z

Young Writers Society

Ellora/Chapter 3

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm
21WhiteRoses says...

I woke up suddenly, the way one might wake after They dreamt of falling. I felt dizzy as I slid out of the bed and looked about the same room in which I had woken up before. This time, however, Risk did not wait by my bedside. I walked over to the window and looked out. Through the layer of frost that laced itself across the glass, I could see that the sun was just breaching the horizon. Its first rays of sunlight floated into the room softly. I began to remember all that had happened the previous night and fitting each puzzle piece together. As I did so my stomach began to twist sickeningly. Deciding to find either Risk or Ithicus I strode down the hall. I had questions that needed answers. It was still in silent. Perhaps he is asleep? I thought curiously. Then I saw a door cracked open and I peeked inside. There I saw Ithicus sitting in a velvet chair next to a fireplace. I threw the door open the rest of the way.
“Vampires.” I said breathlessly. Ithicus looked up from the book he was reading and arched an eyebrow as if to say, Yeah? So what?. “That's what you are isn't it?”
“We,” He corrected with a devilish grin. “That's what we are.”
A chill crept down my spine. Vampires? That had explained why they had attacked me, and why I too attacked Risk. But that still leaves so many unanswered questions. My eyes moved to the window through which the sun was shining brightly. I gave him a questioning look, and his eyes fallowed mine and then rolled when he saw the sun.
“Yes yes, they say the sun will kill us or whatever. That's all rubbish though, those things make the books and movies more interesting but they are merely myths.” I shuddered. This was real, but how could it be? Perhaps it was some kind of prank. I though came to me, What would my friends think if they knew? But then my eyes widened because I found I couldn't remember any of my friends. Nor my family or any other memories. The only memory that remained was the Risk leading us to the palace.
In dreams, we are more more the often very gullible. We believe in the most outrageous things, like vampires. Until we finally wake up and come to our sense. I wised desperately to wake up from this terrible dream! I couldn't take it anymore. To my dismay however, that wasn't was was going to happen.
Ithicus set his book down and strode across the room to me. “Relax,” He said as he took my hands in his own. They weren't cold like you would expect a vampire's to be. Instead they were just as any human's would be. “there's nothing you can do now but accept your fate, Miss Sinclair.” I pulled my hands away from his and a the corners of his mouth curved upward into a smirk. “Please, don't be cold, Ellora. Come sit down.” He walked back to his chair and gestured to the chair across from him. I reluctantly sank down into the padded seat.
I stared at him for a moment then asked, “I will...need to kill, won't I? To survive.”
Ithicus slowly nodded. “At least three times a week. And don't think you'll just die rather then take the life of a feeble human. I can assure you I am not going to let that happen.”
I was silent for another moment. I had so many questions, but I wasn't sure which ones to ask and how to go about doing so. “Last night, that glass of, um-”
“That was blood.” He interrupted. “My own.”
“Why yours?” I asked nervously.
He just gazed back at me, as if considering how to answer. “It was necessary. Drinking the blood of a vampire is what makes it possible to become one yourself. Although you are only truly a vampire when you have also been bitten by one. Both of those things must happen with in an hour of each other. ” A smile crossed his lips. “Also, the vampire whose blood you first drink will be immortally bound to you. And you will be helplessly obedient to that vampire.”
The sinking feeling returned to my stomach. “Why me?” I asked. Ithicus sighed.
“I grow tired of these questions.” He said in a draconian voice. “Risk is sleeping now, but when he wakes up he can answer all your questions. Now if you don't mind....” He motioned toward the door and opened his book again. I stood up and left the room silently and shut the door softly behind me. I looked around the empty hall. Nothing. No one. What was I to do now? I decided to simply wander the castle and as I did so I let the reality of my situation sink in. I remembered what Ithicus told be and thought about the people who offered us what I assumed to be blood as we made our way to the palace. Who were these people, and what had become of those who had drank from the glasses? Where was the this palace located? Why couldn't I remember my past life? I was I chosen to become a vampire? These questions raced through my conscience over and over.
I finally sank down against a wall, too bothered to even know where I was. After I'd sat there for nearly fifteen minutes I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I watched as a group passed, each dressed alike in black. When I looked in their faces I recognized some of them from the group I'd arrived in. They must have recognized me too, because they looked back at me with bewilderment and curiosity. They were lead past me by a tall woman with a lonely face. They must be servants now, I thought, remembering Ithicus sending them to the servant's chamber. I stood up and sighed, letting my shoulders slump. I straightened when I heard boots clanking down the hall and was relieved to see Risk round the corner towards me.
“Good morning Miss Sinclair.” he said with a refreshing smile.
I smiled weakly . “Morning.”
"But death and darkness in that instant closed the eyes of Argos, who had seen his master, Odysseus, after twenty years...."

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns