z

Young Writers Society

Eaglefeather's Path (Chapter Two)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm
Bugwhisker says...

(Hello again!

Here's Chapter Two, finally. :) The main point of Chapter Two was to somewhat introduce another main character, a main plot line, and a smaller plot line. I hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: I do not own Warriors. It is copyrighted to HarperCollins and Erin Hunter.)

Chapter Two

The gorse barrier rustled as Eaglefeather returned to camp, followed by Startail and Rabbitdash. It had been two sunrises since the gathering, and every cat in GorseClan had been a bit wary lately. Eaglefeather remembered when they had come back to camp that day. One could’ve drowned in the tense air. After Snowstar had announced the news, he had ordered more patrols near the SwiftClan border. Eaglefeather saw no point in this, when the SwiftClan warriors weren’t a threat.

Dropping his freshly caught rabbit on the top of the fresh-kill pile, the young tom turned to Startail. “If I walk anymore today, my paws are going to fall off!”

“I know how you feel,” Startail mumbled, letting her thrush fall to her paws with a thump. “But there’s no sense in arguing.”

“I think Snowstar’s lost his mind.” Rabbitdash growled. “It’s the middle of leaf-fall and we’re each doing double patrols!”

“And SwiftClan haven’t crossed our borders, now have they?” Eaglefeather jumped at the sound of Whitefoot’s voice. The orange she-cat was approaching them. “No, they haven’t. If you ask me, I say his plan is a good one.”

“Who asked you?” Rabbitdash raised an eyebrow.

“Nobody.” Whitefoot countered. “But no cat said I couldn’t speak.”

Eaglefeather rolled his eyes. The two always argued like this. It was hard to believe that they weren’t littermates. Shaking his head, he began to wash his face. His coat had been torn earlier that morning while hunting near the bramble patch. Suddenly, a growl caught his attention, followed by a loud yowl. He paused in mid-lick, glancing up. His eyes widened. What in StarClan’s name!?

This wasn’t GorseClan’s camp! He was in a forest, with tall trees growing on either side of him. He could barely see the sky, and what he could see of it was dark with rain clouds. The air smelled heavy with moisture, as if a storm was coming. But Eaglefeather wasn’t worried about that. He could smell cats… with a strange scent.

Curious now, he rose to his paws, taking a few cautious steps forward. The ground was as cold as ice, and it made him shiver as his pads touched it. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a flash of a silver pelt. He turned towards it, expecting it to be an enemy, pelt bristled.

“Who’s there?” He demanded, trying to keep himself from letting out a hiss. But there was no answer. He paused for a moment, whiskers twitching.

“Eaglefeather!” He heard a cat call his name. Eaglefeather spun around, glancing around wildly. “Eaglefeather!

Eaglefeather was soon looking into the eyes of Startail. He leaned back in surprise.

“Finally!” Startail sounded annoyed. Her head tilted. “Moontail wants you to go on a border patrol with Jaystripe, Littlenose, and Leafpaw.”

Eaglefeather blinked. “Oh…” He said after a few heartbeats. “O-okay… I’ll see you later then…” He got to his paws, still thinking over what had just happened. He could see Jaystripe and the others waiting by the camp entrance, and he trotted over in their direction.

It’s probably nothing… Eaglefeather thought as he pushed his way out through the gorse after the rest of the patrol.

---------------------

“Keep up, Eaglefeather!” Leafpaw called over her shoulder, blue eyes glinting in the sunlight that flooded the forest path. “A kit could walk faster than you!”

Eaglefeather growled. He wanted to cuff the apprentice around the ear. That would teach her to talk to a warrior like that. But Jaystripe beat him to it.

“Leafpaw!” Jaystripe snapped. “That is no way to talk to a warrior! Even if he is slower than a kit,” She added, raising an eyebrow.

“Sorry Jaystripe…” Leafpaw apologized, though she snuck a glare at Eaglefeather before speeding off after her mentor, who had gone ahead to scout out the border.

Jaystripe slowed her pace, falling back to speak to Eaglefeather. “Is something wrong? You’ve been a bit… distracted since we left camp.”

Is it that obvious? Eaglefeather wondered, looking at the older she-cat with pleading eyes. He didn’t want to talk about the vision; he had decided to call it that. He was still confused as to what he had seen anyway. Luckily, the senior warrior didn’t ask him more questions. She only shook her head slightly, picking up her pace again. Eaglefeather followed, tail lashing.

When they reached the border, Eaglefeather’s nose wrinkled at the disgusting smell of SwiftClan scent. He would never get used to it. While Littlenose and Leafpaw went to renew the scent markers, he and Jaystripe headed for the SunClan border.

“Why are we splitting up?” Eaglefeather asked, head tilted.

“Because I want to check something, and I can’t here.” Jaystripe replied simply, not even glancing at him.

As they padded through the forest, Jaystripe only seemed to be more worried. Eaglefeather kept glancing over his shoulder, expecting to see a cat or a fox jump out of the undergrowth. But this didn’t happen. Besides… if there were a creature following them, the older warrior would have told him. Suddenly, Jaystripe bolted away from him, making him jump back with his tail straight up in the air. Blinking, he followed, paws hitting the ground faster and faster.

“Wait up!” Eaglefeather called, though he knew there was no chance. He soon had picked up on what Jaystripe was following. Blood…

(Constructive criticism and comments would be appreciated. :wink:)

Reviews: 0
Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 pm
Allessandre says...

OMG OMG OMG write. more. NOW. Suspencr is killing me Aug I wish my warriors story was this good!
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

6 Reviews

Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 am
Bugwhisker says...

Thanks, Allessandre. :) (Side note: Wow, another fan?)

Sorry for the short post. It's close to my bedtime, and I'm tired. :lol:

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat May 22, 2010 9:55 pm
View Likes
Junglelover says...

Hello Bugwhisker,
Your doing well with keeping the same words as Erin Hunter uses.

“Who asked you?” Rabbitdash raised an eyebrow.
I would put something like: said Rabbitdash slitting his/her eyes. Or opening his/her eyes
with amusement, depending on the mood he/she is in.

Can't read rest now.
Charlie Bucket: You can eat the grass?
Willy Wonka: Of course you can! Everything in this room is eatable, even *I'm* eatable! But that is called "cannibalism," my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

6 Reviews

Sun May 30, 2010 6:52 pm
Bugwhisker says...

Thank you for the review, Junglelover. :)

I try to stick as much to the original words as I can, yet keep my own storyline going. I've been trying to break the habit of doing things like in the example you quoted. It seems to be my style of writing though. :lol: And Rabbitdash is a tom, or a male cat.

~~Bugwhisker

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer