z

Young Writers Society

Pretty Little Rags and Bones [Part One]

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:25 am
Sam says...

I know the German's pretty awful- it was pretty much me and a wörterbuch and my textbook. ^_~ Do tell me if it's completely and utterly off; the first one translates to 'The boy has lit a match', and the second, "He spoke nonsense."

Anyway, any and all comments appreciated. ^_^

___

Das Junge hatte ein Streichholz angezündet.

Holger was standing at the window with his hands at his sides, bandages falling from his forearms like greasy streamers, the flesh beneath his nails purple with cold. The hospital gown was a flimsy, flimsy thing- something scratchy and thin with more resemblance to paper than cloth.

The nurse tapped at the door with her pen and stepped in from the hallway, a roll of cloth in her arms. She was short, much too short, with shoes much too big for her- they shuffled behind her as she walked forward. Her uniform hung off of her like window curtains; corpse-gray to match her cheeks.

She gestured to his arms. “We will put on,” she said.

“They hurt.”

“No hurt.”

“It’s very itchy.”

“Itchy? This is meaning….”

Holger held up his hand and scratched the back of it, creating angry little red streaks.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. Strands of dull blonde hair fell out from underneath her cap and drifted to the floor. “Not ‘itchy’. We will put on.”

The nurse took his fingers between her hands and rubbed back and forth, tsking and muttering.

When she had let go he sat on the edge of the bed and sighed, watching her grasping at a small box- his box. There was a padlock on the front. The key was round her neck, and when she stuck it into the lock there was a small click and then, for a moment, near-reverent silence.

Seven small vials of creams were arranged in scrap-paper packaging, held upright so they would not leak. Seven small vials that the rest of the hospital did not know existed; seven small vials given to him directly from the Kommandant.

“You are a good boy, Holger. You have made your family proud. You have made Germany proud.”

They were expensive- a fistful of Marks, each. Things the others would kill for.

The nurses’ shoes struck the floor with a loud clap, and they both jumped. She muttered something in Polish and bid him hold out his arms whilst she peeled the bandages away, her arms winding, spiraling around his.

____

Er sprach Quatsch.

Juliek had never had a mother.

He had never had a father, either- or sisters, or brothers. Or grandparents. It had always been just Juliek, by himself.

He didn’t mind this. It was easier, being alone- no one to stare or ask questions or tell you to stop fidgeting.

Juliek lived in the closet of Mrs. Feingold’s dead husband. It was warm, but dusty and full of moths and spiders. They’d sleep on Juliek when he slept, and then they’d all awake and disperse, like many of the real families in town- leaving for work in motorcars and walking to school with lunchpails and then all coming back as the sun was setting, greeting each other with kisses and dinner plates.

The spiders never brought kisses and dinner plates. That was the only different thing- Mrs. Feingold brought dinner plates, but she was shifty and nervous and always had red lipstick on her teeth. Her house was dark, with the shutters drawn- she dressed up, made up every day, with barely enough light to guide her brushes.

Juliek was certain Mrs. Feingold was dead – her neighbors buried in a heap of rubble, naught but rag and bone beneath books, scriptures, fallen timber.

He had been down by the river the day the men with broken crosses on their arms had come to town, guns to their shoulders. The door to Mrs. Feingold’s house had been open, shutters withdrawn. A few of them were on their knees in her bedroom, pulling jewelry from drawers and putting it into piles of gold, of silver, of gemstone.

Mrs. Feingold was crying. Juliek couldn’t see her, but could hear her- she was in his closet, hands tied together with rope.

“Frowny crossmen been bleeding you?”

“Go away, boy. Hide.”

“Hide-hide, cover eyes?”

Her breath shuddered and she nodded, eyes pouring.

One of the men turned round, a pearl necklace falling between his fingers. “Who are you talking to?” He had a rough voice; foreign. He raised his gun.

“He’s nothing, he can’t speak…he’s an idiot. Don’t hurt him.”

“He must be miserable, being undesirable- wouldn’t it be better?”
Her voice was gasping, weak. “Oh, no, he is happy, so happy! Don’t hurt him. Please, don’t hurt him.”

The gun kicked into his shoulder and fired, missing Juliek entirely. It instead hit the ceiling where it bore long, spidery cracks that spread and spread, leaving plaster snowing for long afterward.

Mrs. Feingold began to sob.

Juliek shuffled quickly down the stairwell and out into the street, where he sat and brushed dust from his hair.

A motorcar soon came rolling along and honked. He got up and scuttled away to the alcove in front of the synagogue- a small room filled with coats, hanging from bars, from chairs. He sunk to the ground and pulled one around his shoulders- a woman’s, with fur. It smelled of perfume.

Someone was singing. Juliek pressed his ear to the door and listened hard: to the breathing and occasional wails of babies and of muttering in a strange language he couldn’t quite make out.

He heard the first screams, but he did not see who lit the match.
Last edited by Sam on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:49 am
Evangelina says...

Hmm. Being part German myself--well, the name at least ;)--I was looking forward to this. I think it's wayy to short to get your full meaning out.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

1258 Reviews

Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:06 am
Sam says...

Ah, don't worry- it's the first part of quite a few. I think around five, six thousand words...? But if the sections are too short, please tell me so I can fix them. ^_^

Thanks for the read, Eva!

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:06 am
Emerson says...

Samichan, Darling. Je te deteste.... I hope you can make that out, chérie?

The nurses’ shoes struck the floor with a loud clap, and they both jumped. She muttered something in Polish and bid him to hold out his arms whilst she peeled the bandages away, her arms winding, spiraling around his.

It had always been Just Juliek, by himself.
"just" was randomly capitalized.

He got off and scuttled [s]off[/s] to the alcove in front of the synagogue- a small room filled with coats, hanging from bars, from chairs.
I'm not sure if that is what you meant? But in any case, it's weird. Fix it.

Juliek pressed his ear to the door and listened hard; to the breathing and occasional wails of babies and of muttering in a strange language he couldn’t quite make out.
Oddness with the semicolon there, I'm not sure would it would be. A colon? It doesn't work as is.

Mon Dieu, Je te deteste avec tout de moi-même! Yes, rambling at you in French is out of habit.

Seriously though, can you teach me brilliance, or must I eat you to have you? I've always liked the old myths of being able to gain your enemies strength by eating them... This was beautiful, Sam. I can't pick on anything. I can understand the setting in the most beautiful way, I want more now. You ended on the most impressive note, leading us on to the next chapter, commanding and begging that we read more. This is so little and so superb. Your description of everything are perfect. When you write, I see things and feel things and the people are real and everything is real, and ack, I hate you! Your characters are alive and 3D no matter how long I've known them for. What is it about your writing?

You amaze me, darling. Give me more or I will be forced to consume your brain. If you must, email me nasty drafts! I'd love it. We can fight with words. Continue to be brilliant.

PS: if you would like some random Polish phrases I can try to gather some for you?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:09 am
Evangelina says...

Hmmm. Oh this is good, this is very good. The dialogue could be worked on, perhaps add description. You have very few errors, so I won't be nitpicky.

EDIT: Clau, you said Je te deteste. Doesn't that mean I hate?
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:32 am
Esmé says...

Okay, so I suppose it’s a bit obvious why this caught my attention, yes? Pole, here ^_^ I rarely wander into the History section, but, well, here I am!

Quote:
They were expensive- a fistful of Marks, each.

At first it wasn’t entirely clear to me, and I had to reread it. Add, perhaps, a bit more details, or merge it with the bit above? Oh, but it might just be me.

Quote:
Her house was dark, with the shutters drawn- she dressed up, made up every day, with barely enough light to guide her brushes.

There’s a lot of the ‘-’ (and yes, in my brilliance I forgot how it is called). While it’s an interesting accent, and does really marvelous things, there are so many of them.

But I loved the whole piece, your descriptions the most. They’re brilliant. Anyway, I’m trying to find something, anything, un-brilliant, but you‘re giving me a hard time. The only thing that was the tiniest bit irritating was frequent usage of ‘-’, but I suppose it’s good.. (See comment above).

Hopefully I’ll se more of this,
Esmé

Evangelina: I think ‘Je te deteste’ means: I hate you. ^_^ In a positive sort of way.

1258 Reviews

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:23 pm
Sam says...

Hyphens. ^_~

Yes, I have an unhealthy addiction to them...I should go to Hyphen Rehab, non?

Anyway, thanks, Esmè! I will go through and slay a few so that it's less choppy.

- Demetri Martin

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 am
Areida says...

Honestly, there were times when I used to worry that someday you'd just run out of brilliance, but you're still as full of awesomeness and delicious prose as ever. This was a great start.

Couple of nitpicks/other thingies:

The hospital gown was a flimsy, flimsy thing - something scratchy and thin with more resemblance to paper than cloth.

I liked the descriptions up to this point. One "flimsy" is sufficient, I think. Keeps thinking moving along, rather than slowing down unnecessarily.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. Strands of dull blonde hair fell out from underneath her cap and drifted to the floor.

Ew, seriously? That happens? Why?

It was warm, but dusty and full of moths and spiders. They’d sleep on Juliek when he slept, and then they’d all awake and disperse, like many of the real families in town- leaving for work in motorcars and walking to school with lunchpails and then all coming back as the sun was setting, greeting each other with kisses and dinner plates.

Creepy, disgusting, and vaguely disturbing... yet somehow touching. Skills, Sambo.

You know I'm never constructive when it comes to your work. I just like it all. Publish some stuff for me so I can take it with me in book form, okay? Things are just better when they're in print.

Great work as usual, you unfairly talented little brat. ;)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:21 am
Leja says...

I adore your descriptions. You certainly have an ear for them because there's a lovely balance of description and action. The only thing that stood out was this phrase:

She muttered something in Polish and bid him hold out his arms whilst she peeled the bandages away, her arms winding, spiraling around his.

Something about the "winding, spiraling" seemed almost choppy, and then especially because that's where it ends. But then I read it again, and it sounds spiral-ing-ly distant, like a nice trailing off way to end the passage. Well, read it over and see if it catches your eye.

In the second part, so many sentences begin with "Juliek [action]..." that it's a little tiring after a while.

I shall be looking for more, ya? Because, see, now I'm interested in what's going to happen. A nagging little problem when I read things :wink:

1258 Reviews

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:48 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Thanks, guys! *vaguely forgot she had posted*

I'm attempting to fix up the second part right now, as it's giving me a fair bit of trouble. ^_^ Thanks for the suggestions for the first- I'll probably get to those first.

- Demetri Martin

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:58 pm
chocoholic says...

I liked it. I didn't see any spelling or gramatical mistakes, but I did wonder why they were speaking in English, and why the nurse couldn't understand Hoger. Or did you just write it in English and they were supposed to be speaking German?

And why does Juliek live in a closet with a dead man? I don't get that.

Apart from those few things it was good. Your characters seem well developed and I'd really like to read more of this.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:48 pm
ThanatosPrinciple says...

I thought it was well done but a few things confused me. One, it took me an extra minute to figure out what a "fistful of Marks" was. You should make that more clear. Also the foreign language should be more clear. What does it mean? What language is it? Things like that.
With this magical drrrink I shall RULE THE WORLD! Mwhahahaha!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:38 pm
Pickle810 says...

Well, I'm Jewish, so I checked this out hoping it'd be a WWII story. I'm into those, no matter how depressed they make me. Something about the tone of this story reminded me of the WWII diaries from Jewish or non-Jew children in Germany, Poland, and other occupied places. Maybe it was Juliek being in the closet: one of the most famous diarieshas some kid locked in a closet for a long time, except in that the person who owns the closet is really evil.

Anyway, great work. I feel like I'm there, watching, you've got a great writing style!
me: why can we kill for Jesus and not Muhammed?
my best friend: because Jesus is white.
me: that's not fair!
her: and what is?

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot