z

Young Writers Society

What Sarah Said

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 am
lukasagitta says...

A/N: Rated 16+ for language, subject matter, etc. This is obviously based on the song "What Sarah Said" by Death Cab For Cutie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I483tB12SyE <---The music video, in case you're curious.

Spoiler! :
I wrote this ages ago, but after I edited it again today, I still like it, so... Is the voice believable? Is the opening line too weak? Should I change the title to "What Claire Said"? Any feedback is very appreciated!

What Sarah Said

"Hey, Ben. I think I'm sick."

I clenched my fists in my lap and squeezed my eyes shut. That damn "No Smoking Please" sign was giving me a headache--literally. It was the "please" part that made me nauseous, though. As if I needed any more nauseating things--the smell of this place was bad enough. It reeked of piss and chlorine and day-old vomit. Hardly sanitary, if you asked me.

My hands shook as I fingered the lighter in my pocket. I couldn't tell if this was helping or hurting me, the feeling of the smooth metal beneath my fingers. Not that it mattered. I tried to picture the lighter in my head--just a plain solid red, nothing special. Except, it was the one I was using when she told me--

"Goddammit," I said, standing up. After scanning the room, I noticed that nearly everyone was staring at their shoes, either pacing or sitting, as if they were afraid to look up for some reason. It was too damn quiet and the tension was driving me mad.

When I ran out the door, I wasn't surprised that no one noticed; they were all locked in their heads until someone called their name, probably. As soon as I was out of the building, I lit up, savoring the sweet taste of six-hundred toxic chemicals. The thrill rushed in as I breathed the fresh air, tainted by the smoke in my lungs.

I heard Claire's voice in my head, drenched in sarcasm: "Hey, Ben, does that taste good? I always wanted to try some cyanide. And let's not forget ammonia! You haven't lived until you’ve tasted that." And then I saw her--those big brown eyes rolling at me as I said something stupid, hands on her hips, a smile tugging at her lips even as she yelled at me--

I took a long drag, exhaling sharply. The tension that had soaked into my skin in that--that room--floated out of me. My hands stopped shaking, and I pressed by thumb against the metal grinder. Stared at the flame. Watched it flicker. I couldn't look at anything else. I watched the orange and the yellow and the shades in between blend together, trembling in the wind.

It got me thinking about time. When my finger got tired, the flame would go out. Or if someone bumped into me. Or if a strong wind blew by. Or if the lighter broke. Anything. It was so easy for the flame to go out at a moment's notice. So fragile, even though it could burn cities to the ground.

Claire and I were supposed to go to a keg party tomorrow. And eventually, I was supposed to stop being a douchebag to her, treat her right, tell her that it wasn't just her goddess tits that kept me around… But plans are just that, I guess--plans.

I played with my lighter for at least five minutes, hoping they hadn't called me while I was out here getting my fix. Tossed the cigarette to the ground and ground it under my heel. As I made my way back into the room, no one bothered to look up.

The smoke had cleared my head, so I took everything in again as I sat down. I could still smell the smoke on my clothes, like an old friend. Inhaling, I looked to my left. According to the magazine cover on the desk next to me, some big-name celebrity was adopting some African kid. Over a year ago. The TV was on mute, and it was so far away that I couldn't even try to read the captions. I figured all this was just scenery--no one actually read the magazines or tried to watch the TV. At least, even if they were looking at them, their mind was somewhere else entirely. When my name was called, for example, I was remembering something Claire had told nothing in particular one night, when she thought I was asleep.

"Love is watching someone die."

I stood up immediately and walked to the door, nearly tripping over my own feet. The nurse gave me a kind smile. I wondered how many times a day she had to force a smile, and came to the sudden realization that everything was too white.

The nurse guided me to Room 207, and told me something important, but all I could hear was, "Love is watching someone die," in an endless loop. I wondered if that was all I'd have--memories, I mean. Fucking at every party in whatever empty room we could find. Holding her hand in that maze because she was afraid we'd get lost. Looking out at the view of suburbia from a local fair ferris wheel, somehow feeling like it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen just because she was next to me. All these things--I couldn't touch them anymore. They weren't Claire, and they would disappear a bit every day. Eventually, I'd have nothing left.

I walked inside the room and sat down in the chair beside the bed. Looked at all those machines and the four white walls and listened to the constant beeps and smelled the chemicals in the air. Then I looked at Claire, and I wondered if she regretted meeting me--or if I regretted meeting her. I used to breeze through life without giving a damn. It was just easier that way. After all, if you had nothing, nothing could be taken away. But now I had something--whatever it was--and it was leaving me.

"You ditching me, Claire?" I asked, in an abnormally high-pitched voice. "Well, took you long enough." My voice cracked. I felt like I was going through a second puberty.

I didn't want her to go. God, I didn't want her to go. I really, really, really didn't want her to go. I hadn't told her that I-- She couldn't go. She just couldn't.

I put my hand on top of hers and squeezed. Thought that if I could touch her, she wouldn't just float up into the ceiling or something. I knew people left even if you were holding onto them as tightly as you could, but--it didn't hurt to try.

I watched her chest rise and fall like the tide for what seemed like years, my hand still squeezing hers. And then the water was still as the EKG flatlined.

Claire's hands were cold.
Last edited by lukasagitta on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 am
talkingbird says...

The voice is very believable! Like, as I was reading this I definitely got the feeling of the character. But in the beginning I didn't realize that he was ben and it took me until about half way through to figure out. So, maybe if you add more to the beginning or replace some things (I feel like you need to cut some things out because a lot of times the paragraphs don't exactly flow). Also in the beginning of one paragraph you said "Me and claire were..." and it should be "Claire and I were..." unless that was stylistic and trying to have realistic thoughts... but like still. I also think you should describe their relationship a little more because I got a little confused at times.... but overall the tone and voice was VERYY good.
also... I've been listening to DCFC alllllll day on repeat and RIGHT as i stated to ead this What Sarah Said (my favorite) came on and the line 'love is watching someone die' played RIGHT as i read the same line :) hahaha i just went to their concert...
good job!
"I am still so naive;
I know pretty much what I like and dislike;
But please, don't ask me who I am. A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?

-Sylvia Plath

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm
HenPen says...

This was really, really amazing, it gave me goosebumps and I thought I was going to cry! It was really fluid and easy to read, and just so beautiful, I could feel the emotion from the characters just oozing out of your writing!

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm
Priceless says...

Hey there,
This was great!! I didn't find any problems with it at all. It was amazing. :) I could really feel what the character was going through, the writing just flowed so well. Awesome :)
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm
shadowraiki says...

Whoa. She's dead. That was totally unexpected. I at first thought that Ben was in a rehab center, but that really caught me off guard. It's a very tragic tale. Everything that happened was so vivid and realistic. I felt like I was sitting on Ben's shoulder as I watched him through this ordeal. Heck, I could imagine a tear dripping down his eye and onto Claire's hand. All of the characters were believable and so was the dialouge.

Regarding grammar, there isn't much to say.

The "please" part just made me nauseous, though.

This sentence sounds wrong. I would say something more like, "Though it was mainly just the 'please' part that made me nauseous."

When I ran out the door, I wasn't surprised that no one noticed; they were all locked in their heads until someone called their name, probably. As soon as I was out of the building, I lit up, savoring the sweet taste of six-hundred toxic chemicals. The thrill rushed in as I breathed the fresh air, tainted by the smoke in my lungs.

I heard Claire's voice in my head, drenched in sarcasm: "Hey, Ben, does that taste good? I always wanted to try some cyanide. And let's not forget ammonia! You haven't lived until you’ve tasted that." And then I saw her--those big brown eyes rolling at me as I said something stupid, hands on her hips, a smile tugging at her lips even as she yelled at me--

I absolutely love those two paragraphs. Ben acknowledges that smoking is bad for him, but he doesn't care. But the constant mentioning of Claire as a guardian angel shows they he really did love her. After all, he wouldn't care to remember someone he didn't like. I also liked the mention of cyanide and ammonia, two deadly chemicals. There needs to be more cyanide in stories.

Claire and I were supposed to go to a keg party tomorrow. And eventually, I was supposed to stop being a douchebag to her, treat her right, tell her that it wasn't just her goddess tits that kept me around… But plans are just that, I guess--plans.

This establishes Ben as a normal human being. He's not beyond anyone, or below anyone. He's just average Ben. It also makes us hate him a little, though we take that back at the end.

"You ditching me, Claire?" I asked, in an abnormally high-pitched voice. "Well, took you long enough." My voice cracked. I felt like I was going through a second puberty.

His voice cracked, he's about to cry. It was cute.
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:19 am
PurpleShade says...

Oh my goodness.
This was very stirring. I have to admit, of course, I only began to read it because the title had "Sarah" in it, and that's my name, and I'm... just... so awesome...that I like my name on things. Shush.
However, seeing as there's no Sarah whatsoever in the story, but I STILL liked it... well let's just say, that's testimony to your fabulous story-telling skills.

Except no, that's not right... this isn't a story. It's too real to be a story. It's fantastic. I don't want to seem gushy, but I really haven't much to do except gush.
Well... I suppose I could not gush about the first line. Yes, in my opinion it's a little weak. It's supposed to set up the premise that something's not right, and tie into the end, correct? But for me it doesn't really do that. My mind just kind of... registered it as an odd thing to have at the beginning, and it felt disconnected from the rest of the story. Don't think you need it.

A lot of excellent moments in this story... the reader can really understand the person telling the story, and get a sense of who he is, what he is... and as a previous review said, he is indeed very human. There were a few quirky, sad-humour moments like the mention of "goddess tits"... the memories of Claire, the smoking...
I was going to go through and quote parts I loved, but it would basically just be quoting the whole thing. I love it. Very nice. Okay I'll stop kissing ass now. :D I don't know you, but I love you. *hug*

~PurpleShade~
~I have a signature, my little lemon-drops! And here it is.~

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln