Young Writers Society

Overheard at the Galactic Governments Convention 2043

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:32 am
Jenthura says...

Spoiler! :
Sci-fi flash fiction dialogue!

“If I ever want something done I have to perform a skirmvas before Our Lord the King.”
“What’s that?”
“A special ceremonial dance requiring the perfect coordination of all seven tentacles and four flippers. We lose about four or five officials a year to the dance because they slip up by two to three millimeters.”
“And what happens to them?”
“Oh, they are thrown from a third-story window and into a shivt-pool. If they survive that then they are beheaded slowly, starting with the two heads on the chest and finishing with the small heads at the ends of their tentacles.”
“Sounds painful.”
“Oh, yes, garnering royal favor can be very hard, and failure means death. But what about you, David? What’s it like on your world?”
“Well, you see, we have these things called lobbyists–”
-ж-Ж-ж-

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:11 pm
PiesAreSquared says...

Jenthura wrote:“Oh, they are thrown from a third-story window and into a shivt-pool. If they survive that then they are beheaded slowly, starting with the two heads on the chest and finishing with the small heads at the ends of their tentacles.”

Cool, i just love it that they have nine heads, eight too many. As to being slowly beheaded, is the operation slow? Or one head at a time? :) anyway, it is a very weird story!
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 pm
BadNarrator says...

This sort of reminds me of Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. A great book. I suggest reading it if you get a chance.
First you will awake in disbelief, then
in sadness and grief and when you wake
the last time, the forest you've been
looking for will turn out to be
right in the middle of your chest.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:17 pm
easilyinspired says...

Okay. Well, what can I say? RANDOM! That just about sums it up don't you think? I like it though, well done!
"Oh, children, children, why are you following me?"
"We couldn't sleep," said Lucy - and then she felt sure that she need say no more and that Aslan knew all they had been thinking.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:38 pm
the doctor says...

This is a nicely-done excerpt. Although I have no idea what this was about, that was pretty cool Except for the fact that it has no descriptions whatsover and that you have no idea which character is saying what, what exactly is going on. YOu need to have more narrative, more descriptions. I understand it is an excerpt, however cautious dues must be done.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:33 am
TheModernist says...

I love short fiction I like this and this was done pretty well: quick, clever and it had a point. You may want to tweak the dialogue a little bit to make the comparison between the lobbyists and the monsters more similar, I suppose. When you read that short last line: “Well, you see, we have these things called lobbyists–," the reader should feel like, "why didn't I notice that before?"

Mo
There's no rain there's no me, I'm tellin' ya man sure as shit. - From Poem by Jack Kerouac

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:38 am
TheWalkinDude says...

One thing I noticed that everyone else reviewing this seemed to miss: this is for a flash-fiction! Honestly, if this is just for something that's going on between two characters in a flash fiction sci-fi thing, this is perfect. Comedy gold as far as I can tell. I'm just hoping I can find this thing now so then I can see it being played out.
I'm striving to be the Architect of the Apocalypse, Master of the Massacre, Ruler of the Rapture, and the Führer of the Fatal.

"It is the tale, not he who tells it." --Stephen King

Take THAT, society!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:10 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Freaking awesome! XD
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,