Young Writers Society

The Effect

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:35 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Hi! Sorry this is later than I said it would be. I fell sick this last weekend, and I never produced enough energy to read anything. But I'm feeling better today, so here I am! Forgive me for any incoherency. :D

First of all, you have a fabulous sense of writing. Your style and vocabulary is wonderful. I can certainly tell you enjoy writing. However, there are a lot of glaring grammar and spelling errors that, unfortunately, detract from that. If you would like me to do a grammar edit on your final draft of this piece, I would most certainly do that for you. In a more timely fashion too! :D

What I struggled most with this was the pace, and the large paragraphs really bogged that down. I feel like this should be much more suspenseful. Someone's stalking the MC! They want to do who-knows-what to the main character. It's an opportunity to scare the wits out of your readers, but we spend so much time with elaborate sentences about the scattered glass and apparently blazing fire that we forget to be scared of this bad guy. xD I even found myself bored sometimes. Perhaps look into shortening some sentences or deleting some description and get on with the action.

I also wasn't a fan of the battle scene. We finally got into some real action, and there were a few points that made me double-take. xD For instance, this entire paragraph threw me off:

I reached the first step and was abducted by fear, my heart pounded loudly as I pivoted on the carpet to confirm my safety. I sighed, he was still staring at the monitor but inside the frame was a reflection of eyes I knew only to well staring back at me. My stomach dropped. I licked my lips. Starting at those vile eyes I ran. I could hear him pursuing me. I tripped on the wet, slick, floor scraping the top of my foot and falling on my hands, almost hitting my head on the elaborate staircase. The wood railing next to me transformed into charcoal black with a a gaping cavity. The bullets rapidly embedding themselves on the banister i covered my head and sprinted. My lungs seemed always empty, legs unrested. I looked back at my hunter as I rounded a corner to my ship, his flaming eyes were to close, his fingers were too happy on the trigger. I saw patience in his wicked smile; I knew he would wait until he was close enough to strike.

Bold -- Bad guy's on the computer (which I'm already at a loss to -- explained later), so who looked at her? I'm so confused.

On the computer, how did bad guy get into it? Why is that computer not turned off or password protected? Or actually, why isn't it just broken? I assume no one's living here. If there is someone living here, I think they'd take greater care in locking the computer, let alone the house. If no one lives here, I don't think electricity is going to work, and thus the computer will not work. (They have to pay for the electric bill, right? ;D)

Underlined -- If bad guy is patient, why is he trigger-happy? That was confusing as well.

He stepped forward, as if he didn't want to miss. I reached back where I left my gun and fired. He lunged back and screeched, clutching his left eye.

I thought this was a stupid move by the bad guy. xD Did he not see her weapon laying right next to her? I think he'd make an extra effort to kick it out of her reach. Or at least pick it up and use it himself.

So that's my spiel on the battle scene.

Moving on, I would love to guess what was actually going on. I feel like this was written for the battle scene, not for the plot. Why was the MC there? Why is the MC being hunted? Is bad guy actually the bad guy or a police officer? Who was bad guy talking to on the monitor? The MC, I think, said they knew. The reader doesn't though. Also, I think a little more characterization would be lovely. What kind of person is the MC? How should the reader relate to them? Strengths? Weaknesses? I feel like bad guy was done much better than the MC since he's meant to be creepy. But the MC is the most important character since the reader is following them through the entire thing. Since you don't have a lot of thought dialogue (which is totally okay, I swear!), show us with their actions. You show us a little bit with the glass and such. The quick pick up of the glass before they re-hid themselves. That was awesome! Keep doing some of that.

Other than those points I had, I think you have an awesome story. I'm very interested in what you've got. I kinda started thinking of the Disney movie Treasure Planet. Not sure if that was intentional. I love that movie to bits. Anyway, I think you can definitely clean this up. Your friend will love it!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm
lovethelifeulive says...

Hi!
I loved loved loved it!
You did an amazing job! You used the perfect amount of detail and the writing was creative and kept me on my toes!
I wouldn't change a thing! I wish I could write the thousand page review that you deserve, but am not as talented with that.
The short story was so great I will definatly recommend it to my friends and followers because it should definatly be a featured work. You did a great job and thank you for posting it, I hope to see more writing like this from you soon!
If you prick us, shall we not bleed?
If you tickle us, shall we not laugh?
If you poison us, shall we not die?
If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
The Merchants of Venice-Shakespear
Love the life u live,
and live the life u love

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey Berlynn! You're not new, but still I would like to welcome you since you haven't been around much. xD! So, yay, welcome to YWS! '

Since you haven't had much of detailed reviews, I would try to help you out as much as I can.

Beep. Beep.
That should be in italics.

It was time, I had hoped they couldn't find me.
I think there's some problem in the grammar with the second part of the sentence. When I read it, I just don't feel it's right. So maybe try re-phrasing it. Or maybe this: It was time, I had hoped they wouldn't find me.

Had I left a trial?
It's trial.

The glass snapped and became grains of painful dust as Boyer stepped closer.
I liked this sentence. :D

"Yes?" He said speaking into a device I couldn't see.
Then how could the MC tell that it was a 'device'. He could be talking to air for all he knew.

First of all, I would like to point out that you have a weak grammar. Most of the times I had to read the same sentence twice to get the gist of it. The commas were either not placed and even if they were, they were at the wrong positions. Commas are a big thing for a writer to focus on and I can see that that's your weakest point. Google it up and once you're through with reading the matter regarding it on the net, edit this up. I won't spoon-feed you and tell you every place where you missed out a comma or placed it wrongly. If you need help, you know where to contact me. I would be more than glad to lend you a helping hand. Don't forget to work on it.

Since you had a major problem with commas, I had trouble following on the story. I must say that the idea and the plot you had was quite good and words you used were also more than 'just ordinary' but the grammar spoiled it all. But still you do have good word choices and I see that they're going to turn this into a good piece with fine grammar.

Okay since there were so many mistakes, my mind couldn't enjoy the story. Also, I didn't get it. Maybe it was my mistake, but I lost my interest so couldn't review, and I am very sorry for this. Seriously I am.

~Shrubs
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm
CelticaNoir says...

I think this is really good, but you could do with a few overall grammar and spelling checks. A few lines could do with some work, and you could describe more and leave some exposition out. Otherwise, it was really good, and you left me wanting to know what happens next. Keep the good work, and I mean it.

Robyn.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:15 pm
View Likes
Azila says...

Hi! Sorry I've taken so long getting this to you. Things have been rather hectic for me of late. I'm not sure how much help I'll be after all the reviews you've already gotten, but I'll do my best.

Anyhow--as everyone else has already pointed out, you have a lot of grammar issues here. There are lots of little typos and run-on sentences and such that really should be taken care of in a final draft. I'm not going to point them all out right now, because that would take a long time and it would be rather tedious both for you and for me--but if you need any help with that, just let me know. One technical thing I will point out, though, is that you need to pay attention to your apostrophes. Take this for example:
I shuffled into my ships cabin, diving on the metallic floor and reaching my arms out until I slid next to my chair.
That should be "ship's" because it's possessive. You do this on several occasions throughout the piece, and I found it somewhat distracting.

Overall, I think you have a good base here. You've obviously got a lot of ideas for the world and how things work there, which is great. It really feels like there's more to the world than what you've included in the story, and I love that because I get the sense that it's a real place and I'm just seeing a glimpse of it. You mention technology and things that I don't know about as though I did know about them, which helps make it feel like you're talking about a place that is very real--I just haven't been there. Nice.

My main problem with this piece is that I don't feel connected with the main character (MC). At all. He/she (I don't even know that, do I?) goes through these things which could be very interesting but, frankly, I found it hard to make myself care. I just don't know enough about your MC enough because I don't know enough about them. I'd like to see the more personal/emotional side as well as the action-y side, because right now you've only got the latter and I found myself skimming a bit.

So. How do fix this? My suggestion would be to add more emotions in. Let us know more about the intricacies of what MC is feeling--and not only what they are feeling, but why they are feeling it. I really want to know more about your MC so I can relate to them more. Maybe add in some back-story? How did he/she even get onto that ship in the first place? Is this his/her job? Is this his/her first time doing something like this? You mention that he/she was chosen for this task, but I'd like to know more about that--does he/she get chosen for things like this very often? How does he/she feel about being chosen? You don't have to go over-the-top with all this; a little would go a long way.

All in all, good job. You've got a lot going for you here--but I really just think that a little personal stuff along with the action would help the piece a lot, because it would give us a reason to read it other than just for an exciting story--to get to know the character.

PM me or write on my wall if you have any questions or want me to clarify anything!

Beamishly,
a

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 pm
KhardanJakk says...

Beep. Beep. It was time, I had hoped they couldn't find me. I guess it was inevitable my ship had recklessly crashed into a house on Earth. I was running from the most powerful and deadly army in the universe the alarm on the monitor told me i only had seconds to hide. I scrambled down the metal stairs, "Clumsy human feet," I muttered under my breath. Soon the hard metal was replaced with soft carpet. I was in the house now, I let my eyes adjust for only a moment.

All right! So first of all, here...on the second sentence. I would make it: "It was time; I hoped they couldn't find me."
A semi-colon would work better than a comma there.
"I guess it was inevitable my ship had recklessly..." I would suggest putting a "that" after inevitable. :)
"...monitor told me i had only seconds to hide." Capitalize the i.
'I scrambled down the stairs, "Clumsy human feet," I muttered...' Put a period after stairs.
"I was in the house now, I let my eyes adjust for only a moment." I would suggest putting an "and" after the comma. :)

The room had a computer of a lesser quality than one that was Nybot made. A TV occupied the opposite side of the room, slightly hidden in the corner. Papers and glass were scattered all over the floor. A couch, appeared overturned but it would be difficult to conceal my body behind. My heart pounded knowing only to well that Boyer, a solider and hunter from Roitart, would come down stairs. The alarm on my ship reverberated until it was silenced by a greater sound, the throbbing hum of a Roitartian ship. I scrambled behind the TV held by a small wooden stand. I clenched my teeth to conceal my breathing and grabbed my feet to form a undetectable and awkward ball.

"A couch, appeared overturned but it would be difficult to conceal my body behind." Hmm...this is gramatically and punctually incorrect. I would suggest rewriting this sentence, perhaps like this: "The couch was overturned, though it would be difficult to conceal my body behind."
"My heart pounded knowing only to well that Boyer, a soldier..." Put a comma after pounded, and then "to" should be "too." :)
"...silenced by a greater sound, the throbbing..." I would but a dash instead of a comma there, but that's just me lol.
"I scrambled behind the TV held by a wooden stand. I clenched my teeth to conceal my breathing and grabbed my feet to form a undetectable and awkward ball." I would put these two together, perhaps something like this: "I scrambled behind the TV [you don't need to add the information on the stand], clenching my teeth to stifle my breathing. I grabbed my feet, forming an undetectable and awkward ball." See what I mean? :)

My feet felt wet as if I had stepped in something. I scraped my naked feet but the fluid kept returning. I finally squeezed my hand around the now tender skin and then pressed my fingers to my lips. The taste seemed almost metallic, I gasped. Blood. Had I left a trial? I peered around the edge of the wooden stand. Empty. Boyer must have been searching my ship for me and the information I withdrew from any Roitart. They only rule that still hung its heavy law above our heads was, eternal enemies never formed alliances and forced peace is always war. I withdrew from my hiding place and forced my uncomfortable body on its hands and knees. I searched, from what little light was provided, for the trail. Bits of glass next to me reflected red marks. I hastily overturned them; making high pitch chimes of shattered glass echo to the enemy. The light faded as Boyer walked down the metal staircase. I scurried back, behind the TV and held my breath. Boyer was here and I was unprepared.

"My feet felt wet as if I had stepped in something. I scraped my naked feet but the fluid kept returning." Put a comma after wet...and then, you say "feet" twice. Perhaps a different word would suffice...? Because being repetitive is never good! :(
"The taste seemed almost metallic, I gasp." I would put an "and" after the comma there.
Ooh, this is getting intense!

He hissed as his heavy boots crunched the glass. I slowly exhaled and peered around the corner. I saw him standing where I had stood only moments ago. His posture was more aggressive; the faded blue color to his skin seemed alien. His hands clenched and released in a rhythmic pattern. I would not look at his eyes, cruel and sinister Roitartian eyes, I knew they would be burning coal, black and fiery as night. I shoved my body back knocking the chips of glass. I froze. It was quite with the exception of the eternal warning my ship repeated.

Hmm...in the second and third sentence here, I wouldn't start with "I" both times. Maybe in the third sentence you could write it something like: "He stood where I had been only moments ago."
I wouldn't say color when describing his skin, but maybe "fue" or "tinge." But that's just me :)
"I would not look at his eyes, cruel and sinister Roitartian eyes, I knew they would..." Hmm. I would put a "because" or a "for" before the "I knew."
Good description there.
"I shoved my body back knocking the chips of glass." Put a comma after "back."
Should quite be quiet? I'm not too sure...lol.

Boyer laughed. I inhaled. The task I had been chosen for would never be completed. I closed my eyes and waited for the worst. I imagined Boyer's slender face inches from mine, smiling cruelly. The glass snapped and became grains of painful dust as Boyer stepped closer. I listened more intently, his breathing was heavy was the poison oxygen filled his lungs. One other sound caught my attention, the easy hum of a weapon, a gun I knew only too well. The sound of it squealing as it spun and a single click of the trigger made me inhale and open my eyes.

"I listened more intently, his breath was heavy was the poison oxygen filled his lungs." I would make this: "I listened more intently; his breath became more heavy as the poison oxygen filled his lungs."
"The sound of it squealing as it spun and a single click of the trigger made of inhale and open my eyes." Hmm...this sounds gramatically incorrect, somehow...maybe rewrite this one? Oh, and you say "inhale" twice in this paragraph. Perhaps you should fix that? Your choice. :)

I felt the heat radiate from the couch as it sizzled and popped, flames expanded to the ceiling and transformed the white into charred black. There was only one more place to look before I was found. His shoes, matted with broken glass scrapped the shards was he took very deliberate steps towards the TV, to my hiding place, to me.

"...flames expanded to the ceiling and transformed the white into charred black." I would make this a separate sentence.
I like how his shoes were "matted with broken glass" :) but then, "scrapped?" I think you mean "scraped."
Uh, oh. Is he gonna find her?! o:

"Lieutenant Boyer! Please come in!" He hesitated, his weight ground the litter as he stood, "Lieutenant Boyer!" The voice repeated more loudly this time.

Hmmm...just a thought, but I would change this paragraph around. Maybe to something like this: "Lieutenant Boyer! Please come here!" The voice paused, on the brink of hesitating, and the person's/man's (?) weight ground the litter as he stood. "Lieutenant Boyer!" he shouted, more loudly this time.
See what I mean? Because you can't just say "him" or "come in," lol. We don't know exactly what's going on yet.

"Yes?" He said speaking into a device I couldn't see. He walked away whispering quietly into the air. His voice hissed soft words into the receiver. I closed my eyes and listened as his boots rubbed into the glass embedded carpet. His voice trailed off as he slithered to the other side of the room. I hoped that his mumbled words would create a coherent sentence. My chest rose and fell, he was the ultimate hunter, I was cornered. He knew it, I knew it, and I could not escape.

All right...now this I don't really understand. Where is the man that was calling for him? That is kind of confusing...might want to fix that :)
"Yes?" He said... Don't capitalize "he." :)
"My chest rose and fell, he was the ultimate hunter, I was cornered." Put a semi-colon after "fell," and then put an "and" after the comma that goes after "hunter."

An instant crack above me caught my attention as little pellets of water pounded on the broken residence. His signal would be lost with his superior officer unless he found another form of communication. I carefully planted my palms on the wicked shards, I felt the piercing presser as the broke my thin skin, embedding themselves comfortably into my hands. My eyes blurred as I single drop of water spilled from them. I pushed down on the glass harder so I could look around the small feeble wood. Boyer was seated and attempted to use the computer to pass information. His hands thrummed the desk anxiously as he waited.

An instant? I would make it just "a crack." :)
"I carefully planted my palms on the wicked shards, I felt the piercing presser as the broke my thin skin..." I would make this: "I carefully planted my palms on the wicked shards, feeling the glass pierce my thin skin."
"My eyes blurred as a single drop of water spilled from them." I would call it a tear, not just water.
Maybe she should say "so I could look around the TV"?
"Boyer was seated and attempted to use..." Attempting, not attempted. :)

I looked up the stairs, which served as an exit in the middle of the room for both him and me. I stared at the ground now as the rain beat fists of water on the remains of the roof and the fire crackled next to me, there was no place for the bare feet to find relief. I glanced at a larger piece of glass, the fires bright light burned back to me, it was the only way. I decided. As soon as the material I saw in the large shard ignited, I would run. I would flee to my ship and lock the door. The blaze seemed to dance around the cotton pattern, avoiding the very spot that would launch me into flight. Ash floated around the light, lading softly, like downy.

I would say you don't need to add "in the middle of the room," because I'm sure we the readers would assume where it is :) but it's your story, not mine xD!
"...there was no place for my bare feet to find relief." I would make this a separate sentence.
"I glanced at the larger piece of glass, the fires bright light burned back to me, it was the only way." I don't exactly understand this one...
Ooh, she's going to explode something! Awesome; I love explosions. ;)

I stole a glace at Boyer, who was still gazing into the labyrinth of the monitor. I reassessed how I was going to run without being heard, he was only a few feet at most from me. The rain would not allow me to speak, it was not loud enough. Looking down at the mirror, the reflected image of the cloth began to spark, and the fire drank the color of the couch. One last glance at Boyer's still face I ran, ignoring the fact that if I was heard he would kill me. I was surprised how light on my feet I was, the glass hadn't moved beneath me.

"...without being heard, he was only a few feet at most from me." I would put a semi-colon after "heard," instead of a comma. "At most." Hmm. I would put "away" instead.
"One last glance at Boyer's still face I ran..." I would start it like: "With one last look at Boyer's still face, I ran..."
"...on my feet I was, the glass..." I would put a semi-colon, not a comma. :)

I reached the first step and was abducted by fear, my heart pounded loudly as I pivoted on the carpet to confirm my safety. I sighed, he was still staring at the monitor but inside the frame was a reflection of eyes I knew only to well staring back at me. My stomach dropped. I licked my lips. Starting at those vile eyes I ran. I could hear him pursuing me. I tripped on the wet, slick, floor scraping the top of my foot and falling on my hands, almost hitting my head on the elaborate staircase. The wood railing next to me transformed into charcoal black with a a gaping cavity. The bullets rapidly embedding themselves on the banister i covered my head and sprinted. My lungs seemed always empty, legs unrested. I looked back at my hunter as I rounded a corner to my ship, his flaming eyes were to close, his fingers were too happy on the trigger. I saw patience in his wicked smile; I knew he would wait until he was close enough to strike.

"I sighed, he was still staring a the monitor but inside the frame was a reflection of his eyes I knew only to well staring back at me." Hmmm...I would make this: "I sighed; he was still staring at the monitor, but inside the frame was a reflection of the eyes I knew only too well. They were locked onto me, I realized, and my stomach took a plunge." See? :) Your choice, though.
"Starting at those vile eyes I ran." Staring, I think...add a comma after "eyes."
"...floor scraping the top of my foot..." Put a comma after "floor."
"The bullets rapidly embedding themselves on the banister i covered my head..." Embedding...I would put "embedded." I would write it as, "...on the banister as I covered my head..." Capitalize the "I," by the way. :)
"My lungs seemed always empty..." I would take out the "always."
"...his flaming eyes were to close." I would make this a separate sentence, and add another o to "to."

I shuffled into my ships cabin, diving on the metallic floor and reaching my arms out until I slid next to my chair. I grabbed the gun and shot back. He dodged into the hall. The open door was vacant. It stood menacingly almost beckoning me to it. Desiring me to peer around the edge of the frame and find my greatest fear. A Roitartian hunter. I scrambled onto the chair, and turned my ship on, typing foreign keys on a computer pad. Placing my gun on the counter I listened closely as iron bullet castings fell to the ground, his gun was loaded. I heard the shot but did not feel the impact, my leg gave way and I toppled to the ground. Boyer stood in the middle of the door way, his eyes set on me and gun facing the floor.

"I shuffled into my ships cabin..." Apostrophy in "ships." :)
"It stood menacingly almost beckoning me to it." Comma after "menacingly."
"...find my greatest fear. A Roitartian hunter." I would put a : thing instead of a comma, after "fear." Then you won't need to capitalize the "A," and you won't have so many short, choppy sentences there. =D
"Placing my gun on the counter I listened..." Comma after "counter."
"...fell to the ground, his gun was loaded." Semi-colon instead of a comma! lol.
"...feel the impact, my leg..." I would make these separate sentences.

"I'm sorry Reva" He mocked. He stepped forward, as if he didn't want to miss. I reached back where I left my gun and fired. He lunged back and screeched, clutching his left eye. I fired again, this time at the key pad next to the door. It shut and loud banging from the other side echoed, as if he was pounding on the door. Lighting cracked, and Boyer's wails shattered through the door to my ears making my hair stand on end.

"I'm sorry Reva" He mocked. ...This should be: "I'm sorry, Reva," he mocked.
"...to my ears making my hair stand on end." Comma after "ears." :)

"Computer!" I shouted, "Take us as far as we can go!" I sat at my desk, my ship hummed as it detached from the broken house. I examined my leg. "Just a graze..." I mumbled. Beams crashed onto my ship as I attempted to free myself from what would be a very unfamiliar grave.

No comma after "shouted"!!! lol.
Make a new paragraph after the second thing she says, 'kay? :)
"...at my desk, my ship hummed..." Either put a semi-colon or an "and."

"Ships power is low, will not be able to leave atmosphere." The computer stated. The sky outside screamed and streams of hard water whipped my broken ship. My glorious ship finally rose above the roof, into the stormy night. Boyer's ship was casually sprawled on the lawn. The feared Roitartian symbol pasted on his ship told me I could not hide, but I would try running.

"Ships power is low, will not be able to leave atmosphere." The computer stated.
Apostrophy in "ships," maybe make the dialogue two sentences, put a comma after "atmosphere," and don't capitalize "the." :)

"Computer!" I ordered, the ultimate plan stirring in my head, "Fire!"

No comma after "head"!!! lol.

I knew that would completely drain all of my ships energy. I felt it pulling back, sucking any form of power. The artificial lights flickered as I ran through a narrow hall until I reached a pod. I was cramped and not meant for a human body. My ship lurched as Boyer fought back, I fell into the wall. My nose bled. The lights flickered again until the remaining bulbs were dim, it started draining energy again. Preparing for what would be the final shot. I buckled myself in and grabbed the pod door.

"I was cramped and not meant for a human body." Should the first word here be "It"?
"...fought back, I fell into the wall." Semi-colon! lol.
"...were dim, it started draining energy again." I would make these separate sentences, or put an "and."
"Preparing for what would be the final shot. I buckled myself in..." I would put a comma after "shot," joining the two sentences. :)

"Computer! Self destruct!" I commanded, slamming the door. My last escape and chance to destroy Boyer could as become my last mission. My secret would die with me. I heard the count down and inhaled as his rapid fire rocked what was left of my protection. Three. The bullets blended in sync with the thunder creating a perfect symphony of chaos. Two. The rain pounded and I could not tell if it was my heart....my mind, raging or the storm outside tossing my body. One. I pressed the escape button in my small unusual pod. Then the world went black.

"My last escape and chance to destroy Boyer could as become my last mission." I don't exactly understand this one here...maybe rewrite it?
You use the word "inhaled" so much...perhaps you should use different words? Like "held my breath" or something.
"...sync with the thunder creating..." Comma after "thunder."
"...if it was my heart....my mind, raging or the storm outside tossing my body." This I don't understand too well, either.
"I pressed the escape button in my small unusual pod." Comma after "small." Andddd...we're good!

All right. So I highlighted all of my comments in red, for ya :)
You did a very good job on this, although it took quite a while--nearly half an hour--to review this xD!!! I scourged the entire thing for mistakes, lol. I'm really looking forward to seeing the edited version of this! Good work, keep it up! I'm sure your friend is going to love it. :)
If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work.
"Can't work today. Still queer."

Random avatar

Reviews: 36
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:07 pm
DragonLADY says...

Berlynn (awesome name, BTW),
This was a great story!! Everyone else took care of the nitpicks, but I know how important this is to you and your friend, so I'll see what I can do with the notes I took.

There was a little confusion about what exactly Boyer is, and how he can breathe oxygen if it's poisoning to him. And then, does the main character only talk through water?? Boyer, is an impeccably designed antagonist. Very good! He's very creepy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! Wait...... it's ocer? Whew, I scared myself for a minute there.

What an adrenaline rush. heck, I dont even know what Boyer is, but he sketches me out. Big time. *Shivers* eek. Your friend is gonna love this, and if she (or maybe he) doesnt, well that's too bad for that person because they're missing out on something awesome so there. lol.
You have been adressed by the Lady of the Dragons, lol

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm
theotherone says...

Hello there, I'm here as requested!

I'm sorry it took so long for reviewing, I didn't have time... And now that I took so long, there's nothing left to say in the nitpicks department. :)

Plot wise, it's good and I like it, but there's a few things missing. For one, what is she/he (I'm nor sure which it is) trying to escape. I know it's a 'hunter', but why is he hunting her? You mention a secret at the end... Is this it? In my opinion, you should give us a little more information on why the guy is hunting her. You don't have to tell us all about it, if you'd rather keep it a 'secret', but I still think a little information, as in an events that links it back to it or something like that would help. Also, I'm a little confused on how they both ended up in a house when they both had a boat... You might also want to clear this up in making an allusion on what had been happening before they ended up in the house. Or even just make the MC remember her running away or whatever it was...

I'm more then confused on all the things around the main story, which is great. But without the information to complete it, it's confusing.

Hope I helped!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 am
Sionarama says...

Wow that was a really good story! I just had some few nitpicks though.
You may need to read your story aloud and look for place where you could put commas. I noticed in a lot of sentences there were places for commas that just kept going. And it would be perfect in the story, if not for the fact that, as the reader, I had no background on the character, or even the story. I don't understand where they are, who she is, where are they in time, who is the person she is trying to fight/kill and why. I mean, I get his name, but why is she trying to kill him, and what is he? Is this in the future, the past, on another planet? I'd really like to know.
If you want to keep the story but still write the background without ruining the plot, it is always good to write in italics a little prolouge/introduction.
Other than that, I bet that your friend will die with excitement/joy/amazement/thankfullness when they read this.
Have fun,
Sionarama
"You may not be educated well in the areas of etiquette and the like as a princess, but you do throw some bashing good parties!"
Not all princesses are pink sparkles.
Exhibit A

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 am
Soulkana says...

daannngg girl you did good. I hope your friend loves it and omg haha Boyer is my last name. *starts rolling on the floor laughing*oh the irony omg haha. Sorry Thats just so funny and uncommon its funny. Good luck and Happy Writing I plan to read more later ^^ Keep up the good work
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:16 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Hi! First off, let me just say that I'm very sorry it's taken me so long to review this. You've already received some excellent reviews, so there's not much for me to say now.

The main thing I noticed with this story is your style of writing. You seem to have trouble knowing where to place punctuation marks and when to start a new sentence. It feels like you're rushing through the story at times, just from the way that you wrote it. My suggestion would be to read it aloud, and that should hopefully help you distinguish the spots where you need to take a pause or even a full break (in other words, start a new sentence).

It also felt like you did a lot of telling throughout the story instead of showing; granted, it can be difficult to show everything when you're writing in first person, but it's generally good to try and avoid telling.

I really can't say much else that hasn't already been said. Good luck with your future endeavors! Cheers. (:
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical