z

Young Writers Society

Howl - Prologue

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:11 pm
Hiccup says...

Recently started into my very first novel. I'm still trying to figure the title out, and the plot itself, but I felt like sharing what I have for the prologue so far.

The autumn breeze was crisp, flavoring the air with a scent of solemn leaves. My lips carved a delicate smile of gratitude, and as I lifted my chin and counted the remaining shops yet to be closed, a door jiggled at the arrival of a new guest entering the coffee shop around the corner. I began to stroke my mitten, precise on my calculations. Seven shops would close by sundown, just as the stars caught up with the moon. I pursed my lips, cracked and dry, feeling overwhelmed as a flood of people started down the street past me. The shops began to close, seven becoming six, then leveling to five, until only two shops remained open: A bakery, and the newest arrival to our little town, a yarn shop that went by the name ‘Yarn N’ Stuff’. (I found the name very unoriginal, but for the owners it stuck.)
With an inward sigh soft as the snow that would soon line the streets, I entered the bakery. As I stepped inside, I was greeted by a young man, his hair slick black and eyes deep brown. I studied his face for a moment; silent and unwavering. His face was narrow with pencil thin eyebrows and a frown that expressed a long day of work.
“Sorry, were closed.” He grunted, pulling off his apron with clumsy hands as he exited the back of the counter to confront me.
I crossed my arms with a disappointed and rather narrow look. “From what I see, you’re still open,” I gestured to the open sign, still facing the outside of the store.
“I was just on my way to change that,” the boy answered sharply, passing me with a glance and flipping the sign around to ‘Sorry, were closed’.
“It’s seven fifty-eight.” I spoke in a delicate voice, slowly inching away from the door and nearing the counter.
He craned his head around, looking slightly annoyed. “What?”
“There’s still three minutes before the shop closes.” I cocked my head, leaning over the counter. “You wouldn’t close early on a customer, would you?”
He studied me for a moment, and drew in a tired sigh. With that, he slid behind the counter, facing me with a direct glare. “Well? I don’t have all day.”
I listed the items on my list, waiting silently as he piled everything into a white paper bag. Money and bakery goods were exchanged, and I hurried out the door.
I turned, waving my goodbyes to the grumpy boy. He ignored me, and disappeared behind the selection of bakery goods.
I slowly parted from the bakery, closing the door behind me and heading onward towards the flickering lights of a cabin up ahead. The streets were quiet, missing the numerous amounts of passengers it once held. I shivered, tightening my scarf and nearly suffocating myself in the process.
I took the shortcut into the woods, hesitating for a few moments before plunging into the thicket. The eerie silence I endured on the root-infested path was worst then it had been on the streets.
A twig cracked somewhere in the thick shadows. I paused for a short moment, running comforting thoughts through my head. It was probably just a squirrel, or a bird…
The fear passed. I walked on at a steady pace, my breath forming foggy shapes in the frigid air.

The thicket rustled, and a massive creature made its way in front of me with long strides. I would have screamed, but my throat tightened. It paused, turning its long muzzle to stare at me. I squinted. In the thick darkness, it was hard to make out what it was, but my imagination was already toying with its presence. A wolf, perhaps? No. It was much too large to be a wolf. The clouds shifted; a streak of moonlight rained down upon the creature. A startled gasp escaped my lips, cut off short by a loss of breath. It looked of a dog, only double the size (make that triple), with pointed ears and a long, thin muzzle. Its tail curled over its back, reminding me of a huskies’, except for the tail bone sprouting from the tip. Of course, that wasn’t what disturbed the creature of its figure. Flesh was torn and hanging limply; bone and tissue was easily defined among the clots of blood and gashes. I turned a sickly shade of white, watching as the creature narrowed its blank eyes on me. It’s muzzled was torn and missing skin, revealing sets of teeth and a cracked jaw bone that clattered as it suppressed a snort.
I should have run. But I couldn’t. A streak of memories settled in my mind, but they were fuzzy and retreated within moments. There was my mother, smiling kindly and soothing me with kind words, placing me inside my cradle and rocking me gently. Moments later, she was on the ground, bloodied and dead, and a baby that was me crying softly in a confused The creature flicked back it’s ears, tail wagging lightly as if it was deciding what to do with me. Maybe it would leave. Maybe it wouldn’t. I waited helplessly, body frozen in terror.
Its lips peeled back into a low snarl, claws pricking the frozen ground. Then it turned, ribs nearly visible beneath the flabby, hairless skin, and vanished into the thicket.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:10 pm
Carina says...

This would be my first review. So, here I go.

Since this is a prologue, I liked how you left the ending hanging. Way to keep the reader (me, in this case) on the edge of their seat thinking, "Oh, snap, he's going to die!"
I loved the main character's (which I don't think you mentioned his name) personality; a calm smart-alec who feeds off every little detail. Hah, coming in a store two minutes before it's closed?
If I was this wolf (I'll just go with that, since 'large ugly over-sized grotesque thing' is just too much to write), I would eat him.

I liked the little details:
...and the newest arrival to our little town, a yarn shop that went by the name ‘Yarn N’ Stuff’. (I found the name very unoriginal, but for the owners it stuck.)

I shivered, tightening my scarf and nearly suffocating myself in the process.

A twig cracked somewhere in the thick shadows. I paused for a short moment, running comforting thoughts through my head. It was probably just a squirrel, or a bird…

But if you could improve, I'd say you should spice up the descriptions. For example, let me give you my version of what I thought the wolf looked like:

It was kind of like a dog with pointed ears and a tail, but its features were horrendous. Grotesque open gashes hung limply from its body, closed and open, fresh and old. Visible, haunting bones stuck out between the open gashes of flesh, and there was not one clean spot on its body where there wasn't a speck of blood. And unlike a cute puppy dog, it was two, three times bigger with a muzzle that failed to serve its purpose, revealing bloodstained daggers as teeth. I heard it repress a growl as its beady, blank eyes looked down at me.

I don't know, something like that. Try to find words that stick out, and I see you've done that already in some places, but they're especially important in descriptions.

Keep the story moving, keep the writer interested.
Good job, by the way.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

saint carina, patron saint of rp
—SilverNight

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am
apple96 says...

Hi Hiccup

I agree with the last post about the details which were nicely dropped in and decided to focus on the few errors I could spot.

Hiccup wrote: “Sorry, were closed.” He grunted, pulling off his apron with clumsy hands as he exited the back of the counter to confront me.

The were here should be 'we're'.

Hiccup wrote:I listed the items on my list, waiting silently as he piled everything into a white paper bag.

Maybe its just me but the beginning of this sentence sounds awkward to me, I think it could be the repetition of list I don't like . . .

Then it turned, ribs nearly visible beneath the flabby, hairless skin, and vanished into the thicket.

Hmm . . . Flabby but with ribs showing? Maybe a different word would be more appropriate. Flabby suggests loose skin or being fatty while we can tell from the other descriptions that this creature isn't fat.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this and it works very well as a prologue as people want to read more.

- apple96
'Are you saying Ni to that old woman?'
'Yes'
'Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history'

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:50 am
Sannah says...

Hello Hiccup! I like your story a lot! It's very interesting. But I'd like to make a few suggestions.

As I stepped inside, I was greeted by a young man, his hair slick black and eyes deep brown.
I'm not sure when you say "I was greeted by a young man," if you mean he said hello or if you mean that's the first thing the character laid his/her eyes on. I doubt he greeted the main character, since he is grumpy, but I'm still a bit confused. I think you mean that's the first thing he saw, but I'm not sure. Sorry for being confused.

I really like the main character. I already feel like I know him (or is it a her?). And I really enjoy your descriptions. They seem very exact. I get a good mental image.

When you are describing the undead wolf (am I allowed to call it that?), I think it would be a good idea to first describe what about the wolf jumps out at your main character. If the wolf's face stands out to him, then describe it first. If it's it's size, then that. But if you prefer the way you already described it, keep it. And I agree with Carina, in this wolf's description, you need to be very exact and precise. I've never seen an undead wolf so I want to know exactly what it looks like. It's like when you go somewhere for the first time, you crane your neck all around yourself so you can see everything because it's so new. You want to see every part of it. That's how I try to think of describing unusual/new characters/places/things/animals.

You did a good job! I find the story intriguing especially the part about the character's mom being killed by the wolf (at least that's what I assumed has happened). Anyway, I hope I've helped. Keep writing!
"Raise your voice every single time they try and shut your mouth." My Chemical Romance
"I will never cease to fly if held down and I will always reach too high." Vanessa Carlton
"And rest assured, cause' dreams don't turn to dust." Owl City

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna lay down and become a tomato for a while.
— RokitaVivi