z

Young Writers Society

Featherweight

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:28 pm
Lyrical says...

OK, I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I don't know where else to post it! If you have any suggestions, tell me!

Featherweight

I hold the feather up into the wind, watching it shudder back and forth. The wind tugs at its fragile and ragged form; relentless; just waiting for me to relax my fingers and give it up to the wild and unforgiving gusts. I imagine the feeling of it slipping from my grasp; whipped away in a second; forever lost. I grip tighter.
I think of holding your hand, of you pulling away, and of me refusing to let go. I think of how far away you are, and remember the day you left; how my eyes stung, but not with tears. It was the bitter cold, the ferocious wind. It tore you away from me.
It feels odd without you, but I have grown used to it. The feather is really fighting me now. It wants to be free, to soar and fall; to fly. I suddenly understand that deep desire. My chest feels empty, as though something huge that once occupied it has unexpectedly abandoned its post. I let go.
The feather vanishes, seeming to become part of the air around it. And just like that all the care I had for you slides away, to be carried off by the wind. It doesn’t even put up a fight, and my heart continues to beat, regardless. The tears finally come: tears of shock and disbelief. I sit on the grass and feel the loss keenly, as though I have just discovered that what I always believed to be a diamond is, in fact, merely plastic, and worthless.
And so it ends. I wonder how I could ever have called it love.
Into the caverns of tomorrow,
With just our flashlights and our love,
We must plunge, we must plunge, we must plunge.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:38 pm
mystical*dragons says...

(Welcome to YWS, by the way!) Yes, this is in the right section. I like this piece a lot, you have displayed the emotions really well. It almost has a poetic feel to it, and I was hoping there'd be more to this. It was a bit too short for my taste, but I liked it all the same.

"I sit on the grass and feel the loss keenly, as though I have just discovered that what I always believed to be a diamond is, in fact, merely plastic, and worthless"

You started pretty good in this sentence, but I didn't like the diamond being worthless part. I don't know, to me it just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe it's just me.

You could really make this into a great piece if you add more to it. Keep up the good work! :D
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:57 am
Melodie says...

I really like this. I love all the different elements in it that add to her emptiness and loss(the feather, the wind, etc) I don't think it's too short at all. That's how I write, in small pieces then after a while I see how they all fit together or how they fit into groups.
"Sorry I didn't recognize you. I've changed a lot." Oscar Wilde

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:02 pm
Amice says...

Aahhh...
I love it.!!!
I feel like this was written from my heart!
Just to combine the first two reviews, I don't think it's too short, and I don't care for the diamond part.
Very descriptive!
Good job =D>

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Whiterose24 says...

I really liked me this. I got shivers when the feather flew away.. I loved how you describe every detail. It was so worth those one minute of reading!! <3 I truly loved it! =))
I hope life isn't a joke, because I don't get it.

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic