z

Young Writers Society

Wishful Thinking

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:49 pm
View Likes
briggsy1996 says...

If you knew the immensity of my feelings, then perhaps there wouldn't be a need for me to write this for you. It's almost as though the tears that streak my face escape your notice, or the frown that I permanently wear simply does not indicate to you that I am heartbroken.
All my life, I asked one thing of you. One thing, dear father. That you may love me like I love you, and never leave me when I need you most.
Unfortunately for me, I noticed too late that you never took up your role as a dad. Indeed, you hid behind your work, and your religion. You pushed me to believe what you believed to be right, and had me follow rules that applied to everybody but you.
I think of you, sitting at the kitchen table, with your chin resting on your fist. You would stare out the window with your empty blue eyes, and I could only think that if there were some way to help you, I would.
But you see, when a little girl grows up without a father, something happens to her perception of life, and everything within it. I did not realize there was anything in you that needed help. I thought I was the one who was damaged, the one who was not quite right.
So as I leave this house, and see you standing in the doorway, with your hands buried in you pockets, I can't help but wish there was a rewind button. I want you to know that I'm not leaving because I don't love you- because I do- but because this emptiness is eating me up just as much as it is eating you. And I cannot take it any longer.
I am sorry, dad.
Last edited by briggsy1996 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
but the sky is love and i am for you
just so long and long enough
-E.E. Cummings

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:49 am
View Likes
Cailey says...

Wow, I have no review. this is really sad and sweet and well written. No mistakes that I caught. I just had to say something.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:23 pm
View Likes
Hecate says...

I'm sure there will be others that will be able to give you an extensive review of this (there's always one -.-) pointing out tons of things that could be improved, but I only really found one thing that bugged me about this.

All my life, I asked one thing of you. One thing, dear father. That you may love me like I love you, and never leave me when I need you most.Unfortunately for me, I noticed too late that you never took up your role as a father.

This is beyond nitpicky. But I noticed that there was a certain flow to your piece which was slightly off at that bit over there. Those two words 'father' I felt like they were slightly repetitive. If you could somehow substitute one of them or change the piece around a bit so that the flow isn't disrupted then this piece would be perfect in my eyes.

It was beautiful, in my opinion. The emotion you were trying to invoke came off very well. You are obviously a capable writer. Well done! Keep up the good work.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am
View Likes
titikemp says...

Before i say anything else, I just have to say that i think what you did must have been really hard and i'm proud of you without even knowing you. Ok, now to the review, i disagree with stelagineva with the father thing. I think repeating it like that gives a hint of frutration and anger underneath your sadness, which gave the letter a more honest feel. It was a beautifuly written letter, and i think it flowed really well. I hope you patch things over with your father, you seem to really love him.
“Miracles only happen to people who don’t give up!” –Ivan

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince