z

Young Writers Society

Entry for Story Title Contest

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:01 pm
CrimsonArrow says...

1. Book where D.C. is nuked, the military takes over the government, and a team of undercover black-ops seek and destroy the group that nuked D.C.

Name: Seek ‘N Destroy?

Main Character: Adam?

Most B.A. Character: Adam

Characters: team: Logan, Adam, Kayla, Seth, Aaron, ?

Length: at least 500 pages

Title: Washington D.C.: Nuclear Wasteland

2. Book where group of ex-CIA black-ops members go back in time and fight in battles of history.

Name: Warriors in Time?

Main Character: Seth? Adam?

Most B.A. Character: Main Character

Characters: team: Logan, Adam, Kayla, Aaron, Seth, ?

Length: first book: at least 500 pages, second book: at least 600 pages

Title: M-16s in the American Revolution
I just decided that they would go to that time period, but you could replace it with another war, like the Napoleonic Wars, or the Hundred Years War

3. William Wallace accidentally goes to the year 2400 and becomes the tactician for a Marine special forces team

Name: ?

Main Character: William Wallace/ Logan

Most B.A. Character: Logan

Characters: Logan, William, Seth, Adam, Alex (dies close to the end)

Length: first book: at least 450 pages, Second (plot is next one down): at least 500 pages

Title: Different Times
This was probably the most simplistic, but took me the most time

4. Same group of Marines brings Sun Tzu to the year 2403 to be the tactician for a difficult mission

Main Character: Sun Tzu/ Logan

Characters: Logan, Sun, Seth, Adam, Kayla (Alex’s replacement)

Title: Aging Tides

5. Scientist genetically produces dragons. The U.S. military hushes it up and gives him 1 billion dollars to keep quiet, and an additional 10 million dollars for each dragon. They create a team of 5 Riders to use them as weapons/transports/extra troops. They are hard to take down and are super intelligent.

Name: Riders of War

Main Character: Nobody, the narrator is Logan, but is told in a third person point of view where the narrator knows how all characters feel.

Most B.A. character: Logan

Characters: Logan, Adam, Seth, Kayla, Aaron, ?

Length: at least 600 pages, second book (plot below): 700 pages

Title: Cold Winds Blow South
I like Riders of War, but I imagined them riding on dragons and being freezing cold as they fly south.

6. Same team from first goes after the scientist who created the dragons because he is threatening to tell the world about his invention. They find that an old colleague of the scientist has created dragons for Russia and they are attacking the team.

Main Character: (same as first book)

Characters: same as first book, scientist plays bigger role

Length: at least 700 pages.

Title: Whispering Relatives of Our Nation
I just got the relatives part because they're all dragons, whispering sounded cool, and our nation is because they're fighting for America against Russia.

So, I'm sorry if I did something wrong, but this is my entry.
I'm oxygen potassium!
What's life without adventure?

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 am
IcyFlame says...

This is a bit different to what I usually review, but I'll give it a shot nevertheless!
I'll break my review down into six points, one for each title, just so it's easier to read.
1) Considering I don't really read books like this, I'll try to be objective about it. The title, whilst reflecting the novel is a bit bland and doesn't stand out to me. I'm one of those awful people who firstly judges a book by it's title, and then the first page. If I walked into a shop and saw this on the shelf I wouldn't be possessed to pick it up, nor would I be likely to remember the title. The storyline for this novel seems simple, yet the title could be so much more appealing. Try to make it stand out!

2)*See comment above*

3)Simplistic, but quite nice. It conveys the story in just two words whilst creating an air of mystery. I like it!

4)Considering this is the name for the second in a series it links quite well to the first, but still is interesting enough to be a book in itself. This is probably my favourite one!

5)This is my favourite book idea, and you've come up with a title that seems just as good as the idea! I love that you haven't felt the need to mention dragons in the title.

6) *see comment above*

All in all, a very different selection! Most good, some not so good but you've put a lot of thought into them. Good luck in the contest!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Oh! This is an interesting idea for a contenst, very creative! Let's see then, I shall review your title choices based on how well they flow, how well they fit the content and how much they make me want to read the book.

1. It's good as far as content goes but it would make me avoid this book with a vengeance. It's dull, it gives the plot away immediately and there's not much creativity going on. I think you need something with more mystery to it, something a little more vague and maybe throw in some of those words that always get interest to war novels: war, death, hero.

2. I think you're not getting the feel for these books. You're coming down too heavily on the war/ historical side when this is clearly going to be at least partially a sci fi. Don't shut out half your audience with a title that doesn't tell the reader the most fun part of the book! Bring the time travel into it somewhere.

3. This one I like. It's simple but clever. Vague so it makes you want to read the back for more details. Thumbs up here.

4. I like this one too. Not as much as the previous but it links well and still has that edge of mystery and intrigue so good work.

5. I don't like this one. It doesn't really suggest anything about the book and it's too bland to grab interest.

6. This one's better, much more interesting.

Well there you go! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson