emo and reminiscent of Gollum for my taste, but very well written. I'm not sure if you changed it around since Hunter's post, but I could clearly tell which number was which emotion. That seems like it would be difficult. It's also very keen to real, natural teenage emotions.

The end was strong, but the dialogue you gave the guy was weak. It held no emotion, and I don't think three was prominent enough when he spoke to Kate. I mean, obviously all of the emotions would be strong, but it seems to me (this is just a personal opinion, of course) that three would try to be a little more forceful.

Wow! You must have done a better job than I first thought, since I'm getting so into the emotions and the numbers.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:49 pm
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Ohhhhh I loved the idea! Nice job..
<3 Lindsey

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:36 pm
Crysi says...

...Wow. I love this. So much. If ever you want to see the chaos that constantly goes on in my mind, this definitely shows it. Although my chaos is usually with two, maybe three voices. Not four.

I hope you write more. This was really great!
Love and Light

447 Reviews

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:16 am
Duskglimmer says...

Thanks! I've got a sequel in the works right now...
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau