z

Young Writers Society

The Descendants- Book 1 [2]

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:49 pm
LadySpark says...

So. Join the club. And I won't kill you >:-) :smt077 :smt096 :smt074 :smt065 :smt063
http://youngwriterssociety.com/page.php?id=1527

So. This is chapter 2 of my NaNo. Reviews and Likes are appreciated <333 Word count-

The Descendants- Book 1
~.~ Lines on the Road ~.~

Chapter 2-
The end of the line

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.”

Avelyn, her mom and her dad got back in the car, her parents talking excitedly, Avelyn still looking for Eitan. Her mom turned around and said, “So Avelyn, what did you think of this house.”
Avelyn considered the truth. Decided against it. “I hated it.”
Her parents mouths dropped open. “Hated it?” they asked incredulously.
She nodded. “I don’t want to move.” She looked ahead at the road, and noticed three faint silver lines on the road. They were getting stronger.
“Get over it.” her mother snapped, in an uncharacteristic head shake. “I don’t understand you Avelyn. You’ve known about this for a very long time.”
Avelyn balled her fists in anger. “I don’t care! I don’t want to leave my home. My home.” She was shouting now, her face red, her ears burning like they were on fire.
“This isn’t easy for any of us,” her mother started.
“Don’t tell me it’s not hard for you! You’re not the one that finally found what she’s good at! You’re not the one that has to struggle for everything!” Avelyn punched her other hand, trying to vent some anger. If they knew what she was going through... She wished she could escape to her music, lose herself in a world where heart break was transcribed in beautiful lyrics.
Those weird silver lines were now glowing and almost pulsing. Since her parents had noticed nothing, Avelyn brushed it off, figuring she was imagining things. She kept her eyes from looking at it though. She didn’t like it. She felt a little faint, and leaned back, closing her eyes.
“Avelyn Saga! Do not close your eyes like you are done discussing this! We have to have this out now.” her mother shouted, looking back at her.
“Have what out? We’re moving anyway.” Avelyn said. And then, without warning she burst into tears. When she looked up, tears streaming down her hot, angry, fevered face, she saw a big, black swirling mass in the middle of the road. The car was inching closer, and suddenly she knew that the black hole wasn’t good. Two of the bright silver lines were disappearing into the hole, and one went on, swerving around it.
What the heck? she thought, grabbing the back of her dad’s seat to get a closer look...

And then all went black.

Avelyn woke up, her head bandaged, laying on a clean sterile white bed. A nurse with her hair pulled back messily stood up when she saw Avelyn’s eyes flutter open. “Hello Dear,” she said, bustling over and holding a stethoscope to her heart. “Breathe deeply now. This will only take a minute.”
Avelyn did as she was told. “What happened?”
The nurse looked at her, and then said. “I have some... News for you.”
Avelyn sighed and looked at the nurse. As she did, she saw, in her minds eye a blinding flash, screams, the spattering of blood on leather seats...
Then it was gone.
“You were in an accident. Your parents...”
Avelyn closed her eyes, seeing the car barreling towards them, hitting the car with such force. Then she remembered the black swirls. She shivered.
“They died, sweetheart.”
Avelyn sat bolt upright. “Died?”
The nurse nodded sadly, turning her head away. “I’m sorry.”

Avelyn knew she wasn’t really. It was one of those things nurses say to make patients feel better. And right now, she didn’t feel anything. She was numb and tingling all over. It couldn’t be true. This nurse was lying to her. She had fallen asleep and this was a nightmare. There was no way it could be true. No way.
Yes, it could be, a little voice in Avelyn's ear said. It could be true...
Avelyn shook her head, trying to clear her head. Once again she saw in her mind the wreck. The car hurtling to them, at the same moment the car reached the black mass.

She shivered again. That black mass had been a trick of the light. There was no way that could be true. No way.
She gripped her blankets, trying to keep from screaming. This was driving her crazy, she had to see her parents. Know that they were okay. The nurse had disappeared, and no one was around. She slowly sat up, ignoring the dizzy feeling she got. She put her bare-feet on the cold tile. Walking to the window, she looked down. She must be on the first floor, because the ground was only a couple of feet down. She looked down at herself, realizing that she was in a paper nightgown. It was October outside. Who knew what hospital she was at. It might take hours to get home, especially with an injury. She walked over to the small counter, seeing the gay cards sitting there, bearing words like 'Get well soon!' or 'We're thinking of you!' she ignored them, knocking them down. There were her clothes. Sitting in the sink, folded.
They had been washed, but she could see blood stains still prominent on them. Her rocket ship tee shirt was ripped along one side, and her jeans where stained from dried mud and blood. Only her hoodie remained unblemished. It sat on top, clean.
She pulled off the paper nightgown and pulled on her clothes, which were still warm from the dryer. The hoodie went on last, wrapping her in warm soft fuzziness. Her hightops were lying nearby, ripped to shreds. She felt tears come to her eyes. It had taken her months to convince her parents to buy her those. Instead, she set her sights on a pair of old lady shoes by the bed. She pulled them on, and thanked God for the protection they would provide. Grabbing her hightops and the paper night gown she shoved them down her sweatshirt, and walked back over to the window. She opened it easily, hopping down to the ground.
they ought to fix that, she thought. Any wayward patient could escape!

She wasn't really sure why she was going home. It was slowly sinking in what the nurse had said. Maybe because of how real it sounded, now out in the real world, not in the world of clean death. The hospital had always been a play she had hated. Always. She shivered, thinking of how many bad experiences she had there. Thinking of the smell that always seemed to float in the air, giving her headaches.
The time when she was in for a soccer injury, and befriended the old man in the bed beside her. The next day, the man had died. And no one had been with him except for Avelyn.
The time she was there for a ballet injury, and the small child beside her had died.
She had always been horribly affected by dying. And it was constantly around her. She started shaking, and then cold sleety rain started coming down. She began to cry.
Why would this happen to her? Why not someone else who didn't care?
The tears washed down her face revealing the stinging of the scrapes on her face.
She wanted someone to come, pick her up, carry her to a warm car, take her home and tell her it was all a dream. But there was no one there to do that. Everyone had left her.
She started running when she saw her neighbor hood. She had been in the hospital that was on the other side of the highway from her house, and thankfully too. Her head was already aching, and she was a little dizzy. She ran up to her door, fumbling for her keys out of her jeans. She unlocked the door, and walked in. Collapsing on the floor of the kitchen after flipping on the lights, she reached up to feel her forehead. Slick blood made her hand slide down.
"Oh my." she whispered. Then she screamed, "Mom! Dad! I'm HOME."
No one answered.
you can't cry, she told herself. you can't.

She lay down, her face against the cold hard tile, trying not to cry. You can't. Praying that she'd hear her parents footsteps, coming to hold her and stop the blood that was in her eyes, on her lips. She licked her lips and tasted the metallic taste of her own blood. She screamed and kept screaming, her voice becoming hoarse. "You can't be gone!" she yelled to the empty house, drawing her knees up to her chin. "You can't have left me!" as her voice became too hoarse to shout, she started sobbing, so hard that her whole body shook from ferocity of it. Her face was frozen in an expression of pain, and the tears washing down her face fell on the tile pink/red from the blood that was washing down her face.

Finally there was nothing left to cry. Her face still frozen from misery, she started feeling her head for the wound. There it was. A deep gash along her hairline above her left eye. She stood up, and watched the room swim in front of her eyes. She walked to the bathroom and opened the cabinet and looking for bandages. She pulled them out, and started winding them around her head, messily trying to stem the flow.
They fell off, and her hair hung in her face, saturated in blood. Finally, she stripped off her clothes and hopped in a cold shower, holding on to the walls, and washing the blood off her face and out of her hair. After a few minutes standing under the freezing rain, she climbed out, and without drying off, wound her hair in a tight ponytail. Then she dried around the gash and took some medical tape and taped the tip of the bandage to her head, then started winding tightly.

Finally when she couldn't see red through the long bandage, she re taped and cut.
'There,’ she thought, as tears came to her eyes. She washed the dried blood from her face, and walked into the living room, laying down and closing her eyes. Her head pounded, and she was still shaking, whether from physical excretion or pain. She couldn't cry anymore. Now she just felt numb. She wouldn't believe her parents were dead. She'd find them, wherever they were and yell at them for scaring her. And they would say they were sorry, and wrap their arms around her, and carry her inside for warm food and hugs. They would take care of her. They would.
And on that note, she drifted off to sleep, trying to believe what she was thinking was true.
Because if it wasn't, what was she to do?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 pm
View Likes
Justagirl says...

Avelyn considered the truth. She decided against it. “I hated it.”

“I don’t understand you, Avelyn.

The hoodie went on last, wrapping her in warm, soft fuzziness.

She started running when she saw her neighborhood.

You can't cry, she told herself. You can't.
"Can't" is a little bit of the wrong word here. "Mustn't" would probably fit better, I think.

You can't.
Same as I said above.

Finally, when she couldn't see red through the long bandage, she re-taped and cut.

There, she thought

Hey, I've liked your story so far and I think this has added an interesting twist. I like the realization that she had about how there always seemed to be death about her... I it shows more further into the story. :)

Nice job ;)

Keep writing,
Just
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind