z

Young Writers Society

Chapter Twelve: NaNo

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Soulkana says...

Chapter 12
Takeshi turns his attention back to the children as Amya enters the hallway. Glancing over at her suspiciously he hoped that whatever her father had needed to discuss with her wasn't too harmful to her. Pushing up one of his sleeves to stare, reminiscently, at the scar before Yuuki's voice pulls him out.

"Father, can we move on? The night is starting to fall." Yuuki is holding tightly to Aryiana's hand as the distraught teen slowly breathes in and out, forcing her sobs to cool into a few sniffles.

Glancing at the others he could tell that they wanted to move on as well despite the drama having taken place less than ten minutes ago. With a slight sigh he motions them to follow as he explains where they were heading.

"We are going to the evaluation room where we will be able to sort you by class." He leads them to a room near the entrance hall and carefully inscribes a rapid runes pattern upon the door as it swings open after the last rune is placed.

Stepping inside the children could only stare with annoyance at the rather bare room. The only noticeable features being the table and the dish and parchment on top of the old table.

"Are we suppose to sit at that table?" Nova grumbles as she glares at it. It looks like any moment it could come falling apart which thoroughly deters her from so much as getting near such a dangerous thing.

"You are too dramatic, Nova." Evelyn chirps as she willingly sits down upon the table. "Do you think they would keep something nearly falling apart just for the sake of a piece of parchment." She drawls out somewhat annoyed before pulling Yuuki to sit beside her.

The others wait patiently for Nova to hesitantly cross the room and sit upon the table with clear hesitance. After everyone had taken a seat upon the table Takeshi and Anastasia move to the head of it to sit before Aticulis enters, eyes smoldering.

"Takeshi Darkcasta! What in Janena's hell were you thinking by allowing THEM here!" Aticulis shouts as he takes a threatening step closer to the Phantom who raises an eyebrow in question.

"Allow whom, my dear friend?" Takeshi wonders despite having a faint idea just who it was.

"You let the Eyptaia children within these halls! Have you gone mad!!" Aticulis grows as he leans forward to glare at his friend, trembling slightly in his rage.

"Now, now, Aticulis you should give them a chance. Perhaps they will not repeat their parents mistakes." Takeshi offhandedly dismisses the concern while ordering rather sharply, "If you are so worried, Aticulis, then keep an eye on them. I, however, want them to be given a chance to prove that they just might not be like them."

Huffing uncharacteristically, Aticulis nods before sitting down at the end while motioning for Takeshi to continue with the following scenario.

"Now then I need each of you to prick you finger and allow one or two drops of blood to drip into the dish. This will draw up which inheritance you follow but also your schedule and which dorm you will be placed within." Takeshi explains while handing the copper bowl to the nearest teen which happens to be Rayan.

Rayan glances nervously at Aryiana who gives him an encouraging smile. Worries now sedated, he takes the small pin and with a slight wince pricks his finger and allows the required blood to drip before applying pressure. As the blood hits the bowl the parchment begins to write in a dark red type ink. Realizing that the writing had come from the blood, Rayan could only stare in surprise as he reads the parchment carefully.

Waving his hand, Aticulis makes a copy of the parchment and hands it over while Takeshi wipes the parchment clean. Passing it onto Miko, Rayan continues to read his with fascination.

Miko copies the process and soon within the next ten minutes all nine teens have finished with their own respective parchment before Takeshi calmly states, "Later we will go into town in order to get you your uniforms and any supplies you will need for the upcoming year. For now you may go find a room to make your own during the next ten years you will be learning here."

As they make their ways to several rooms, Yuuki and Miko quickly find a room near the back of the hallway as far from the entrance as possible. Shouldering Yori, Yuuki asks, "What dorm did you get placed in, Miko?"

Smiling up at her sister she replies, "I got placed in the Triple Moon dorm and you, sis?"

"The same, " Yuuki shortly replies as she opens the door to find a bare room with only a few desks, bookcases, and beds. Raising an eyebrow, she grins at the task they were to do. "Well it seems we will be needing to change our room to our desire, Miko."

Giggling, Miko replies, "It'll be fun."

With those words said they slowly begin to divide the room up, laughing and joking as they squabble over such childish things before beginning to inscribe runes upon the walls, objects and floor in order to change them.

While the sisters make their own rooms the others split off into pairs. Rayan and Jermani head off to the boy's section of the Triple moon while Aryiana and Evelyn follow the two siblings to a room across from theirs. However, Amya glances down at the dorm name upon hers and lets out a small chuckle. Of course the hollow dorm would fit her better. Without so much as a worry about what the others would say, she heads off to her own dorm determined to make sure that no one would enter what would be her room.

"Yuuki, what's the rune to change the bookcase?" Miko questions as she watches with slight awe and envy at which her older sister could easily change her side without so much as pausing to remember which rune would be best.

Glancing up from the rune she is inscribing upon the floor, Yuuki walks over to her sister. With a light smile she takes hold of Miko's hand carefully and moves her hand in the motion she had previously used to change her own bookcase. As she let go she adds to her demonstration, "You will need to think of what you want it to become in order to change it."

Nodding in thanks, Miko begins adding to her runes as Yuuki gently traces a phrase upon the wall with a beaming smile. Pulling back to inspect her use of the runic language she carefully wishes for her ancestor, Raven, portrait to be unsealed from within the mark in which she had hidden it to keep her safe.

As she places the portrait just in front of her bed, Raven remarks, "I'm glad you've made it to Reya, child. And is that you, Aydan?" She questions the smaller girl with amusement.

"We go by different names now, ma'am. My name is Miko and sis is Yuuki." Miko explains, while moving back to contrast the two sides and realizes somewhat surprised that they had very similar tastes in color and art.

"The room looks beautiful." A voice from the doorway pulls the two from their scrutinizing of the room.

Turning around, the two spot Takeshi leaning against the open doorway with amused eyes. Opening her mouth, Yuuki manages to squeak out in shock, "Dad, what are you doing?"

Meanwhile Evelyn and Aryiana calmly finish their own room having agreed almost at once for it to be a soft blue and silver. As they place several books from their bags upon their own respective bookcases, Aryiana chirps, "So what do you think of the Princess, Evelyn?" Her voice had a slightly dangerous edge to it as she glances at the other girl rather coldly.

Bristling at the girl's obvious disregard for her honor, Evelyn hisses, "I will do whatever it takes to protect her. She is the only one I can trust to bring an end to this feud between Humans, Levelaks and Ancients. She will be strong and with such a kind heart...we must protect that kindness. There is hardly anyone in history to have such a kind heart with such power."

Her eyes turn to a distant gaze as she murmurs almost sadly, "She has such a damaged aura but still remains kind. A treasure indeed is the Princess. And you, Aryiana? What do you want in protecting her?"

"I merely wish to serve her as faithfully as I can. After all, there's a reason why I left home despite leaving my medications behind." Aryiana stiffly retorts while the two glare slightly at one another before Evelyn asks almost worriedly.

"If you left your medications at home then won't you get sick?"

Setting down on her bed Aryiana lets out a soft sigh, "Indeed I will but if it means I can become strong to protect Yuuki and her dream of peace then I will not mind."

"But what's wrong? Why do you need those medicines?" Evelyn presses on eyes softening to look upon the other teen with concern at Aryiana's pale face.

"It is nothing. I'll just have to ask my parents to send them to me." Aryiana lies while closing her eyes wearily.

Evelyn bites back the stinging remark at the tip of her tongue in order for Aryiana to slip into a fretful sleep. Watching the girl breathe in and out raggedly she knew that something had to be done. She is hiding something and it would be important. With that in mind Evelyn slips out the door to find her grandmother, Anastasia, praying that whatever was wrong would not be serious.

"I don't understand why you seem to understand Yuuki so well." Jermani admits while placing the last of his books upon his shelf to turn and stare at Rayan who lets out a heavy sigh.

"I know what she's gone through. That is all I will say. And how come you know Takeshi? He never spoke of you to us." Rayan interrupts as Jermani moves to join him in the center of the floor.

"My father and him were almost like brothers. They were always in contact and when he started getting sick, Takeshi would come over once a week to bring food to stock the empty shelves since my mother abandoned us when I was born. After he died, I had been sent to live with a human family who serve Lord Redmoon's idealism. I defied them as much as I could." Jermani smirks as Rayan grins knowingly.

Patting Jermani on the back with a smile, Rayan smiles that, for the first time since his mother's death, reaches his eyes. "You did good, man. You made it here."

The two begin to discuss various past events as they wait patiently to be taken to the town for the supplies they would need. While they talked, Raven sets her eyes upon her ancestor with a chuckle.

"So, it seems we meet again, Grandfather." Raven muses lightly as Takeshi enters the room.

"So it would appear." Takeshi smiles as Yuuki leans against the footboard of her bed in order to watch the two with curiosity at just where the following conversation would lead to.

"I thank you for taking care of my darling daughter figure." Raven strokes her foxia that dances around her causing both Yuuki and Miko to laugh at his antics.

Takeshi nods as Raven watches the two sisters, "You both are so similar. It's wonderful to hear you laugh again, my children." Raven carefully traces a complex rune mark upon the the room while Takeshi's eyes widen with surprise.

"Are you sure you want to expand such magical energy on that, granddaughter?" He questions his voice quiet as Raven simply waves off his concern to finish it with a bright flare of light bathing the enter room.

Yuuki's eyes narrow as she recognizes several runes within the complexity before asking, "Is that a protection ward, mama?" Her eyes dance with thirst for knowledge as she takes in the beautiful runes around the various empty spots with a giant rune circle upon the floor, similar to the one in the ancient library in the Redmoon Manor. Instead of glowing gray, though, it glows with a beautiful amethyst and red as it dims and flares alive in an eternal dance, one that only stops when the magic holding it up would collapse.

"Yes, my child it is. It will keep anyone who tries to hurt you physically or by magical means to fail. The only problem it doesn't work on runes." Raven sighs as she notices with a hint of rage of the runes etched within her surrogate daughter's soul and body.

"That's okay." Yuuki whispers as Miko clutches her hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry, Yuuki-nee! Anastasia will find a way to break it no matter what! Just you wait!" Miko firmly states while Yuuki nods, face brightening at her sister's heart felt words strengthen her resolve.

"You are right, Miko-imouto." Yuuki smiles before Takeshi motions for them to follow as he walks into the hallway.

"It is time for us to go get your guys' uniforms. Wait from me beside the doors while I go get the others." He orders, fixing them with a fierce glare.

"Yes, sir." They chorus with respect before moving towards the doorway leading to the entrance hall's corridor.

Takeshi watches them leave with a slight sigh before rapping softly upon Aryiana's and Evelyn's door to hear a muffled "Come in." float through the oak door. Opening it he spots Aryiana resting in bed with Anastasia stroking her hair, a motherly concern decorating her face.

"Oh, Takeshi I'm glad you have arrived. Can you reach a healer and get some medicines for Aryiana while you are out, please?" Her eyes bore into his with a desperate gaze that causes him to nod without even so much as a protest.

"Of course. What medicines does she need and how much?" He asks as she pulls out a pad of paper to hand over to him.

Raising an eyebrow he glances down and felt his body grow cold. Upon the paper were three medicines. Not only were they expensive but they were deadly if they were taken wrong. But from the diagnosis upon the top, they were the only treatment.

'What is Erythq Redya?' He wonders slightly, not knowing the disease, concluding that it was most likely rare, furthermore probably most healers wouldn't know of it. "Count on you to memorize rare diseases, Anasta." He teases warmly as he gently wipes a tear from Aryiana's cheek as she croaks out, "She wants to find a cure for this. Right now those medicines only stop it from taking over."

Nodding, but still not truly understanding just what this was, Takeshi murmurs softly, "Does anyone know your size so we can get your uniform for you, child?"

Evelyn coughs slightly offering, "She and I share the same size, sir. We've been sharing clothes since she had several clothes she brought from home while I had none. I'll can make sure she gets one."

"Very well." Takeshi motions for Evelyn to follow. She pats Aryiana's hand, whispering a quiet goodbye before leaving, eyes full of tears.

As they leave the girl's dorms to the boy's they run into Amya who sighs upon being told to go meet the other two with Evelyn at the entrance. With a dark scowl she turns around and heads off, not bothering to look back as Evelyn follows in somewhat annoyed pace.

"Rayan, Jermani! Are you ready to get your uniforms?" Takeshi asks while knocks upon their door.

After a few rustling sounds within the room, the door opens to reveal the two boys ready to leave. Amused, Takeshi says, "Alright then. Let us go meet the others out by the entrance."

The two nod as they continue debating the various traditions and consequences while Takeshi halfway listens with concealed astonishment. They would be a great asset to Yuuki when she finally begins making plans to change the traditions.

As they enter the entrance hall they freeze as the scene in front of them begins to play out. Yuuki was laying upon the ground with a bruise forming her face and an older student glaring at her with rage. Amya had a tight hold on Evelyn while Miko holds her ground protectively in front of her sister, snarling at the boy, "You idiot! Don't you know it's cowardly to sneak up on someone when they're talking to someone else!"

Takeshi walks the rest of the way down, face closed off as he taps the boy on the shoulder. As the boy turns to face him his hand comes out and with a powerful crack sends the teen staggering back not knowing what happened. Ignoring his stinging hand, Takeshi scolds the teen with a heartless tone, "If I ever catch you causing problems within this school, again, Rey Eyptaia I will see to it that you are expelled. Is that clear?"

"But, sir! How could you let a Soul feeder to be in the Triple Moon Dorm!" Rey protests, not realizing the big mistake he just made until he finds himself pinned against the door, looking into stormy eyes.

"I did not place her there, Rey. Janena chooses where we go. If you do not like our planet's placement of her, then you can leave." Takeshi harshly barks at the boy who flinches and quickly shakes his head.

"I'm sorry, sir. Her aura just throws me off! Forgive me!" Rey pleads as he tears up at the thought of going back home.

"It is not me you should apologize to." Takeshi calmly states with his arms crossed as he steps away from Rey to reveal Yuuki standing behind him, her hands moving to stop her father from laying his hands on the other teen, again.

"Father, really it's fine!" She pleads as she moves to shield Rey when he speaks up, "No, Lady Yuuki. I deserve it for harming you. I am sorry that I was unable to control my anger."

Turning to face Rey, Yuuki feels her heart go out to him as his terrified, sorrowful eyes meet her own, begging her to let it go. With a sigh she nods reluctantly to open the door, forcing herself to cheerfully say, "Well, we should go shopping!"

Nodding the teens follow her as Takeshi lets out an agitated sigh, wondering perhaps if Aticulis was right. Watching Rey follow Yuuki he hopes that she would be able to break him and his sister from her parents' demanding decisions.

The silence endures the whole way to the town as Yuuki struggles to sort through the turmoil of thoughts gripping hold of her. 'Why did he look so sad? Why was daddy so mad? I know he doesn't like me getting hurt by others but that was too much...' She sighs as they reach the town, refusing to meet her father's eyes as he watches her in concern.

'What have I done?' He asks himself when she pulls back as he moves to touch her shoulder. Heart burning with self hate, he could only watch as they head into the store for their uniforms, knowing he would have to leave in order to the medicines. With a deep sigh, he unwillingly moves forward to the direction of the healer's shop, shoulders sagging with the oppressive weight of guilt burdening his soul.

Yuuki lets out a sad sigh at her father's hurt expression as she enters the store. She could feel her heart rate speeding up as she struggles to open her mouth to voice her thoughts when an invisible wall prevents her thoughts to be voiced.

"Yuuki, give it some time." Rey whispers, his voice small as he glances around the shop with a subtle sigh.

"But, I-" She begins to protest when Jermani voices his own thoughts.

"Yuuki, I know you love him. And he loves you. I'm sure that by the end of tonight you will have a talk with him on this. I can see it in your eyes you just don't want to show the whole world that you guys are in disagreement." Jermani advices while gently scooting her over to the girl's side of the shop.

"Yeah, sis. Let's get the uniforms. They look beautiful don't they?" Miko adds her two tokens in as she glances admiringly at the girl's school uniform.

Heart lifting at the efforts of her friends, Yuuki gently fingers one of the uniforms with delight. They truly were beautiful she thinks as she lifts one up to look it over. The girl's uniform consisted of a black skirt that reaches to their mid thigh and a black and silver shirt with a triple moon of Janena on the back. Included is a set of training clothes for the required Physical classes.

The boy's uniform is exactly the same but with pants and a loose fitting dress shirt with a tie. As they move to pay for their entire sets, Amya appears from a different room with a similar dress only it is a red skirt with a silver shirt with a black phantom upon the back. She glares at the others before leaving the shop having paid for hers in the other room.

Takeshi enters the healer's shop, calling out, "Hello?" He closes the door softly behind him as a woman enters from behind the counter, eyes widening upon recognizing him.

"Takeshi, is there something the matter up at the Academy?" The ancient healer, Yora, asks concernedly as he walks up to the counter while pulling out the prescription list and hand over.

Upon seeing the list she begins to scold him, "Takeshi, these medicines are far too-"

"If they are not given, the child will die anyways." He cuts her off, eyes piercing her with a steely glare as she lets out a soft sigh.

"Very well. Give me a few minutes." She reluctantly gives in to turn towards the aisles of medicines behind her. As she browses he spots in the corner a medical book. Wondering if possibly Aryiana's condition would be in it he flips through it to the pages it would be found within.

Catching his eyes he spots it and with a small flinch the first word sends him shaking. Within the book the definition defines it as a disease with no cure and causes death within the first two years of being diagnosed. Heart overflowing with grief he numbly thanks Yora while paying her.

Quickly staggering out of the shop he spots the teens talking amongst each other. Amya stands off to the side, looking annoyed. As he grows closer Yuuki turns and gives him a slight smile, but upon seeing his face her eyes darken with concern and fear.

Without a word he moves on back to the castle not trusting his voice as the teens glance at each other in confusion at their headmaster's sudden silence. Unable to gain the courage to speak up their worries, they trudge up to the castle behind him, murmuring quietly to themselves in reasons for the sudden change.

As they enter the castle, he finally begins to talk, "Yuuki can we talk?" His eyes search hers as she nods before he hands the medicines to Evelyn. "Take those to Aryiana. Yuuki will meet up with you all in a few minutes."

Accepting his words the group makes their way to Aryiana's room while the two family members stand at the entrance watching each other carefully. Slowly building the courage to discuss her feelings, Yuuki concedes softly, "I did not like what you did to him, father. He did not mean to do it."

Letting out a tense sight, Takeshi calmly sits down upon the steps. "I promised I would not let someone who hurts you to get away with it, Yuuki! He deserves it."

"But to threaten to expel him, father!? That is beyond cruel! Did you not see his face at the thought of having to go back home! How could you say he deserved that?" She shouts, face turning red with anger as she glowers at him.

"I did it so he would watch his control. I would not send him back there." Takeshi defensively snaps his own anger creeping in.

"Then tell him that! Right now he believes that you would make him go back!" She snaps when she suddenly realizes just how cruel she was being.

Turning away she whispers, "I'm sorry for rising my voice at you, father. But...he did not deserve such cold words from someone who has more authority then he has." She did not attempt to stop the tears from falling down her face as her hand comes up to touch the slightly bruised cheek with a thoughtful gaze upon the oak doors leading outside.

"You're right, Yuuki. He didn't and I'll make sure to apologize to him later." Takeshi gently tucks her into his arms with his chin resting upon her head as she relaxes at the scent of melting snow and fresh mint.

"Can we forget it ever happened?" She murmurs while burying her face deep into his neck seeking comfort as they sit upon the steps, neither really wanting to leave their comfortable position.

"Of course." Takeshi allows as he moves to stand up when her hands clutch his shirt tightly.

"Please, can we stay like this...for a little longer?" She pleads as her mind absorbs the warm feelings of being cared for and loved before she lets out a soft yawn.

"Hmm, I think someone needs to sleep." He muses while she shakes her head as she reluctantly pulls away to stand up.

"No, I just want to talk with the others. It is okay, right?" She watches hesitantly for a nod of approval and when he does she kisses his cheek whispering with gentle warmth, "I love you, father."

Scurrying up the stairs she did not hear him as he whispers, "I love you too, my precious Yuuki." His eyes watch her leave with a kind gaze before she vanishes and his eyes darken with anger. Twisting his fingers in his hair he sighs heavily, "Just be quiet. I do not want to hear you now."

'But why not? After all I did wake you. If it wasn't for me you would've given up on finding love in someone." The dark voice echoes the entrance way as Takeshi stares coldly at the man in front of him.

"Just because you awakened me doesn't mean I will ever be grateful of you, bastard." Takeshi snaps before storming up the stairs not wanting to hear another word from this man.

Yuuki leans against Eveyln's bed frame as the teens surround Aryiana who smiles weakly at them. "Don't worry, guys. I'm fine!" She tries to disperse their worries as she smiles weakly.

"No you're not. Just rest, Ary." Rayan kindly advices as he stretches his hand to take hers in a comforting hold.

"Yeah, let us talk. I'm sure that by morning the medicine will have worked its wonders and you'll be okay." Miko smiles as they settle around the room in various spots, none really willing to leave their friend as she coughs, blood dripping to the blanket.

Yuuki leans forward and with a handkerchief wipes the blood away with a worried frown. Brushing her hand against Aryiana's forehead she pleads, "Please, Aryiana. Rest we won't leave."

Amya narrow her eyes at the scene. She bit her sarcastic comments because she would need to be their "friend." She inwardly growls at the thought of being a friend to someone so kind. Shaking her head at the hopelessness of it all, she changes the subject, "So what are all of you? Summoner or Necromancer?"

Rayan, Aryiana, Rey, and Miko were Necromancers while Amya, Evelyn, Jermani turn to be Summoners. When they notice Yuuki hadn't picked either one they open their mouths to question her when she sighs, "I am both." She concedes...leaving out the other class the parchment had placed her. Its presence in her pant pocket feels heavy with the burden its contents held as she looks way in attempt to keep them from seeing the lie written within her eyes as they continue to talk animately about tomorrow.
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 am
sandayselkie says...

Oh a really good story. The whole secrecy thing shows that they still don't know each other well enough yet. The fact there is a spy makes it even more interesting and there is so much yet to discover about each character. You seem to know when to add the next bit of mystery in.
"Live in the present, remember the past and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now."
Saphira

"That's the spirit. One part courage. Three parts fool"
Brom

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang