z

Young Writers Society

The Importance of Doing

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:01 am
abstractpoet says...

Well, this certainly isn't my best piece of work, but I'd like to make it better. Rip it apart, if you please!

“You are probably going to fail English.”

Jamille let the words fall off her tongue and watched to see if they would drop to the floor. They didn’t, instead opting to hover effervescently in the air, like a shimmering soap bubble. She pondered the significance of the floating words, and then tried again with a more serious tone. “If you don’t write this paper, you are going to fail English.”

This time the words lingered in the air, as if struggling to stay up, then gently floated to the ground like a large feather. She needed to be much more convincing.

“You will fail English, and then you will never become an author.” That sentence clumped together like a bowl of bad oatmeal, then plummeted to the floor with a resounding barrump! A small smile waltzed on the edges of Jamille’s flowery lips as she rejoyced in her small victory.

Did she believe herself? Yes. She knew that if she didn’t sit down a write this analytical paper on The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, she would fail her English class. Did she care?

Yesno.

“Well, it can’t be both!” Jamille’s voice was indignant, fed up with her inability to answer herself clearly. “You have to choose just one.” She paused. “I have to choose only one.”

What made the least amount of sense was the fact that she wanted to write this paper, that she was looking forward to it because it was interesting. “In your own words, describe how your book limited Human/Martian interaction in the early years of the Discovery.” She had chosen The War of the Worlds, she had read it and researched it and gotten her Martian friend Auri-la to talk to her about it. Jamille had everything, except for the drive and motivation to actually do something about it.

“What are you going to do?” She sighed out loud.

“Yes. What are you going to do?” Jamille jumped at the new voice, though it was a familiar one.

“Go away, Tabitha.” She scowled at the robot, daring the machine to just try to defy her. It did.

“I do not think so, Jamille. Mr. and Mrs. Parks asked me to make sure you wrote your paper.” Tabitha moved swiftly forward to perch on Jamille’s blackly-starred bedspread with smooth and polished movements. Jamille wished, not for the first time, that robots moved more like they did in the old movies: with clumsy and clunky movements that didn’t rob humans of what little grace they had.

“Buzz off, robot.”

“I’m not a robot,” Tabitha reminded her. “I am a gynoid, the word describing a robotic female who is specifically modeled to look like a human. An android is a robotic male who is specif…”

“Oh, I know, okay? Willikers! I’m not failing my Technology class, too.” Jamille slumped in her chair, clearly frustrated with herself and Tabitha.

Tabitha cocked her head to one side, the perfect picture of human confusion. “Why do you continue to procrastinate? It seems simple: just sit down and do it.”

“It doesn’t work that way!” Jamille gritted her teeth. This was one of those things that she just couldn’t deal with today. She needed an escape, even a small one…

Tabitha daintily lifted her legs out of the way as Jamille launched out of her chair, diving underneath her bed. She scrambled around in the constricting space for a moment, sweeping her arms around in the dust. “Aha!” Jamille’s fingertips brushed against a square shape. She pulled it out. Her prize was a wooden box with a dirty lock keeping the top firmly connected to the bottom. Jamille contemplated the lock, then pulled a bobby pin out of her hair and jimmied the lock open.

“I do not understand why you choose not to use the key,” Tabitha observed, leaning over the bed to watch.

“Quiet, you.” Jamille threw the lock aside and reverently lifted the top of the box off. A wonderful aroma drifted through the air, nearly making her eyes roll back in their sockets from delight. “Ahhhh…”

Tabitha gasped, as Jamille knew she would. “You are not allowed to have that.”

“You think I don’t know?” She snorted with contempt. “Now hush!” With utmost worship, Jamille reached into the box and lifted a round piece of smooth and rich Venusian chocolate to her mouth.

And, oh! It tasted like rain and rosebuds and sweet melancholy. She savored every last note of the symphony on her tongue, much preferring it to the soapy taste of her sad attempts to motivate herself before. The taste was beautiful, it was wonderful, and she felt so airy and light-headed almost immediately. Jamille closed the lid, groped around for the lock, and secured the box again. She kicked it under her bed and unfurled herself out on the floor, letting the chocolate relax her muscles.

Before Auri-la had introduced her to the wonder she was delighting in, Jamille had used the darkest chocolate she could find to de-stress herself. It had been the type of chocolate that even professional cooks had to lighten with cream when using it. But Jamille had dropped her 99% cacao chocolate fix now that she had the drug-like wonder native to Venus.

The chocolate triggered a series of chemical reactions that caused her human body to release a sudden wave of endorphins and other happy hormones. She sighed, reveling in weightlessness as her troubles slipped away. She smiled as she began to feel like maybe everything could finally be okay…

The second wave of chemicals washed over her: hormones that caused excitement and energy and clarity. Why hadn’t she done this before? Jamille leaped up and flipped her thin computer open. Her screen showed a blinking cursor, an eager helper ready to fill the white page with script. Her fingers hovered above the keys. All she had to do…

“That will not solve your problem.” Tabitha’s lips were pursed together in disapproval, her glassy eyes showing more emotion than Jamille thought machines should be able to. “You will have the same problem next time, and the next, and you will continue to turn to the chocolate for help, and then you will end up addicted.”

These were harsh words that hit the floor without hesitating for even a second. Jamille flinched, but she still hung onto the vibrant feeling the Venusian chocolate had left. She looked back at her blank screen, suddenly helpless. “What do I do, then?" She heard the worry in her voice and the sadness, and the confusion. And with a thud, the Chocolate-high dissapated and Jamille’s worries fell around her again. She repeated her question. "What do I do?”

“You can try.” Tabitha quickly rose off the bed, coming to stand behind Jamille. “Just sit and write. You already know the what, so now you just have to do.” Jamille just stared blankly at the screen of her computer, motionless. The gynoid sighed, then walked to the door. "If you don't write this paper, you will fail English," she reminded the girl, and then swept out of the room.

Jamille put her head on her desk, and cried.
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Abstract Poet! Here as requested!

resounding barrump

Put onomatopoeias in italics. It emphasizes them and makes it cleared where they are.

A small smile waltzed on the edges of Jamille’s flowery lips as she rejoyced in her small victory.

I adore your description here -- but how can lips be flowery? Also: rejoyced should be spelled, "rejoiced."

She had chosen The War of the Worlds, she had read it and researched it and gotten her Martian friend Auri-la to talk to her about it.

Whoa. Aliens? So this is where the sci-fi comes in. ^_^
Don't just breifly mention a martian to me and move on -- this would be a good chance to describe martian/human interactions in the future. You could talk about Auri-la some.

De-capitalize she.

She scowled at the robot, daring the machine to just try to defy her. It did.

So this is when Tabitha enters. Could you describe her some more? Maybe you have an idea of what she looks like, but we readers are new to this world. What does Tabitha's voice sound like? Emotionless? Metallic? Human? Use description.

“You think I don’t know?” She snorted with contempt.

Is her snorting a separate action from the dialogue? If it isn't, de-capitalize she.

Tabitha’s lips

But she doesn't have actual flesh lips, does she? Hmmm... perhaps "metallic lips"? Or "cold metal lips?"

end up addicted.”

So the chocolate causes a high and is addictive? Explain that when the chocolate is first introduced.

dissapated

Dissipated.

Overall

This story was very good. There were a few things that bothered me:

-It started out light and happy -- even a bit funny. The ending with Jamille crying felt very random/odd and depressing. The ending was just... weird.

-Use more description. It will bring this to the next level and make it go from very good to simply amazing.

Hope this helped,
~~~~Sakura~~~
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 pm
AlyssaKyle says...

I certainly do not inted to rip this apart, becuase the writng does not warrant that. I would like for you to let us see some more of the world your character lives in. Like the previous reviewer said, I want to know more about the martians and the robot. (I would like to take this time to congratulate you on presenting these typically over used subjects and presenting them in a unique way.) Your imagery was excellent. I especially like " the symphony on her tongue, " (sorry, I don;t know how to quote). I thought it was hilarious that chocolate has become a drug-nice social commentary. Fantastic job!
Who did the jedi mind trick on you women when it comes to capri pants? *waves hand* You want a piece of clothing that makes your ass look wider, your legs shorter, and your feet bigger.
-Christopher Titus

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 pm
lil-mizzkitty1 says...

hi

i love the chocolate becoming the addiction thing. to tell you the truth even in these times

chocolate is used to burn all burden. i also would like to know more about the time you have

vaguely touched on the setting of the story. i want to know more about Jamille .is her life bad?

i want to know the other factors which lead her to chocolate addiction. overall this is a great story

and i hope that you will carry it on.

bye

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:48 pm
mimimac says...

Hey!

Nice piece, I liked the beginning where she was trying to get herself to write the paper. Also loved how you compared different things to each other... When you were talking about that chocolate I started to get really hungry haha :P
One sentence bugged me a bit though:

She heard the worry in her voice and the sadness, and the confusion.

It would be way better if you were to say: she hear the worry and sadness in her already confused voice, or something like that instead of constantly saying; 'and the... and the... etc'

All in all good job :)
xxmimixx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 pm
Pringle says...

Hi there

First up I liked the opening sentence

you are probably going to fail english

This was a great way to start the story as it makes the reader wonder who is talking and why they are saying this. It is a good way of making them want to read on.

Can I just point out something in the second paragraph.
they didn't, instead opting to hover effervescently in the air, like a shimmering soap bubble

I liked your choice of the words effervescent and soap bubble but perhaps if you had said instead that the words chose to hover effervescently rather than opting to. This would probably read better.

Also the idea of robots is an interesting one. However the story is rather short. If you could expand it and go into more detail then it would be just right.

It shows signs of promise. Keep writing :-)

Reviews: 1
Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 pm
Blacklemon67 says...

Interesting premise you have here. The neo-surrealist narration style at the beginning left me confused yet drew me in at the same time. You do have some small issues with grammar, already pointed out by people who have posted before me so I won't get into that. BUT the really weird thing that occurs in the description of the drug like effects of this "Venusian" chocolate is you say: "It tasted like rain and rosebuds and sweet melancholy" Pardon me? "Sweet melancholy" is a bit of an oxymoron. Anyway, good ideas and good flow. Keep it up.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am
peanutgallery007 says...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:01 pm Post subject: The Importance of Doing
Well, this certainly isn't my best piece of work, but I'd like to make it better. Rip it apart, if you please!

Are you sure I may rip it apart? Hi, I am Peanut! I'm here to review your story! I normally lurk over in the Poetry sections, so, congrats! You are the first Fiction piece I have read in a long time!

“You are probably going to fail English.”

I would not start it like this. Leads should be the very first words and paragraph that draw you in. Give us a better image of what is happening (even though I'm pretty sure I know... :) ). I, personally, am not a big fan of dialogue beginnings, but I don't mind them all too much.

Jamille let the words fall off her tongue and watched to see if they would drop to the floor. They didn’t, instead opting to hover effervescently in the air, like a shimmering soap bubble.

Love...it...
P.S. Interesting name... how do you pronounce it? Ja-meal?

“If you don’t write this paper, you are going to fail English.”

Much better dialogue :D ! I would change this into your beginning and toss the other one!

Did she believe herself? Yes. She knew that if she didn’t sit down a write this analytical paper on The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, she would fail her English class. Did she care?

Yesno.

“Well, it can’t be both!” Jamille’s voice was indignant, fed up with her inability to answer herself clearly. “You have to choose just one.” She paused. “I have to choose only one.”

She's talking to herself? Nice twist. I like it 8)

“Yes. What are you going to do?” Jamille jumped at the new voice, though it was a familiar one.

“Go away, Tabitha.” She scowled at the robot, daring the machine to just try to defy her. It did.

“I do not think so, Jamille. Mr. and Mrs. Parks asked me to make sure you wrote your paper.”

Umm... confusing dialogue. Is it just me?

“I’m not a robot,” Tabitha reminded her. “I am a gynoid, the word describing a robotic female who is specifically modeled to look like a human. An android is a robotic male who is specif…”

Nice way to explain things. I really like how you are incorporating things into the story. Sorry if I am not critiquing the way I should... I feel I should point out the good things, though, too!

And, oh!

Toss it! I would. It isn't needed; plus, it slows the flow of the story.

But Jamille had dropped her 99% cacao chocolate fix now that she had the drug-like wonder native to Venus.

I wouldn't start a sentence with 'but'. :(

Tabitha’s lips were pursed together in disapproval, her glassy eyes showing more emotion than Jamille thought machines should be able to.

Try switching around the words; the order you put them in makes it hard to understand what this sentence is meant to say.

She heard the worry in her voice and the sadness, and the confusion.

Try making this sentence a little more like this;
She heard the worry, sadness, and confusion in her voice.
See? A much better message with a lot more sentence fluency. Well, to me at least. You don't have to.

"If you don't write this paper, you will fail English," she reminded the girl, and then swept out of the room.

Jamille put her head on her desk, and cried.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful story! I loved this story very much. Thank you for making my epic journey into the Science- Fiction realm a success! :D I really hope you decide to continue this piece; Tabitha is my favorite!
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality