z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 1 of Regicide

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:26 pm
Perra says...

It's not. Curse words are so common. Instead, delve into the character that's being insulted's psyche to find what word that describes something horrible about him would insult and hurt him the most. Save the cursing, it's easy to do. I've only cursed once in my story, and it was just in frustration. Too much cursing, to me, takes sophistication away. But that's just an opinion of a girl who never curses.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Elocina says...

I never cuss either. That's one of my reasons for not wanting to write it...
I refuse to let anyone curse around me. :D

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:15 am
Perra says...

I'll let them, but I'll try and get away with out much notice. My friend's don't curse, except in certain situations or just one word for some reason.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

64 Reviews

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 am
Elocina says...

If they curse around me, I usually look at 'em wierd or glare. That works wonders.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:34 am
WinterGrimm says...

In my opionion there aren't any bad words. Just bad intentions. They're just words. I use swearing in my writing because that's how most people talk. At least how people talk informally. Swearing in and of itself does not bother me. But seriously this thread has gotten really off topic and should probably continue in the Lounge forum.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:11 pm
Firestarter says...

It has a bit, if you want to discuss swearing go to the Lounge.

This should really just be for commenting on the story guys...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:58 pm
Zion says...

Wow it seems that fantasy writers are realted to royalty! :lol: :P About our history, no one tells me anything. They just don't want to. Its like, they are hiding something, something dark and evil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Personally I wont be surprised, considering the fact that my grandma and the grandma before her was a (semi)druid, and a LOT of strange things have been happening around the family lately. Weird, scary and cool 8) Who knows It just may pop up, that we are a arcane family :lol:
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:02 pm
Firestarter says...

Do you really want me to crack my moderator whip?

Keep to the topic guys, royalty discussions in the Lounge!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

64 Reviews

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:07 pm
Elocina says...

*blushes and feels guilty for having let it get so far off-topic*
OK, here's something to get us back on track. Don't have much time.

CHAPTER 2

Word spread quickly about the unfortunate deminse of the three guardsmen. Each time it was re-told, the details grew more exaggerated, until the dead trio had been drug through the bars and savagely beaten, dying when their brains splattered on the floor.
As was fit for the prisoner's mood, the day started with dready clouds. The prisoner watched the sun come up over the mountains. For an instant, he thought, That is the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. Then he realized that it was the only one he HAD seen, as far as his memory went. He stood tied outside while people cleaned up the barn. He had the eyes of all who passes by on him; he could feel their glares, as he'd felt for the entire march.

(Got 2 go now)

you know what? I'll just start a new topic for Chapter 2...
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:49 am
Elelel says...

FINALLY got round to looking at thins. Stupid internet time limit. *mutters to self* Ahem. Excuse me and ignore my mutterings.

For an instant, he thought, That is the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen.

I don't understand what this is saying. SHould it be "For an instant he thought, That is the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen" without the comma? THat's the only way I can make any sense of it anyway.

That's all I spotted in that section anyway.
I think you described the his cell really well, no one would want to be there. And the fact that everyone hates him is a really good point for conflict. One itsy bitsy little nit-pick. I think in ch 1 that you use the words "the prisoner" to discribe him to often. But that's really really itsy bitsy nit-picky. I hope you're still writing this, it's interesting, but I know it's been here ages and ages.

It's good vs evil.

He he! Mine too, but the good and evil get a bit mixed up. :twisted:
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:24 am
Happy Lizard says...

I like it. I guess thats all i can say. (I think everyone else has alredy edited it anyway)
~~Honary 11-year old~~

Would you like some bread with your pepper?

See that freak with blood shot eyes and a mole on his eyelid over there?
He is so hot.

I hate peas.

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena