z

Young Writers Society

Prologue: Foreshadowed, just a little bit.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:20 pm
ItsADTR says...

There is something wrong in my family. We are the Hartfords, so you would probably think that I am lying. We own that big house on Mapleberry Avenue, where the sun shines down in all the front windows in the morning and there are trees lining the street. It’s just Mom, Dad, Easton, me, and Emmaline, in that nice order. Easton plays football, Emmaline can sing, and I paint.

After all, we are the Hartfords. Being talented, popular, and smart are just in our name. Mom and Dad are both scientists, well-known ones that go to balls and talk smart-people talk to other geniuses. Us three kids, well we do what kids do – go to high-end boarding schools and come home for lunch instead of eating the snazzy food at school.

Does this tell you anything about my life? It should. I am Delilah Skye Hartford, destined to be the painter that will have critics raving. But still, there is something wrong with my family. Have you guess it yet? If not, well, you will in a minute. Wait, maybe you did. But you just haven’t formed it into something bad. We, the Hartfords, are…

Serial killers?

Drug addicts?

Perfect?

Ding, ding, ding, you got it! We, the Hartfords, are perfect. That’s what is so wrong with us. Mom and Dad never had affairs with somebody else, Easton doesn’t cheat on tests, and Emmaline and I are brilliant young ladies who never stepped out of line, unlike some families.

Well, okay, we stepped out of line. Once. It wasn’t a big deal, but we had to. I mean, to preserve the life of Easton, Emmaline and I…well, we…we…

Never mind; let me tell you from the beginning.
Last edited by ItsADTR on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Our hearts are heavy burdens we don't have to bear alone ~ Go Radio, "Goodnight Moon"

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 pm
darknel says...

I like the describing of the mother and how you described it all good work please make some more soon.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 am
GrandmaMuffin says...

LUV IT <3 right. so. The description of the mom was really funny :D and the restaurant setting was good. lovely food. and poor autistic kid :( You could really feel the tension in the air when they started talking about the schools. Awesome. You kind of left the ending at a cliff hanger. You should add another chapter to find out how the siblings work out the emotional issue going on there. :)
If you expect the unexpected, wouldn't that make the unexpected the expected?
If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean the fifth enjoys it?

~EPICFAIL~

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:29 am
Rock n' Roll Queen says...

I loved all of the details. I had to wonder about nothing! which I often find to be a problem with other people's writings. They always have me wondering. But I love this story, keep it up.
"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" -Lao-Tzu

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm
briggsy1996 says...

Hey There!

I really like the way you've opened up your story- right away I can sense that the narrator is down to earth and that always helps- especially in a prologue, because often I find Prologues to be boring and sometimes pointless. Yours, however, was not boring in any way.
It was well written throughout, and you left just enough suspense at the end to make me wonder what's going to happen in this book.
Keep writing... I look forward to reading more!
-Briggsy :)
but the sky is love and i am for you
just so long and long enough
-E.E. Cummings

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 am
sweethearts says...

i liked your prologue of the novel and i think it is an excellent beginning. there is a lot of places where the reader has to infer and yes, i want to read more! i think you have to polish it teeny bit more though to make it perfect!
from, sweet<3 :)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:22 pm
SteppinRazor says...

I like this already, it was a catchy beginning and it has a super powers feel well after all they are 'perfect' I wonder how that is going to work out. And I like the title made me laugh, It has good potential seems quirky and fun but also that it's gonna have some craziness go on. So write some more I want to see what unfolds!

Tidal waves they rip right through me
Tears from eyes worn cold and sad
Pick me up now, I need you so bad
Down down down down

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness