z

Young Writers Society

Year Zero

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm
polinkacreations says...

Humanity of the future!
This is a new era, a brave new world, my friends.
We have everything we have ever wanted - there is no war, there is no crime. There is no sadness, no darkness.There is no evil, there is no death!
This is what our previous generations had hoped for, have worked so hard to achieve. They wanted it so much, but never lived to see it happen.
We are the luckiest people in the Universe, to have our world as it is right now.
Having the best technology, the most luxurious apartments on all planets, most exciting works and everything you can imagine!
Yes, I will repeat that: everything you can imagine.
Look how far we’ve got. Look at how much we’ve left behind, and how much is in our future.
Feel like kings and queens, my friends, and you shall live in peace and happiness for eternity.
We have our minds, we have our Universe, down on her knees, bowing before humanity.
We are the ultimate rulers of the universe, noone is capable of stopping us from doing anything we want!
We have created a utopia, a world of perfection.
We have achieved the ultimate balance, and total control.
We are gods!
Every one of you, is indeed a god, the ruler of everything around you.

So now, hands up for the peace and balance, for freedom and strength!
Hands up for you and me, we have reached the end of all beginnings.
Hands up for Year Zero - the ultimate era of the world!

It’s year zero. To be precise, 1.5 years to the power of 10х30.
Humanity has reached the end of the Universe, has reached Oblivion.
It has learnt how to leap to any corner of it, and control the fourth dimension.
The term ‘undiscovered’ had ceased to exsist, as for now nothing is.
Religion has died out, the supernatural is controllable.
Emotions are nothing but a feeling, and are not valuable.
Nothing is valuable.
There is no ruler, no goverment, no laws.
Thus there is no breaking of laws, but no crime. People do what they want.
Humans have learnt to live for as long as they want, and are pretty much invincible.
There is no life other than the mighty human race.
They are emotionless, cannot feel, but can work out any sum in their heads.
Even ‘life’ is an ancient word.
They aren’t living. Humanity knows all they want, there is no value to them. They have the best technology and supernatural objects, and can create whatever they want.
It is not living, these aren’t people, they aren’t robots.
They are lifeless bodies with no soul, who have achieved everything.
This world is dead. But how can it be dead if there is no living?

And today, for the first time a robot was created.
A little boy with the most vivid imagination, wider and more capable than a human’s.
That is something people have forgotten.
What is imagination?
Why is it needed, if everything you imagine can come true?
We are frozen in time, the ultimate rulers without crowns.
We rule all.
There can be no end of the world, we control the Universe shrinking or expanding. Stars are kept under control, warp holes are used as simple, almost public transport.
100% of everything in the Universe is known to man.
There is no room for expansion, no meaning to life, no meaning, no mystery to anything.
Ever.
But we do rule the world.
We are dead.
Stupid organisms, who have conquered everything they could, and have made themselves gods.

It’s year zero.
I could give up every inch of the Universe’s power to know what happiness is.
What sadness is.
What hatred and anger is.
What is fear.
What it feels like to be in love.
Only these terms I know from the local database. People used to feel, used to fall in love.
I want to know how it feels like. But I cannot feel.

This isn’t life. This isn’t death.
It is oblivion.
Nothingness. Blank space, inside our minds and ourselves.
We can do what we want. But we don’t want anything. We have everything.
I wish there was something to control us.
I wish there was life and death, time and mystery, but we control all those.
Freedom and total control has given us oblivion.
I wish I could say I hate it, but to me that feeling is unknown.
The world is dead. This world is as good as dead.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:36 pm
View Likes
Kittengirl2 says...

Hey Polink, I really liked this! I love your descriptions of what it could be like in the future, and how you started out by making it seem great, then revealing the downside. Brilliant. It conveys an interesting message because lots of people think they hate life the way it is, and have all these great ideas to make it better, but then you compare it to this, and you realize maybe life is pretty good after all. Or if you don't think so, at least it's interesting. I don't really have any criticism for you, it was too awesome for that. :D

Keep writing!
~Kitty
"A kitten is an angel with whiskers."

80 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 pm
View Likes
MUCHO says...

This really captures the thing that I find greatest about life, that a Utopia, what everybody thinks they want, is actually a dystopyia, because there is nothing else left to discover, invent, or change. I am so glad that I won't live to see this day! You capture it real well, but maybe expand it a bit, not too much, because then you wind up like these self indulgent a-holes that you are talking about. I really like how you start all happy and stuff, then it changes.

We need crime, war, poverty, drugs, whatever, to make us strive to be better, as Shakespeare said:

"All the world' a stage, and all the people are merely players..." or something like that.

How could this play be good without any conflict? What would we do with ourselves, study?

You should definitely expand this with more details, and maybe plot, how about an EPIC POEM?
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm
View Likes
ABoyAndHisFlyingYeti says...

I enjoyed this piece because it really explores one of the greatest paradoxes of human existence. this being said, i feel it could use some sort of a plot and that may be a little difficult when conflicts don't exist.There are also a few grammatical errors(for instance I believe no one should be two words, but I may be wrong), but other than that you've got a really good piece here. I enjoyed reading it and I cant wait to read some of the other stuff you've written. (:

80 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:24 am
polinkacreations says...

Hello everybody:)

It's so amazing to see how encouraging you guys are:D
Kittengirl2, my intention was actually to show that we should live today, and that we should enjoy what we have because the future might not be as bright as seemed.
Bolshevik, I love the "EPIC POEM" idea, I might try to do this, I just felt like writing this because the modern idea of the future has been pushed upon us by Hollywood of either alien or robotic invasion, but my vision of the world obviously isn't so, and I just wanted to carry the point across.
ABoyAndHisFlyingYeti, firstly, awesome usernameXD - Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one is two words, thanks for pointing that out. Thanks for your support, and I will be posting new things soon.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Reviews: 4
Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:34 pm
View Likes
zencherry says...

Very cool...this almost captures the emotions I have towards our society today. We could have more! But most of us walk around numb and ignorant to amazing experiences and rich, cultural lives. We turn our backs on life...we wake up in the morning, and we dont want to live our life. We dont want to go to work...we dont want to go to school...everyone says this is normal, but I dont want it to be. I want life to happy and amazing and fantastic...if only someone could step up and change our society for good.
Happiness is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare