Young Writers Society

Your Lingering Warmth [Prologue]

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:42 pm
Meep(: says...

Author's Note:
Spoiler! :
Hi there! I'm honoured that you've decided to give my writing a chance, and I hope I don't disappoint too much. It's been really long since I last wrote a novel, and you'll notice lots of difficulties I've (and will) faced in writing this novel (including generating a title, eep), so I apologise in advance for my ineptitude and thank you in advance for any help offered (feel free to be brutal) (: Here we go!

~~~~~~~~~~

Raising his masterpiece to the sky, light danced off in various directions as he turned it slowly, carefully between his fingers.

Lowering his hand, he set out to polish the ring again with an obsessive fervour, trying to make it crystal clear as if the ambivalence that weighed down his mind would obediently mimic the clarity. But of course, no amount of polishing would turn gold in crystal, and a peace of mind continued to elude him accordingly, hidden behind a thick, opaque wall of uncertainty.

Willing himself to stop harassing the ring with a cloth, he inspected it once again. It was indisputably exquisite, crafted painstakingly for his beloved and absolutely unique. From the circle of gold, sized to fit her finger perfectly, rose two fluid shapes. The man, moulded to his exact likeness, held the lady in a tight embrace and her cascade of hair stroked his arms as he kissed her, their faces obscured by the proximity. It was rather disturbing how accurately he immortalised her beauty in gold.

Deciding that he had done the best he could, the creases on his forehead smoothened. Heading out, he promptly stuffed his creation in his pocket, where it would share the company of loose change and pocket lint.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm
View Likes
Leahweird says...

I actually really like your title. It caught my attention. I primarily lurk around the fantasy forum so i might not have found this otherwise, and that would have been a travesty.

Greek mythology? I'm in. Am I right in thinking Hephaestus is involved? I could be utterly wrong, but that is my guess. I ike the characer even if I;m completly wrong. I think we learn a lot about him by the way he wors so hard to make this beautiful thing and then practically forgets about it. i want to see even more of who he is.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm
Meep(: says...

Hi there :D
Actually, Hephaestus is only mentioned in passing, but I do share your view of him! It's more of a demi-god story, but Greek mythology naturally comes into play. But perhaps I could squeeze a little more of him, we'll see ^^
It would be nice to have readers well-versed in Greek mythology to help out though! I've done research, but with multiple accounts of certain events, I wonder who to believe or rely on!
Thank you for giving me a chance :)
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 pm
Leahweird says...

That's one of the great things about playing with mythology. There is no right version! Not even the Greeks stuck to one story.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:26 pm
Napier says...

Hey there!

First of all, the best thing about this piece is the description. Really, really well done there. Every sentence seemed to be so beautifully crafted and thought out; I could tell that you made a big effort with this piece. I also loved the sentence starters, and I know that sounds a little weird. I simply mean that you took care making the sure the story wasn't a complete mess of "And then he"s and "And then this happened"s- variety is key, and you certainly have variety.

My only complaint is the sentence length. You didn't have any short sentences to break it up a little, if you know what I mean. The prologue consisted of long sentences, lovely yes, but one after the other with no gaps. But this is a nitpick that can be changed by simply chopping a couple of sentences in half or moving words around; it's not much of a big deal.

Overall, I absolutely loved it- nice job!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola