z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 4 (Part One)

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:03 pm
View Likes
Deathcurrent says...

Aysel was still in the hospital, waiting once more for Nico. Aysel thought back to that hospital room where she’d seen her friend’s life slip away...and where she’d been freed. Thinking about Acelynn’s still body made tears of relief come to her eyes. It was wrong that Aysel should be happy that her friend was now a “dearly departed”. She knew the body was no longer Acelynn and as Aysel sat waiting in the horrid orange chairs of the hospital, she wondered where Acelynn would have gone to. Would she have gone to Heaven? Acelynn certainly would like the Angels, especially the men; would she have gone to Hell? Acelynn might have been more wicked then Aysel had ever known. Either way, Ace is gone.
Aysel heard Dr.Nelson whispering into the phone. He had called the police. Why? Does he think I...killed Acelynn?! Aysel sprang up from her seat, and ran for the dock doors. Thinking how she’d kept insisting that she should stay. Sneaking into the room, and fighting the nurses. Of course they’ll have thought I did something to her.
If I leave, Aysel thought as she paused just in front of the metal dock doors, they’ll think I did it. If I stay they’ll think I did it, but that I’m biding my time. Aysel snorted as she ran through the red painted doors, leaving the smell of antiseptic and illness behind. Either way I’m screwed. Lucky for Aysel there wasn’t an ambulance unloading injured passengers. She ran like the hounds of Hell were on her tail and who knew with her luck they could be.
Aysel ran down the street, making her way toward the city limits and the surrounding forest. The forest circled the edges of the city and she would be able to hide better out there, for it was deep and warded by the Magie. Aysel was starting to run out of breath and a stitch started in her side. Her legs felt like two tubes filled with Jell-O instead of bone and muscle. Then, she heard another set of feet hitting the pavement. Gaining on her. Aysel new she shouldn’t look around, every scary movie she had ever seen had shown that when you look back while running you either fall and get caught, fall and get hurt, or fall and get killed.
Those were the last things she wanted. She decided to listen. It sounded as if she was being chased by an animal rather then a person. That meant nothing of course, the police had dogs. The animal was getting closer and if it tackled her she would be helpless. She may be a loyal citizen of Lunaforté and have magic in her veins, but if it was a police dog she couldn’t do a damn thing. All she could do was run for her life.
Aysel resisted the urge to turn her head once more as she heard the panting. Had it gotten closer in the last few seconds? Her resolve broke as she finally turned around to look. What she saw was definitely not a police dog. It was a large wolf with oak brown fur and honey colored eyes. Aysel felt her eyes widen and ran faster. Suddenly not worried about a stitch in her side, or the fact that she couldn’t breathe.
Aysel shook her head to clear it so that she could pay attention to her senses. She listened and found that the wolf chasing her was a werewolf. Just because it’s a werewolf with brown fur and honey eyes doesn’t mean it’s Nico! Aysel chided herself. Putting on another burst of speed. Aysel tripped on a lip in the sidewalk just as she was turing her head forward again to see where she was going. The ground started to rush up to meet her, then some teeth sank in to the back of her shirt and held her up. After a few seconds the werewolf yanked her back into an upright position.
She couldn’t believe it, the werewolf had kept her from falling face first into the concrete, maybe the were is a friendly. One of Nico’s posse or Nico himself. Then, the thought that she had been caught came to the fore front of her mind. Damn, I knew I shouldn’t have turned around. If the were isn’t a friendly... she thought grimly. Aysel waited for the werewolf to start sinking its teeth into her flesh as she turned around to face it, but it didn’t move.
“Nico?” she asked unsure.
The wolf nodded and then gestured with his head towards his back. She understood immediately at what he had in mind. Sure it was crazy, but Nico was a werewolf. They were the size of small horses. Aysel scrambled up on to Nico’s back and as soon as she was on he shot off in the direction of the trees.
Aysel held on to Nico’s fur for dear life, Nico was running at full speed and heading into the thicker part of the forest. When he reached a cave he finally stopped. He panted and snapped his teeth at her in annoyance. Aysel ignored him, instead walking deeper into the cave. Giving him some privacy to shift and get dressed. Only when she heard footsteps, only two feet this time, did she turn around to look at him.
“Are you alright Aysel?” Nico looked at her with concern in his honey eyes, eyes that he had whether he was a wolf or not she noted.
“I’m fine. Acelynn died today.” Aysel said in a shaky voice.
He sucked in a breath, “I’m sorry.”
“It’s alright, it wasn’t my fault and I’m no longer connected to her. Now I don’t have to feel extra feelings especially when I’m trying to concentrate.” Aysel smiled at him, “I’m free Nico. I know it’s mean, but I’m free from her.”
Nico let out a sigh of relief. “Good. I didn’t want you to be comatose from being grief stricken. Especially when the pack didn’t really like the girl, and we have a bigger problem then a dead Acelynn. No offense, but I hope she rots in Hell.” Nico said, baring his teeth in a I-Am-Going-To-Eat-You smile.
“Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here.” -- Spock from Star Trek

"There's power in stories. That's all history is: the best tales. The ones that last. Might as well be mine."-- Varric Tethras from Dragon Age II

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell