z

Young Writers Society

The Valley of Dying Stars (excerpt)

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 am
SporkPunk says...

I was inspired on a walk tonight, and came up with this. I'm thinking of expanding on it. I don't guarantee prefect grammar since I wrote this in about ten minutes, but I do want some feedback. Thanks!

Robert Frost was wrong.

The world didn’t end in fire. It didn’t end in ice, either. T.S. Eliot was closer, but still, he was wrong.

No one expected what happened.

Nostradamus, Edward Cayce, the Mayans. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I gazed out at the setting sun from between the grey wood slats of the old cattle railcar. The sun itself was a bright orange color, like that from-concentrate orange juice Mother used to pour in plastic tumblers for breakfast. The sky seemed to cry out in agony, vermilion clouds snaking across like trails of blood gushing from a wound. I couldn’t look for long, though. The car tracks kicked up quite a lot of dust, and I didn’t want it in my eyes. I turned back to the inside of the railcar.

It was dark, the only light coming from the gaps between the slats. Three other people huddled in the car with me. Two of whom I’d never seen in my life, the third was my little sister. The strangers stared ahead of themselves, their eyes lifeless. In the back of my mind, I wondered exactly what they had seen in order for them to be in such a state.

My sister huddled against me, her thumb in her mouth. I thought she’d broken that habit; in fact, I hadn’t seen her suck her thumb in years. I circled my arm around her. Every once in a while, I’d feel her shudder with a silenced sob. I wanted to cry, too. Just let the salty tears well up, obscure my vision, and slide down my dirt-encrusted cheeks and onto my filthy jeans.

We were being evacuated, they said. We’d be okay, they assured us. Nothing to worry about. They were wrong, too. It was not okay. It wasn’t okay, and it would never be okay again. Not without my family.

“Get on the train!” he’d shouted at me. He’d shouted at me and my little sister Sophie. I’d looked from him back to the crowd of people. Some had run, others had staggered. A few had lain in crumpled heaps, unmoving.

“My parents!” I’d cried, gripping my sisters wrist tightly. She was tearing from the pain, but was shocked into silence. “We have to find them!”

“Never mind them now, we must go! If you don’t get on the train this very instant, you’ll be left behind.”

I’d glanced back at the crowd. No Mother. No Father. I’d looked down at my sister, she at me. She had nodded slightly. We’d boarded the train. We hadn’t seen them since.

The jerking of the car interrupted my thoughts, and I found my cheeks wet with tears. Sophie was still beside me. The three across from us were still there. One was moving his head around, stretching. He appeared as if he’d only just become aware of his surroundings. His face was obscured; night in the desert had fallen quickly.

The railcar stopped. The boy looked at me, frightened. People were shouting from a couple cars in front of us, on his side. I crawled over to where he was and we peered through the planks. A woman was dragged out of a car, her hands and legs bound and mouth gagged. She was sobbing and choking. A young girl, maybe four, ran after, shouting, “Mommy!”

A uniformed guard took the girl and placed her in the car, shutting the door. Another guard was standing by the bound woman, loading a rifle. The boy beside me gasped. I turned away instinctively.

The woman screamed through the gag. A shot cracked through the cold night air.

Silence.
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 am
Button says...

This was really good- I think that right after the beginning, perhaps you could work some more. The description stopped me from getting straight into the story. I do wish that there was some background here. Usually, I'm fine with minimal information, but we really know nothing- it sounds like the end of the world, but the end of the world for that character, or for the world? I'm just curious about the evacuation itself.

Overall, I think this was written really well- if you write more, please let me know. I'd love to read it. :)

-Coral-

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 pm
Sierra says...

I really like this, and i think it sounds like the beginning of something. Maybe you should add on to it. Also, i don't get how the beginning of it fits in, about how everyone is wrong about how the world is going to end, and the world doesn't actually end. I would like to know what is going on. Who is your MC? What is their name? Why are they being evacuated?

Over all, this was very well written and i'd love to read more.
What a shame,
We used to be such fragile broken things.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 pm
Stori says...

he’d shouted at me. He’d shouted at me and my little sister Sophie.

You may want to fix this.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 pm
silentpages says...

o.O

That's it?! No! I want more! It was so good! DX

Seriously, really great description, great start to a story, and I really want to know what happens. T-T

I was drawn to this because I have a short story involving 'dying stars', lol, but I'm glad I read this! It's the kind of story I love, and it was really well done. I can really feel the characters' emotions...

The only thing not entirely perfect was that some of the dialogue felt a little stiff...
Like this: “Never mind them now, we must go! If you don’t get on the train this very instant, you’ll be left behind.”
But maybe that's how people talk in the story; I wouldn't know, because I haven't heard much dialogue in it yet.
And I've definitely read worse. ;)

I demand more. But really, this is awesome.
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 pm
SoggyPoptart says...

SporkPunk wrote:Robert Frost was wrong.

The world didn’t end in fire. It didn’t end in ice, either. T.S. Eliot was closer, but still, he was wrong.

No one expected what happened.

Nostradamus, Edward Cayce, the Mayans. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I gazed out at the setting sun from between the grey wood slats of the old cattle railcar. The sun itself was a bright orange color, like that from-concentrate orange juice Mother used to pour in plastic tumblers for breakfast. The sky seemed to cry out in agony, vermilion clouds snaking across like trails of blood gushing from a wound. I couldn’t look for long, though.

Wow, so much detail, I feel like I'm actually reading a book. This is bloody brilliant! I love in the beginning how you say how all of them are wrong, that made me smile a bit. Your details are so amazing they send me shivers.

Kudos to you!
Have a great day and keep writing!

-Soggy
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. Life is more like a jar of Jalapenos, what you do today might burn your rear tomorrow!

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:17 pm
twiggers says...

That was very good. I personally like the way how it's mysterious, it makes me want to keep reading. Please, continue with this particular story, I want to read more! Power to the pen (or pencil...)
Pa-pa-paastaa! Roma-tomay-tahh! Garlic, oo la la! I'm so delicious!
*Courtesy to Annoying Orange*

Reviews: 1
Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:02 pm
hazellwood says...

I liked this--as has been said earlier there is an air of mystique, and it makes it more interesting. A 'hook', if you will. The descriptions in the beginning were very well done. However, while I liked

"The sky seemed to cry out in agony, vermilion clouds snaking across like trails of blood gushing from a wound."
I think that "gushing from a wound" could be cut. It's a bit much, in my opinion. Overall, this excerpt is very busy and that adds to the general chaotic feel. I actually loved that it's somewhat difficult to tell exactly what is happening.

This is a very interesting opening, and I do hope you let us read more.

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett