z

Young Writers Society

Red Amidst Black - Part 1

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:59 pm
ultraviolet says...

Spoiler! :
This is my entry for the Writer's Roulette contest. I'm putting my genre and element in a spoiler at the bottom.

I spent the first seventeen years of my life drugged. I woke up hung over. I drank coffee. Mornings dragged. Midday was sweet. Afternoons brought promise. Nights were a wispy splay of dreamy thoughts, actions, patterns. Sleep gave visions of something vibrant, colorful, passionate; something I wanted desperately. I woke up hung over. Just another I.
That was life. Don’t forget that.
Everyone in Perry, in all of Lindon, lived this way. It was just how things went. We were all obedient, complacent; given what we wanted within a thick, thick line of reason. Days were often monotonous, but each had a purpose, an underlying grounds for being; all we had to do was figure the purpose out. Once we did, everything would make sense. If we didn’t, well… We always did. As did everyone.
Anybody that ever visited was wild; irrationally behaving. Something was always wrong. Someone was always unwanted. Everything was imperfection. They didn’t realize how fortunate we were. That we had to be grateful. They said we were too passive - but they never realized that it was not necessary to be aggressive. We did what the Officials said; they gave us what we needed, sometimes what we wanted. This unspoken agreement worked for all. We were content. They had to give us that, had to give it to anybody.
And they did. Anyone could see how better off we were; they always looked so needing, wanting, hungry. Like there was something missing. Something they were looking for, but they couldn’t find. Maybe they didn’t even know what that thing was. The only thing anyone in Lindon searched for was their daily purpose. Other than that, we had everything attainable already. There was nothing to work towards; no or, no and.
Visitors joked about how there was something different about the air, how there must be something in the water. They all were, for the most part, kidding. After all, they were only visitors.
Maybe they should have thought harder. Maybe.
My name is Magdalena Cloris. I was seventeen years old when I woke up, really woke up, for the first time. My father’s name was Clarence, and my mother’s name was Lisa. They both worked for MediTab, a company which made and distributed medications, mostly prescription. We lived on a hill, a large one with five manors sitting on its crown. I went to school at a private academy where I had many friends, both boys and girls, but never a boyfriend because it wasn’t allowed. I got straight A’s, as all students at my school did, and was never in trouble. Teachers respected me, as I did them. Nothing ever upset my perfect, filtered world. Not until they wanted to dye my beautiful hair. Oh, my.
Most people had brown hair, bland, like the cereal we ate for breakfast. Some were lucky - some were blonde from the sun, or had hair closer to dark chocolate than milk. Every so often there was a rarity, someone with bleached tresses or ink-colored locks. But I wasn’t like most.
Mine was the color of fire, of blood that tears up when you pricked your finger. Brighter than the deep scarlet ball gowns that were sometimes allowed; bolder than the boldest sunsets, the ones that dared shine beyond the mountainous horizon. For most of my life, my hair was duller; I was sixteen when it exploded with uniqueness, something all mine.
A long, complete year, I hid it, wore it stuck with a dozen pins, covered in an array of hats that were just uniform enough to be allowed. Only at night would I let it down, brush through it, relish in it. I did this because if they, the Officials or anyone who worked for them, found out about this, they’d want to change it. Normalize it. Make it just like everyone else’s. As inconsequential as another A.
That was the biggest rule: don’t stand out. Don’t have something someone else might want - might covet. And if you do, don’t let anyone find out about it. Keep it a secret, or let it be taken away. The options ended with that.
This worked well for a while. No one found out about my hair, though my hat fetish was suspiciously noted, and each day I remained unfound out was a sigh of relief. I had feelings toward my hair color I didn‘t know I could have. I wanted it, too much. Wanted the aspect of specialty. Of singularity. Of being set apart, whether anyone around me knew it or not. I’d never felt loss, not at any funeral I’d ever attended, but whenever I thought of ever losing my red hair, I got a tightness in my chest, and felt that maybe I’d been given a glimpse of loss. Of pain. I didn’t like this.
I kept my hair hidden. It was only for I.
Two weeks after my seventeenth birthday, early May, I walked a large dog through the park - it might have been a Lab or a Shepherd - as my job. It was around two.
Exceptions exempt, each teenager was assigned a part time job in high school. It didn’t matter if you were in a dozen extracurricular activities, sports or band or choir, or if you had to take care of younger siblings, or had a low grade point average and needed the time to study. No exceptions.
They made me a dog walker. The dog’s name was They.
I walked through the park entrance, across the front lawn, toward the fountain. Benches were scattered across the large, grassy area, and lamp posts aligned with them. A ways off I could hear children playing, their mild laughter, see their slow-moving bodies. They looked happier than any local I’d met. They must have been foreign. One of them screamed. They were not content. Not like I.
Wind was whipping my clothes around. I could hear a hum in my ears, and the scent of dry grass met my nose, though the grass was lush. It was midday - sweet - a perfect time to walk the dog. I had a sense of refreshment, of finishing a hard project, of leaving a hard situation. A sigh, a moment of rest, before the world knocked you over again, before it unleashed a much more bitter wind.
They sauntered ahead as I walked leisurely despite the breeze, and when I got to the fountain I let the water spray me, a ragged blanket of lukewarm drops. The day was typical - the week, the year - and it never occurred to me to worry about what might happen. Because there were a million things that “might happen.” It wasn’t worth worrying about the things that could potentially go wrong with They.
Except, that day, I should have worried. A lot of things except.
They saw something, a squirrel maybe, and broke into a sprint. Even as it yanked on its leash, made me run after it, I still wasn’t worried. These things happened. Animals weren’t like us - they were spontaneous, lacking in any sort of self-discipline; everything they did, they did extremely. Chasing squirrels was no different. It was my job to get control back from They.
And I started to, started doing all the things I was taught in training, but They jerked left, slamming my shin into the fountain, making me topple into it. The dog wrenched the leash from my hand and sped away until I couldn’t see it anymore, and -
For a few moments I just sat there, the fountain pouring buckets of water on my head. The water seeped red as it mingled with the blood from my scraped up leg, which stung, but felt as if a thick layer of slime was covering it, numbing it. Then I saw my hat, periwinkle, resting at the edge of the fountain, water lapping it, drenching it. My pins fell out too. That’s what my body started to move for.
I clumsily stood up against the pressure of the water, walking forward and reaching for the sides of the fountain. When my back was turned from its spray, I wiped my eyes. I saw people all around, staring at me. Staring at my hair. At I.
Only the foreign children weren’t watching. Them only.
At first I was horrified, unable to move, and confused, so confused. All I could think about was that I needed to get away from there, from the staring people, before anyone realized who I was, and that I was different. Someone to hate at.
Too late. A team of Coppers - policemen, security guards - descended on me. They told me to stay calm, they just had to take me in. None of them really expected a fight, I don’t think - after all, who would fight? Everyone knew the rules. Everyone knew it was pointless to disagree, and most people didn’t find anything worth disagreeing with anyway. Except, I was different - too different. Just a little too.
It was like my mind was always dark, like night, and someone had turned on a flashlight for the first time - I could see things, want things, realize how important it was. I needed my hair. They couldn’t take it away from me. They couldn’t take it.
Desperate, I tried to run, but they grabbed my arms. I kicked and screamed like a foreign child, even tried to bite one of the Coppers. I hurled insult after insult, until finally, they had to sedate me. Ironically, it felt like normal, the slowness, the inability to think right, think things through - except, this made me sleep. Black out. The last thing I remember of that day was dozens of eyes looking at me in fright. Scared at how I was desperate.
Because no local girl ever cared enough to put up a fight. Just because.

When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was the pain; it was everywhere, lacing up and down my body, through my body, pounding nails into my skin and eyes, and hammering my bones. The light was so bright each of the bulbs in the ceiling could have been a sun I couldn’t escape, that burned my eyes with each blink. In a couple minutes, the sensations lessened, but were still greater than I’d ever felt. When would they stop? When?
Lying on something - a bed, I thought, but I wasn’t sure - I started to reorient. I also thought my arms and legs were strapped down, but I couldn’t move anyway and my mind had too much to filter to notice. Without warning, a metallic churning rumbled from below me and I started to move - my whole bed did. The upper part tilted forward, until I was in a sitting position and could see who else was in the room in which I was half lying.
I saw woman in a black suit and a man in white scrubs standing in front of my bed. The man was holding a clipboard. I could see everything about them so clearly, like they were drawn with a tiny laser beam that intensified every detail about them. They were colored with pigments so bright, much brighter than my hair, and so unique; each strand of hair had its own shade; each was different from the rest. At first I thought it was them - they were different - but soon my mother walked in, looking like them, and I realized that was wrong; there was nothing different with them. I was the different one. It was I.
All of them started to gesture around and talk, but I couldn’t hear them - everything that came from their mouths was clipped, and exaggerated, too soft to hear and too loud, all at once - but when they finished, I grasped their intent; as soon as the drugs wore off, they were going to dye my hair permanently. I’d no longer be different. Just like them all.
Frantic, I wanted to cry out and thrash around and try to reason with them, make them realize that I wasn’t hurting anyone, no one had to know, but somehow, something in me knew that wouldn’t help, and it told me to stay still. Call it instinct; I’d never felt it before. I tried hard to not look frantic.
Somber, I nodded my head - and the pain I felt in doing so, it was terrifying - and they all looked relieved - too relieved, but that might have been me. They left, my mother as close to crying as I’d seen her. They all must have been so pleased at how easily I was giving in; how easily I’d succumb to their plan. Except I wouldn’t. Not if I had anything to say about it. But all they’d see was Magdalena, expectedly somber.
That was life. Don’t forget that.

Plan, I told myself. Figure out escape. I didn’t know how long it would take for the drugs to wear off. Each passing minute, everything became more and more magnified, concentrated, intensified. And yet… more subtle. More tolerable, actually. Like I could live within the confines of such dramatic senses without drowning in their strength. It was no longer a burden to see, to hear, to move. I even thought I could talk, though I never tried - there was no one to talk to, and I needed to spend my time working on my master plan which was not quite fool-proof enough to satisfy but would have to do. By nightfall, when the light flowing from the window darkened and the florescent lights above were dimmed, I was ready to carry out my plan.
Throughout the day, I pulled and tugged and worked the strap on my left arm, loosening it. Not much happened, but now, when I tried, I was able to slip it down just a little. As my arm narrowed, I no longer had to struggle. Adrenaline raced in my body, all throughout.
Once that was done, it was simple; I unlatched the strap on my other arm and undid the ones around my legs. I crept from my bed over to the window. It was locked, but from the inside, and I flipped the latch. I slid it open, as silently as I could, and a breeze snaked in from outside. I froze - its icy tendrils attacked my body, sending chills up my spine. But I waited - it would be okay. Just like with everything else, it would transform from unbearable to manageable - no, not manageable; desirable. It was rejuvenating, like I’d been given special, inhuman powers. Just this once.
The building I was in was constructed of bricks, big ones, with room between each other where the sealer didn’t reach. I gripped these spots until my knuckles turned white and lowered myself out the window, searching with my feet for holds. I descended like this, with a bitter wind slicing at me, the roughness of the bricks scraping my body which was pressed up against it, dark clouds hanging in the sky, threatening rain. Normally, I’d be blind now without a bright moon; but off the drugs, I could see fine. Better than normally. It makes me wonder if maybe I wasn’t just on the drugs they sedated me with - because life was never like this before - maybe there was something else, something more powerful and unknown and frightening. Something whose name started with a big, capital “The”.
But I didn’t have time to think about that as I scaled the wall, because my nerves were on fire, and not necessarily in a bad way. Everything ached and jabbed, but I took it, harsh as it was; I could take anything. I was super aware of all the hurt in my body, but also super aware of how easy it was to handle it. I could handle anything they threw at me. So let them come and find me and try to take me away again - it wouldn’t work. I was invincible, without a but.
That didn’t stop me from running to the shadows as soon as I touched ground. I fled between trees on the yard until I reached the edge - a row of forest. I entered it to get out of view, but stopped once concealed in all that.
Blood propelling, my heart was pounding. I had no idea where to go, what to do, just that I had to do something before they found me and made me go back and took away the only thing that ever mattered to me. Until they took away this, the feeling of everything, the exhilaration of seeing clearly and thinking clearly and not feeling inclined to do what they say, listen to their words and obey their every command. Screw them. I needed to get away before they took me in cold blood.
For a split second I worried about my family - my emotional mother who almost screamed at me, almost cried over me, and my strict father who got tight faced whenever an unwanted squirrel passed through our backyard, messing with the uniform perfection he’d worked to achieve - and wondered how I could just leave them. And my friends, all the people I cared for.
Then I realized, I didn’t care about them. Never once in my life had it occurred to me that they were something I needed to work at keeping, needed to work at loving. Because I never loved them; I never loved anyone or anything. They were just always there, another result of pairing together equals, people who were never jealous of one another because there was nothing to be jealous about, and never would be then.
About as soon as I realized that, I banished them from my mind. They weren’t worth even thinking about.
Trees rustled noisily around me, sometimes dropping their leaves about me. I didn’t know where I was, if I was near home or across the country. All I could do was get out of the forest and go from there. And really, did it matter if I was near home? I couldn’t go back there, not like this, not with my hair still vibrant and my mind still working, and I didn’t want to go back there anyway. I crouched down as I moved, trying to be unnoticeable - which seemed impossible, like my energy was leaving a lit trail - until I was far enough away that I thought no one would find me. Now what mattered was speed, that I got away before they came looking for me. Breathless, I ran through the trees.

Spoiler! :
My genre is Tragedy, and my element is There can be no dialogue. And stupid me, I switched my genre, so my added element is Every paragraph must start and end with the same word. I'd already written this much when I was given that, so it's kind of stilted. But hopefully it's okay.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 am
View Likes
Quasi says...

ETA: I just realized that you titled this "Part 1." FAIL on my end! I'll leave the review as is, but I did write it thinking this was done.

Hehe, those two elements are weirdly complimentary. I registered the stilted style from the words framing the paragraphs but didn't actually realize the pattern-- I think I would have figured that out, should you have been able to include dialogue. This way maintained the mystery.

Of course, the best part of this piece was that you made the limiting elements work for you. I made a totally arbitrary mental note to compliment you for lines like "Just another I." and "Not until they wanted to dye my beautiful hair. Oh, my." I just thought it they were great stylistic touches! D'oh.

Only missed the dialogue at one point, which was when Magdalena was tied up and listening to the people talk about her and informs the audience that they're saying that they're going to dye her hair. That was awkward and I wanted the actual transcribed conversation. To avoid it, I would definitely suggest altering/cutting the part where her mother enters, because that was the moment when I was confused by the lack of direct interaction between the people in the room and Magdalena. Additionally, I was confused by her saying that their hair was even more unique than hers...I wasn't sure what the implication of that was meant to be. That they, unlike the rest of Lindon, were allowed to be different? That might be putting too much weight on hair as a means of individuation-- after all, most brown and blonde and red hair has different colors in it. The rest of Lindon would have to be bottle-brown for these people to be that distinctive indoors, and if they were then Magdalena would have been dyed a long time ago.

(Geez, I overanalyzed that one into the ground.)

Loved that the dog was named They. Stuff like that makes these kinds of dystopian-vein short stories worth it to me. Brilliant touch, so telling, and it let you do so much stylistically.

I think my main snag with the plot at large was (oh geez, I'm coming back to it again) the hair thing. Something about the way she rhapsodized over how beautiful she thought her hair was made Magdalena annoying to me. I can see it as representative, especially within the confines of a short story when you simply aren't going to have the opportunity to do the slow 1984-esque angst-and-revelation. But I don't want to have to dislike Magdalena in order to understand her arc of increasing desire to be an individual. Maybe she could be less concerned with how beautiful her hair is and more repelled by the idea of becoming uniformly brown haired? Maybe she's worried that, should she get dyed, she won't be able to tell her own face from everyone else's? That's more reasonable (to my twisted mind, at least.)

The pace also got lightning fast towards the end. Capture, threats, plan, escape, closing argument. I personally almost didn't need those closing paragraphs...I didn't need her to escape, even. I like that her last realization is that she wouldn't miss her family and friends because she hadn't loved them, but she didn't need to escape to realize that. I don't want to be so intrusive as to suggest major plot changes without probing, but...I definitely didn't need her to escape. The story was complete to me without that.

Geez, I'm rereading now, and you did such a stellar job with the beginning-and-ending-with-the-same-word thing! I'm so glad I wasn't a cheater who read the spoiler tag first, because it's such an enjoyably intriguing story without knowing the secret behind the technical choices. Really, really cool. I don't know anything about the contest your entering, but if it's based upon using the elements to the story's advantage, you should get a super-high score.

In my opinion, anyway. :)

Oh, I wanted to say something about liking the beginning. I hovered a little, thinking, "Where's the action, dude?" but it didn't matter in the end, because it was interesting and I was following along and you delivered on the action soon enough for balance's sake.

Done rambling. Please, post any questions/ask for clarification on my Wall! Thank you for the read!

Quasi
RachaelElg: ...we should take a trip to Home Depot while you're here

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Hidere.

:D

Sorry for being late and all that jazz... I hope you don't mind. Better late than never though, eh? Okay, so I liked this! I really love the uniqueness of it and the whole originality of the story. The genre Tragedy is one where you can easily fall into the trap of an every day tragedy (car crash or something), but 'cause you're a clever one, you decided to try something a bit different. Yay for that! I think you did a good job overall with your genre and element, and after reading this, I'm pretty glad that I didn't end up making my own entry... xD

This is a review though, so I should probably see if I can find some critiques. My first one may not be a critique, but just a 'Skinsy is an oblivious idiot' comment. Basically, I was a bit unclear about something that happened at the hospital place.

They were colored with pigments so bright, much brighter than my hair, and so unique; each strand of hair had its own shade; each was different from the rest. At first I thought it was them - they were different - but soon my mother walked in, looking like them, and I realized that was wrong; there was nothing different with them. I was the different one. It was I.

I didn't really... err, get that. I'm not sure what you were trying to say. I actually just skimmed over Quasi's review, and I think she may have mentioned something like this too. Maybe I'm not an idiot. Anyway, as I was saying, yeah, I'm not 100% sure on what the meaning was behind this. I know this is part one, so I'm thinking that there may be an explanation in the next part(s), but I can't be sure. After saying how colourful the other guys were, you then go on to say that they weren't different, and that the MC was the different one. At that point, I was like this:

Something else that bothered me a little was the way Magdalena seemed to behave sometimes. It kind of felt like one day, she seemed to be happy enough to go along with the flow, then she suddenly turns all rebellious. Even when her hair turned red, she didn't seem at all rebellious. Yes she, hid it, but that's the point. I mean, she hid it. It's kind of like when her hair was revealed to that group of people, she went from being a girl who did everything she could to be normal and go along with the flow, to some rebel who fought against the authorities, then climbed out of buildings. I don't know, maybe I'm looking into this too much, but it is something that bothered me a little bit. It almost feels like she had a personality change halfway through the story. Like I said though, this may just be me looking into things too much. Feel free to disagree.

The one other thing I want to mention is something to do with your element, as in your additional element. Like Quasi, I didn't cheat and read the bottom spoiler before the actual story. I read the story when you asked me to review it, looked at the spoiler, and now I've just reread it again. So yeah, I've technically read this twice. Anyway. Basically, when i first read this, there were times when at the end of a paragraph, I thought, hmmm... that's a weird way to phrase that, or, is that technically correct. Then me being a sad kid, I decided to try and figure out why you'd phrased some things in certain ways, and I then realised that every paragraph ended with the word it began with. So yeah, I did actually figure out your additional element before I read the spoiler. (I apologise for all of that making no sense whatsoever.)

Here's a few of the examples that made me suspicious:

At first I was horrified... Someone to hate at.

I found it weird that you put an at after the hate.

The building I was in was constructed of bricks... maybe there was something else, something more powerful and unknown and frightening. Something whose name started with a big, capital “The”.

This last sentence just seemed a bit... weird to me. x3

That didn’t stop me from running to the shadows as soon as I touched ground. I fled between trees on the yard until I reached the edge - a row of forest. I entered it to get out of view, but stopped once concealed in all that.

This is the paragraph after the last one actually. Once again, the last sentence didn't sound all that natural.

This wasn't a huge problem or anything, I mean, heck, now way would I have been able to write a story where every paragraph ended and started with the same word. I'm glad my additional element was 'no adverbs' now, hehe. It's just that with this, at times, the ending of paragraphs sounded a little odd because you obviously had to make sure they ended with the same word they started with. I noticed them more nearer the end. That's where I think you were beginning to struggle. Overall though, you really did do an awesome job with your elements.

Aaaaaaand finally! This sin't a critique really, but a suggestion. I'm going to be honest and admit that I forgot what your MC's name was after I'd read, and I then had to go back to read what you'd called her. I then forgot her name again... I don't know what it is right now, in fact. :P Anyway, there is a point in me telling you this.

The reason I can't remember her name is because of how unusual it is. How different. Which is the opposite tot he whole point of this story. At first, I thought, h'okay, she has a weird name but I won't think much of it because everyone else in this place probably have names like that, therefore, It's probably entirely normal to them. Then you went on to say the parents names were Lisa and Clarence (I remembered them easily). Magdalena Cloris isn't, like, outstandingly weird, and I know that the parents would have shared that surname, of course but still... meh. My actual suggestion (the point of all this blabber) is that I think it would be good if instead of using more of an unusual name for your MC, you use one of the most common ones in existence, and make it so that everyone's names in this place are so normal. Like, call everyone Jack, Jo(e), Ryan, Brian, Emma, Anne, Jane e.t.c. The classic, everyday names.

I'm aware that there's a 80% chance that I'm talking a load of rubbish here, but hey, it's me. It's what I do. I just think that if you maybe make it so all the characters have similar, everyday names, it could add to the atmosphere and feeling of this story. You could even make it so there, are literally, like, 20 names that exist in the town (10 for girls, 10 for boys), but that may be stretching it for you.

*Shuts up*

I've blabbered loads, I know, I know, and I am deeply sorry. I hope I haven't made you want to beat me up. I honestly think this is an awesome piece of writing here, and you've done an awesome job with the contest I was too much of a fail to enter, hehe. I definitely think you've got a chance of winning. If not, I'll cry. Please do let me know when you have the next part posted because I'm very interested in reading on to see what happens next.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye