z

Young Writers Society

In Love With The Enemy.Chapter 1.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm
SharonPie01 says...

I dropped the body on the ground with a thud.The man I just drank from rolled on and into the river. I didn't look back but climbed up on the tallest building, away from the scent of blood. I don't want to be the one hurt tonight by Riley, our clan leader. It isn't easy being in Riley's clan, but anybody would rather to stay, instead of risk of being caught by the mortals. All I know about Riley, is that he didn't create us for nothing. There is something big coming as he always says.
I looked down at the other vampire's fighting and killing each other for blood. Now, as far as I know, the one who killed is going to get in trouble with Riley. After a while we all got enough blood and went back to our hiding. When I pushed the door open everybody turned our direction, even Riley. He was angry. Or rather furious than angry? He was by me in a split of a second, holding me tightly by the neck. I was hanging in mid air trying hard not to shiver in fear and failing awfully.
"Did you have to bleedin' kill Diego?!" he yelled, swivelling me and shaking me from side to side. I breathed and shook my head quickly. "What?!" Riley demanded as he banged me on the wall. It wasn't too rough, like he always does to other people, but still, it hurt. I let out a small yelp before screaming in fright,"No! It wasn't me! I swear, Riley it wasn't me who killed Diego! But I did see it! I had no lighter I swear, I gave it to Marco to burn of the rest of the bodies! Riley I swear!" Riley let go of me, dropping me to the ground. I shot up and calmed myself down.
"Who was it that killed Diego?" Riley asked in a calm voice but people ignored him and kept talking. He tried again, this time yelling like a fierceful lion,"Who killed Diego!!!" Everybody looked at him in silence. There came a gasp from a corner. A gasp so soft only I could hear it. There was a girl in the corner, a book in her hand. Her long wavy hair looked so delicate as she covered her mouth with her free pearl white hand. There was pain in her eyes. I looked at Marco, knowing it was him who killed Diego and yelled out ,"It was Marco!" Riley nodded to me, pleased.
Marco then attempted to rip me up into pieces, but before he could tip me he was dragged back by Riley and had his leg ripped off. Marco screamed in agony, struggling with the pain. Riley walking up to me had a smile on his lips. He whispered,"Thank you, Opel." and walked off. I turned to look at the girl, who was watching Marco screaming and groaning in pain. I walked up to her and sat beside her on the floor.
"This Diego guy...You know him?" I asked. She turned to me and nodded. "I'm Opel. What's your name?" I asked again,my arm stretched out for her to shake it.
"Listen, I know how you feel. It's really hard to trust anyone here but you can trust me. I know what you are going through," I said with the warmest voice.
"Bree, " the girl replied shortly. She blinked and repeated herself, "My name is Bree Tanner."
"Nice to meet you. How long are you a vampire?"
"Three months. How about you?"
"Eight. I never saw you before. Are you always here?"
"Yes. Best way to stay out of trouble!" we both laughed at that comment. We talked on,into the morning. Until Riley came in the door with a scared look on his face. He yelled for everyone to get up and walked around for a bit breathing heavily. Then he stopped in the middle of the big circle we formed and begun with a stern voice.
"Listen all of you. There is a war coming and we are setting off today. Many of you will die and my advice is; try not to let the Cullens or the dogs kill you. Now let's go. We have a journey to complete," Riley finished with a warning growl at Marco who was still on the ground from yesterday. I looked at Bree who was looking really confused. Frightened, with shaky hands, I grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Then I forced a confident tone, "There are more of us than them. We have more chance of winning. Don't be scared. It didn't seem to calm her down much. Bree just swallowed and nodded as I helped her up.
All of us followed Riley, in silence, none of us dared to say a word as we knew how stressed Riley was. From time to time I glanced at Bree and she glanced at me. I sometimes smiled and sometimes blinked to her even though I was scared as well. I'm not a confident person. The most I fear of is not loosing my life, but of being such a chicken and run away from everyone, let them die. I still remember how it affected my human life.
I remember that my dad left my mom when I was six. It really hurt me and my mom.Mom burned every picture with dad on it, and put it in the bin. When I was sixteen, I had my first love. His name was Justin, he turned my world upside down. It was like he only existed. I loved him to death and would give anything for him. But one day, my mom invited him for supper. I helped her prepare everything. One big mistake I did was put red wine as a drink beside each pearl white plate.
It was twenty to eight and he was late forty minutes. Me and my mom tried calling him, his parents, his sister with no particular result. We were about to call police when he arrived, all dressed up, in a white suit. He looked like a prince, all he was missing was a charming white horse. Relived, we sat at the dinning table and begun to consume the wonderful meal my mom prepared. Once Justin started on the wine, he didn't stop. He asked for more and more until he got completely drunk and got out of control. When my mom refused to pour more wine into his cup, he slapped my mom across the face.
I reached for the phone to call the police, but he was there before me smacking the phone into my face.Terrified I kicked his guts and ran out the door, leaving him with my mom. I ran as fast as I could. Shocked by the dead end I turned and was about to run when I saw a blond man looking at me with a smile. That blond guy was Riley. "Oh! Please help me! My boyfriend got drunk and I ran away but my mom is still there! Please!" I screamed grabbing his shirt hysterically.
He just grabbed my head. I didn't know what to think. Rapidly he pushed my head back and bit into my veins. The pain was unbearable. I'm sure I will never forget it. I was disturbed by Riley."Wait. Don't go any further. Get ready to fight," Riley told us. Out of a sudden the Cullens came out looking scary. After them werewolves. Riley moved back. We weren't meant to know about this. "Fight. I'm going to stop the human. Go!" Riley yelled running off as we ran the opposite direction towards the enemy. A black headed girl stopped me, grabbing my head.
Swiftly I tripped her up on the ground. Not letting go of my head,the girl managed to crush my skull slightly. I was about to step on her head when I stopped to think. They didn't do anything to me. How could I kill a stranger? Why am I supposed to kill a stranger? I looked down at the girl, she was frightened for her life. Slowly I took my leg away from her face and put it down on the ground. I helped her up, then I backed away a metre or two. The girl looked at me for a while,then running off to kill another newborn.
Without thinking, I ran into the bushes to hide. I sat down and looked around at the bloodbath. Should I go join Riley's side or the Cullens side? Or should I back away?
And everytime I try to fly, I fall
Without my wings, I feel so small
I guess I need you, baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you, baby
Everytime-Britney Spears

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:41 pm
retrodisco666 says...

If I'm correct in guessing what this is based on, then it's good. It is based on The twilight saga I think.

As far as vampire stories go, this could go various ways, which is what a good fantasy story needs.

I am not a fan of FanFic or twilight, but you have done quite well here.

If this was me, I would try and right a vampire story based on what you can think of, because it will be just as good.

Tell me if I am wrong about anything, and I will correct the review.

Keep writing :D

PM for anything.

~Retro Disco666
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

Random avatar

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 pm
SharonPie01 says...

retrodisco666 wrote:If I'm correct in guessing what this is based on, then it's good. It is based on The twilight saga I think.

As far as vampire stories go, this could go various ways, which is what a good fantasy story needs.

I am not a fan of FanFic or twilight, but you have done quite well here.

If this was me, I would try and right a vampire story based on what you can think of, because it will be just as good.

Tell me if I am wrong about anything, and I will correct the review.

Keep writing :D

PM for anything.

~Retro Disco666
You're completly right. I'm not a twi-hard fan but I love FanFic stories. What I'm trying to do here is like write about what is going on behind the Saga Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I hoped it would draw attantion. Anyway, what do you mean by right a vampire story based on what you think of?It confuses me there. :)
I guess I need you, baby
I guess I need you, baby
Everytime-Britney Spears

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 pm
ziggiefred says...

Hello there :)
I will just outline a few problem areas

I dropped the body on the ground with a thud.

I have a problem with this sentence. The body made the thud right?

It isn't easy being in Riley's clan, but anybody would rather to stay,

So, this has potential. However, it's very disappointing for a first chapter. There is no suspense first of all; this is what I would expect to find when the story has long started. You did not introduce your characters all that well and you did very little storytelling, very little use of imagery. These are some of the elements needed for the wow factor so that I can continue reading. Besides, this is a fantasy story, and very hard to please considering the fact that it's about vampires. But keep at it, just consider revising the first chapter that's all ;)

Keep writing.
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

Random avatar

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:23 am
SharonPie01 says...

Thanks for advice ziggyfred I will keep this in mind+
I guess I need you, baby
I guess I need you, baby
Everytime-Britney Spears

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:44 pm
View Likes
thegirlandthepen says...

Hey there, my name is Eddie and I'm going to take a shot at reviewing this for you today. :) I'm so pleased I've come across another Twilight FanFiction, I'm an avid reader and writer and there seems to be a shortage on YWS :(

Red - Mistakes
Green - Corrections
Purple - Bits I Liked
Pink - Suggestions

SharonPie01 wrote:I dropped the body on the ground with a thud.The man I just drank from rolled on and into the river. I didn't look back but climbed up on the tallest building, away from the scent of blood. I don't/didn't want to be the one hurt tonight by Riley, our clan leader. It isn't easy being in Riley's clan, but anybody would rather to stay, instead of risk of being caught by the mortals.

Nice action packed opening sequence, however the part I just underlined doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe 'It isn't easy being in Riley's clan, but everybody would rather stay a part of it than risk being caught by the mortals.'
All I know about Riley, is that he didn't create us for nothing. There is something big coming as he always says.
I looked down at the other vampire's/vampires' fighting and killing each other for blood. (Whose blood? Human blood or each others?) Now, as far as I know, the one who killed is going to get in trouble with Riley.

When you started this sentence with 'Now, as far as I know...' I was expecting a big long description or explanation, instead it ended faster than it started. I would suggest to elongate this section. You could maybe write a little bit about the newborns' uncertainty to just exactly why they had been created.

After a while we all got enough blood and went back to our hiding.

Simple sentence poorly written, try re-working this. 'When our thirsts were fully satisfied...' etc.
When I pushed the door open everybody turned our direction, even Riley. He was angry. Or rather furious than angry? (This reads awkward, try re-wording it.) He was by/beside me in a split of a second, holding me tightly by the neck. I was hanging in mid air trying hard not to shiver/shake in fear and failing awfully.
"Did you have to bleedin' kill Diego?!" he yelled,

I don't mean to be picky, but I'm not entirely sure 'bleedin' is the kind of slang Riley would use. Take into account that firstly; he's American. Secondly; he's a Vampire, don't you think 'bleedin' is kind of ironic? When writing FanFiction its crucial that you retain the characters' voices, which I know is near impossible seeing as everyone's writing style is different. It's hard but fans of The Twilight Saga will tell you the same, if he isn't believable as a character, people probably won't read or review it.
swivelling me and shaking me from side to side. I breathed and shook my head quickly. (New line to indicate speech here) "What?!" Riley demanded as he banged me on the wall. It wasn't too rough, like he always does to other people, but still, it hurt. I let out a small yelp before screaming in fright,space"No! It wasn't me! I swear, Riley it wasn't me who killed Diego! But I did see it! I had no lighter I swear, I gave it to Marco to burn of the rest of the bodies! Riley I swear!" (Abundance, try re-phrasing.) Riley let go of me, dropping me to the ground. I shot up and calmed myself down.
"Who was it that killed Diego?" (The grammar is a little off here.) Riley asked in a calm voice but people ignored him and kept talking. (I can't help but think people would not ignore Riley ever, just a thought.) He tried again, this time yelling like a fierceful lion,"Who killed Diego!!!" Everybody looked at him in silence. There came a gasp from a corner. A gasp so soft only I could hear it. There was a girl in the corner, a book in her hand. Her long wavy hair looked so delicatecomma as (I would remove this.) she covered her mouth with her free pearlescent white hand. There was pain in her eyes. I looked at Marco, knowing it was him who killed Diego and yelled out ,"It was Marco!" Riley nodded to me, he was/seemed pleased.
Marco then attempted to rip me up into pieces, but before he could tip (?) me he was dragged back by Riley and had his leg ripped off. Marco screamed in agony, struggling with the pain. Riley walking up to me had a smile on his lips. He whispered delicately in my ear,"Thank you, Opel." and walked off, I shivered at the sudden warmness he had just showed me. I turned to look at the girl, who was watching Marco screaming and groaning in pain. I walked up to her and sat beside her on the floor.
"This Diego guy...You know him?" I asked. She turned to me and nodded. "I'm Opel. What's your name?" I asked again,space my arm stretched out for her to shake it.
(You can put this sentence in the same section as it is the same character speaking.) "Listen, I know how you feel. It's really hard to trust anyone here but you can trust me. I know what you are going through," I said with the warmest voice.
"Bree,(Space not needed here.)" the girl replied shortly. She blinked and repeated herself, "My name is Bree Tanner."
"Nice to meet you. How long are you/have you been a vampire?"
"Three months. How about you?"
"Eight. I never saw you before. Are you always here?"
"Yes. Best way to stay out of trouble!" we both laughed at that comment. We talked on, space into the morning. Until Riley came in/through the door with a scared look on his face. He yelled for everyone to get up and walked around for a bit breathing heavily. Then he stopped in the middle of the big circle we formed and begun with a stern voice.
"Listen all of you. There is a war coming and we are setting off today. Many of you will die and my advice is; try not to let the Cullens or the dogs kill you. Now let's go. We have a journey to complete," Riley finished with a warning growl at Marco who was still on the ground from yesterday.

Okay, that has got to be one of the most pathetic pep talks I have ever heard. I don't mean to be rude, but I would re-consider this. Think about the fight that is about to happen in the clearing, think about how carefully and meticulously Victoria and Riley have been planning this show down. Surely the newborns need a little more than that. Maybe Victoria finally makes an appearance and gives them a grilling of her own? Just a suggestion.
I looked at Bree who was looking really confused. Frightened, with shaky hands, I grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Then I forced a confident tone, "There are more of us than them. We have more chance of winning. Don't be scared. It didn't seem to calm her down much. Bree just swallowed and nodded as I helped her up.
All of us followed Riley, in silence, none of us dared to say a word as we knew how stressed Riley was. From time to time I glanced at Bree and she glanced at me. I sometimes smiled and sometimes blinked to her even though I was scared as well. I'm not a confident person. The most I fear of is not loosing/losing my life, but of being such a chicken and running away from everyone, letting them die. I still remember how it affected my human life.

Love how you added in a flashback to her human life, really gives you a feel for the character.
I remember that my dad left my mom when I was six. It really hurt me and my mom. space Mom burned every picture with dad on it, and put it in the bin. (I'd suggest bulking this up a bit, go into a bit more detail of how your MC and her mother felt when her Dad left.) When I was sixteen, I had my first love. His name was Justin, he turned my world upside down. It was like he only existed. I loved him to death and would give anything for him. But one day, my mom invited him for supper. I helped her prepare everything. One big mistake I did was put red wine as a drink beside each pearly white plate.

I can't help but think what Mother would let her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend drink at 16, not only that but red wine. Some alcopops I would have expected, I know parents do give alcohol to younger children nowadays, it just doesn't seem very realistic, just a thought. Perhaps Justin snuck the alcohol in anyway as he was so nervous about meeting her parents?

It was twenty to eight and he was late forty minutes/forty minutes late. Me and my mom tried calling him, his parents, his sister with no particular result. We were about to call police when he arrived, all dressed up, in a white suit. He looked like a prince, all he was missing was a charming white horse. Relived/Relieved, we sat at the dinning table and begun/began to consume the wonderful meal my mom prepared. Once Justin started on the wine, he didn't stop. He asked for more and more until he got completely drunk and got out of control. When my mom refused to pour more wine into his cup, he slapped my mom across the face.
I reached for the phone to call the police, but he was there before me smacking the phone into my face. (Is this possible?)Terrifiedcomma I kicked his guts/him in the stomach and ran out the door, leaving him with my mom. (How did this make your MC feel? Write it down.) I ran as fast as I could. Shocked by the dead end I turned and was about to run when I saw a blond man looking at me with a smile. That blond guy was Riley. "Oh! Please help me! My boyfriend got drunk and I ran away but my mom is still there! Please!" I screamed grabbing his shirt hysterically.
He just grabbed my head. I didn't know what to think. Rapidly he pushed my head back and bit into my veins. The pain was unbearable. I'm sure I will never forget it. I was disturbed by Riley/My thoughts were distubed by Riley. (New line.) "Wait. Don't go any further. Get ready to fight," Riley told us. Out/All of a sudden the Cullens came out looking scary. After them werewolves.

Not only is this a poorly structured sentence, its also a huge anti-climax. To twenty or so newborns, six vampires with golden eyes that had never seen before and a huge pack of wolves must seem utterly terrifying. Describe in detail every thought and emotion running through your MC's head, there is no build up, so the appearance of the Cullens' and the wolves is neither threatening or shocking.
Riley moved back. We weren't meant to know about this. "Fight. I'm going to stop the human. Go!" Riley yelled running off as we ran the opposite direction towards the enemy. A black headed (Headed? Do you mean haired? As far as I know none of the female Cullens' have black hair...) girl stopped me, grabbing my head.
Swiftly I tripped her up on the ground. Not letting go of my head, space the girl/she managed to crush my skull slightly. I was about to step on her head when I stopped to think. They didn't do anything to me. How could I kill a stranger? Why am I supposed to kill a stranger? I looked down at the girl, she was frightened for her life. Slowly I took my leg away from her face and put it down on the ground. I helped her up, then I backed away a metre or two. The girl looked at me for a while, space then running off/ran off to kill another newborn.
Without thinking, I ran into the bushes to hide. I sat down (Someone would find her, this doesn't make sense.) and looked around at the bloodbath. Should I go join Riley's side or the Cullens side? Or should I back away?

This is a promising start, although it needs a lot of work and looking over. It's definitely worth carrying on, I love the idea of a newborn thinking mid-battle about why she is doing this, it is a strong idea it just needs a little something extra. You need to work on your sentences and structure, you need to think about the validity and the correctness of your writing. This piece needs to match what happens in Eclipse pretty closely, unless you are changing the plot then of course, you are free to do as you please. But I would suggest possibly watching this part of the movie as of course the battle isn't exactly described in the books. I hope you don't think I was being mean in my nitpicks, because believe me I'm not. I enjoyed this I just have a habit of picking out everything that I don't like, or I'm unsure of etc. I will always give you my honest opinion in the hope that it improves you and your writing. Also your character wasn't very definite, I couldn't sympathize with her because I knew very little about her, except from the flashback. Think about adding in subtle hints and gestures to get that across.

Good luck!

xo
"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut." - Stephen King.

EDDiE. :]

Want an honest review?
topic67916.html

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 pm
chetanbhasin says...

As "thegirlandthepen" has already described almost everything I would not go in whole details. But there is one thing that I always notice in your writings. See, when you put a comma(,) or a full stop(.) you have to leave a space after that. Whenever you write something you don't leave the space after comma and the full stop.
I am not good at Fan Fiction either but one thing is sure, that you've done it very well. But when writing your stories there is one thing that I would say that you should keep in mind. Don't always use vampires, these plots are getting crowded and gradually(which I don't think will take much time) people will stop taking interest in them.

There are some other things about your YWS profile but that I will tell you personally instead.
I would be glad if you review my work, How difficult life could be

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor