z

Young Writers Society

Mirror of Erised

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:29 am
paintingtherain97 says...

If I were to stumble upon the Mirror of Erised, I would honestly get freaked out. When I look into a mirror, I expect to see my mousy hair and too-pale face looking back at me, not my fragile heart's desire. So, as I said, I would be freaked out at first. And then I would take a step back and reminisce about the old days when I went through my Harry Potter phase and avidly read their magic words. I, by no means dull, would eventually determine that this is, indeed, the mirror of Erised. Then, making sure that there is nobody else to intrude upon the secrets of my soul, I would gaze intently at the scene in the ancient glass.

I'm one of those people that finds it hard to handle emotions. It isn't that I ignore them or anything, but I just feel them too deeply and get prone to deep depressions and extreme joy, usually ending in bad feelings. So what I see in the mirror doesn't sit well in my worn-down stomach. Actually, I feel a bit of indigestion.

There, in the mirror's glassy contents, I am standing, once more a carefree four-year-old. Instead of dark eyeliner around my big eyes, there is nothing. There are no dark bags under my eyes, just the bright hopes of a little girl who has yet to be truly hurt. I'm wearing a pair of overalls, an old favorite, with strapped Velcro sneakers and my hair worn in braids. Beside me is my brother, not yet fat and not yet angry and not yet different. We're next to a swingset with our dog at our feet, panting placidly and following a horsefly with his cute, dark eyes. Mom is nearby, without her usual cigarette, talking and laughing with Dad. Dad is fatter and happier and without as many tattoos. In the mirror, there is only a sweet suburban scene. In it is something I haven't seen for years, except in my overwhelming memories.

I would take a step back from the mirror and try to rush to my room. But everything would remind me of my wishes unfulfilled, from my soon-to-be-stepdad jabbering about the stock market on his iPhone to the legal papers with words like "divorce" and "infidelity". I would run to my room and try not to cry, maybe send a ranty email to a friend.

The truth is, I don't want to find the Mirror of Erised. Dumbledore once said that it could drive a man mad, and I'm sure it could do so for angsty teen girl, too. There is a reason this artifact is keepen hidden.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:27 am
Phoenix23 says...

A really thoughtful piece. Yeah most of us would want to see those happy carefree days come back, when life was innocent. I like it..... Keep going :)
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
- Shel Silverstein

104 Reviews

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:20 pm
ally1212 says...

Good job! I don't know what to say this is great and there's nothing I would change. You really showed us yourself and not just a tiny part of you which is always good to do when writing. Your mirrior sceane was really descriptive and it really enhanced your story. Just thought I should let you know I am also entering that contest and my story barely compares to yours. So the best of luck to both of us.... I'm going to need it!

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm
Charllotte4 says...

Wow! I like this! It's really good :)
I've just entered the contest also...

104 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm
paintingtherain97 says...

Thanks guys :)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:10 pm
Demoness says...

I like your idea of true hapiness! Being a happy, careless, innocent little child - but if that's what your inner heart most desires you at least have the luck of knowing how it feels to have what you want most in the world! :) I like this piece anyhows, it's cute and sweet and hopeful yet sad and a bit depressing - it was alot of things but the overall impression i got was a positive one and I'll give you 3/5 icky spiders for this :D

Good Luck & Keep Writing

// Demoness
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk