z

Young Writers Society

Never Ever

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:51 pm
Sionarama says...

“Peter Pan was always fickle. You would never know what he would do next. That just added to the excitement, the attraction, I suppose. He had an air of mystery. He was a boy who never grew old but never seemed to stay the same. He seemed never-ending. I should’ve known that there is ALWAYS an ending, even for the boy who can never grow up.
I am Lily, a used-to-be inhabitant of Never Land. When I lived in Never Land, I had long brown hair down to my waist, bright brown eyes, and tan skin. Peter visited my tribe often. I see the confusion in your eyes. I am sorry. I haven’t always been known as Lily. When I lived in Never Land, I had another name. It was Tiger Lily and I lived in the tribe of the Indians.
Peter visited often. He was so cute! No one could resist his unusual red hair, deep green eyes, and dottering of frecles! I was no exception. It was so much fun when he played with us Indian children (I was then, just a small little girl). He told us stories about his wonderful adventures with pirates, faries, and mermaids. They could have been boring stories because I had seen pirates, faries, and mermaids on a daily basis. But the way Peter told them, well, it was like never seeing them the right way. This was when I first knew I was in love.
As I grew, I noticed more things about Peter. The way he looked at me with his dimple showing and the way he looked when he was concentrating. I didn’t know this at the time, but Peter had started noticing things about me too because by that time, I was already fourteen. When did we start showing our affections for each other? It’s hard to say, it went by so quickly. At the time though, it seemed an eternity.
Once he told me how he felt about me, I felt like I was walking on air. I was invicible. Nothing could stop me. I could live forever, just like Peter. When Peter said he had to leave Never Land for a few days to get someone, I thought I would always have him, and our days in the sun kissing would always continue.
I was wrong.
He stopped visiting me once She came. The white girl, Wendy. Ooh! The name still fills me with such a hatred! She was, I suppose, very lovely. She had curly blond hair, blue eyes, and the sweet pale skin that I would never have. I saw that he could never take his eyes off of her. Just that thought kept me up at night crying. And then I noticed the others. The mermaid girls and even some of my closest friends! How dare he? After all we did! After all that I gave up! After he rescued me from Hook and certain death, I thought I would give him a taste of what he had forgotten—he definitely would come back to me then! So once my father had made him Chief Peter, I danced for him and then gave him a big, long kiss, but not long enough so that he would want more. And more he wanted. That very night he came and I gave him all that I had. This was a very grave mistake. I was sixteen at the time.
Very soon, a baby started to grow inside of me. I grew fat and hungry. I couldn’t show my face around the island. My parents had found out. I knew I needed to leave Never Land. They arranged with Captain Hook to sail me away to the place where Peter had once lived, a place called London. The name and place was strange to me then, but I found it was my home—and the perfect place to raise my baby boy. After I moved and learned all about London and the rest of the world, I found a very nice job as a seamstress and married a wonderful man named Sir James Barrie who wrote down all about Peter and Never Land in a play. He is dead now, and my son moved to the New World decades ago. I have only told my story to one person, my husband. My own son does not even know his own lineage. So who would you be to ask, young man? I am very old and had almost forgotten my home.”
The boy in my parlor shifted uncomfortable under his cap. He looked about 5o years younger than me, around 30. He was wearing very old clothes, clothes that were in style around the time that I came to London.
He took off his hat and gave me the worst and best surprise of my life. He said, “I am so glad to have finally found you Tiger Lilly”, he took my old, leathered, shaking hands into his nice, strong ones, “Once I found out you left, I asked all over for you and nobody would tell me. I traveled to London around the time that you left, but no one had heard of you. An Indian Princess in London?! Of course, now I see you hadn’t been yourself at all. I went back, and it’s taken all this time to return. I am so very sorry for all that I did.” He gave me a giant hug. This might sound strange, but coming from him, it was very easily believed. The boy had shocking red hair. He was the one who haunted me for so long. The start of it all. The boy who never grew up.
His name was Peter Pan.
Last edited by Sionarama on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may not be educated well in the areas of etiquette and the like as a princess, but you do throw some bashing good parties!"
Not all princesses are pink sparkles.
Exhibit A

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:57 pm
View Likes
writingangel24xx says...

This was interesting. I thought it was very original but when you introduced the characters appearances I thought you should be more subtle and not just state them. But it was very well written and flowed smoothely.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:14 pm
View Likes
IdEaBoNe says...

Let me tell you, as starters, I LOVE 'love' tradegies! I'm a DIE-HARD Fan of them! I just Love the feeling of tearing, falling and burning inside (exaggeration :P ) Yours was one of the same! I just loved the hatered, pain and all the other emotions you were able to mix up in your writing. Great job! Your descriptions were simple and beautiful and had a smooth flow to it, giving all extra details the readers want. Not leaving them like 'What? How can this be?' I loved the way you incorporated your fantasy into something that says 'This might have been so'. It was not like those fake fantasy stories I often read. Keep up your unique writing style! Take care :)
This world is a dream,
Only the one who sleeps considers it real.
Then death comes like dawn,
And you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.
–Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm
View Likes
babymagic18 says...

One word. Adorable! I loved this I really did. I don't know all that many people that really like peter pan let alone a person that would make a story of it! You really did do I really great job. I'm glad I was able to come actoss this poece of writing. I want the ability to write the way you do.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:35 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

This is adorable. Not too much to say on it though, really. I think it might be more fanfiction that actual fiction, since the Peter Pan stories aren't your own... know what I mean? This is really cute though, an adorable reinvention and a story told from the other side!

One thing I'm curious about though, why is peter pan 30? I'd think he'd still be 13 or 14 if he kept living in neverland... *shrugs* Maybe I'm confused!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 am
Demeter says...

Hi Sionarama! Finally, eh?

“Peter Pan was always fickle. You would never know what he would do next. That just added to the excitement, the attraction, I suppose. He had an air of mystery. He was a boy who never grew old but never seemed to stay the same. He seemed never-ending. I should’ve known that there is ALWAYS an ending, even for the boy who can never grow up.

Is the quotation mark at the beginning intentional? I was expecting this to be something that someone says, but I've skimmed this, and I can't find the closing quote mark... Also, for emphasis, italics is usually better than capital letters, although I guess no one told JK Rowling that... ;)

It was Tiger Lily and I lived in the tribe of the Indians.

Indians isn't an actual tribe, you know... so either rephrase this or make up a name for the tribe, unless there already is one... Alright. With a bit of faith, trust, and pixie dust (and a smidgen of Google) I've found out that JM Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, called the Indian tribe "Piccaninny tribe". I'm not saying you need to use the name in the story, because it's your story, but yeah. "Indians" seemed a bit too vague for me, especially since it's Tiger Lily, who is part of the tribe, speaking.

Peter visited often. He was so cute! No one could resist his unusual red hair, deep green eyes, and dottering of frecles!

Should be "freckles". Exclamation marks aren't usually used in stories, unless they belong to the speech. You use two in a row, and that seems slightly excessive.

They could have been boring stories because I had seen pirates, faries, and mermaids on a daily basis.

"Faries" should be fairies, and "had seen" should be "saw".

I was invicible.

Invincible or invisible? I'm thinking the first one...

I am very old and had almost forgotten my home.”

Oh, there is the quote mark!

His name was Peter Pan.

I think this is a bit redundant. The ending would be more dramatic if you had just left it to "the boy who never grew up".

So, this was quite interesting. It's sort of nice when you take known stories and change the POV, just to see where you can go with that. I have to say though, being so familiar with the Disney film and all, I felt my childhood shatter a bit at the thought of Tiger Lily having a child with Peter Pan, haha, but I guess that can't be helped. I thought the presence of JM Barrie in this story quite random... even though it does bring more angles to this story, I can't help but wonder whether it was absolutely necessary.

However, this was an intriguing read and I thank you for that. Never ever (heh) stop writing!

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, there! I'm here to review!

Okay, I must start off by telling you that I truly enjoyed reading this. While I finished the ending it sort of gave me the whole titanic feel with the elderly lady finally meeting her Leonardo Dicaprio - except she doesn't die to meet him.

Anyway, your whole Peter Pan alternative is quite nicely told, I like how he actually finally came around to maturing in the end and meeting her.

Now, if we get into the technical things, yes your grammar was a little funky here and there but it's nothing too bad and most of the things have already been pointed out by the reviewers before me. The quotes in the beginning though kind of threw me off since the story was being told. You could keep them, in fact I like them kept but maybe make the whole "I'm talking to this person sitting next to me" kind of more clear or something. However...doing that might give it away that she met him later, too. Tricky.

Sorry this isn't the best review in the world but I'm kind of stuck on how to perceive this - not in a bad way. It's a great story and most definitely kept me interested in it.

Keep writing and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"