z

Young Writers Society

The Diary Of Harriet McCully Chapter 1

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm
bugbug368 says...

"I really don’t want to leave you, Mother,” I cry, as I cling on to both Mum and Tommy.
“Harriet, I don’t want to leave you either, but this is for your own benefit, I’ll miss you loads, the two of you,” Mum jerks me and Tommy together, forcing us to hold hands.
“Will Daddy come and get us later, Mummy?” Tommy looks up.
Mum sighs. I knew the answer. I just didn’t want to devastate the broken little boy anymore.
“No, son. He’s… He’s at the war, babe. We don’t know when he’s going to come back, sweetie,” Mum kisses his small head, and guides us to the train, where we will be kept at a stranger's house for as long it will take for the second world war to be over.
Standing in the train station, holding my little brother's hand, was as frightening as it could ever be. I was surrounded by thousands of children, with labels attached to us as if we were parcels. Tommy doesn’t understand what’s going on, he’ll never understand. He’s only five, this is to much for a five year old. Let alone me. It's the Second World War, what is there to understand? There's so much going on, I haven't even got a clue on how this pathetic nonsence even started. Mum tells Tommy these men going out to fight is just for fun. She doesn't want to tell him Dad may die out there, it would be too hurtful for him. She says what he doesn't know won't hurt him.
As we pile up on the train, I feel a tear run down my cheek.
It's going to be Okay.... I repeated in my mind, as Tommy and I waved frantically to our mother as the train took off.

I'm Harriet, by the way. Harriet McCully. This is my diary I decided to keep during this time. There's a few things you should know about me before we continue. I live, or did live, in a fairly big house. It has around twelve bedrooms, six bathrooms and three kitchens. My Mum, Dad, brother and Grandparents all live in it together, like a happy family. That has all changed.
Dad never wanted to go out to the war. He seemed to enjoy his life in London, with us. But when my best friend, Alice's dad decided to go, he did too. I did all I could to persuade him to not go, I begged, made cakes and even asked Gran to help, but she refused, saying it would help his manliness. Who is she kidding? My father will never be manly. Mum always complains he needs to exercise more, but he never did it. No wonder he went out, with all the stick he got from on the streets. Everytime he would come home from work, with a handful of white feathers. Apparently they symbolise cowardness. My wonderful Dad is no coward to me. But nobody cares what I think, nobody listens to what I want to say. People are cruel, and I guess it will always stay that way.
Last edited by bugbug368 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody is more obsessed with Jedward than I am...
- bugbug368

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm
Sopster says...

Hey Bug!

Well, this is quite short so I can't really give a proper review but...I like it. This would make a good prologue for a novel rather than a first chapter. I especially like the last line but it should be 'This is the 1940's, everyone. And it's the second World War.
I'm eager to know what happens to the dad and where the children end up.

Keep writing!
-Sop. :)
We'd rather die with our bones of youth.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm
MisterThien says...

Why, hello there! :D

So the first thing I noticed about this piece of writing was its length. It's pretty short and as Sopster above said, I think it would be better if this was a prologue rather than the beginning chapter. Nevertheless, I shall review!

It's up to you, but I think some of the sentences would be much more effective if they were simple, rather like this:

Tommy doesn't understand what's going on. He'll never understand. He's only five, you see. And it's too much for a five year old. Let alone me.

Near the end, the tense changed from present to past. I'm not completely sure whether this was intentional or not, but it didn't sound right or fitted. But correct me if I'm wrong!

It's going to be Okay.... I repeated in my mind, as Tommy and I waved frantically to our mother as the train took off.

Also, this sentence below sounded a bit odd to me, though, it might just be me :D

Standing in the train station, holding my little brothers brother's hand, was as frightening as it could ever be.

There are a few grammatical mistakes, but these could easily be resolved if you have a quick look back over them again. One's corrected above, but here's another one:

... we will be kept at a strangers stranger's house...

I quite liked how you ended this with your last two lines, but I think they would've been more effective if you hadn't already told us that it was taken place during the Second World War ("...for as long it will take for the second world war to be over.") because it just sounds like awkward repetition.

Overall, I found this interesting. Yes, it's short, but it was effectively written too and that drew my attention. And I would like to know what happens next! So write, write, write!

- Thien :)
‎"I dream my paintings, then I paint my dreams" - Van Gogh

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm
Titan4ever says...

I like it a lot. You should add more to the first chapter though, and add more to catch the readers attention. Overall, it's a really good start.
-Titan4ever
"A day without sunshine is like, well, night."

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato