z

Young Writers Society

Antler Thin

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:36 pm
shanan-cat says...

The alluring moon stared me down through the breaks in the tall trees. You could smell the fresh rain that clung to the sprouting grass and the dandelions that littered the ground. The colour of the grass had shifted from a dead yellow to lively green, results of spring just around the corner. Everywhere I turned the crisp smells of the forest followed me and it felt so good. I turned to study my surroundings, loving the pockets of darkness and how the branches nearly touched the top of my head, giving a sense of security; a sense of home.
In the distance I could hear running water. I was nearing the creek. Carefully squeezing through a patch of trees I came into a clearing. Moonlight washed over me and I gave into the relaxing feelings and sounds of the water rushing over the smoothed rocks. The night was young and cool, the wind especially gushing through the bright opening. I walked over and dipped my hands in the stream, taking off my jacket to cool down, closing my eyes for a bit. It felt so good; I washed my face, too. I took my time, basking in the perfect moment. Just to get away from school, from friends, home. To be alone for a bit and just feel everything that I've been keeping in was a secret heaven I've been waiting to enter. Breathe it out into the night, letting the winds whisk it away for me. I sat back and wiped my face with my shirt. Running my fingers through the grass, I felt the soil they thrived in and dug the tips of my fingers. And I listened.
At first it was just the wind and the water, but then I heard something else. I opened me eyes and saw it. Her.
Across the creek, fifty paces away she climbed up a small hill and sat in the fresh grass. Was I really seeing this? She brought out some papers and began writing, head bent and focused. I quietly rose and dashed behind the nearest tree. Breathing rushed, I tried to think straight, but my body was buzzing with excitement. What if she saw me? She couldn't have, or else she wouldn't have come into view, right? This was so strange. I'd never seen anyone else in the forest at this time of night. I had to sneak another look.
Slowly twisting around the tree, exposing my right side, I took her in. She was petite, dressed in dark colours, hiking boots, a sling bag besides her. Her hair was long and done in a braid that scaled the length of her back. She was intriguing.
I waited and watched, silent and in admiration. I don't know how much time pass, maybe just minutes, maybe an hour. When she finally got up, I rushed back behind the tree, straining my ears to hear over the rushing of the stream for movement, footsteps, but the water was loud in the quiet forest. I waited some, counted to sixty twice until I decided to slowly turn back. But she was gone. A sound to my left caught my attention. I turned, not making a sound and held my breath. There she was, walking slowly, shoulder bag slung touching the green leaves. Even her walk was beautiful. And familiar.
She walked at an angle, passing twenty paces shy of my hiding spot. From where I crouched, I got a good look at her face. Her features were simple and soft, and also familiar. She had a button nose, pink lips, and her eyes shadowed by thick lashes. They looked like the lightest brown, but it was hard to tell in the dim lighting. She wore no make-up that I could see, but that didn't matter. She was radiating. In moments she had covered the space in front of me, and I was soon losing her.
I need to follow her, I thought to myself.
I quickly got up, knees cracking from holding the position for so long, hoping she didn't hear them. Once I found balance, I began to follow her. She was taking her time so it was easy to follow. Every so often she'd crouch down and examine a flower, putting some of them in her hair, braid falling over her shoulder. I know I've seen that braid before, I thought, and those eyes. But why couldn't I remember where? She got up from a patch of wild purple flowers, a few of which were now weaved through her braid. Something small and white fell out of her pocket, it looked like folded paper, but she didn't notice. I was about to say something, but realized it wouldn't be such a good idea. But what if it was important? She resumed her pace, unaware of the paper. I waited a bit, watching her walk away, then ran up to the paper and picked it off the forest floor. It was neatly folded on light yellow paper, thick and heavy in my hand. I wasn't sure if I should open it, but curiosity ate at me from the inside. I made sure there was no one around, then unfolded the paper and feasted on her words.

He was there today, in English. I tried not to look, but his smile is like darts to my heart. And his laugh is so nice. I hope he didn't notice my screw up… Maybe he doesn't even notice me, no one really does. It's probably for the better if he doesn't. All I can think about is him. It’s those eyes, and his smile.

The bottom part of the paper was ripped, but it didn't seem like the entry continued. This mysterious boy she talks about is odd. I needed to get this back to her, but I didn't know her name, and I especially didn't know where she lived. She might not even go to the same school. But then where else would I know her from? was a small town, population of 5000, and the school was even smaller. I have to find her and return it as soon as possible. I decided that I'd ask around tomorrow, but it was getting late and I could feel sleep creeping in.
Tucking the note in my smallest pocket on my jeans, I began the walk home, slipping into my jacket at the wind was picking up. The whole walk I thought of her, those eyes, and tried to remember where I'd seen her. The house was hushed when I walked in, and Belmonte was meowing for some food as soon as I go into the kitchen. I dropped some food into his bowl, and refreshed his water then headed up to the bathroom, then my bedroom. I threw my shirt aside and changed into clean boxers and pajamas pants, throwing my dirty clothes to one side.
I turned off the light and slide into bed, but just remembered that note again and retrieved it just in case I forgot when I did the laundry. I tucked it in my bedside table and closed my eyes. The night replayed itself over and over again in my head before I nodded off. The last thing I thought about was her name.
Delilah.

Just so that you know, this is a mere preview. Let me know if you're interested in reading more.

Reviews: 2
Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 am
panda21 says...

love it keeeeeeeep uppppppp the goooooood wooooooooooorkkkkkk

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud