z

Young Writers Society

Boys. [draft] chapter one.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:35 am
timmy41 says...

Boys-draft
Shells fell like the teardrops of those left at the bay, crashing remarkably and firing crusted razor shards of malevolent metal exceedingly towards to our enervated British faces.

We were the boys of Putney.

We kissed our mothers goodbye and headed for this monstrosity many eves ago. I recall the sun sat low sending the shadows of the clay brick homes and ever extending chimneys of South London into a state of unidentifiable freedom. A mans ghost would lay out a good thirty yards on one of those days. As children we amused ourselves with self projections of strapping young giants left in the cold during the two or three hours of low lying meticulous sun one would receive during the winter months. All dreams are buried in the summer.

The western front was no place for us mere boys; I established that in a whole few hours of constant shellfire and horrible sights. The scent of death hung low in the breeze like the Putney sun those first few hours. Too many men would die for no cause, of this I was sure. We lived through the crests stitched high on our caps or helmets and the dreams of strapping giants. We were all casualties that day, we were all wounds, we all lived and died with the greatest of ease. We were strips of cloth on other men’s shoulders, or if they were lucky; the key holders to their graves.

My mother told me of the grief’s of home life, work and her women’s meetings. Her ambition overlooked her abilities, my father told me this. Her letters were comforting if nothing else. I replied with holistic dribble regarding the greater good and the comradery that remained strong amongst us Putney boys careful not to bring much attention from the censor. My mother was a good woman, full of grit, spite for oppressors and loving towards her children. She was my life, and all I could see for the odd hours of sleep I could scrape together during my time on the front line as well as the reserves. Sometimes days would pass where I wouldn’t think of her, but those days were sad days, they were fighting days. I was not a very good fighter, none of us were.

I grounded dirt between my fingers and watched the dust disappear through the calm familiar breeze that rose before the rains would return to turn that dust in to mud once more. The high brick chimneys and ever extending shadows now traded for low lying bunkers and closely pressed safeness of the revetment seemed so far away. In a war, every hundred yards is the Sahara, and ‘the channel’ seemed like the Atlantic. I sank low into my temporary stretcher; Simon lay beside me his breathing still not at ease from the previous day’s fighting. He opened his eyes gently and re-commenced expressing the fortitude of his grudge towards the scratching of my pen to desist during these rest periods.

Sleep came fast and without hindrance until I awoke to the furious rapping or tiny vermin as they gnawed away at my pack. Drearily arising I motioned towards the beasts and forced them to disperse throughout the bunker. Checking the time from my pocket watch, one of the few remaining items left from the day we embarked on this ‘voyage’. It was four fifteen. This was no time to be up and about, though I looked at my pack with an unusual dismay; something was missing. I crept as quickly as lazy aching bones could carry me before kneeling down to inspect the differing views of my once wholesome, mud less pack.

It was an instance of utter catastrophe that shook my languid bones to their very smallest cells. My cries of revulsion towards our vermin house guests echoed through the cold, clammy, mud packed walls and awoke several of my pals. I reached into the pack further as my worst nightmares were realised.

The rum was gone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is a draft for the first section of a major work that will eventually be submitted next year so any critiques or anything will be gladly taken on board. Any assistance is a great help, sorry for any grammatical errors as this is only a draft and hasn't really been revised as of yet.

thanks guys.

tim x/.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:40 pm
Stori says...

The language is a little dense, I think. And what is "eves ago" supposed to mean?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 pm
Sam says...

Hey, Timmy41. ^_^

This is actually really awesome- it's probably my favorite thing I've read on YWS in quite awhile. You drew me in with poetry and tragedy, and it never erred on the sappy side.

Because of my complete and utter love for this piece, I'm going to have to get really nitpicky. It's only because I care. XD

- "the dreams of strapping giants"- This is pretty, as raw language, but it's kind of uncertain as to what it means. It could be 'strapping giants' with strapping as an adjective- strong, youthful and powerful giants. Or it could be a verb "strapping giants"- tying them to poles and whatnot. Either way, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This is one line you might want to clarify.

- "Her ambition overlooked her abilities, my father told me this." When did your father tell you this? Because this piece is a lot of leaving home, leaving familiarity blah blah blah, it is rather strange for the dad to suddenly pop up in the narration.

- "Checking the time from my pocket watch, one of the few remaining items left from the day we embarked on this ‘voyage’" I'm not a fan of words in quotations, mainly because it detracts from the rhythm and has a sort of bitter, tongue-in-cheek air. You're going for bittersweet here, from what I can tell, and straight nasty bitter won't do this piece much justice.

- I'm a little dubious on the ending. Basically, with the way you've set up the story, it sets the story up for mocking itself...? Hard to explain, but it's not exactly a good thing. There are two things you could do to fix this.

The first would be to use some light humor throughout the piece. I would not recommend doing this, because it would change the thing entirely.

The second thing (the thing I would most advise doing) is to explain the significance of the rum- to justify it as something besides a way to slip in a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean. You can do this by not referring to it as a 'nightmare', but rather recalling the significance of the rum. Some ideas: to dull pain, the source of the rum, stories with rum, and so on.

Please drop me a PM if you want any extra help with this- I'm kind of in love with it, thus far. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 pm
timmy41 says...

Sam wrote:Hey, Timmy41. ^_^

This is actually really awesome- it's probably my favorite thing I've read on YWS in quite awhile. You drew me in with poetry and tragedy, and it never erred on the sappy side.

Because of my complete and utter love for this piece, I'm going to have to get really nitpicky. It's only because I care. XD

- "the dreams of strapping giants"- This is pretty, as raw language, but it's kind of uncertain as to what it means. It could be 'strapping giants' with strapping as an adjective- strong, youthful and powerful giants. Or it could be a verb "strapping giants"- tying them to poles and whatnot. Either way, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This is one line you might want to clarify.

- "Her ambition overlooked her abilities, my father told me this." When did your father tell you this? Because this piece is a lot of leaving home, leaving familiarity blah blah blah, it is rather strange for the dad to suddenly pop up in the narration.

- "Checking the time from my pocket watch, one of the few remaining items left from the day we embarked on this ‘voyage’" I'm not a fan of words in quotations, mainly because it detracts from the rhythm and has a sort of bitter, tongue-in-cheek air. You're going for bittersweet here, from what I can tell, and straight nasty bitter won't do this piece much justice.

- I'm a little dubious on the ending. Basically, with the way you've set up the story, it sets the story up for mocking itself...? Hard to explain, but it's not exactly a good thing. There are two things you could do to fix this.

The first would be to use some light humor throughout the piece. I would not recommend doing this, because it would change the thing entirely.

The second thing (the thing I would most advise doing) is to explain the significance of the rum- to justify it as something besides a way to slip in a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean. You can do this by not referring to it as a 'nightmare', but rather recalling the significance of the rum. Some ideas: to dull pain, the source of the rum, stories with rum, and so on.

Please drop me a PM if you want any extra help with this- I'm kind of in love with it, thus far. ^_^

haha okay, first of all thanks, and i can definately see the thing you've pointed out. I never even thought of physically strapping giants, seems a bit ridiculous haha.

the father thing, yeh by not reffering to one point i tried to say that it was a frequent saying not just one particular moment.

voyage...yeh it just looks silly i agree but it wouldn't get the same feeling without the quotations im thinking more scrap the entire line haha.

ah the rum, surprisingly nothing to do with pirates, rum was administered to the British soldiers in order to build the courage of the relativaly untrained army as they would leave the trenches to fight in no mans land.

and yer it ends like this because it is not really the end, i mean there are many many many chapters to come as well as another story to contrast this characters view.

and to my friend above "eves ago" is just a phrase. better than years ago or failing that. "a long, long time ago" it keeps with the mood and establishes the feel of exaggeration in terms of missing home.

anyways thanks guys, get more people in here to help. haha.
x.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 am
helenelizabethclarke says...

wow
i really loved this
amazing use of vocabulary and really stylish writing style

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 am
View Likes
alleycat13 says...

I agree with Kyte--the language is a little dense. I also agree with Sam that this pretty awesome. I love the tone you have towards the piece. I have a couple critiques though.

Shells fell like the teardrops of those left at the bay, crashing remarkably and firing crusted razor shards of malevolent metal exceedingly towards to our enervated British faces.
The first part (up to "the bay") is beautiful! After that, not so much. "Crashing remarkably" is just a strange combo, and the adverb is the to blame. I think using a simile there would be more effective. The rest is too long. Read it out loud. It takes a lot of breath right? I'd split is up. Finally, I honestly don't know what "enervated" means, and I have a fairly wide vocabulary. So, know your target audience. If they will know what it means, good for them. If not, don't use big words just to use them.

A lot of your other sentences run really long too. I'd go through and shorten some of them up.

In a war, every hundred yards is the Sahara, and ‘the channel’ seemed like the Atlantic.
This is a gem of a sentence. And there are some more good ones in there too.

I like it, and I think it's a great start.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 pm
ThanatosPrinciple says...

I think you should elaborate on where Putney is in the beginning. Besides that, good start :smt080
With this magical drrrink I shall RULE THE WORLD! Mwhahahaha!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye