No
20%

Total votes : 5

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:43 pm
niteowl says...

I haven't looked at this since August and want to know what you think.

Even the birds seemed to be wishing me a wonderful 15th birthday as I flung open my sparking indigo curtains. The sun shone brilliantly through the window, bringing with it a day full of hope and promise.
A servant had laid out a lovely crimson gown drowning in jewels and tailored specially for me, a pair of shimmering ruby earrings to match, my favorite sapphire and ruby necklace, and a pair of brand-new, gorgeous high-heeled sandals the color of my dress with diamonds along the edges. I dressed and then went downstairs to meet Laria, the royal hairdresser.
As Laria and her assistants fussed over my hair and makeup, my mother looked at me with a hint of pain in her shining blue eyes. I wondered if it was because I had never fulfilled her dream of the perfect daughter. My hair was jet black instead of nearly white like Mother’s. My chocolate eyes were far too intense for a princess, unlike my mother’s soft sky blue eyes. My dancing was “too barbaric”, I played with my hair too much, I didn’t drench myself in diamonds and rubies every single day, I liked to run about like a “disgusting commoner”, and my manner of eating was never quite delicate enough. For once, I wish Mother would say I was good at something other than being “barbaric.”
“Siesi, your father wishes to see you in his study as soon as you’re done.” Harold, one of the servants, said. As soon as they placed my diamond tiara on my head, I raced to the study as fast as I could in heels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Good morning, Siesi, come in and have a seat,” Father greeted me I sat on the cheery yellow chair. Father’s study was my favorite place in the palace, save my bedroom. It was lined with bookshelves filled from floor to ceiling with books. Oh yeah, that’s another flaw, according to Mother. I read far more than any proper lady should. I was fascinated by the tales of gods and goddesses, of gruesome battles between them fought long ago when they still roamed the mortal world, and of legendary monsters and heroes.
“Good morning, Father. What did you wish to see me for?” I inquired.
“ My daughter, you are 15, nearly a woman now. I feel you must know the truth about something. You see that necklace you’re wearing?” There was a grave tone in his usually cheery voice as he said this. He almost never sounded this serious. I should have known right then this was bad news.
“Yes. It’s my favorite.”
“It was your mother’s.”
“Really? She’s never said anything about it. Did she wear it somewhere special, like your wedding?”
“ I never married her.”
“ Don’t be preposterous! You’ve been married 25 years!”
“The woman I married is not your birth mother.”
“ You had an affair with another woman!? Mother would be absolutely furious if she knew!”
“ I told her, and all has been forgiven. You see, it wasn’t just any woman. She put a hypnosis potion in my drink one night.”
“You mean my birth mother’s a sorceress!?”
“It’s worse, Siesi. Far worse.” I didn’t think that was possible. Sorceresses were evil women who went around using their magic for evil purposes. I didn’t want to stoop that low!
“What could be more awful?” I inquired. He hesitated for a moment, deeply sighing. He obviously didn’t want to tell me who my birth mother was, but he felt he had to. I honestly didn’t care who my birth mother was. I told Father that I had no desire to know my birth mother; that the Queen of Haleria was my mother as far as I was concerned.
“ It’s good to hear that, daughter, but due to the unusual circumstances, I fear you must know. You see, the evil goddess Salenia is your birth mother.”
I laughed. That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Everyone knew gods and goddesses no longer mingled with mortals, especially not in such a way as Father was suggesting.
“I wouldn’t laugh if I were you. On the night you were born, she kissed your brow, then wrapped you up and gently placed you in my arms. She looked me square in the eye and –“
“ Wouldn’t you burn if you looked a goddess straight in the eye?” I interrupted.
“Normally yes, but she was in her mortal form so as not to destroy me. Anyway, she said ‘The morning after a raven appears by the window, I will return for her. Keep her safe.’ And this morning, I awoke to a raven cawing.“ Tears welled in his eyes. I don’t know how I still believed he was just telling a fanciful story, but I did.
“ That’s an interesting tale. Now can I go take part in the festivities in my honor?”
“ Enjoy them while you can, for I fear this will be your last day of happiness. Farewell, my dear Siesi.” He said as I left the study like I was headed to my own funeral.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had an awesome time at the party. I greeted all the partygoers, which included all of Haleria and people from all over Wishy-Wichaan, even the Materos, our greatest rivals. Today was a day of celebration. Dancing, drinking, singing, and merrymaking were all over the place. Mother was probably having a fit somewhere if she’d seen how un-princess-like I was acting. We concluded with a grand delicious feast.
The celebration had left me in a carefree, dreamlike mood. I undressed then settled down for a peaceful night’s sleep. I didn’t even think about my father’s crazy tale.

Later that night, a strong swooshing wind awoke me. Its tendrils grabbed me and literally swept me off my feet, out of my window, and onto the back of a large bird that was easily camouflaged in the moonless, starless night. Its powerful wings lifted me up into the night. At first, I struggled to hold on and not throw up, but as we rode higher, I began to enjoy the feeling of the wind in my hair, the gentle rhythm of the bird’s wings, the sensation of soaring up to the clouds, so high that my castle would have been miniscule had I been able to see it. For hours we rode, rising and rising until the clouds were far below us. And floating in the middle of space there was the most magnificent castle I had ever seen. The large hawk-like bird I had been riding landed right on the drawbridge, which spanned a moat so wide three of my castles could easily sit side by side across the middle. The hawk transformed into a woman right before my eyes, in a swirling wind much like the one that had removed me from my bed.
“ Welcome home, my daughter.” She said in a gentle voice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
“I’m not your daughter!” I screamed as she dragged me into the enormous castle.
“Nonsense, daughter! Look at me and tell me she resembles you more than I do.”
I looked at her and realized she spoke the truth. She had long, dark curls like mine, intense brown eyes like me, and she seemed to understand me more than the woman I called my mother ever did.
“Come, Siesi, and let me show you all I have to offer.” I willingly followed her into the depths of the mysterious castle.
She led me to the top room in one of the taller towers. “These will be your quarters. I’ll show you the rest of your new home in the morning. For now, you need some rest. Good night.” She walked away. I was too exhausted to do anything but collapse onto the bed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:30 am
Chevy says...

Well, I really truly loved the first scene. It was very interesting and I could relate. However, the story seemed to drop dead once it got to the scene with the father. The dialogue in this section is written more like an late 50s screenplay. It didn't really sound like it belonged in a story of this calibir. The father, was also a very fake character. Before the dialogue begins, especially in short stories, you should honestly really take the time to describe the character being introduced. It seemed to me as though the main character was absorbed within her own self and her own thoughts she wasn't necessarily taking the time to really explain the characteristics and the actions of the other characters. Other than the dad, I think the other characters were fine.
Also, the last sentence was a true cliffhanger...it should not have ended so...dull.
Anyway, good story...keep writing :D
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:53 pm
Elocina says...

hey, I promised i'd read this and i did, it just took me wayyyyy too long to post. You should replace 1 'barbaric' with a synonym. If you could break it up with some more spaces (ei between paragraphs) that would make the critiquing session a bit easier on the eyes. As to the actual content, i found it interesting and was dissappiontedthat you didn't elaborate a bit more on the ball. That was a major part of her life and should be treated as such.

your description is far better here than in "Taria and the Talsiman''. Very good. you still have a tendency to lapse into 'telling' every so often. Something i have noticed when reading books is the number of times that the author flashes back. adding in some more wouldn't hurt, though you have done a good job with the mother's scolding.

Some more details on the characters themselves would not go unwarrented. i want to see something given in Siesi's self-description that comes back around when you describe her real mother. This is something that can be developed into a good story. Choppy ending, though....if I were her, I'd be more wound up than a rockchuck making a beeline for its hole with gunshots ringing around it.
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:59 pm
niteowl says...

Ok maybe I need to clarify something: IT'S NOT FINISHED! I'm not sure when, but I will add more to it. I'm just not sure what exactly. Also, I need to get the first part done better before moving on.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Elocina says...

lol. better git it done then. SOME of us r waiting.....waitng...waiting...waiting....whose seen "Finding Nemo"? To quote Dori, "Just keep waiting-just keep waiting, waiting..." Ok, more modify her quote, but still... Off-topic. Oops.

Yeah, finish it, or add to it. Throw me a bone. or a word. Whichever.
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon