z

Young Writers Society

Frozen

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:12 am
TinyDancer says...

Ever wish you could make time stand still? The scene before you captured; locked away in your memory forever, ready to be recalled at a moment's notice. How often we fail to remember what we promised ourselves we would, or worse still, what we wish we could.
That moment you so cherish loses small details over time- a snip here, a bit there- until you can't even remember the year in which it happened. It seems so important when you first commit it to memory. "I will never forget this," you say as you lock it away in the safety of your long-term memory. When you try to remember though, you realize you've placed your special moments in the hands of a false security.
Sure, you'll remember the important things- the way your grandfather's signature joke lit up the room no matter how many times you heard it; how it felt at 2:00 am laying deliriously on the floor with your best friend, talking about nothing and everything and life and death and all the important questions. The way it tasted, first time you kissed his lips.
However, the small details of those frozen frames have a tendency to melt away. Lost forever in the hapless depths of your own mind. What was the punchline of your grandfather's joke? What was it your friend had said that suddenly made you see things so clearly? His eyes- were they blue or green?
And thinking about it, its those little details you long so desperately to remember. You find yourself grasping out in the velvet darkness of your brain, listening to the cruel taunting of your "safe" long term memory as it teases you with "I can almost remember". But you can't help it. What can you do, except keep searching and in the meantime, replacing those disappearing memories with the new ones you are bound to make?
Last edited by TinyDancer on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:39 am
AngelKnight900 says...

Omg! I hate it when I want to remember something but then I can't remember. I like things like this. This is the thing that just points out our human nature and it kind of make me laugh a little because it's so true. You did a really nice job with this and I really, really, really, wish I could say more but I'm kind of speechless. I only have a lot to say if there's some work to do but you don't have anythings to look over and critique. You did a really nice job with this. But I'm a little hesitant with the title though. Could you explain but other than that, keep writing.
True confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know your are great, you have no need to hate.
-Nicki Minaj

103 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm
TinyDancer says...

Hey there! Thanks for the review. The title has to do with our wish to keep our memories frozen. It fails though, as they're constantly moving and changing. I just thought it was a nice contradiction to think about. Thanks again for the review!

It is simply there,

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 pm
IsItLove says...

I really enjoyed this. It was terribly true. Times when I want to relive that moment forever and now, I can't remember the simplest of details. Your writing is fantastic, and intresting. You made true and againg interesting points that spark thought.

Although I would add paragraphs to break up the piece because otherwise it is quick lengthy to read and it could put potential readers off of reading it.

I really enjoyed it and I hope to read more of your works soon. Keep writing. Xxx
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

103 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 pm
TinyDancer says...

ItIsLove-
Thanks for the review and pointers. I will add some breaks in a minute. When I wrote it, I wrote it as one thought but you are definitely right that it could put potentials off. Thanks so much!

It is simply there,

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights