Young Writers Society

A Siren's Ballpoint

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:23 pm
Kylan says...

“If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.”
- Lord Byron

Michel, who had painted his life all over the side of a wall from an aerosol spray can, sat naked, strapped to a dentist's chair, and surrounded by four walls as white as Hiroshima had been the instant the atomic bomb made every building in the city look like dead prostitutes – windows and doorways charred with burnt-toast lipstick and mascara. After it made every citizen looking like hotdogs burnt over an open fire.
The Frenchman refused to open his eyes.
He refused to look at the walls and at Samuel, circling, and at Peter who stood by the chair, trying to make his face look as empty as the eyes of a comatose paraplegic. He refused to watch as Samuel slipped on a pair of latex gloves which snapped periods at the end of his sentences as he whispered prayers and paced around the dentist chair.
Peter wondered what would happen to the man in the chair. It all really depended on how Samuel was feeling that day. And whatever it was Samuel was trying to cure the poor bastard of, whether it was exorcising little notes of music from his soul or aerating his heart of watercolors and pastels. Whatever it was that had made the Frenchman, somewhere along the way, break.
Today, Samuel's face was completely calm.
It was Chinese-doll-face smooth, like his latex gloves.
As smooth as the waters of the Sea of Galilee when the lord had stretched out his hands and whispered for peace.
That meant that Michel was going to be very thoroughly purified today. That meant that the walls would be bleached with so many screams that the room would reek of bits and pieces of the Frenchman's dignity for weeks. Peter was pretty sure that if he cupped his hand to those walls at that moment he would be able to hear the thousands of tortured confessions and wails and nail-on-chalkboard screams of so many men and women that had sat in that room before Michel replayed like the sea through a conch shell.
Peter, dressed in resplendent white, a witness of Michel's purification watched as Samuel stopped praying and walked behind his victim. With all the tenderness of a father, Samuel took the Frenchman's head and pressed it to the headrest of the dentist's chair.
“That's it,” he said. “That's it. The less you struggle the easier this will be.”
Humming, he strapped Michel's head to the chair with a leather buckle.
The Frenchman was trembling slightly, all of his muscles strung up like tight-wires above silent audiences. He could have been shivering. To Peter the temperature of the room was the breath of snow angels sighing and he was sure that Michel felt it as well. He was sure that he felt the hoarfrosted cold of breath caught in the lungs of dying men and women, strapped to the same dentist's chair, breathing on his neck. Maybe fifty years ago, people would sit in this chair and have molars removed and little metal picks plucking at their gums, but today people sat in this chair and had humanity removed instead.
“Why are you broken, Michel?” Samuel whispered. “And whatever happened to the 'when in Rome' philosophy? What compelled you to sacrifice yourself like that?”
His eyes closed, the Frenchman said, “I know the truth.”
“What truth?”
“That everything that the Hierarchy stands for is a lie.”
Samuel smiled. “Ah. And who gave you this little piece of wisdom?”
“God.”
“God did. So you're a Joan of Arc now, a John Paul. Why would He want to talk to you? What elevates you above everyone else?”
The Frenchman was silent.
Peter could hear his heart beating like aboriginal drums. Like deep south preachers slapping their hands on bibles at the pulpit. Samuel could hear it, too. He could taste the fear sloshing around in the room.
He hunched his shoulders and whispered into Michel's ear, “Your God is dead.”
“He lives.”
Samuel straightened up and placed his hand comfortingly on Michel's forehead. “I really hate to be the messenger, but your God had his obituary in the papers a couple decades ago. He died with the last protester, the last innovator, the last song, the last painting, the last essay. And then we took his corpse and shaped Him to our standards. Things change, Michel. Fads come in and out of style. You're wearing corduroy in a polyester world. God is our trademark, He belongs to us, and He lives in the soul of the Hierarchy.”
“Your words mean nothing.”
“You're struggling, Michel.”
A smile cracked across the Frenchman's face like a broken eggshell and a handful of words tumbled out like yolk-and-whites vomit:
“You can do nothing to change my mind.”
That was what Samuel wanted to hear. He nodded at Peter and rubbed his hands together, shaking his head, clicking his tongue. Peter, feeling lightheaded already, as if someone had stuffed his lungs with a jar-full of high-altitude oxygen, drew a small bladed hook from his pocket and a roll of adhesive tape.
The hook sneered with piety.
He handed the two items to Samuel and began cranking a lever on the chair, straightening it out so that it was nearly horizontal. The lever made lung cancer rasps.
Michel still had his eyes closed.
Samuel reached down and pried Michel's right eyelid open and taped it to his eyebrow, so that no matter how hard the Frenchman tried, he would not be able to close his eyes. He did the same thing to the left eyelid. As Michel struggled, Samuel recited a scripture like an old woman nursing rosary beads between fingers rubbed raw by soap and grease. He held the hook gently. He held it reverently.
He lowered it to Michel's groin whispering the twenty-third psalm.
Spitting the words from his mouth like whorehouse gasps.
Peter didn't dare look away.
Sitting in the dentist's chair, whispering quietly, Michel – with his eyes bulging from his face, unable to blink – looked like a horse with a splintered leg bone and a shotgun pressed lightly to the base of it's skull. Peter realized the man was praying. Praying to the dead god. The god that Samuel and the Hierarchy had buried between the pages of history like a pressed blossom. Whether he was praying for mercy or for salvation, Peter was pretty sure that the words stumbling from his lips wouldn't make it past the ceiling. It would remain trapped there – a housefly struggling in a wispy spiderweb – and join all of the other screams and prayers held fast in the walls like mice with kinked spines trapped in mousetraps.
The spiderweb was the lattice pane dividing priest from sinner in a confessional.
Samuel's hook was positioned above Michel's sex organ. His smile was thin.
He said, “My friend, you're wrong. The human mind is as weak a newborn infant. I can break it, I can mold it, I can destroy it. And remember,” Samuel said, “God smiles upon me.”
He began castrating the Frenchman.
The walls accepted the man's screams graciously.

His irises had been blue.
It was as if someone had taken a pair of scissors, cut little pieces of the sky out, and pasted them to the Frenchman's eyes like a child gluing magazine cut-outs onto a collage.
They were exquisitely vibrant.
They were two violins in an empty concert hall, sobbing together like mothers sitting on porch steps, watching as the coffins of their war-hero sons were unloaded from trucks, the pine still green and fresh.
They had bled only a few tears.
Sitting on his bed, Peter stared at his hands and tried to forget Michel, the Frenchman, who had died screaming prayers that would never make it to heaven. He tried to forget the smugness of the room, how Samuel snipped Michel's faith out of him like a surgeon removing cancerous polyps. He to think of better times, if there had been any.
He thought of wrapping his hands around Samuel's neck and squeezing.
Peter knew, no matter how many times Samuel had said it while wiping Michel's blood on his robes like fingerpaint, that the Frenchman had not wasted his life. He had not sacrificed it for nothing.
Peter would keep him alive.
Peter would spread his ideas, carry his prayers.
He had to.
On his lap was a notebook. The binding and pages were warped and wavy and looked like a length of corrugated tin roof. It was made of cheap leather that crackled when he opened it and the smell of tobacco clung to it as if someone had used it as a surface to build cigarettes on. It smelled like bus stops and military uniforms. It felt like the skin of old men and women crumpled up inside iron lungs.
In it, he had stored his soul.
Little snapshots and wisps of feelings or candlelit impressions were written down inside of it in cramped handwriting. There were poems and paragraphs and sentences long enough to loop around his neck a couple times and then attach to the the limb of a tree. He knew that owning the notebook – much less writing in it – was an abomination in the sight of God and the Hierarchy, but the words printed on it's pages had screamed to be written. They had cried to be pulled out of his bloodstream, his heart, his head like rotting teeth. The pen was a pair of tweezers, or an exorcist's cross, and a chemotherapy shot all in one. Words purged the dirt. It cleaned the blood – the sin – from the wool-polyester blend of his soul.
He knew he was suffering from a spiritual gingivitis.
And he could imagine what Samuel would do to him if the thought police found the notebook.
It would be him in the dentist's chair, instead of the Frenchman.
And Samuel wouldn't just remove one or two teeth, he would remove the whole mouthful. And then each of Peter's fingers, and then his eyes, and then he would slit his throat and –
Peter shuddered and shook his head.
Death in the dentist's chair or on the operating table was inevitable. So thinking about it, loitering around it, toying with the ways, the methods, the tools would take the thrill out of seeing Death sitting in the corner of the torture room, hugged by the white walls, with his legs crossed and his bleached bone grin stretched out like a Botox smile. It was a fact: Samuel would eventually be holding his intestines like spaghetti noodles or dissecting his brain like a mechanic taking apart the engine of a tired car looking for the problem. Looking for the reason the machine had failed.
Why are you broken, Peter?
Peter cracked open the notebook.
It breathed out cigarette smoke.
His fingers jerking at the slightest noise, Peter uncapped his pen, turned to a blank page, and stared at his wall. The wallpaper was limp and hung to the plaster like a large dress on the bony shoulders of an anorexic woman.
Peter wrote at the top of the page:
A prayer from the Frenchman
And then he wrote:
Today I saw what a human
looks like on the inside.
All those fingers and toes and
facial expressions are controlled by
the puppet strings of
dreams.

The clock on the wall dropped ticks like notes tied to bricks crashing through living room windows. Peter blinked and the Frenchman's face reappeared in his mind. Except his blue eyes were no longer pierced with pain and damnation and Samuel's words. Now, they were closed and slack and peaceful and his face was the picture of calm. In a way, Peter wished that he was with the Frenchman, wherever he was. He wished that he could have a conversation with him, listen to him, be with him.
But the Frenchman was long gone.
He had shovelfuls of earth in his mouth.
His eyes weren't calm and peaceful, they were prismatic with the scriptures that Samuel had whispered, the lies he had force-fed him until his stomach was bloated with them, and the indignation of the walls of the torture room. They reflected his last words which had been:
I have sinned.

-----

Do you think I should add to/change the end?
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:57 pm
Angel of Death says...

Bravo Kylan!!

You're really improving on your details and descriptions in each part you add to this series. I like this piece mainly because I was wondering what was happening with the first character that we met. Its sad that he had to watch Michel die like that but it was a nice touch displaying his feelings towards writing and how he was going to keep Michel's words alive. From beginning to the end I couldn't stop reading this. You have such a unique way of writing that really its hard to keep my eyes away for one second. Please tell me there will be more, I mean because there has to be. I want to see this Samuel guy rot in the very graves he buried the dreams of others. Also this hierarchy needs to be addressed formally, I don't know if its just me but I think that maybe if we read and saw more of the power of the hierarchy the reader would understand how expression of self became a sin. Its just a suggestion wherever you're going with this story will be great because everything you write breathes the gold of the sun but anyways, keep writing and no I don't think the ending needs anything, keep it the way it is.

Favorite lines:

Peter could hear his heart beating like aboriginal drums. Like deep south preachers slapping their hands on bibles at the pulpit. Samuel could hear it, too. He could taste the fear sloshing around in the room.

I have other favorite lines but I'm running out of time so all in all: Brilliant,
Angel :D :D :D
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:40 am
Clo says...

Hey Kylan!

Michel, who had painted his life all over the side of a wall from an aerosol spray can, sat naked, strapped to a dentist's chair, and surrounded by four walls as white as Hiroshima [s]had been the instant the atomic bomb made every building in the city look like dead prostitutes – windows and doorways charred with burnt-toast lipstick and mascara[/s].

This is a very long opening sentence. If you get rid of the part I striked out, it will still make sense and flow more nicely.

This piece contained so much improvement I feel like squealing like a little girl. You've definitely reined in the similes, but they're still gorgeous. The descriptions were... wow. I think this was the best of the three that I've read. Definitely the best.

As for the ending, I don't think you should change it. Perhaps add to it. Maybe hint to what Peter and Michel's relationship were. I found no issues reading it.

Is this the entry for my Freak Me Out contest? Because it certainly was unsettling, and you mentioned one part of this series.

I can't way for more.
How am I not myself?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 am
Conrad Rice says...

Ah, the final piece. I should tell you I've really enjoyed reading all of these. It is a very vibrant world you have painted here. If you return to it in the future I would very much like to know.

You addressed somewhat my complaints of the history of this world, specifically how the old world ended and the Hierarchy came to be. You did it without doing an info dump too, which I have to give you major props on. There was a tremendous chance to fall into that horrible pit, but you gave it a wide berth and are to be commended for that.

The first real problem I found was that I thought there were four people involved: Peter, Samuel, Michael, and the Frenchman. It took me a bit to realize that Michael was the Frenchman's name. You might consider finding a way to fix that, though I can't really think of any specific way to help you on that.

As far as the ending goes, it seems a little down in relation to the rest of the work as a whole, not just this part. You might consider making it more indifferent, rather than either uplifting or depressing.

One final question for me. How did you come up with the Siren part of each title? If you go by the literal mythological definition of a siren that doesn't fit, muse would instead. But if you have another reason I would really like to know. It's interesting.

You have a very good story here. Now all you need to do is go through and find where the stories do not fit together and fix those discrepancies. I don't know if there are any, but it would be a good idea to go back and check them all. Good job on a series finished, for now anyway.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 am
GryphonFledgling says...

This piece just killed me. It was utterly amazing and just rent my heart. The ending sentence devastated me, but at the same time, it confused me. You mention earlier that the Frenchman died with "futile" prayers on his lips and that Samuel considered his life a waste. I would think that that last sentence, that giving in, would damn him in Peter's eyes and save him in Samuel's. But it was amazing and utterly despairing, that he had given up in the last moments.

Michel, who had painted his life all over the side of a wall from an aerosol spray can, sat naked, strapped to a dentist's chair, and surrounded by four walls as white as Hiroshima had been the instant the atomic bomb made every building in the city look like dead prostitutes – windows and doorways charred with burnt-toast lipstick and mascara.

Whew doggy, but that's a heck of an opening sentence. Very long, I must say. It contained some great images, but with how it just went on and on made the images lose their effectiveness. In this case, metaphors are not your friend. We know how white these walls are (remember my comment on the cleverness of your bleached Pope robes?), so I think you can let it go. Maybe you can take the beginning statement, about painting "his life all over the side of a wall with an aerosol spray can" and turn it around by describing the blankness of the walls.

I loved the descriptions of the trapped cries and the walls holding them in.

This was marvelous. I really think this is the best of all of them, just because it is so emotional. I loved the twist that Peter is actually one of the "sinners" because he journals. I was already thinking he had some sort of aversion to what Samuel was doing - you managed to let the reader in to his thoughts of revulsion, but also his fear at rebelling publicly, very well. And all without info dumps. I love it.

I really can't tell you how amazing this piece was. Still a little heavy on the descriptions and while similes weren't as much of a problem, it was a little laden. But this was definitely, in my opinion, the best of the three all around. Utterly amazing work.

*thumbs up* Keep it up. You rock some major literary socks.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 am
Reason Invalid says...

Quite a powerful piece of writing, bravo.

As mentioned by some of the reviewers above, some of the description are indeed slightly too much. However, it's not really a major issue. Cutting out some extra adjectives and such would suffice.

The entire piece gave me an empty feeling, mind you, I mean it in a good way. The atmosphere of the piece conveyed a rather hollow feeling, but nonetheless the message was conveyed powerfully. You managed to develop a realm that the reader doesn't really know much about, but yet we could relate to. I guess this is my favourite part of the piece.

The diction of the piece was also quite interesting; I don't really know how to explain it, but it wasn't fancy, but nor was it too straightforward. I suppose the neutrality of the diction contributed well to the atmosphere.

As for things to improve on, I suppose other than taking out a few extra details, there aren't much else you could do to it. So great job!
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:33 pm
Sam says...

Kylan!

Oh, cringe. There was no gore spillt, but goodness. XD Do-it-yourself-castration is never easy to read with a settled stomach. I loved the ending of this, as well--the whole thing was just very unsettling and memorable.

(Actually, do you mind if I steal one of your God quotes for Abkhazia?)

Just a few quick notes this time:

-- Doesn't Michel know what's going to happen to him? Human beings are awful at keeping secrets--if someone is a tyrant, someone else is going to find out, through a guard telling his wife telling her friend telling the baker telling the customers telling Michel. If he doesn't know, have him detail the precautions in place against anyone else knowing his fate. It'll make the whole situation a lot creepier.

-- Do people die from castration--really? Loss of blood, perhaps, but I'd add in a gunshot or some other awful agonizing torture to really finish him off.

-- Establish that the Frenchman and Michel are one in the same by having Samuel call him by his name, then calling him The Frenchman in narration, etc. It'll make for smoother reading.

-- Just say 'penis', okay?

__

Oh my goooodness. I absolutely adore this. XD There has to be more! More, I say!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 am
mollycarraway says...

I know you said this was old stuff, and that you write so much better now. But WOW! I honestly cannot even begin to express how impressed I am with you. You've always been so good at giving a new spin on imagery. You spit out similes for things I wouldn't have been able to think up in my wildest dreams! That's seriously a gift. I would like to specifically point out the way you personify the walls. From the way you described them, they seem so innocent, and yet they hold so many guilty secrets. It's beautiful. Once again, I'm blown away. Don't try to knock your old stuff; there's some serious quality here.
"Music - that's been my education. There's not a day that goes by that I take it for granted."
-BJA

‎"I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it."
-The Help

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena