z

Young Writers Society

Project Kratos *EDITED* 16+ for swearing/violence

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am
RoachRedford! says...

Project Kratos *EDITED*
First off, I'm sorry for the formatting, I have no idea why it will not let me keep my indentations, centered and bold text or whatever. Secondly, if anyone wants the full copy of what I've written so far (11pages 5,059 words) PM me and I will send it/attach it to this post. Thank you.
Okay, so here's what I've changed in my previous posting of this. This is what I've changed from the exert I posted before:

Spoiler! :
“I’m not quite sure you understand this fully Jack,” he said, pushing Thane inside the door and closing it behind him. “The tech that could evolve from this would change everything. It would change the way we eat, the way we entertain ourselves, hell, it would definitely change the way we fight.”
“That’s the part I’m most concerned about. If this research gets out into the hands of the military, it could be catastrophic!” said Thane, not backing down from Dr. Carter. Although Steven Carter was at least half a foot taller and double Thane’s breadth his pleading eyes gave some kind of reason to not feel fear.
“Please, I can’t take this to the Council without you, I’ve got no cred with them,” said Carter, moving deeper into the lab and turning on the lights.
“For good reason Steve, I’m not taking this data to the Council, or the US Military,” Thane said as he picked up his bag and began walking towards the door. The lock on it flicked to red. “Unlock the door Steven, don’t be so childish.”
“Jack, this is real now!” Carter yelled, “We’ve been working on this for ten whole years and now it blossoms and you’re going to walk away? You’d walk away from something that would put us in the history books forever?” asked Carter, sitting down at his desk.
“Yeah, I would, without a second thought. Steve, this could be devastating, look at what the Manhattan Project did to the world all those years ago,” Jack said, his hand had dipped into the shoulder bag hanging clumsily on his right arm, gripping the pistol inside tightly. In the mirror behind Carter, Thane could see him tossing a revolver in his hands under the desk.
“You think blackmatter would do that to the world now? We’ve got global peace Jack! You see it every day with all the GCC soldiers on the street.”
“Bullshit,” said Thane, drawing the gun and letting him know he was serious, “The Global Confederate Council is nothing but a mass propaganda factory.”
Now Carter had his weapon in plain view too, “Goddamn soldiers. You’ll always be a Marine first and a scientist second won’t you Jack!” Carter’s face had gone red and spittle began to fly from his mouth as he screamed. “You’re such a stubborn asshole Jack, and you’ll be remembered for it. Imagine that, poor Professor Jack Thane dies in a blackmatter energy detonation in the Global Confederate Council’s labs on Orion Five. Now that would be quite the uproar for the GCC to handle; their leading scientist, killed by his own experiment on the largest orbit colony of Earth.”
Thane lowered the gun, “Think about that Steven, you have no idea what blackmatter energy does outside mass transport. A blackmatter fuelled detonation could destroy Earth for all we know!”
“You just don’t get it!” Carter yelled, waving his gun threateningly, “I don’t give a shit! If I can’t take this tech to the Council with you, I’ll take the data I need, totally discredit your name with a horrific accident and then in five years time,” he waved his hands as if to imitate his name in lights, “Dr. Steven Carter discovers the secrets of blackmatter energy manipulation.” A sinister grin squeezed across his face.
“I’m sorry Carter, I promised I’d never kill again,” Thane said, and pulled the trigger.
Click.
“That might have stopped me,” said Carter with a laugh, “Shame it’s not loaded.” He tossed the magazine from Thane’s pistol across the lab. The door behind unlocked from the outside from someone using their key card and Carter stashed the gun.
An Asian scientist whose name Thane couldn’t remember came inside and he dashed out, walking briskly down the hall to the elevator, Carter’s laptop clunking into his own in the bag.
As the elevator descended Thane’s heart rate began to do the same. His temples stopped throbbing and his breathing came back to normal, all very slowly.
For ten years, Carter and Thane had been working on a new kind of energy sourced from a dying star twenty years before. This energy, known as blackmatter energy, had no mass, no set width and did not reflect light. The only way to view pure blackmatter energy was by pumping electricity through it.
They had discovered that blackmatter energy could transfer its properties to other objects when stimulated correct by nuclear fission. Once an object had no mass, it could travel faster than light itself and this had been a tremendous breakthrough.
Neither they nor the Council had the guts to attempt any FTL travel with humans involved so the project ended there, officially. Unofficially, the two scientists had been recommissioned to investigate the potential military applications for blackmatter energy and out discoveries were phenomenal.
Blackmatter was able to not only eliminate the mass of an object, but increase it, and due to this the GCC developed the first ‘shielded’ armor suit. This suit, which bore more resemblance to a NASCAR racer’s getup than medieval armor, was powered by blackmatter energy, and also created a bubble of air with increased mass around itself. Although prolonged exposure to gunfire, electricity and natural fire wore down this barrier, it was put into global military practice a year after its conception.
Just after this, Thane found that using a small amount of blackmatter, projectiles could be fired from a conventional firearm. Not only did this provide caseless ammunition it allowed the bullets to be fired at speeds never even comprehended before. In some cases, the bullet hit the target before the shooter felt the recoil. Needless to say, this came to be used by the GCC even quicker than the armor augment.
Then, one month before now, Carter used these findings in combination with his own research on wormholes to find a way to funnel blackmatter energy down a pre-defined route. This created the first large scale weapons grade laser.
That project was called, ‘Kratos’ and Thane had sealed it under an administrative code that no other could open. He saw Kratos as too dangerous to be released to the GCC, especially since they had discovered that Kratos could burn through any material known to man. In theory, if a large enough versions of Kratos was created and used, it could create a blackmatter energy field, found in the dead centre of wormholes. The field would subsequently create a wormhole down which the laser would travel.
If Kratos was directed down a funnel with the infinite size of a wormhole, it would expand perpetually. This meant that if it came out the other side, the universe would simply cease to exist.
Thane now jogged towards his car. It unlocked automatically thanks to a microchip inserted in his left forearm. Everyone on Orion Five had one. They did everything, from holding passwords to unlocking doors and even making telephone calls for you.
He got in, panting heavily. Thane decided he had to stop Steven but couldn’t do anything that night; it was too late, almost midnight. He decided to go home, sleep and visit the Council in the morning with the request of a partner change.
Then he would even destroy all evidence of Kratos on each of the scientists’ computers, leaving no trace of the awesomely powerful project. With shaky hands Jack Thane slipped the key into the ignition and turned it. The car thrummed to life and just as it pulled from the curb Steven emerged at the base of the building.
Hatred burned in his eyes.

For those who care. And here is the next addition. And don't worry, I'll be making up for the successive posts with a review tonight and hopefully another during the week.

The streets of Orion Five were eerily empty that night. Thane stopped at a set of traffic lights and peered out the window. Built thirty years ago, Orion One began the trend of human colonies in orbit of Earth. In the twenty years that followed, Orion 2 through to Seven was built to house the growing population.
Orion Five was the largest, with around 11 million people inhabiting it. Each of the Orion colonies was a huge disc, with an open centre, so they looked like a giant ‘O’. Each had their core in the centre, a nuclear powered station which served to not only power the colony but keep it in orbit.
The seven colonies orbited Earth just outside the circumference of the moon’s orbit, meaning that occasionally they would be eclipsed from Earth’s view and lose contact momentarily. These moments, known as blot outs, could be quite scary.
Traffic began to move again and Thane continued home. Billboards sat proudly over the highway as he neared his apartment, all claiming that with the new colony to be established on Mars, people should secure their positions as soon as possible.
He pulled up outside his apartment and got out of the car, pushing one finger to his forearm. A holographic display formed on top of his skin, projected by the chip underneath. It showed notes he had left there, missed calls and a calendar.
A reminded sprung forward in the heap of information gathered on Thane’s forearm, it read;
BLOT OUT – 28/3/2135; EXPECTED TIME: 58 MINUTES
“Damn,” said Thane as he went inside, “I wanted to watch football.” He walked through the lobby and into the elevator, stepping in, pressing a button and getting out all within five seconds. The one thing he loved about technology was the way it managed to speed everything up.
Thane went into his apartment and threw his bag onto the couch.
“Lights on,” he said casually as he entered and the lights faded onto to medium brightness, “Sally, get me drink.”
“Yes sir,” said the apartment’s artificial intelligence as a drink rose up out of the kitchen bench.
“Thanks.” Thane took the bourbon to his room and undress, putting on track pants and a singlet. He examined himself in the mirror at the end of his bed. Jack Thane was fit, his figure filled out his singlet. Dark brown hair swept across his forehead, framing hazel eyes that changed color in the light. A scar ran through his right eyebrow, cutting it in half.
Thane moved to his bed, throwing back the sheets and climbing in. He finished the bourbon and looked out the windows next to him at the skyline of Orion Five and saw Earth in the distance.
“Sally, close the windows,” he said as he lay down. The switchable glass in the windows became opaque and Thane was asleep in minutes.
But not everyone went straight to sleep that night.
On the occasions that another colony or the moon caused a blot out, double the amount of GCC soldiers were deployed into the streets of the affected colony. Crime peaked during this period. No one could call for help while the communication arrays from Earth were blocked and many people were in bed anyway with no television to watch.
This proved annoying for one man in particular. He stood in an alley two streets west of Thane’s apartment block, a hood concealing his face. He watched as three GCC soldiers strode past, their assault rifles held lazily in their hands.
The stranger walked out behind them, purposefully and with great strength in his stride. One soldier heard him coming and turned to see as something in the stranger’s hand caught the moonlight and flashed.
The blade came up quick, slashing the first soldier’s throat and leaving him dead but still standing. Another soldier came towards the assailant and he lashed out a kick, connecting with the man’s armor suit at the knee and breaking his leg backwards.
The third one made for his radio but the man through his knife, burying it into the soldier’s black visor. Blood oozed out of the bottom of the helmet as the soldier crashed to the ground and his killer walked away.
Soon after, and having to dodge another GCC party on the way, the murderer reached Thane’s apartment block and ducked inside, taking the stairs down to the basement. He found a power box and brought up a holographic display on his forearm. With a little tapping and persuasion, the man turned the AI in apartment 13 from ‘ON’ to ‘OFF’.
Thane rolled over in his sleep as Sally deactivated midway through cleaning the kitchen. Outside, the elevator hissed open and the man stepped out, opening the door to apartment 13 quietly and slipping inside.
Thane woke.
That noise. Shit.
As he realized someone was inside he turned to roll over and go for his pistol but a hand slammed his face back into the pillow. Another arm gripped his own hand and wrenched it behind his back, shooting pain into his shoulder.
“You bastard,” spat the assailant, “You honestly thought you could walk away from me and get away with it?”
“Sally, activate safety protocol…”
“Sally’s sleeping Jack. No one can hear you.” The voice was menacing, but familiar.
“Get the hell off me Steven,” said Thane, struggling as Carter drove knee into the small of his back and pulled his other hand up behind his back. He slapped some wrist binds on Thane and got down low, whispered in his ear.
“You’re gonna die Jack,” he said, his breath burning Thane’s eyes, “Everyone on this station’s gonna die and you’ll get the blame. How does it feel?” Thane couldn’t say anything, shock had hit him.
“You always were chicken shit,” said Carter, yanking Thane out of bed on over his shoulder in a fireman carry and heading for the door. In moments they were outside Thane’s apartment as Carter’s car drove to meet them, controlled automatically.
Carter threw Thane in the back of the car and winked as he slammed the door down. Thane’s breath began to get tight; his pulse began to climb and most of all he began to get scared.
I’m going to die.

Christians see purgatory as a place where God is not, where those who do not deserve to be in heaven serve the time accumulated from there sins on Earth. Jack Thane found this to be not true. He found that purgatory begins the moment you know you are about die, and lasts until your final breath.
As Carter dropped Thane into the cryo-bed he laughed.
“This will look good. I’m setting the detonation for half an hour’s time you see, right in the middle of the blot out. That way, no one will respond to all the alarms that will go of in warning of the explosion.
“But here’s the good bit,” he said as he secured Thane in with straps usually used for cryogenically freezing mental patients, “I’m going to lock you in here now, but have you begin to freeze just after the detonation begins.”
“You asshole,” said Thane, testing his bindings. They wouldn’t budge.
“Precisely. It will look like in the face of certain death; you took the easy way out. Rather than being conscious when you died, you froze yourself to avoid pain. You’ll look like a coward, what you are.”
He moved away from the cryo-bed, punching in some commands on his arm.
“Oh, how silly of me. See, I forgot that you’ve locked the archives to our work haven’t you?” he brandished a laser cutter, used to slice diamonds, “And from what I know about GCC’s systems, I need your arm to access it.”
“Shit,” said Thane, “No way, don’t do this!” he screamed now, fear pulsed in his head and he began to hyperventilate. The cutter powered up, looking like a glowing knife and Carter moved it to Thane’s arm, just above the elbow. He could feel the heat radiated off of it.
“Sorry Jack, I enjoyed working with you.” He pushed the cutter into Thane’s arm and pain exploded within his body. Unable to moved, Thane thrashed and screamed as the cutter came out the other side and his arm fell to the floor. The arm had been cauterized by the cutter and didn’t bleed.
As Carter picked up Thane’s arm, warnings flashed on the forearm, obviously noticing that it had been separated from the body. Thane gritted his teeth and fought the urge to pass out as Carter hit a command on the arm that belonged to someone else and the cryo-bed began to close.
“Bye,” said Jack, turning and leaving as the bed fully enclosed Thane. The cold hit immediately, and Thane’s body began to shiver. In minutes his arm was numb and he could barely think. Then, liquid began to seep into the bottom of the chamber.
The liquid was a perfluorocarbon, an oxygen rich liquid that allowed for humans to breathe while totally submerged. As the cold liquid began to approach Thane’s face everything became slow. He could hear nothing; feel nothing, his body and mind were numb. The liquid hit his chin and Thane knew he would never wake.
“Damn,” he said, and inhaled. Pain surged into his lungs and everything went black. Jack Thane was as good as dead.
Steven Carter on the other hand ran from the GCC labs, getting into his car and gunning it down the highway towards Orion Five’s spaceport. He had to get out well before the explosion, only God knew what would happen then.
Half an hour later, just as a small shuttle rocketed towards Earth, an amazing thing happened on the dark side of Orion Five, facing away from the planet. An explosion tore out of the side of the disc, beautiful greens and purples swirled amongst a sea of raging blacks and reds and debris and fire roared through space.
Then, in the place of color, came nothing. A total absence of light and matter formed next to the space station; a wormhole. Slowly, but with the roar of tearing metal and the scream of Orion Five’s core trying to hold its position, the space colony was dragged inside the gargantuan rift in space.
As the edge of the outer disc crested the event horizon, the station was totally absorbed into the void and then light flooded back into the spot where Orion Five had been. The empty space rippled a moment and then nothing.
Not a sound, not even a piece of glass or metal, nothing. Orion Five was gone, and so was Jack Thane.
For now.
It's not the fall that kills you.

GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 pm
Evi says...

Hey RR! I'm a bit confused-- is this supposed to replace the other chapter I read, the one in a spoiler, or is this a continuation?

In the twenty years that followed, Orion 2 through to Seven was built to house the growing population.

Always remember to spell-out numbers that can be written with one or two words, if it's just part of the narrative. You do that most of the time, with the "twenty" and "Seven" here, but you forgot about the 2, and the 11 in the next paragraph. Later on, with the holograph on his arm, it's fine to keep the digits because that's a bit of technology.

and lose contact momentarily. These moments, known as blot outs, could be quite scary.

Fifty-eight minutes is more than just "momentarily" or "a moment". From this description, I thought it was just a matter of seconds, but that's much more serious. Consider rephrasing.

Thane took the bourbon to his room and undressed, putting on track pants and a singlet. He examined himself in the mirror at the end of his bed. Jack Thane was fit, [period or semi-colon here] his figure filled out his singlet.

Once Thane gets home, everything seems to move very quickly. Not that you should drag out his nightly routine or explain it in detail, but I can't get a feel for his apartment exactly and it seems as if rushing through everything in a blur. Before we look up, he's asleep. I thought I missed a paragraph somewhere.

“You asshole,” said Thane, testing his bindings. They wouldn’t budge.

Very nonchalant of him, it seems. It make sense that he's testing his bindings, but it doesn't make sense that he's not panicking. He starts reacting later, with the threat of his arm being cut off, but even that seems a bit underplayed. This Carter guy is psycho, and Thane is witnessing this first hand, but he's not thinking about it or trying harder to get out. And, after his arm is sliced off, he just grits his teeth to ward off the pain? This is an extreme injury-- he's either going to be out cold from the agony or screaming his head off.

:arrow: Firstly, proofread this. There are numerous spelling and grammar errors that I didn't have time to point out. If you just read over this once or twice more, you should be able to find them. One is where you say "through" instead of "throw". Secondly, try to avoid mixing their first and last names so much. Stick with one-- it's making it harder to keep a hold on already-distant character. Pick a name.

Finally, I'm not sure whether this is a chapter two, or if it's a replacement chapter one?

If it's supposed to be the next installment, it's too disconnected from the first. Thane just got back from an intense scene with Carter, and yet he's not thinking about it, pondering it, at all. Even when Carter is cutting off his arm and killing him, he doesn't think back to the the conversation they just had. He has to know that the two events are connected-- why isn't he bartering with Carter, saying that he'll do whatever he wants with the weapon, just PLEASE don't kill him. Thane is pretty disconnected on his own, as well-- even though this is third person, you still have to forge that bond between the narrative and the character. I don't feel what Thane is going through, or what Carter is thinking. It's like watching the scene from behind a sheet of glass.

If this is a replacement first chapter, I didn't like it as much as the first. The conflict in the other one was more realistic, and it explains more without being as rushed and info-dumpy as this. I'd suggest you use the other one as your first chapter, and this as your second, but clean up the connections to make them flow more smoothly into each other. Have Thane think about their conversation. Maybe he's torn on what to do. Did he think Carter was capable of being such a murderous jerk? If so, he's going to be worried for his life. If not, he needs to be more shocked and surprised when Carter kills him, or tries to. Basically, connect your characters' thoughts and emotions into this more.

I like how you've started, though. Good job, best of luck with edits, and PM me for anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:36 pm
Nate says...

Aye, I was confused too. Is this a replacement chapter, or a continuation from the previous?

In any case, on the formatting not staying, it's because the post box on YWS can't recognize regular word processing formats. That's a problem for most web sites, and something that won't really be fixed for some time.

With regards to the story, it seems tighter than the previous portion you posted. There's not as much fluff in this piece, and it seems better written. That said, there are definitely errors. Evi caught a lot of them, and I'll see if I can catch the others.

Firstly, I like this:
He pulled up outside his apartment and got out of the car, pushing one finger to his forearm. A holographic display formed on top of his skin, projected by the chip underneath. It showed notes he had left there, missed calls and a calendar.

You've taken a possible future technology and related it to our everyday experiences.

But, I didn't like this:
The seven colonies orbited Earth just outside the circumference of the moon’s orbit, meaning that occasionally they would be eclipsed from Earth’s view and lose contact momentarily. These moments, known as blot outs, could be quite scary.

First, this is a neat idea and one that I don't really recall coming across before; I like how you've taken, in this case, and example of a future technology and described the unexpected problems it may cause.

However, it's also not completely believable. With just seven colonies, space-traffic controllers could easily ensure uninterrupted communications between the moon and Earth. However, I could see junk and debris caused by these colonies interrupting communications from time to time. And that kind of problem would even be worse for even though interruptions of that kind would only last for a few seconds, they'd be unpredictable.

The ending is very good, although you do need to proofread it. One thing though: I very much doubt Thane would just say "Damn" near his final moments. I'd expect him to use much stronger language!

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)