z

Young Writers Society

DELETED

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 pm
DeadEndsAreOptional says...

*** This story is deleted -for the time being. Sorry.
Last edited by DeadEndsAreOptional on Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm
BondGirl007 says...

Hey DeadEnds!I'm Hope, and I'll be reviewing you today! :D

We were just getting out of the depression, getting back onto our feet and finding our place once again in this world. We were already poor, it had been a struggle just to get bread onto the table. We were one of the few families that did not make the move to California, or some other state during the Depression. We stayed where we were, it would have cost more then we had just to travel a few miles.
Mehh this is kind of an info dump, and what I don't really like about it is the fact that we haven't really been introduced to the character before it.

The Dust Bowl took many of our friends lives, and yet, we were still spared. Each day for us was a struggle, we ran on pure adrenaline- hoping to make it through the next day.
Adrenaline doesn't seem like the best word to describe what you're trying to convey, in my opinion. When you say adrenaline it brings to mind really high pressure situations, a lot of action and fear. Which doesn't really fit here does it?

He always looked after me. Maybe sometimes, a little too much. I was spoiled, always being able to get out of work. But our family was starving, the little ones were skin and bones. We were the only two people who brought food in. And I failed.
Ehhhh I have a problem with this. Like really if you're "hoping to make it through the next day" and watching your younger siblings starving, you really wouldn't slack off all the time. I just find it a little unrealistic. Most kids back then weren't spoiled, especially if they had like you said, nothing.

But anyway, those are my nitpicks! Good luck and keep writing!

~Hope
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm
megsug says...

Hey Deadends,
I didn't think you needed a preface, but this is cool, I suppose. There are a few things that don't match up historically.
If Stanely was five when the Depression, which was 1929, he wouldn't have been older than thirteen when the Dust Bowl ended. I can't remember how old he is in chapter one, but it's something like eighteen, right? Anyway, by 1941 the Depression was over. I would rethink his age at the time of the Depression. Even in a family hard pressed to find food, a thirteen year old wouldn't do much or feel like he had a lot of responsibility on shoulders. The Dust Bowl started in the early 30's. Most of my sources say 1931. It ended 1937. American troops weren't really sent over until after Pearl Harbor, which was 1942, but my history teachers say volunteers were sent over before that to help the Allies. I think, pilots especially, because of the Battle of Britian, which happened in 1940. Actual fighting between the Allies and the Axis Powers didn't start until 1939 where America was "neutral" during most of that time.
What I'm saying with all these dates is, you haven't really been matching up this whole time. Yes, the Depression and World War II are related and overlapped a bit, but not as much as you're saying.
Just try to use the dates I've given you and make a timeline. Your story is still possible. You're off to a great start. I would draw up a timeline with the main happenings of the Depression and WWII and what you're planning with the story. See if that helps.
I would give you a link, but I found the information from many sources, and they didn't all match up. The information I got is reliable though.
I don't want to push your story too much in one direction, so I'll let you figure out what age Stanley needs to be where.

DeadEndsAreOptional wrote:Each day for us was a struggle, we ran on pure adrenaline- hoping to make it through the next day.
I would use will power instead of adrenaline. The other reviewer already pointed it out.
I have something against hyphens. I really don't like them. You can keep it, if you want, but I would use a comma instead. It works just as well.

Father would do the work that I did not, or fixed the work I messed up.
This sentence sounds weird. I would say didn't instead or didn't do. To make it sound more realistic, coming from a farmboy's point of view I would use a contraction.

I was spoiled, always being able to get out of work. But our family was starving, the little ones were skin and bones. We were the only two people who brought food in.
I understand what you mean by spoiled, I think. It sounds that Stanley's dad really just went easy on him not really "spoiling him" in today's sense but letting him get out of things he shouldn't. I think it's fine. Sorry for the conflicting opinion.
I do wonder how he doesn't feel any guilt about his family starving, but you can work it out, I'm sure.
One more thing. I know you're tired of my history lesson, but the Dust Bowl really hit people who lived on farms as you hinted to before this. What is Stanley going to do to increase the food supply? There wouldn't be any real factories or anything to work at. I want to ask a question about the other chapters as well. Where are Stanley and his mom getting all these jobs. The area they were living in was very rural, especially with the Dust Bowl.

When the stock market fell, Father lost his job.
Here I'm confused. Most jobs were farm related. Most of it was subsistence farming, so he would have his own farm anyway. Maybe, you should do a little more research.

I never truly grew up, until the day in December 1941 that no one will ever forget.
And this time, I will not fail my family.
Very nice ending line.
I didn't see the date until I'd already typed all of this. His father was sent over seas in 1941. I'm going to leave all of those dates up there, in case you need to refer to something.
One more thing, I would like to see a childish side of Stanley. A personal choice, if I wrote historical fiction, would be to keep an immature side. That's just me. Do what you're planning.

It was fine. Compared to your first chapter it was... okay. PM me when you have a new part or seriously edit anything. I'll
be happy to review something or re-review it, if you need me to.
Megsug
Test

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 pm
DeadEndsAreOptional says...

Thanks for your reviews! Megsug - Thank you so much for pointing out the time period. I didn't realize I overlapped it too much. Oops. Anyway, I'll be sure to fix it. Also, thank you SO much for the part of Stanley and his Ma's jobs. I guess I didn't really think a lot on that.I'll do more research and fix on the mistakes.
And also, Megsug, please feel free to give me as much history lessons you want. It's very helpful.
~DeadEnds
"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:51 pm
MuffinMunch says...

It's kinda a bit much. I think it could stand to be stretched out a bit; it's a little too much information for such a little amount of text and it gets kind of confusing.
Also, you manage to mix really choppy sentences with tons of run-ons, and you generally use too many commas. This is a run-on: "We were already poor, it had been a struggle to get bread onto the table." The comma should be changed for a semicolon, dash, or just a period. You should vary your sentence structure more.

It was interesting, though, and I do want to (so, plan to) read more.
"Like on the inside, I'm made of clouds and floating eyes, green apples, and slowly rising men in bowler hats."

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso