z

Young Writers Society

In the Arms of a Warlock - Chapter Four

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:44 am
youngwolf1105 says...

Spoiler! :
This novel is really going somewere! I'm so glad it is and can't wait to post more for ya'll. Keep in mind that NaNoWriMo is the actual Prologue and 1st Chapter of this novel. All reviews are welcome! And thanks for taking time to read this! please review! :smt003

Someone had been in the kitchen alright. It was my Desantheo and Yasir. The other twin, Matchitehew wasn’t there (BTW, since I can't post a footnote on here, I'll just tell you. Matchitehew is Native American Algonquin for 'he has an evil heart'. HINT HINT!). Callie once informed me of their distinct differences. Yasir had shorter, black hair, and Matchitehew had grown his out. Then one of Yasir’s eyes were green. And then Matchitehew was slightly taller. Of course she would be the only one to notice. Sometimes that girl got a little over excited. But I loved her anyways.
“Hey Desantheo, she’s up!” I heard Yasir say. The strange thing that intrigued me about Yasir was that he had an American accent. It didn’t have a country edge to it like Callie’s, but it was certainly noticeable.
“You had to give me away?” I jokingly asked Yasir. He felt more like a big brother to me. I wasn’t attracted to him in the least bit. And he didn’t seem to be attracted to me.
“My darling, you’re up.” Desantheo said, striding around the corner. He’d been wearing an apron around his waist. I jumped out of bed and into his arms. Things had been going a little fast, but it all felt so familiar that I hadn’t cared. He set me on the ground and kissed me. I realized then that he was wearing the same clothes as yesterday. But I dismissed it for a minute or two, and just kissed him. Of course in the back of my mind, a stupid little voice was nagging at me that I should ask him why he was here, but I shut her up.
“Hey, get a room! Oh wait, you’re in one!” I heard Yasir yell from the other room. Finally, with one last kiss, he released me. He smiled and looked into my eyes. Why did he have this effect on me? I felt safe in his arms, but I knew that he could kill me with the slightest ease.
“Oh Yasir, shut up.” Desantheo said, his gaze never leaving mine. He slipped an arm around my waist and led me to the kitchen. There, on the island, was a heavenly looking meal. He’d prepared four, large omelets of some kind, and platter of French toast, and a freshly squeezed pitcher of orange juice. Then he’d made a batch of coffee for Callie, I’d assumed. I hated coffee. It was the worst beverage in the world. I wonder if he likes it, I thought to myself.
“Wow, this looks absolutely wonderful. But why did you do it?” I asked. While I had appreciated that he hadn’t let Callie starve as I slept, it was still a little out of the ordinary for such a young couple.
“Is it too early?” He asked hesitatingly asked me.
“No, not at all, just a little strange.”
“I’m sorry; I just wanted to surprise you. On your birthday, you know?” That was what surprised me. Only Callie knew when my birthday was, except my family. But they all knew I hated celebrating my birthday. I’d always thought it a silly thing to do, celebrate one’s birthday. But he changed my mind.
“Oh, yes. Thank you. This is very kind of you.” Callie shot me a confused look. I winked at her in return. Desantheo caught it, but never mentioned it.
“Well, happy birthday.” Desantheo said, kissing my forehead.
“Thank you.”
“So how old are you?” Yasir asked, kind of sheepishly I might add.
“I’m 18 years of age,” I said, proudly. Yasir cracked up laughing. Desantheo looked like he was on the verge of killing Yasir.
“What’s so darn funny?” I asked, confused.
“A private joke that Desantheo needs to get over, shall we eat?”

I must admit that Desantheo was a wonderful cook. He wouldn’t tell me why, but he just said that it ran in the family. He had even baked me a cake. It was wonderful to look at and to taste. I realized then that I had none of which to make anything to make this food.
“How did you make all of this?” I asked suddenly.
“I went to the store. Then I came here.” He said a little too quickly. I could tell that he had money, and lots of it, but what was he hiding?
“What’s wrong?” I asked, looking up at him. He looked at me and smiled.
“Nothing, but to tell you the truth, I didn’t go home last night.”
“Were did you go?” I asked, worried.
“Callie woke up right before I left. She offered to let me sleep on the couch. Then, she woke me up when she did and told me it was you birthday. So I went to the market and bought all of this.” He said, sweeping a hand towards all the food and cake. He smiled and kissed me on the lips. He pulled away and started cleaning everything up. I started to help, but he held up hand to steady me. “I made the mess, I clean it up. Besides, it’s your birthday. When I’m done, I have a present for you.”
“You didn’t have to do that.” I said before drinking the rest of my orange juice.
“Oh, but I did.” Callie shot him a look that said, how-did-you-know-what-to-get-her?
“What?”

Once Desantheo was done cleaning up, he walked to the balcony and pulled out a chair from the small table that sat there. I grabbed my housecoat and pulled it around me. I sat down in the chair, feeling a little nervous. I hadn’t known what to expect. Yasir did the same thing for Callie before sitting down. Then Desantheo turned to me before he sat down. He pulled a medium, black velvet box out of his pocket. Inside held the most beautiful necklace in the world. It was a silver dragon that was weaving itself around a crescent moon. Out of its mouth came fire that held a pentagram. How had he known I was Wiccan? Strange, I thought. Maybe Callie had told him more than I thought.
“Oh my goodness, it’s beautiful! How did you know that I was Wiccan?”
“I sensed it. Try it on.” He said, taking the necklace from my hands. I lifted my hair out of the way and let him clasp it around my neck. It felt powerful.
“Were did you get it?” I asked, as curiosity was about to kill the cat.
“It’s an old family heirloom. I couldn’t think of anything else to get you. Every woman that has been brought to my family has been given one. And Callie will receive one for her birthday, if they are not broken up by then.”
“No worries, we won’t be!” Callie says a little possessively. But Yasir seemed to like it and held her closer. Strange couple those two are, I thought.
“Okay, that’s a good thing to believe in!” Desantheo said, looking straight into my eyes. Something was bothering him, but I couldn’t tell what.
“What’s wrong, my love?” I asked, resting a hand on his thigh, dangerously close to his crotch. He looked at my hand like it was gold. Then he looked at me, obviously fighting a battle within him. “It’s okay, you can tell me.”
“May we speak alone?” He asked, standing up. I stood up and followed him to my bedroom. He shut the door behind us and drew the curtains. It worried me for a second, but it left my body when I saw the look in his eyes.
“What causes the pain in your eyes? Why do you inch away from me? Why do you believe that my love is so rare? You declare to love me, but the battles I see in your eyes tell me different.” Before I could say more, he closed the distance between us in one long stride. He enclosed me in the strong circle that was his arms. He brought his lips to mine to meet in a deep, passionate kiss that seemed to last forever, but not nearly long enough. The feelings that surged through me were not entirely mine. Somehow, I could feel his. They were anger, love, confusion, more anger, but love overpowered them all. My own feelings mirrored his. For one moment, the world ceased to exist. There was only Desantheo and Victoria. Then a new feeling surfaced. It was pain. But it felt good. I then realized that it was the necklace. I broke the kiss to stare at it in awe. It was glowing, with a blackish light. I looked up to see Desantheo crying. I pulled him into my arms to feel sobs rack his entire body.
“What makes you cry, my love?” I softly asked him.
“The necklace, it means something. When it glows like that, it means I’ve found you.” Said a voice that I'd assumed was Desantheo's. It wasn't. It was deeper, huskier. Then, before I knew it, I wasn’t me. I was there, but not. I could see what was going on through my eyes, but my actions were not my own. Someone else had been controlling my body, like someone was controlling his. But it hadn’t felt like I was being possessed. I could feel that my soul recognized him, and that my soul was what had taken over me.
“I can’t believe that after 345 years, we’re here together.” I heard myself say, but it didn’t sound like me at all. The voice sounded like magical little bells in the breeze.
“How can you still love me? After what I let them do to you?” Desantheo said, though it still wasn’t his voice.
“It wasn’t your fault, my love. I will always love you, whether it had been you or the witches that killed me. I’ve sent this beautiful girl in my place. She is meant for you, and only you. Never let her go. She is there incarnation of me. Love her, show her the right path. Don’t let the witches know of her, or else they’ll kill her. Scarlet wants you as her consort, she told me. She’ll never stop until you’re hers. Don’t let that happen, for me. I love you, but I must leave you. Good bye, take care of her.” Then, it was me again.
We were made to corageous,
We're taking back the fight.
We were made to be corageous,
And it starts with us tonight.

And the only way we'll stand,
Is on our knees with lifted hands.
Make us corageous,
Lord make us corageous. - Casting Crowns

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley