Young Writers Society

"Ballerina" The first Chapter (edited)

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm
ballerina13 says...

Chapter 1
The Opera
The lights dimmed in the Palace Garner Opera house, all the talking from the gentlemen and high class ladies, hushed.(How they were decked out in jewels, fans, silks, and top hats, with one look you could tell that they were of 'good society'). The Opera house was ghostly silent as the red, heavy, curtain swept across the stage as the dancers took to the stage to dance the second act of, ‘Coppelia.’
They wore bright colors such as red sashes, black fans with gold tassels at the end of it while they danced their hearts out. This act was when Swanhilda and her friends went into Dr. Coppeliaus shop and wind up all of the dolls and create havoc on Dr. Coppeliaus. Some of the dancers were the dolls, who were standing up as straight as stone while others ran about the stage, doing jetes and pique turns; flitting about like fairies. I, Marie Picard, played one of Swanhilda’s friends.
The act ended. I heard the excitement of the applause deafen as I rushed off to change into my street clothes. My slim face was flushed due to the excitement of performing. When I danced on stage, it was like I was a bird that had just escaped from it's cage, stretching her wings and singing a happy tune.
The foyer de la dance was crowded with dancers quickly changing into different costumes, re-applying their make-up, fixing hairdo’s, and re-tying pointe shoes. By taking my costume off and handing it to the assistant in charge. I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer to a girl living and dreaming, in poverty.
My blue dress swished due to my hoop skirt underneath it. My black shoes made a soft crunch with every brisk step that I took. The winds howled and snow blew down every street corner, sending chills into my bones. I hugged my brown wool coat tighter around my chest, as I walked up Rue de la Chausses d’Antin toward Place Pigalle. The street was steep and iced over in some places, making it hard to walk.
“Blast!” I groaned as I lost my balance, and fell onto the cold cobblestones. I dropped my pink pointe shoes and sat there on the ground for a few minutes, mentally and physically tired. I felt like crying, but bit my lip to stop it from quivering. I shook my head as tried but failed to get up.
“Excuse me, mademoiselle, do you need some assistance?” A deep voice asked. I looked up and saw a figure in a dark coat, tall silk hat, who was carrying a note-book under his left arm. He had black hair and a goatee that clung to his chin. Everyone knew who this man was, Monsuier Degas. He was present at rehearsals, afternoon classes and performances. He would sit in the corner of the class rooms or in the wings of the foyer de la dance, sketching us while we sat on a bench resting or when we would flop down on the ground and adjust our pointe shoes .Never when we were beautiful dancers. He wanted to show true beauty. I liked that about him because he was showing the world the real dancers, mixing exhaustion and passion into it as well.
“No, thank you. I am all right.” I assured him, getting up off the ground. He smiled a kind smile and looked down at the ground at my pointe shoes. “I have seen you work, you are extraordinary; one of the best that I have seen in a long time How would you feel about being a model for me? “he asked.
" Yes, I would be honored!" I told him. " Excellent." He said, as he turned on his heel and started to walk again. I got up again, only to slip and fall down again.
“Blast these wretched skirts!” I mumbled, scarmbling up to street.
We walked up the street to Rue Frochot. He had not said a word to me since we left. Monsieur Degas stopped at a green, chipped door with the number 4, on it. We walked up the flights of stairs until we got to the fifth landing. He opened the door. The studio was very similar to the Opera house. The walls were a cream color and there were very few paintings up; the studio already looked very cluttered and busy, so I guess few paintings was alright. It had dust tutus, dead pointe shoes. But, there was also, a zinc bathtub along with well-loved books sitting on top of stools; a small piano, a violin and other instruments. There was a window on the far side of the studio. Along side of the window, laid up-against the wall was paintings in gold frames, some not in frames at all. Also, a worktable covered with used and new tubs of paint, all the colors you could imagine, brushes, and lumps of dried up clay, loose paper, and sketches not yet finished. His cloak and top hat were still on when he faced me and bared out," Go and change into a tuto . Then you may put some toe shoes on." I slipped my boots off and put them by the door, as we did at home. I went over to the bin and sorted through the dusty, worn-out, tutus. I decided on one with a yellow ribbon, my favorite color.
I changed behind the screen fairly quickly, walked to the model stand and bent down to tie my pointe shoes."Hold that pose”. He barked. I was down in second position. A position that I was very comfortable in, not as comfortable as 4th position though… I was begging to feel lightheaded due to the fact that my head was bent down, blood rushed to my head like a river, making my face red.
For about an hour, I was in that pose. To get the pain off my mind, I thought of pretty ball gowns with lace, silk and hoopskirts. My mother had beautiful pieces of material to make dresses with; she was in the middle of teaching Genevieve of whom was my sister, and I. We usually spent our time at night sewing, reading or just talking about our day.
Finally, Monsieur Degas said, “That is all, thank-you. I will see you two times a week, more if I need you, less if I don’t. On Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Is that all right?”
“Yes, it is fine. Thank-you”, I said, looking down at my pointe shoes.
“Excellent, you may go change.”
I nodded and smiled.
Once I slipped on my petticoats, hoopskirt, and corset, I pulled on my blue poplin dress, and stepped out behind the screen, Mousier Degas resumed telling me the dull information.”3 francs, each time you come. What is your name dear?”
“Marie, Marie Picard.” He wrote it down in small, black notebook.
“We will start next Tuesday”, he announced.
A smile fell across my rosy face and I rushed down the steps. The air was cool and the wind crisp. It refreshed me as I skipped. The sun was setting and the sky looked gray, the clouds a soft shade of blue-black. I ran home, dodging people; of who gave me looks, I apologized to them.
with hnts of lavender making there way into the 'illusion'.
“Marie, darling, where have you been?”Momma asked me from the kitchen once I had stepped through the door to our town house.
“Posing for Monsieur Degas. I answered coolly. Searching around the kitchen and finally picking up a carrot to peel.
“Heavens, above! For how much?” She shrieked.
“3 francs each time I pose.”
Momma nodded approvingly.
“Truly, Marie?” My sister Genevieve asked, while she peeled potatoes.
Genevieve was 19 and a professional dancer at the Opera. She was bubbly and charming with blond hair and bright blue eyes and a lovely smile. I envied her with the way she talked to people and how she held her self. Head held high, with a smile on her face all the time. Also, Genevieve was always happy and fun, even while she was being elegant. When I was in front of people talking I always said the wrong thing or was as quiet as a mouse. Seen but never heard. I was to shy and just stood there staring at the ground, practicing my releve’s and turnouts. You see, it is interesting because, I would always say that I was not scared but deep down, I was terrified.
“Yes!” I replied excitedly. Genevieve roke out in a smile and started to say somethig ,but closed her mouth.
My family like so many before the war of 1871, was once refined and elegantly dressed. We lived in a charming house and had servants. Also, my father had died some months after the war, so we were, “as poor as rats”, to me since then. We lived comfortably but, I wished we could go back to the way we were before. Back to having a whole family. “Marie, will you help me with the dishes?” Mother smiled at me. “Yes, momma.” She handed me a towel.” Thank-you for helping me.” Momma told me as she sponged down a dish. I nodded,” It is no trouble. I enjoy it.”
I retired to my bedroom that I shared with Genevieve weary and content.
The stars and moon shone brightly through the window in the room as if a beckon hope to those souls how were lost. The window pane was frosted over, weak light from the moon poured through it. The sky was a dark, beautiful blue. I lit a candle and sat down at my writing desk. It was piled over with short stories, quill pens,and empty bottles of ink. I gave myself up to, longing to better myself. At night, when all of Paris was asleep; my mind would be alive with friends as dear to me as any in the real world. Writing and dancing was my escape from everything in this world.
Last edited by ballerina13 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 pm
Hannah says...

Squee!!! Ballet! ^_^ Here are some suggestions from a friendly Hannah who is deeply in love with ballet~

They wore bright colors and danced their hearts out. This act was when Swanhilda and her friends went into Dr. Coppeliaus shop and wind up all of the dolls and create havoc on Dr. Coppeliaus. I, Marie Picard, played one of Swanhilda’s friends.

I think that for this passage it would be lovely if you might describe the scene of the act in a bit more detail. Rather than just saying 'they wore bright colors and danced their hearts out', perhaps spell out the action a bit more, describe some of the moves of the particular dancers, the exact colors they wore, etc. ^_^

re-applying there make-up, fixing there hairdo’s, and re-tying there Pointe shoes.

In this section, it's supposed to be 'their' rather than 'there', but I do think you should take that word out altogether anyways. 're-applying make-up, fixing hair-do's, and re-tying pointe shoes' seems adequate enough to me.

With the simple act of taking off my costume, walking over to the attendance, in my corset, and petticoats, handing it to her, I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer, to a girl living and dreaming, in poverty.

Starting off the sentence with 'with the simple act of' entails that the narrator's only doing one thing, while in the writing you describe a few different things that she's doing. Perhaps use 'in the simple actions of' rather than 'with the simple act of'. Also, you don't need a comma between 'dancer' and 'to' or between 'dreaming' and 'in poverty'.

My blue dress swished from my hoopskirt .My black shoes made a soft crunch with every step that I took. Snow blew down every street. Sending chills into your bones;

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'my blue dress swished from my hoop skirt'. Perhaps 'over'? Also, the last two sentences should be combined like this: 'Snow blew down every street sending chills into my bones;'.

I dropped my pink pointe shoes and sat there on the ground for a few minutes, mentally and physically tired. I felt like crying, but bit my lip to stop it from quivering.

I particularly love this passage. It illustrates the complete exhaustion that the narrator was feeling and hearkens to the fact that she must expend extraordinary amounts of effort on her ballet {well, or somewhere else}.

some assistance?” A gruff voice asked me.

You don't need to capitalize 'a gruff voice'.

I looked up and saw a figure in a dark coat, tall silk hat, and was carrying a note-book. He had black hair with a goatee. I knew who he was, Monsieur Degas, all of us at the Palace Garner Opera House knew who he was. He was usually present at our morning rehearsals and afternoon classes and performances.

The first sentence is awkward because when you start the phrase with 'in', then parallel phrasing dictates that your last item would read 'in was carrying a note-book'. Try re-working it so the phrasing works better. Also, 'he had black hair and a goatee' would be smoother. Then, rather than commas in the sentence about his name, perhaps double dashes would set it off better. Finally, you use two 'and's in your last list, and should replace the first with a comma.

Never when we were beautiful dancers. He wanted to show us when were being true. I liked that about him.

I like this passage as well, for it shows a glimpse of the narrator's opinion, but perhaps you could elaborate upon why she likes his technique?

He smiled a rough, kind, smile and

How might a smile be rough?

follow me, “he announced, turning on his heel and paraded up the street in long strides.

Disregarding the fact that Degas might not order around a ballet girl or praise her work as he does in your story, I also don't think he'd 'announce' 'follow me', or 'parade' up the street, and I think you should choose different verbs there.

I just stood there trying to figure it out. He turned and looked at me,” Come”, he barked. I raced up after him. He started his strides again. “Blast these wretched skirts!”

What was the narrator trying to figure out? What is 'it' referring to? Clarify. Then I think you should say 'He turned and looked at me. "Come," he barked.' The short sentences will accentuate the brevity of Degas's orders. I don't think you need the word 'up', and 'started his strides' seems quite awkward, though I know you referred to strides before. Try using a different phrase there to avoid repetition. Also, it should be clarified who is 'blast'-ing the 'wretched skirts'. Teehee~

Alright, now I'm skipping over some of the little grammatical errors that I'm sure you'll be able to catch if you go through and edit.

It had dust tutus, Pointe shoes. But, there was also, a zinc bathtub; well-loved books; stools; a small piano, a violin and other instruments.

Here, however, it's really not easy to ignore. I'd suggest writing it like this:

There were dusty tutus, pointe shoes, well-loved books, stools, a small piano, a violin, and other instruments. Curiously, a zinc bathtub also took its place in the room.

Maybe? Maybe not? ^_^ Just a suggestion. Also, the following passage has a lot of description in it and I don't know how necessary it is to keep all of it, because it gets rather tedious after a while.

not as comfortable as 4th position though… I was begging to feel light headed, blood rushed to my head like a river.

This casualness in the narrator's voice ruins the flow of the piece, in my opinion. She's said everything rather solidly up until her divergence about 'fourth position'. {Also, you should spell out numbers!} The word 'begging' should be 'beginning', and I don't know that a river of blood rushing to one's head would leave said person alive. Why was blood rushing to her head anyways? Was she bent over to tie her pointe shoes /still/? Perhaps clarify.

I will see you two times a week, more if I need you, less if I don’t. On Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Is that all right?”

Seems like a rather brash way to make a business deal. Did Degas commonly snatch dancers off the street without resistance? Why did the narrator agree so willingly and without any doubts?

I ran home, dodging people; of who gave me looks, I apologized to them.

I ran home, dodging the people that obstructed my path. I apologized to those who gave me looks.
Also, you might specify the type of 'looks' or just expand upon that sentence to make it clearer. ^_^

“Posing for Monsieur Degas. I answered coolly. Searching around the kitchen and finally picking up a carrot to peel.

Please note the punctuation errors in this sentence and be sure to edit your work before posting it.

Genevieve was 19 and a professional.

A professional what? Also, if this is planned to be the end of the story, perhaps lengthy introductions aren't necessary. If, however, you plan to write more, then it's fine. ^_^

My family like so many before the war of 1871, was refined and elegantly dressed, lived in charming houses and had servants. Also, my father had died some months after the war, so we were, “as poor as rats”, to me.

I can't help but notice that you claim they are refined and elegantly dressed, then that they are poor. Either they are well-off and can afford good clothing, a house, etc., or they are not. Haha, you need to choose one.

Then, you state that she shares her bedroom with Genevieve /twice/, so one of those sentences can be removed.

I gave myself up to, longing for transformation, at night, when all of Paris was asleep; my mind would be alive with friends as dear to me as any in the real world. Writing and dancing was my escape from everything in this world.

This passage is hard to read, but I feel it would be the most moving passage in the work if you could put it together properly. I can't even grasp the specific meaning that you meant, but I'm sure it's lovely and will be lovely when you refine it.

All in all, I enjoyed this piece and think that by cleaning it up it will sparkle even brighter! Thank you for sharing!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 pm
Kakali says...

Simply wonderful, I loved it. The story was great! A little nit-picking.

The lights dimmed in the Palace Garner Opera house, all the talking from the gentlemen and high class ladies, hushed.

Was it just the high-class peolple?, explain.

The foyer de la dance was crowded with dancers quickly changing into different costumes, re-applying there make-up, fixing hairdo’s, and re-tying pointe shoes.

Its "their makeup", not "there makeup."

Sending chills into your bones; I hugged my brown wool coat tighter around my chest as I walked up Rue de la Chausses d’Antin toward Place Pigalle.

I'm not sure that a ";" goes there, I think a comma is needed.

Good story, but it needs more of a first person point of veiw, it almost sounds like a second veiw point to me. *Gold star*
LONG LIVE LOVE

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 am
cheese9975 says...

Phew! Finally got around to finishing reviewing this for you... sorry!

The lights dimmed in the Palace Garner Opera house, all the talking from the gentlemen and high class ladies, hushed. Scrap that comma before hushed. The Opera house was ghostly silent as the red, heavy, curtain swept across the stage as the dancers took to the stage to dance the second act of, ‘Coppelia.’ You used "stage" twice in one sentence, I would suggest reworking it a little bit.

They wore bright colors such as red sashes, black fans with gold tassels at the end of it. Along with pink trousers and danced their hearts out. This act was when Swanhilda and her friends went into Dr. Coppeliaus shop and wind up all of the dolls and create havoc on Dr. Coppeliaus. I, Marie Picard, played one of Swanhilda’s friends.
How about rewording this, the description is a bit choppy and confusing. I think, " They wore bright colors, red sashes, black fans, and gold tassels along with pink trousers as they danced their hearts out." or something along those lines would flow better.

The act was finished and I rushed off to change into my street clothes.
Could you elaborate a little more here? Why don't you describe how she felt once she got off stage. Did she have a rush from performing? Don't worry, I often get caught up in my story and leave out a lot of description, too. It's hard to know where to put it in and where to take it out.

By doing the simple acts of taking off my costume, walking over to the attendance, in my corset, and petticoats, handing it to her, I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer, to a girl living and dreaming, in poverty.
I think it could sound better if you simplified it. Something like, "By simply taking off my costume and hanging it up, I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer to a girl living and dreaming in poverty." Rework it however you like, or leave it, it's all in your hands, m'dear.

But he never acknowledged me.
Say what? He just did acknowledge you! This is a tad confusing.

How would you feel about being a model for me? “he announced, turning on his heel and paraded up the street in long strides.
Don't use "announce" here, it doesn't really describe it well, announce is better for when the person is talking to multiple people.

My mother had beautiful pieces of material to make dresses; she was in the middle of teaching Genevieve and I.
Who's Genevieve?

I just got to shy and stared at the ground, practicing my releve’s and turnouts.
This is kind of awkwardly phrased. How about, "I would become shy and ...." ?

Okay, this was solid! Just fix up these few things and it'll be pretty good. Let me know when you post the next part! It might help you to read it out loud while your editing, then you'll spot some of the weird phrasing and repair it yourself. Don't worry, I do this all the time, we all do!

-Shannon
Last edited by cheese9975 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:10 am
JustDance says...

ballerina13 wrote:Chapter 1
The Opera
The lights dimmed in the Palace Garner Opera house, all the talking from the gentlemen and high class ladies,[b]no need for a comma. hushed.(How they were decked out in jewels, fans, silks, and top hats, with one look you could tell with one look(should go here) that they were of 'good society'). The Opera house was ghostly silent as the red, heavy, curtain swept across the stage as the dancers took to the stage to dance the second act of, ‘Coppelia.’
They wore bright colors such as red sashes,and black fans with gold tassels at the end of it. Along with pink trousers include this with the previous sentence and danced their hearts out. This act was when Swanhilda and her friends went into Dr. Coppeliaus's shop and wind up all of the dolls and create havoc on Dr. Coppeliaus. I, Marie Picard, played one of Swanhilda’s friends.
The act was finished and I rushed off to change into my street clothes.
The foyer de la dance was crowded with dancers quickly changing into different costumes, re-applying their make-up, fixing hairdo’s, and re-tying pointe shoes. By doing the simple acts of taking off my costume, walking over to the attendance, in my corset, and petticoats, handing it to her, I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer, to a girl living and dreaming,no need for comma in poverty.
My blue dress swished from my hoopskirt underneath it.My black shoes made a soft crunch with every step that I took. Snow blew down every street corner, sending chills into my bones inot my bones? that doesn't really make sense. Try to rephrase it, like maybe "sent a chill down my spine?". I hugged my brown wool coat tighter to not around my chest as I walked up Rue de la Chausses d’Antin toward Place Pigalle. The street was steep and iced over in some places, making it hard to walk.
“Blast!” I groaned as I lost my balance, and fell onto the cold cobblestones. I dropped my pink pointe shoes and sat there on the ground for a few minutes, mentally and physically tired. I felt like crying, but bit my lip to stop it from quivering.
“Excuse me, mademoiselle, do you need some assistance?” A deep voice asked me.But he never acknowledged: realize, that does not go in the sentence. me.

I looked up and saw a figure in a dark coat, tall silk hat, who was carrying a note-book under his left arm. He had black hair and a goatee that clung to his chin. Everyone knew who this man was, Monsuier Degas. He was present at rehearsals, afternoon classes and performances. He would sit in the corner of the class rooms or in the wings of the foyer de la dance, no need for comma sketching us, while we sat on a bench resting or when we would flop down on the ground and adjust our Pointe shoes .Never when we were beautiful dancers. He wanted to show us when we were being our true selves. I liked that about him because he was showing the world the real dancers, mixing exhaustion and passion into it as well.indent..during a convo so liek this:
“No, thank-you. I am all right.” I assured him, getting up off the ground. He smiled a rough, kind, smile and looked down at the ground at my Pointe shoes. “I have seen you work, you are extraordinary; one of the best that I have seen in a long time; How would you feel about being a model for me? “he announced, turning on his heel and paraded up the street in long strides.
" Yes, I would be honored!" I told him. " Excellent." He said, as he turned on his heel and started to walk again. I got up again, only to sli and fall down again.“Blast these wretched skirts!” I mumbled, scarmbling up to street.
We walked up the streets a ways, to Rue Frochot. Monsieur Degas stopped at a green, chipped door with the number 4, on it. We walked up the flights of stairs until we got to the fifth landing. He opened the door. The studio was very similar to the Opera house. The walls were a cream color and there were very few paintings up; the studio already looked very cluttered and busy, so I guess few paintings was alright. It had dust tutus, Pointe shoes. But, there was also, a zinc bathtub; well-loved books; stools; a small piano, a violin and other instruments. There was a window on the far side of the studio. Along side of the window, laid up-against the wall was paintings in gold frames, some not in frames at all. Also, a worktable covered with used and new, tubs of paint, brushes, and lumps of clay, lose paper, sketches not yet finished. His cloak and top hat were still on when he told me to go and change into a tutu and put Pointe shoes on. I slipped my boots off and put them by the door, as we did at home. I went over to the bin and sorted through the dusty, worn-out, tutus. I decided on one with a yellow ribbon; my favorite color.
I changed behind the screen fairly quickly, walked to the model stand and began to tie my Pointe shoes.” Hold that pose”. He barked. I was bent down in second position, a position that I was very comfortable in, not as comfortable as 4th position though… I was begging to feel light headed, blood rushed to my head like a river.
For about an hour, I was in that pose. To get the pain off my mind, I thought of pretty ball gowns with lace, silk and hoopskirts. My mother had beautiful pieces of material to make dresses; she was in the middle of teaching Genevieve and I. We usually spent our time at night sewing, reading or just talking. Finally, Monsieur Degas said, “That is all, thank-you. I will see you two times a week, more if I need you, less if I don’t. On Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Is that all right?”
“Yes, it is fine. Thank-you”, I said, looking down at my pointe shoes.
I nodded and smiled.
Once I slipped on my petticoats, hoopskirt, and corset, I pulled on my blue poplin dress, and stepped out behind the screen, Mousier Degas resumed telling me the dull information.”3 francs, each time you come. What is your name dear?”
A smile fell across my rosy face and I rushed down the steps. The air was cool and the wind crisp. It refreshed me as I skipped. The sun was setting and the sky looked gray, the clouds a soft shade of blue-black. I ran home, dodging people; of who gave me looks, I apologized to them.

“Marie, darling, where have you been?”Momma asked me from the kitchen once I had stepped through the door to our apartment.
“Truly, Marie?” Genevieve asked, while she peeled potatoes.
Genevieve was 19 and a professional dancer at the Opera. She was bubbly and charming with blond hair and bright blue eyes and a lovely smile. I envied her with the way she talked to people and how she held her self. Head held high, with a smile on her face all the time. Also, Genevieve was always happy and fun, even while she was being elegant. When I was in front of people talking I always said the wrong thing or was as quiet as a mouse. Seen but never heard. I just got to shy and stared at the ground, practicing my releve’s and turnouts. You see, it is interesting because, I would hear people whisper to their friends or relatives,” I never hear her talk!” I wished that I could get over my shyness.
“Yes!” I replied excitedly.
My family like so many before the war of 1871, was refined and elegantly dressed, lived in charming houses and had servants. Also, my father had died some months after the war, so we were, “as poor as rats”, to me since then. We lived comfortably but, I wished we could go back to the way we were before. “Marie, will you help me with the dishes?” She smiled at me. “Yes, momma.” She handed me a towel.” Thank-you for helping me.” Momma told me as she sponged down a dish. I nodded,” It is no trouble. I enjoy it.”
I retired to my bedroom that I shared with Genevieve.
The stars and moon shone brightly through the window in the room as if a beckon hope to those souls how were lost. The window pane was frosted over, weak light from the moon poured through it. The sky was a dark, beautiful blue. I lit a candle and sat down at my writing desk. This was piled over with short stories, quill pens, empty bottles of ink. I gave myself up to, longing for transformation, at night, when all of Paris was asleep; my mind would be alive with friends as dear to me as any in the real world. Writing and dancing was my escape from everything in this world.

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 am
JustDance says...

re read your story..i added tips. =]

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 am
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Ballerina13. I really enjoyed reading this! I am a dancer myself and it helped that I could relate to the story. I think that the other reviewers caught most of the mistakes, so I'll just tell you what I thought of the story so far.

Plot:
Yay! Ballet! I liked the plot but you definitely could have drawn out some of the scenes. For example, you could elaborate on the part where Marie is dancing in Coppelia (I love that ballet!). You described what was going on in the story but it was basically an info dump. What were the dancers doing? Turns? Jumps? Were they moving slowly or quickly? Were they sweating from the exertion of the complicated choreography coupled with the bright stage lights? How did Marie feel as she danced? Ok, I think you get my point. You should also elaborate on the scene where Marie meets Monsieur Degas and when she is being painted. For me, that scene was odd because one second Monsieur Degas (Edgar Degas? The famous French painter?) was talking with Marie on the street and the next second she is modeling for him. Woah. Slow this down. How does Marie feel? This is a famous man whom she randomly meets on the street! is she surprised? Use detail! Show us how Marie feels through her actions, words, and thoughts.

Characters:
I sort of covered this in my last paragraph (oops, got a little carried away!). Overall, we need emotion. We need some feelings and we need some description. What does Marie even look like?

Grammar and Fluency:
You had a bunch of mistakes with commas but other than that I think you did a great job! I'm pretty sure the other reviewers caught most of your punctuation mistakes. Well done! Parts of your story were a bit awkward and choppy but it wasn't bad.

Overall, I liked this! Now I'm off to read the second chapter. Once, again: Great job. If you have any questions about my review or anything else, please feel free to PM me.

-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Hey there Ballerina! Your story's pretty good...I'm going to go over the nitpicks first, concept stuff is at the bottom...All of my comments are in caps...:P
ballerina13 wrote:Chapter 1
The Opera
The lights dimmed in the Palace Garner Opera house, all the talking from the gentlemen and high class ladies, hushed.(How they were decked out in jewels, fans, silks, and top hats, with one look you could tell that they were of 'good society'). The Opera house was ghostly silent as the red, heavy, curtain swept across the stage as the dancers took to the stage to dance the second act of, ‘Coppelia.’
They wore bright colors such as red sashes, black fans with gold tassels at the end of it while they danced their hearts out. This act was when Swanhilda IS IT JUST ME OR IS IT SPELLED AS SWANILDA? and her friends went into Dr. Coppeliaus shop and wind up all of the dolls and create havoc on Dr. Coppeliaus. Some of the dancers wh owere ITS SUPPOSED TO BE WHO WERE the dolls were stading ITS SUPPOSED TO BE STANDING up as straight as stone while others ran about the stage, doing jetes and pique turns; flitting about like faries. FAIRIES HAS AN I IN IT I, Marie Picard, played one of Swanhilda’s friends.
As the act ended I heard the excitement of the applause defen IT'S SPELLED AS DEAFEN as I rushed off to change into my street clothes so the third act could begin. My slim face was flushed due to the excitement of performing. When I danced on stage, it was like I was a bird that had just escaped from it's cage, stretcing ITS SPELLED AS STRETCHING her wings and singing a happy tune.
The foyer de la dance was crowded with dancers quickly changing into different costumes, re-applying their make-up, fixing THERE'S AN EXTRA SPACE OVER HERE... hairdo’s, and re-tying pointe shoes. By doing the simple act of taking off my costume, and hanging it up. I transformed myself from a beautiful dancer, to a girl living and dreaming, in poverty.
My blue dress swished from FROM ISN'T THE RIGHT WORD my hoopskirt underneath it. My black shoes made a soft crunch with every brisk step that I took. Snow blew down every street corner, sending chills into my bones. I hugged my brown wool coat tighter around my chest, as I walked up Rue de la Chausses d’Antin toward Place Pigalle. The street was steep and iced over in some places, making it hard to walk.
“Blast!” I groaned as I lost my balance, and fell onto the cold cobblestones. I dropped my pink pointe shoes and sat there on the ground for a few minutes, mentally and physically tired. I felt like crying, but bit my lip to stop it from quivering. I shook my head as Itried THERE SHOULD BE A SPACE BETWEEN I AND TRIED,but failed to get up.
“Excuse me, mademoiselle, do you need some assistance?” A deep voice asked. I looked up and saw a figure in a dark coat, tall silk hat, who was carrying a note-book under his left arm. He had black hair and a goatee that clung to his chin. Everyone ITALICIZE EVERYONE? knew who this man was, Monsuier Degas. He was present at rehearsals, afternoon classes and performances. He would sit in the corner of the class rooms or in the wings of the foyer de la dance, sketching us while we sat on a bench resting or when we would flop down on the ground and adjust our pointe shoes .Never when we were beautiful dancers. He wanted to show true beauty. I liked that about him because he was showing the world the real dancers, mixing exhaustion and passion into it as well.
“No, thank-you. THERE SHOULDN'T BE A HYPHEN BETWEEN THE WORD THANK AND THE WORD YOU... I am all right.” I assured him, getting up off the ground. He smiled a kind, NO COMMA IN BETWEEN KIND AND SMILE smile and looked down at the ground at my pointe shoes. “I have seen you work, you are extraordinary; one of the best that I have seen in a long time How would you feel about being a model for me? “he asked.
" Yes, I would be honored!" I told him. " Excellent." He said, as he turned on his heel and started to walk again. I got up again, only to sli IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SLIP and fall down again.“Blast these wretched skirts!” I mumbled, scarmbling IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SCRAMBLING up to street. THERE ARE TOO MANY AND'S IN THIS PARAGRAPH
We walked up the streets a ways, to Rue Frochot. THE PERIOD SHOULD BE A COMMA... (He had not said a word to me since we left.) THE PERIOD SHOULD BE AFTER THE PARANTHESES... Monsieur Degas stopped at a green, chipped door with the number 4, NO COMMA HERE on it. We walked up the flights of stairs until we got to the fifth landing. He opened the door. The studio was very similar to the Opera house. The walls were a cream color and there were very few paintings up; the studio already looked very cluttered and busy, so I guess SHOULD THERE BE AN "A" HERE? few paintings was alright. It had dust DUSTY? tutus, dead pointe shoes. But, there was also, a zinc bathtub along with well-loved books sitting on top of stools; a small piano, a violin and other instruments. There was a window on the far side of the studio. Along side of the window, laid up- NO HYPHEN HERE against the wall was paintings in gold frames, some not in frames at all. Also, a worktable covered with used and new tubs of paint, all the colors you could imagine, brushes, and lumps of dried up clay, loose paper, and sketches not yet finished. His cloak and top hat were still on when he told me to go and change into a tutu and put Pointe shoes on. I slipped my boots off and put them by the door, as we did at home. I went over to the bin and sorted through the dusty, worn-out,NO COMMA HERE tutus. I decided on one with a yellow ribbon; SHOULDN'T THIS BE A COMMA? my favorite color.
I changed behind the screen fairly quickly, walked to the model stand and bent down to tie my pointe shoes."Hold that pose” THIS SHOULD BE A COMMA WITHIN THE PARANTHESES AND HE SHOULDN'T BE CAPITALIZED... He barked. I was down in second position, a position that I was very comfortable in, not as comfortable as 4th position though… I was begging to feel light headed LIGHTHEADED IS ONE WORD...due to the fact that my hed IT'S HEAD was bent down, blood rushed to my head like a river, making my face red.
For about an hour, I was in that pose. To get the pain off my mind, I thought of pretty ball gowns with lace, silk and hoopskirts. My mother had beautiful pieces of material to make dresses with; she was in the middle of teaching Genevieve of whom ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE WHO? was my sister, and I. We usually spent our time at night sewing, reading or just talking.
Finally, Monsieur Degas said, “That is all, thank-you NO HYPHEN HERE..... I will see you two times a week, more if I need you, less if I don’t. On Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Is that all right?”
“Yes, it is fine. Thank-you”, COMMA SHOULD BE IN THE PARANTHESES I said, looking down at my pointe shoes.
I nodded and smiled.
A smile fell across my rosy face and I rushed down the steps. The air was cool and the wind crisp. It refreshed me as I skipped. The sun was setting and the sky looked gray, the clouds a soft shade of blue-black. I ran home, dodging people; of who gave me looks, I apologized to them. THE LAST SENTENCE IS PHRASED AWKWARDLY...PLAY AROUND WITH IT, POSSIBLY DELETE THE SEMICOLON?
with hnts IT'S SPELLED AS HINTS... of lavender making there way into the 'illusion'.
“Marie, darling, where have you been?”Momma asked me from the kitchen once I had stepped through the door to our town house.
“Truly, Marie?” My sister Genevieve asked, while she peeled potatoes.
Genevieve was 19 and a professional dancer at the Opera. She was bubbly and charming with blond hair and bright blue eyes and a lovely smile. I envied her with the way she talked to people and how she held her self. Head held high, with a smile on her face all the time. Also, Genevieve was always happy and fun, even while she was being elegant. When I was in front of people talking I always said the wrong thing or was as quiet as a mouse. Seen THERE SHOULD BE A COMMA HERE... but never heard. I was to shy and just stood there staring at the ground, practicing my releve’s and turnouts. You see, it is interesting because, NO COMMA HERE I would always say that I was not scared but deep down, I was terrified. “Yes!” I replied excitedly.
My family like so many before the war of 1871, once was refined and elegantly dressed, lived in a charming house and had servants. Also, my father had died some months after the war, so we were, “as poor as rats”, to me since then. We lived comfortably COMMA HERE but, I wished we could go back to the way we were before. Back to having a whole family. “Marie, will you help me with the dishes?” Mother smiled at me. “Yes, momma.” She handed me a towel.” Thank-you for helping me.” Momma told me as she sponged down a dish. I nodded,” It is no trouble. I enjoy it.”
I retired to my bedroom that I shared with Genevieve.
The stars and moon shone brightly through the window in the room as if a beckon hope to those souls how were lost. The window pane was frosted over, weak light from the moon poured through it. The sky was a dark, beautiful blue. I lit a candle and sat down at my writing desk. It was piled over with short stories, quill pens,and empty bottles of ink. I gave myself up to, longing to better myself. At night, when all of Paris was asleep; my mind would be alive with friends as dear to me as any in the real world. Writing and dancing was my escape from everything in this world.

Alright Ballerina, I'm done with the nitpicks...so it's concept time

~Developing characters - I'm impressed, I really like how you developed the MC and made us understand her. I would develop the character of Genevieve, the mother, and Monsieur Degas a lot more, though. Genevieve, in particular, seems interesting to explore...
~Flow - It's really good at some parts and not so good at others. I liked the beginning with the imagery. But, after the first paragraph, you started to tell what is happening instead of showing it. Everything seemed to go in a logical order, but it is a little choppy at places, especially when she is in Monsieur Degas' studio...
~Grammar/Spelling - I had a bunch of problems with the mechanics of this piece which I've fixed in the quote...
~Theme - I think this is a really good theme and it is different, which makes it a lot more interesting to read. However, I feel like a lot happened in this chapter. It isn't that long and it feels like a lot of things are crammed into it...Maybe add more detail about the play and exactly how she feels about the modelling job and make that Ch. 1...Then, make her return to the family and their reactions Ch. 2? I just don't think there are enough details...
~Setting - Wow, I am amazed. It was excellent the way you managed to sound so quaint and old-fashioned. It felt like it was really set in the 1800s so exceellent job with that...

Overall Ballerina, this is a good story. You should add a lot more detail. I think that you should DEFINITELY continue this into a story...
PM me if you have any questions

fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:37 am
indigochild1991 says...

Hello!!

I love your plot line-classic!

You have quite a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, but I can see that people have already pointed those out!

Your characterisation is brilliant! You could even draw that out a bit.

I love your writing style-when I started to read, it got me hooked, and I wanted to read on! Well done there!!

It's a lovely story, and your writing style suits it brilliantly!

I look forward to reading some more of this!
'Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night'-Edgar Allan Poe

'Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent'-Eleanor Roosevelt

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 am
Twit says...

Hi!

This was really interesting! I thought at first that was going to be about Marie who modelled for Degas's dancer model, but she had a different name. Or is this based on her? You seem to know ballet, which is good. :)

Your over style was a bit choppy at times, not as smooth as it could have been. As this is in first person, you have to be careful when letting us know what your character looks like. Saying "my slim face" or "my rosy face" is unrealistic, and makes Marie sound proud and smug. We know that she's a ballerina, so we already get a mental image of what her body shape is like. Other details like hair and eyes and freckles and whatever can be added later on.

Marie seems a bit modern, though. Saying "blast" when she falls over isn't very fitting with a Victorian girl, even a poor one. You give the impression that she's come down in the world, so she's probably have more manners than that. And she goes into Degas' house without a blink -- what about a chaperone or something?

And Degas seems too kind -- he was erportedly grumpy and critical, partrly because of his eyesight problems.

It was enjoyable, just work on those points! :)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:38 pm
hannahbelle214 says...

I love the plot line and how beautifully your story is written. The conversaion is really brought in the story. The characters have a lot of potential. You should probably fix the grammar and mistakes and you should definitley keep writing because I think you could take this to a publishing house.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm
Angelheart says...

this is very good i cant wait to read the next chapter
love is not what you can hold its what you feel in your heart for the ones you love

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 pm
Piper says...

Ummm, is this a fanfic? Because I may as well be reading Marie dancing...
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 pm
June3 says...

I LOVED this story! mainly because I'm a dancer myself. I enjoyed how it takes place in France, and all the ballet terms were used, and spelled correctly. There are some grammatical errors here and there, but if you read over it I'm sure you'll know which ones I'm talking about. Again, I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! Don't stop writing this book!
There once was a women named Kent,
Whose nose was rather quite bent.
One day I suppose,
She followed her nose,
And nobody knows where she went.
-Unknown

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart