z

Young Writers Society

The Yellow Sheets

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 am
mikepyro says...

Spoiler! :
Story of the yellow fever outbreak that took place in the late 1800s in new York city. So many died that when it rained the sheets used to wrap the bodies would rise to the surface of the streets.

Mud rises up around the heel of my boot with every step, soaking to the frayed ties before sinking back into the prints left behind. The rain has gone yet the mud remains. Beneath the mud come the heads of the sheets.

I won’t take this path again.

When I get home it’s gotten worse. Specks of dried blood cover the edges of her nostrils, rubbed raw from the constant presence of the handkerchiefs that lay balled up around her. Shadows under the eyes, so dark. I sit beside her and ask how she’s doing. She offers me a weak laugh as though I’ve said something funny.

I take her hand in mine and rub it. The ring on her finger shines dull. I remark on the condition, offer to shine it for her. She smiles. She doesn’t want it to be gone, says it reminds her of me, especially when I’m at the docks. I could take some time off, the boys would understand, but she shakes her head and tells me no, that I need to keep busy. I worry too much when I’m not distracted. I need to keep busy, keep distracted.

I give her the medicine the doctor left us. Almost empty. On ration now. I tell her I’ll find some more. I promise her. She rubs my cheek and smiles again. It won’t matter, she tells me, the medicine never works. It makes me feel better though, knowing I can give her something, anything, even if it’s nothing.

We play a game of bridge together. The coughing starts again, soon she can’t hold the cards. They fall from her pale fingers. I tell her it’s okay, she should rest. She tells me she’s tired of resting. She wants to cook for me. I tell her no, I’ll cook something. But I’m a horrible cook, she tells me. I ask her that she stop reminding me. Maybe she would if she didn’t need to eat.

Outside the bells begin to ring. There’s pounding from the floor above. The bells grow louder. I rise from the bed and make my way to the window. Down the block there comes the cart. They hold the yellow sheets. Not as many people answer their doors as yesterday, but there’s still a few. Mrs. Carlyle can’t carry her husband. The men moving the cart assist her.

The men on the docks whisper around me. They wonder if I have it. They worry I’ll pass it on. I let them talk. The boxes are heavier today. Blankets, medical supplies, more than we’ve ever unloaded before.

It’s getting worse, I know it. There’s no Irish arriving. No more Polish. No more English. The ships are carrying fewer to our land every day. We unload cargo at the base of the statue now. Every time I turn around I read the words upon the plaque. Bring me your tired, your sick, but no one wants to come. There’s smoke in the distance from where the bodies burn.

The smell fills the street. The mayor says the methods had to change. They’re still burying the sheets that hold the dead, beneath the roads, on the sides of the streets. But the roads are getting smaller, the fires growing bigger. I think they’re running out of room.

The doctor doesn’t enter our home anymore; he says it’s too much of a risk. He drops his bottles off on our doorstep and moves on his way. There are others who need him more, he says. I don’t tell her that I hit him.

Her skin is yellow. There’s a long splotch across our bedspread now. She can’t help herself. She cries whenever a new stain comes. I tell her it’s okay, it’s not her fault. I clean her legs. I wash what I can. There’s not enough sheets to keep up. I hold her hand for hours and we talk. We talk about what we’ll do when it’s over, all the ferry rides we’ll take, how we’ll see the city grow. I talk more. She listens.

From across the street Mrs. Carlyle exits her home carrying her violin. She begins to play like she did for the burrows before the fever hit. It’s not a sad song. It’s quite beautiful, quite hopeful. I wish I knew the lady better.

I turn to my wife and offer a smile. I nod my head to the tempo and do a little swanlike dance as best I can. She laughs. Her skin stretches tight along her cheeks. Her shoulders shake. She sneezes suddenly and her hand fills with blood. She’s laughing still, as the blood runs down her nose. I try to wipe it with a handkerchief but she knocks my hand away. It’s so bizarre, her laugh, so strong. It reminds me of before.

She calls my name at night. I lift myself from the thin blanket that covers the floorboards at the foot of our bed. She’s shaking worse. I can’t hold her. Her nightgown stains the color of the sheets. A red pool forms at the base of the neckline. I try and grab her hand. One of her nails comes away in my grasp. I want to scream but I hold it down for her.

I give her the last of the medicine. Her dry lips suck at the rusted metal. The shaking stops. She doesn’t speak, the shaking’s stopped.

The fires are strong. The smell is in the air. The bells are ringing. The cart is here.

They ask me if I need help moving her. I tell them I want to carry her myself. They say that it’ll be okay, that at least I’m not sick. I don’t respond. When I ask them where they’re taking her they tell me they’ll find a place among the graves, that she won’t be burned.

I head towards the docks. Along the way I see the sheets again; they cover the road. A field of them, so bright. I wonder where she is. Am I standing on her now?
Last edited by mikepyro on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 11 times in total.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:17 pm
roxywriter1573 says...

Oh my goodness. This story is so so so powerful! I wanted to cry, it's filled with emotion and i can feel how he does. I can see what she looks like and it kills me just to think that it actually happens. The ending is very ery strong. There is nothing to be changed in this. it is 100% amazing. Wonderful Job.

Keep on writing
-Roxy
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."
-Confucious

FoxyRoxy <3
Don't judge a book by it's movie
Lisa, vampires are make-believe, like elves, gremlins, and eskimos
-Homer Simpson

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm
KilljoyRetardedFish says...

I loved it. The reality, and the love that the man had for his wife. Even though generally I don't like stories that show the actual dialogue, I especially enjoyed this one. It let you imagine how they said it, and with how much emotion. However, one thing did bother me. I saw no exact setting, just that it is set most likely around a war. Hopefully my review will help you somewhat.
I am not you, and you are not me.
We cannot understand each other.
Though we could try, we won't completely.
The effort however, will keep us together.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm
Sierra says...

Here I am to tel you how awesome you are :)
Really, this is amazing. Powerful and deep and sad and haunting and also kind of creepy - but the other stuff balances that out very well. I think the very opening paragraph is confusing where it is. I had to read it twice after I finished the story to understand it, and a few times before until I gave up.
Nitpicks:
Beneath the mud there come the heads of the sheets.
This line is a little awkward sounding. It doesn't really flow, but it's important. I think you should take out the 'there'
*I think the ending needs a little work. I don't feel like the story is done, I'm waiting for the next line. It's just the very ending line, it doesn't really do anything for me.
*The whole illness thing confused me a bit at first. I think you need to explain it sooner. I got that she was sick. And then that everyone was getting sick. But I wasn't sure with what - was it set during a historical event or something you made up - until very close to the end.
There’s at least one in every family that has it, but none of their wives have it.
This is kind of clunky. I think it would sound better if you tried something like 'At least one in every family has it, but none of their wives do.'
*I love it. A lot. Really. It's beautiful and creeped me out quite a bit, so a tip of the hat to you for being able to achieve that. I think I may just follow you now :)
Love Sierra
What a shame,
We used to be such fragile broken things.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 pm
thecamillecalalas says...

This story is heavy, really heavy. And you've made it seem like, you're capable enough to be in this level. I see no doubt from you as you wrote the story. And you're definitely sure of what you're writing. Good job.

It makes me feel better though, knowing I can give her something, anything, even if it’s nothing.

This is..beautiful. It's beyond cute, actually. It portrays the unselfish love of a man, which is really touching.

Also, I think you just have to improve your transitions, because it's kind of confusing how you change scenes.

But overall, you've done well!!
"There's a touch of madness in every great mind."

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 pm
cammie says...

wow this was so amazing i don't even know how to begin. it was so so so so so so so so so sad! i almost cried. it was amazingly well written, and the love was shown clearly even without dialogue. so, basically i loved it. keep writing! it was a piece that made me read faster each word. so emoitional and deep. but like someone else said, establish setting. that's all. thanks!
-Cammie
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to persue them" -Walt Disney
:-)

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:41 pm
tigershark17 says...

WOw; this was amazing! Very sad, but it just dripped with raw emotion. I love stories like this. Excellent job!!
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:26 am
katchaerin says...

This is simply amazing. Shorts without dialogues usually bore me, but your work totally made me sit up straight on my chair and read the piece like it would be the last story I would ever read. Bravo.

Previous reviews mentioned lack of the establishment of a setting. I'm not quite sure too but this is about AIDS, right? I mean, some hints tell me it might take place somewhere in Africa. And I guess it explains why the people in your short burned their dead instead of burying it.

They ask me if I need help moving her. I tell them I want to carry her myself. They say that it’ll be okay, that at least I’m not sick. I don’t respond. When I ask them where they’re taking her, they tell me they’ll find a place among the graves, that she won’t be burned.

I head towards the docks. Along the way I see the sheets again. They cover the road. A field of them, so bright. I wonder where she is. Am I standing on her now?

I love how you came up with such a strong and lovable MC. Even the other characters were so real.

Keep writing. :) I can't wait to read more of your works. Kudos!

-KAT <3
REVIEW!!!
'cause I review back. XD XD XD

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:34 pm
Areida says...

Overall - loved it. I thought your sense of detail and pacing were both spot-on. Because it was so good, however, I have just a few little nit-picks for you - places to really refine to make it even it better.

Specks of dried blood cover the edges of her nostrils, rubbed raw from the constant presence of the handkerchiefs that lay balled up around her.

I thought you could have said this better. I get that it's the constant rubbing on her nose from the handkerchiefs that have made her skin raw, but it almost sounds like the handkerchiefs just laying there, balled up around her, have made her nose raw.

She doesn’t want it to be gone, says it reminds her of me, especially when I’m at the docks.

I think this would stick better with a break. i.e. "She doesn't want it to be gone. She says it reminds her of me - especially when I'm at the docks."

I give her the medicine the doctor’s left us.

No apostrophe in "doctors" here.

One thing I'd suggest you hone in on for future improvement is your use of commas. For instance:
I tell her it’s okay, she should rest.

It’s getting worse, I know it.

When I ask them where they’re taking her, they tell me they’ll find a place among the graves, that she won’t be burned.

I saw several of these, but it's clear that you know how to use semicolons well too ("The doctor doesn’t enter our home anymore; he says it’s too much of a risk.") so really try to capitalize on that. Don't let yourself fall prey to the comma splices when you've got such lovely prose.

I especially enjoyed the way you portrayed the interactions between the narrator and his wife. You added in lots of unexpected little details that made their relationship seem very realistic. The last line absolutely took the breath out of me. Very well done short story. Thanks for the read!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

27 Reviews

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm
dancingmangos says...

This is perfection!! The right length, depth, thought sequence. I especially liked how the girl doesn't talk, since it reinforces the idea that she's done for, has no more life here on Earth. It was also interesting how neither of them have names. Usually that would bother me, but it didn't in this story.

Beautiful; you portrayed the human numbness of loss very well.

Keep writing!
"The core of the human spirit comes from new experiences."

27 Reviews

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm
dancingmangos says...

This is perfection!! The right length, depth, thought sequence. I especially liked how the girl doesn't talk, since it reinforces the idea that she's done for, has no more life here on Earth. It was also interesting how neither of them have names. Usually that would bother me, but it didn't in this story.

Beautiful; you portrayed the human numbness of loss very well.

Keep writing!
"The core of the human spirit comes from new experiences."

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 pm
BluesClues says...

Hello, and thank you for entering my contest, "The Little Things."

You're a really good writer, and I really enjoyed the story. But presumably the wife has yellow fever, and if this is the case then I'm not sure she'd be strong or lucid enough to talk to and play cards with her husband. Also, if this is one of the malarial epidemics that hit the U.S. in the past, the city would've been close to deserted - the only people still around would be the people who couldn't get away, fever victims and their families, perhaps people too poor or unconnected to go anywhere else. And of course the men pushing the carts, calling, "Bring out your dead!"

I'm not really sure where the little moment is - I mean, yes, the husband and wife talk a lot, which is nice and actually gives some characterization and insight into their marriage, but there's not really a moment that really hit me. Still, this was a great story. You're writing is good, and I liked that there was no real dialogue, only paraphrasing, and that the main characters aren't named. That always makes for a unique and interesting story. Awesome job.

~Blue

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 pm
Alliaaryn5665 says...

Hi,

Good job! Though, I do have to say, I don't really like the first paragraph. It wasn't very strong to me. The last line, also, didn't do much for me. I really liked this. It was sweet and sad. I liked it's length. Congrats on a phenominal piece.

Farewell,
A.
You think you are any different from me,or yourfriends?Or this tree?If you listenhard enough,you canhear every living thingbreathing together.You canfeel everything growing.We are all living togethereven if most folksdon't act like it.We all havethe same roots,and we are allbranches of the sametree.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 pm
SkyeDreamer says...

This was really sad and powerful, even more so because it is based on a real event. I have a nitpick:
When I get home it’s gotten worse.
That doesn't sound right to me; I can't quite think of another way to say it, but at least add a comma, maybe. It isn't big, just a little thing I thought I'd point out.
The ending wasn't super powerful, but I liked it because it showed how he missed his wife while still being sort of abrupt.
The first paragraph didn't do much in the writing; it seemed like a beginning of a movie almost, but I didn't think it helped in a significant way. That said, it wasn't awful, I am just agreeing with what someone else said.
It can be a little confusing about where they are; I knew because of the spoiler, but I definitely would not have known without you telling us. All in all, I thought this was really good. Maybe it could use a tiny bit of editing, but I enjoyed it and thought it was really emotional.
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:17 pm
JustMeNathalie says...

Beautifully heartbreaking.

The love for his wife is so wonderful and how he cared for her and wanted her to be okay... it's so sad! And the way you wrote this, how the narrator showed and didn't tell the reader what was happening in the story... it is magnificent.

I turn to my wife and offer a smile. I nod my head to the tempo and do a little swanlike dance as best I can. She laughs. Her skin stretches tight along her cheeks. Her shoulders shake. She sneezes suddenly and her hand fills with blood. She’s laughing still, as the blood runs down her nose. I try to wipe it away with the handkerchief but she knocks my hand away. It’s so bizarre, her laugh, so strong, it reminds me of before.

^ It makes me smile reading this. His wife is happy and she's laughing. After reading this I hoped that she actually might live.

I head towards the docks. Along the way I see the sheets again. They cover the road. A field of them, so bright. I wonder where she is. Am I standing on her now?

^ This seriously brought tears to my eyes. It's so heart wrenching. This whole story is marvolous. You did a fantastic job on something that was so horrible and made one of the many stories of that time into something beautiful. Yet sad. Does that make sense? I love this story. Great job.

- JustMe
I don't obsess.

I think.

Intensely.

-----

Excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't make themselves.

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat