z

Young Writers Society

The Life of an Empty Cream Soda Can (suggested by Aniar)

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:10 pm
Harley says...

The Life of an Empty Cream Soda Can

I was one of the unlucky ones. I was placed right in the front row, next to the cola cans, squashed against my brethren in a sub-zero cooler. The first one to go? That was me. Some secondary school kids came in; three boys and two girls, and four of them grabbed a can of Coke. One of the girls, however, was unhappy to find that decaffeinated coke wasn’t on the racks, so picked me up, remarking at how much she loved cream soda. The fellow cans moved forward a place as I was removed from mine. My insides were worth 49 pence. She paid with a fifty pence piece and received a penny change, which she dropped in a plastic collection tin for Cancer Research. She carried me out of the shop and I noticed she had a yellow LIVESTRONG band round her wrist.
My ring-pull was ripped off me, and I was tipped at more or less a 90 degree angle as she drained me of my innards. They were almost gone in about six gulps (she must have been thirsty). I was then held all the way to her school, and upon entering, I was deposited in a recycle bin, atop many other can corpses. It was dark in there; only two holes slightly larger than a can to let light in.
Three hours I spent in there. Three hours that dragged on for an eternity. The bin lid was removed, light flooding in from outside. Unfortunately, I can not describe what happened to me next, but when I was able to comprehend what was happening to me, I was a part of a plane, and (you’ll never believe this) she was there! The girl who bought me was there! She must have been rich, because she was in a first class seat. I was unusually happy to see her…
I spent a few years on that aeroplane, and then the same thing happened. When I came to, I was a train. She was there, too! I became a part of a lot of things; a spaceship her father worked on, a set of compasses she bought and even a hubcap on a Ferrari she rode in. However, the Ferrari was sold and one day, it crashed (nobody was hurt but the car was wrecked); and I was recycled again, this time, back to another lousy, stinking cream soda can. And, guess who bought me? That’s right! She did.

This is in support of the Lance Armstrong cancer fund (those yellow LIVESTRONG bands everyone wears) and recycling. Save the planet, protect the animals, peace on earth all that jazz. :wink:

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:18 pm
Wulie says...

'tis cool never read something like that :)! I have my 'make history poverty band' 'best bullying' and 'livestrong' band :)!
wu x
'Sadistic lies we form like the web of a spider, the truth we hide like our flaws.'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 pm
Firestarter says...

Heh that was quite amusing.

However, I find Livestrong bands are nothing but fashion items and if you asked many of the wearers, they'd have little idea what it stood for; it's now more of an iconic pretentious object. But whatever.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:26 pm
Emma says...

SAVE THE PLANET. LET THE CANS LIVE AGAIN. LIVESTRONG.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

137 Reviews

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:29 pm
Wulie says...

I don't wear the bands because of fashion or whatever - I do strongly support each group which I mentioned however there's so many aids/groups it seems unfair to give your money to just one. I don't have alot of money at ALL but when I do I give it to charity bar the money I spend on presents.
'Sadistic lies we form like the web of a spider, the truth we hide like our flaws.'

Random avatar

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:31 pm
Harley says...

Jack, do you EVER go with the crowd?! lol :lol: At least the money went to cancer and other good causes. :wink: C'mon guys!! Buy em!!

137 Reviews

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:33 pm
Wulie says...

lol some times it is good to go with the crowd in this case - lol I suppose thats why they make them, man they'll make alot of money soon. Most people in my year have a band for something just caugh on recently!
wu

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I don't wear the bands because of fashion or whatever - I do strongly support each group which I mentioned however there's so many aids/groups it seems unfair to give your money to just one. I don't have alot of money at ALL but when I do I give it to charity bar the money I spend on presents.

Did I suggest you didn't? I never said EVERYBODY who bought one is pretentious, okay?

lol some times it is good to go with the crowd in this case - lol I suppose thats why they make them, man they'll make alot of money soon. Most people in my year have a band for something just caugh on recently!

It's nothing to do with me not going with the crowd, I just have my own opinions and observations. Why do people suddenly give money to cancer when they haven't before in SOME CASES (not yours neccesarily)? Maybe I'm cynical, but the only reaosn people are giving money is for the bands, and for the look it gives people. I know some people just like donating, but most people wouldn't have donated if they hadn't got something in return (the band). That in itself shows selfishness.

SORRY OFF TOPIC, but I had to reply. Now let's talk about the story from now on. If you would like to reply, PM me.

137 Reviews

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:44 pm
Wulie says...

I know , I know I wasn't picking an arguement just stating my point :)! I do uderstand your point but in the end all the cancer charity wants is the money and if making bands is the only way they'll get enough then I guess thats how it'll have to be, but I do see your point it is very selfish of people but lets hope poeple are donnating because they want to. I know alot of people are buying the bands because they feel strongly about the corse! However we just have enough money donated to alot of chairties.

Many people just don't care about our enviroment etc, its strange how the goverment pay farmers to stop them using their field for a year because we have too mmuch food being produced in our contry yet theres world fammine !!! There's so many things I could say! lol but I guess I should shut up now huh?
wu
(firestarter i really wasn't having a dig or anthing. )

Random avatar

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:45 pm
Harley says...

Topic change, anyone?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:10 pm
Nai says...

LOL!!

I love it!!

can corpses lol... it's great

Nice job Harley, I your the first to actually go through with one of the Writing Dares w00t
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Random avatar

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:05 pm
Harley says...

Thanks! It was real fun to write... lol Hope I did ya justice :D

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor