z

Young Writers Society

Journey Into the North Discussion Thread (Old 4T thread)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:19 am
Jiggity says...

Sounds good to me, I guess.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:40 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

I've got exams, no posts for me tonight (sunday). I will post monday i hope (not a hard exam tuesday); again no posting tuesday (chemistry wednesday).
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:10 am
Griffinkeeper says...

sabradan wrote:Well, I like it better than this one, but,
1. I don't think Valin would be one to run
2. I don't like the fact that the old ways are "gone" and that they need to "relearn" everything. Where does that put Valin, who is almost Iconic of the old days/old ways?
But overall its more believeable/better than this one.

Well, Valin didn't want to run, Sira forced him to leave (using magic to push him out.) Point is, he's not a coward.

As to your second point, I asked myself the same question.

What if Valin and Seraph are on a quest to find this artifact? Currently, they have no special attachment to this mission. Perhaps they've been wanting to explore the North for this artifact and this would give them the perfect cover.

True, this doesn't fit with the original story (that Valin and Seraph have been seperated for years) but it is a possible angle.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:15 am
Ego says...

Seraph could have come under request of the king. Perhaps his father and the king knew each other when they were younger.

Valin doesn't really need a motivator, you know? He'd probably do it just to be able t say he did.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:52 am
Ego says...

Here's the scenario I had for this battle;

A group (maybe 30 or so) of imps has sneaked up on the party. They attack, intent on killing as many as possible--the use mob tactics, so they try to overwhelm individuals with numbers They don't fight very well, so a skilled melee combatant could take one on with relative ease.

Those without formal melee training may find them a challenge.

I figure there are enough of the things, and they are powerful enough in groups, that the part will have to work in pairs or small groups to defeat the imps--

If you all agree with what I presented, then work your character's actions accordingly.
Got YWS? I do.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 am
sabradan says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:
sabradan wrote:Well, I like it better than this one, but,
1. I don't think Valin would be one to run
2. I don't like the fact that the old ways are "gone" and that they need to "relearn" everything. Where does that put Valin, who is almost Iconic of the old days/old ways?
But overall its more believeable/better than this one.

Well, Valin didn't want to run, Sira forced him to leave (using magic to push him out.) Point is, he's not a coward.

As to your second point, I asked myself the same question.

What if Valin and Seraph are on a quest to find this artifact? Currently, they have no special attachment to this mission. Perhaps they've been wanting to explore the North for this artifact and this would give them the perfect cover.

True, this doesn't fit with the original story (that Valin and Seraph have been seperated for years) but it is a possible angle.

Alright, here's an idea kinda based off that (cut me some slack though, I watched a LOTR marathon earlier, so its kinda like the substory with Aragorn in LOTR)
Everything happens as you described except for the fact about destroying magic/old ways and people needing to relearn stuff. Instead, just the opposite is happening. More and more "mages" are popping up, as well as the magical explosion having opened up teh pathway between the spirit and mortal realms. This portal must be resealed, as an army of spirits, mostly malicious, as well as maybe some other types of creatures are coming over to take over and rule the human realm. They could be somehow linked to the bad guys from the Four Treasures. And Valin, as the heir of the elves, will ahve to lead an army/fellowship/etc to retreive some kind of artifact taht will allow him to drive the spirits back in battle and reseal the portal as it was foretold in some ancient elven prophecy or summat. The others would basically have the same motivation as before:
Alden= adventure
Henry= loot, plunder
Cyrus=adventure
Seraph=to help return order and justice to the human realm
Fontroy's character=same as Seraphs' he is a paladin, after all
Tan'quin= to drive the malicious spirits back/to protect his beloved forests

How's that look?

As far as whats going on right now, Dono, that seems all right with me. Les go kill some Imps.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Poor Imps. *Sniggers*

By spirits, do you refer to demons and the like? If so, then I agree with that idea. It could be that these spirits are using the good magic to fuel bad magic, leaving less for the good guys to work with. So, even though magic is still around, the amount of good magic has decreased.

The artifact could restore the good magic back to it's dominant position, or make bad magic the dominant one.

I'm not sure that Valin would lead the group, just because of the politics involved. He would definitely be one of the more influential parties though.

Alden wouldn't be so influential as informative.

I say Ursa should lead. :P

798 Reviews

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:44 am
Jiggity says...

Ha! Yes, a giant bear who would rather then sleep and eat then doing anything would be a sound choice for a leader. Just like George Bush. Lol, I think Seraph should lead. He is perhaps, the most qualified for it.

I think it would grow dull if it were just imps and such like that attacked us. So I still hold that the bandit groups should pose a threat -- perhaps they could be in the employ of the priests? Promised riches and glory.

Oh and with the group of imps, I think it was more then thirty that attacked. The battle's becoming quite protracted and it would fit, I think if we, upon counting the dead afterward, discovered that the group numbered about 50 ...... although perhaps only 30 died.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:31 pm
Ego says...

Yeah...perhaps they should lose their moral after seeing hat they aren't doing any significant damage.

I agree about varying the enemies a bit. Just because there are a group of people after us does not man we wont encounter other opposition.

I'd like to see a post for or from Adrian before we finish the fight, just to have a well rounded battle going on.

Then someone can conclude the skirmish.

Er...Seraph probably wouldn't LIKE leading the party...but it's in his blood, lol.
Got YWS? I do.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:03 pm
Firestarter says...

I posted for Adrian and then for my own character, concluding the skirmish.

I hope it's okay.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:12 pm
Jiggity says...

Yeah that was wrapped up pretty nicely I'd say... except I sorta left an opening in my post, at the end, for the introduction of Alden and Ursa to the battle. Oh well, lol, they can arrive at the aftermath with plenty of corpses to feed Ursa.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:34 pm
sabradan says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:I say Ursa should lead. :P

HOORAY NEPOTISM! No. Just no. There is no way in hell Valin would take orders from a lazy, bumbling bear. The only person in this party Valin respects enough to follow as of this moment is Seraph. So I say either Valin or Seraph leads. Or joint leadership or something.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:44 pm
Ego says...

Yeah, Ursa will be lucky if Seraph even says a word to him, or listen a word he says.
Got YWS? I do.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:44 am
Griffinkeeper says...

T'was just a joke. :D

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:01 am
View Likes
Fand says...

Hullo, boys et Snoink! Mind if I jump in? I've caught up, and here's a pretty good place for me to jump in... besides, this storybook needs a good dose of estrogen. ;)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James