Young Writers Society

Cuts.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm
View Likes
joshuapaul says...

Whenever prose features I am inclined to read it, and for the most part I wonder why it is featured at all. This vignette, if I can call it that, is pretty damn cliché isn't it? Stock fall of worn lines and the same old fluff common to work of this nature. Rather predictable and trite, too. I do see why this featured though, it is well written and it is short, and that is usually enough. There is something at the heart of it, though it is rather watered down. Something almost mute, seems to resound, but I doubt I will lose sleep over it. It's a sweet little romp, then we move on.

But, like I said, the writing is decent. I must commend you on that at least.
Read my latest

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 pm
joshuapaul says...

Whenever prose features I am inclined to read it, and for the most part I wonder why it is featured at all. This vignette, if I can call it that, is pretty damn clich%uFFFD isn't it? Stock fall of worn lines and the same old fluff you common to work of this nature. Rather predictable and trite, too. I do see why this featured though, it is well written and it is short, and that is usually enough. There is something at the heart of it, though it is rather watered down. Something almost mute, seems to resound, but I doubt I will lose sleep over it. It's a sweet little romp, then we move on.

But, like I said, the writing is decent. I must commend you on that at least.
Read my latest

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:44 am
View Likes
MadameLuxestrange says...

I must say, I rather enjoyed this. Like, A LOT :D It was very short and to the point and it had such great imagery, despite its few words. I like that you didn't give them names. I don't know why I've always loved that, when authors don't name their characters. It's just kind of cool. Anyways, I also liked the simple things in it, like smoking the same cigarette and wearing his jacket. Very cool. I disagree with you in your spoiler; I think it's very creative and not too cliche. All in all, very lovely piece. I have no complaints. I haven't read anything in awhile on YWS and this was the first one I checked out in a long time. You made my night :)

Cheers,
Luxe :D
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm
View Likes
Alliaaryn5665 says...

Bonsoir,

While this is very righ and classic, it makes too little of sense at times. At times you should have been more clear. Personally{sp?}, I like the fact that you made it complex. Though, unfortunately, not everyone does. Not everyone can enjoy the complexity; they enjoy simplicity. However, on the note of your spoiler, the length of this piece has no significance. I think, just this once, the shortness of this is the most intriging part. This may be the one time where shortness is actually a beneficial factor, instead of the latter{sp?} effect. Oh, and your language! Just darling and endearing, I loved it. Now, on to something I most certainly wanted to point out and ask about.

[quote]Love is probably the soft burn around the scar he made on your right cheek.[/quote

How the heck is this love? Is the girl too obliviou like how she was with the jacket and the smell of his knuckles? Or is it something else. Because before I got to the mention of the smell of his knuckles, I was greatly troubled by how confused I got. Maybe I later connected the dots, maybe I didn't. Say I didn't, how am I supposed to understand? How am I supposed to get this description of their love? Say I did, though. That would be wonderful for you, me, everyone! Well, good job and keep doing what you do!

Farewell,
-A.
You think you are any different from me,or yourfriends?Or this tree?If you listenhard enough,you canhear every living thingbreathing together.You canfeel everything growing.We are all living togethereven if most folksdon't act like it.We all havethe same roots,and we are allbranches of the sametree.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13

Reviews: 3
Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:28 pm
View Likes
DeathlyHallow says...

Wow, like wow!!!!!
~~Just Because It's in your head, does not mean it doesn't exist~~

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm
View Likes
murtuza says...

This is such a great piece. I know everyone who's been reviewing this has said the same thing too :)
You've managed to make it dark and intense while also not straying away from the facts which define the relationship of this couple. A very well-written story, this. And being so short, it packs even a bigger punch. Nice work!
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

That had so much depth to it! It's like one of those prose that you could read it a million times and still take something original from it.
I have to say that it was very amazing the colors, the sizes , the italicized. It was truly remarkable,

Here's my favorite part:

"Don't you feel a bit hot? There's probably going to be very heavy rainfall in a few. Breathe in. It's a bit intoxicating, isn't it? Like petrol? Yes, like petrol. It seeps in with an assurance, like you're deserving of a reason to be in this world, to feel beyond the mayhem. It makes me smile. You make me smile. I love you."

Love is probably the soft burn around the scar he made on your right cheek. Or sitting in his front yard and watching the smoke rise from the cigarette you both have been smoking. It's the leap your heart makes, while pretending to read, at the thought of he's here.

The fact that he defines the pain that shoots through, somewhere between sweetness and hurt, every time your fingers come in contact with his; the heartbeat that alters the existing rhythm, similar but different, it spells out his name.

And you watch; you watch the flowers on your bedside table as the seasons go by.

You watched him too. You watched him burn that house down and you couldn't help but smile.

He said come here next to me. He said he'll lie beside you in your tomb.

You made cuts in yourself for the memories. And you carved his name on the misty window of the rehab. Because the last time it rained, he loved you.

You wore his jacket. His knuckles smelled of blood and ash, but ah, the jacket; it disorientated your senses.

But the flowers dry, they're stuck in your throat, they choke you. Or is it your heart, or is it his?

----

"It seems like it's going to rain soon, the wedding better end fast."

Or maybe this is love. Watching him insert the ring on her finger, making the vows, smiling now because he has her.

And maybe this is what love does; takes the breath right out of you, leaving you with nothing at all.

I was actually going to just post the first paragraph, but then I looked at the whole thing and said, you know what EVERYTHING is my favorite part! :D
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 am
View Likes
taliarose says...

This was great! I love the descriptive langauge and the way it is vauge but in a good way!
"Of course it is in your head, why should that mean it isn't real?" -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato