z

Young Writers Society

Hidden Illusions Chapter 4

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 am
View Likes
tigershark17 says...

Melanie walked into the gym Friday night and headed straight for the front. Spotting Mark alone, she walked over and sat down by him. Brittaney appeared next to them a moment later and greeted Melanie. Mark stared at the girl clad in a long pink dress, sleeveless, a gold sparkly shawl hanging across her shoulders. Glitter covered her dark hair, stemming from the huge flower in it.
“Hi Mark.”
He blushed, and squirmed awkwardly. “Hello.”
The director called for the girls and Brittaney ran off. Melanie moved over and spoke in a low voice.
“You can talk to her a little more, you know.”
I never know what to say.”
“Tell her you like her.”
He gaped at her, and she laughed.
“Seriously. Just say something. She’s a really sweet girl.”
His face told her he knew that already, but she knew that the chances of him saying anything to her were at about zero. As Melanie scanned the gym, she saw Braden walk in the door. She inhaled sharply when she saw who was with him. Zara Leland, tall and gorgeous as ever marched in alongside him. Thank God Miranda’s not here, she thought, starting to turn around. Her head whipped right back. Miranda stood by the door, looking utterly devastated. As cruel as Miranda could be, Melanie found herself actually feeling sympathetic. She couldn’t think about it long though. The lights began to dim as the rest of the crowd found their seats and the director entered the stage. Even her prolonged speech was worth it once the choir began to sing.

Melanie was awed by the way they sounded just like one person, but with a larger more powerful voice. The parts wound around each other, and she could almost see the music twining about them, like spirits flying. And then Brittaney began to sing, and Melanie just melted into her voice. The crowd was silent. Melanie wondered if anyone was breathing. Next to her, Mark sat stone still, completely drawn in, stunned. She grinned. Brittaney’s voice rose and overtook the room, drowning everyone in her flowing sound. As she began to slow and reach the last few notes, the crowd began to rise to their feet. Just as she hit the last note, they erupted. The sound was dizzying as every single person stood, screaming wildly. Brittaney was almost in tears from the sheer joy of it. Melanie turned to see even Braden cheering, and smiled. Mark somehow managed to gape and cheer simultaneously, and it must have been several minutes before they all finally died down. When Brittaney exited the stage and was bombarded by people, Melanie didn’t think the girl could have been happier.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Braden and Zara leave, and was happy to see Zara looking so at ease, but something still didn’t feel right to her. Miranda sat off to the side, head buried in her arms until a friend came to get her. Melanie didn’t see Mark anymore. She left several minutes later, and didn’t go home, but to the tree house. To her, the tree house was in some ways even more of a home than the house she lived in. She didn’t have a bed, but it was safe, if only for a little while. When it got cold, she nailed up thick blankets on the walls, and brought in a few to cover herself with. The hard tree house floor was not the greatest to sleep on, but sometimes it was one of those minor things that didn’t matter when she really didn’t want to go home. Kaylie came to mind again. Melanie thought of the things they used to do together. It was always the smallest things that mattered the most.

They used to go shopping together. They used to just talk while they shopped, about anything. Kaylie was the only person who had ever known literally everything about her. They had been the closest friends anyone at school had ever seen, talking all the time, hanging out. They talked about the smallest, stupidest things, of silly things, and other times they had deep conversations wrought with tears and shame. That was the best thing about Kaylie – Melanie could talk to her abou the smallest or the biggest things, and either way it was special. And then there was something about their friendship that was even rarer, something Melanie felt fairly certain none of the other kids at school experienced with each other. They could be quiet. They could just be together and not say a word, and it was enough. Their friendship was never awkward, but always open. They just picked up wherever they had last left off, whether it be deep conversation or complete silence. Melanie fell asleep dreaming about her friend, and wishing her back with all her heart.

When she got home the next morning it was already after ten, and her mother, strangely enough, was lying on the couch. Melanie brought her coffee to wake her. She waited quietly until her mother had had a few moments to herself, then came over to sit by her. Cindy smiled softly at her daughter’s expectant gaze. She stared into her coffee cup for a few moments, as if somehow she’d find in it the words to use.
“When I was five months pregnant, I was upstairs doing the laundry,” she began. “Ryan came home drunk. He was angry because I had the laundry all over the bed, and he wanted to lay down for a while. I had a stack in my arms and one left on the bed. When I came back for the last one, he was yelling so much I couldn't even tell him there weren’t any more. He thought I was trying to argue. He wouldn’t listen. As I back out to put the laundry away, he began to think I was running away from him. I was standing right at the top of the stairs. . .” Cindy’s voice broke and Melanie clutched her hand.
“Oh, Mama, no!”
Cindy nodded. “He pushed me, and I fell down the whole set.” She was crying now as she said, “I knew she couldn’t have survived a fall like that, but I kept hoping. . .”
They both broke down, and Melanie held her mother tight, the first bodily contact other than a quick kiss that they’d had in months.
“Oh, Mama!” Melanie cried again. She could have had a sister. Someone to tell secrets to, share clothes with, dress up and take out to lunch. Silence hung in the air for long minutes as they clung to each other, both needing the touch. This time they were uninterrupted, and enjoyed the long needed moment together for a while until Melanie went off to do homework. The day dragged on as she thought about the sister she could have had. When Monday finally rolled around again, Melanie knew something had happened Friday night that she’d missed. Braden walked the halls looking angrier than she had ever seen him, and the look in his eyes told her I want something, and I am determined to get it. Melanie knew exactly what that something was. Aubrey and Zara walked down the hall.
“So what happened?” Zara was asking.
“He was just so rough! I felt like he was going to take off my clothes at any second, and it hadn't even been one date. He made me feel like he owned me.”
“Is he mad?”
“Yeah. Of course, but I’m not going out with him again.”
They both jerked to a stop. Braden stood night in front of them. Fists clenched and eyes burning, he stared right at them. Aubrey reached out and grabbed Zara’s hand, pulling her away just before Miranda walked up. Melanie watched the exchange between them. In a way, Braden’s eyes seem to soften when Miranda talked to him. This time he interacted with her, talking and smiling, and Melanie was surprised at the change in him. By Friday she was desperately wondering what was going on. Braden had been flirting with Miranda all week long, even though he still stared angrily at Zara, and practically flamed with jealousy whenever she paid attention to other guys. Braden drove off with Miranda after school. That was fast, Melanie thought, wondering if they were spending the weekend together. Sometimes is was so hard to judge who would and wouldn't. Miranda doesn’t seem like the type of girl that would do that, she thought, but she knew Braden had taken a lot of girls home. It was so easy to fall into that trap when you loved someone. It’s non of my business what Miranda does, though, she told herself. Jordan appeared then, and offered her a ride home.
“Thanks,” she said, climbing in and wondering whether this was becoming normal. Did she want Jordan to drive her every day? They pulled up in front of his house.
“Hey. You wanna come in for a bit?”
She hesitated for several moments.
“It’s okay,” he said quietly. “You don’t have to.” He waited for her answer. She nodded.
“I’ll come.”
Jordan grabbed her stuff. When they reached the doorstep he asked her to stay out there for a moment. She glanced at him curiously.
“I have a dog.” He slipped into the house for a minute, and then he was back. “Sorry about that. He’ll jump all over you if I don’t put him out. Come on in.”
They walked into his room and Melanie observed a shelf full of trophies, and several rows of medals and ribbons on the wall.
“Are those all for swimming?”
“Yeah.”
“Wow. How long have you been doing it?”
“Thirteen years. I started when I was four.”
“Hey.” A woman with long, thick brown hair poked her head in the door. “I didn't know you were home already. Who’s this?”
“Uh, Mom, this is Melanie. Melanie, my mom.”
The woman held out her hand. Please, Ari.”
A young girl appeared at her side. “Mom, I gotta go in half an hour. Angie’s picking me up.”
“Okay. Just make sure you eat before you go.”
Then the girl noticed Melanie sitting there and said hi.
“I’m Hayley.”
“Melanie.”
The girl and her mother left, leaving Jordan and Melanie alone. She looked around his room. She had seen it a few times, but only from her window. Two tall bookshelves sat against one wall, and on another his desk, and then his bed. His room was dark blue – almost navy. Not a colour you would think would look that great on bedroom walls, Melanie thought, but it’s actually not that bad. They sat on the floor leaning against his bed to do homework. Melanie sat with one hand on the floor, the other writing on the paper in her lap. Jordan reached over and laid his hand on hers, absentmindedly running his fingers over hers. She looked up at him. When he did finally raise his eyes, they jut looked at each other, and then he moved his hand. As he did so Melanie heard their front door close.
“My dad’s home. Do you want to go down?”
The idea terrified her, but she nodded and attempted a smile. They moved down to the kitchen and met Jordan’s father. Several minutes later, Arianna arrived back in the kitchen as well, and Luke came up behind her.
“Hello sweetheart,” he murmured as if he were still passionately in love with her. Melanie couldn’t help but watch as his arms went around his wife, and she turned to kiss him.
“I love you,” Ari told him. When Jordan looked at Melanie and saw that she was tearing up as she watched his parents’ exchange, he touched her arm, looking at her questioningly. Then she lost it. Thankfully Jordan took her back upstairs quickly before Ari or Luke noticed, and shut the door. Melanie threw her arms around him. He was startled by that at first, but then put his arms around her and let her cry softly against him. After a few minutes she leaned back and raised her face.
“I got your shirt all wet.”
“It’s all good. Are you okay?”
She nodded, and he raised his eyebrows a bit.
“You wanna tell me what just happened down there?”
“They’re just so sweet. Your dad. . . I can just see how much he loves your mom.”
Jordan got quiet for a minute, a concerned look on his face.
“You know Melanie, I don’t know what’s going on with your parents, but you can always come over here and hang out whenever you want.”
She nodded appreciatively.
“I’ve got to get home.”
“Okay.” He let her out and said goodnight. When Melanie entered her own house, she recognized the sound of her father’s voice immediately, and all good memories of this night were pushed away.
“I told you never to mention that name again!” he bellowed. Cindy was standing in front of him, crying, and he was shaking her.
“Did you hear me?! NEVER!” And with that last roar he released her. She fell to the ground. Ryan screamed at her to get up, and just as his foot hit her stomach she caught Melanie’s eye, giving her a look that Melanie had come to know, over the years, meant Get out right now. Just as her father’s back turned she dashed up the stairs, locking her door.
“Oh, god,” she gasped, trying not to listen to the noise below her. It was an impossible attempt. Melanie knew her mother must have mentioned something about Alana. Now that Melanie knew, she felt as if she had lost something, even without ever having known the child.
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:07 pm
guineapiggirl says...

This was a bit better; I liked the description of the singing. The tree-house was good too. I started to feel a bit more interest in the character. THe speech bits definitely need work on.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 am
MandaPanda1031 says...

tigershark17 wrote:Melanie walked into the gym Friday night and headed straight for the front. Spotting Mark alone, she walked over and sat down by him. Brittaney appeared next to them a moment later and greeted Melanie. Mark stared at the girl clad in a long pink dress, sleeveless, a gold sparkly shawl hanging across her shoulders. Glitter covered her dark hair, stemming from the huge flower in it.
“Hi Mark.”
He blushed, and squirmed awkwardly. “Hello.”
The director called for the girls and Brittaney ran off. Melanie moved over and spoke in a low voice.
“You can talk to her a little more, you know.”
I never know what to say.”
“Tell her you like her.”
He gaped at her, and she laughed.
Seriously.This is a fragment.. Consider revising. Just say something. She’s a really sweet girl.”
His face told her he knew that already, but she knew that the chances of him saying anything to her were at about zero. As Melanie scanned the gym, she saw Braden walk in the door. She inhaled sharply when she saw who was with him. Zara Leland, tall and gorgeous as ever marched in alongside him. Thank God Miranda’s not here, she thought, starting to turn around. Her head whipped right back. Miranda stood by the door, looking utterly devastated. As cruel as Miranda could be, Melanie found herself actually feeling sympathetic. She couldn’t think about it long though. The lights began to dim as the rest of the crowd found their seats and the director entered the stage. Even her prolonged speech was worth it once the choir began to sing.

Melanie was awed by the way they sounded just like one person, but with a larger more powerful voice. The parts wound around each other, and she could almost see the music twining about them, like spirits flying. And then Brittaney began to sing, and Melanie just melted into her voice. The crowd was silent. Melanie wondered if anyone was breathing. Next to her, Mark sat stone still, completely drawn in, stunned. She grinned. Brittaney’s voice rose and overtook the room, drowning everyone in her flowing sound. As she began to slow and reach the last few notes, the crowd began to rise to their feet. Just as she hit the last note, they erupted. The sound was dizzying as every single person stood, screaming wildly. Brittaney was almost in tears from the sheer joy of it. Melanie turned to see even Braden cheering, and smiled. Mark somehow managed to gape and cheer simultaneously, and it must have been several minutes before they all finally died down. When Brittaney exited the stage and was bombarded by people, Melanie didn’t think the girl could have been happier.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Braden and Zara leave, and was happy to see Zara looking so at ease, but something still didn’t feel right to her. Miranda sat off to the side, head buried in her arms until a friend came to get her. Melanie didn’t see Mark anymore. She left several minutes later, and didn’t go home, but to the tree house. To her, the tree house was in some ways even more of a home than the house she lived in. She didn’t have a bed, but it was safe, if only for a little while. When it got cold, she nailed up thick blankets on the walls, and brought in a few to cover herself with. The hard tree house floor was not the greatest to sleep on, but sometimes it was one of those minor things that didn’t matter when she really didn’t want to go home. Kaylie came to mind again. Melanie thought of the things they used to do together. It was always the smallest things that mattered the most.

They used to go shopping together. They used to just talk while they shopped, about anything. Kaylie was the only person who had ever known literally everything about her. They had been the closest friends anyone at school had ever seen, talking all the time, hanging out. They talked about the smallest, stupidest things, of silly things, and other times they had deep conversations wrought with tears and shame. That was the best thing about Kaylie – Melanie could talk to her about the smallest or the biggest things, and either way it was special. And then there was something about their friendship that was even rarer, something Melanie felt fairly certain none of the other kids at school experienced with each other. They could be quiet. They could just be together and not say a word, and it was enough. Their friendship was never awkward, but always open. They just picked up wherever they had last left off, whether it be deep conversation or complete silence. Melanie fell asleep dreaming about her friend, and wishing her back with all her heart.

When she got home the next morning it was already after ten, and her mother, strangely enough, was lying on the couch. Melanie brought her coffee to wake her. She waited quietly until her mother had had a few moments to herself, I think it would sound better to say 'and then' instead of just 'then'then came over to sit by her. Cindy smiled softly at her daughter’s expectant gaze. She stared into her coffee cup for a few moments, as if somehow she’d find in it the words to use.
“When I was five months pregnant, I was upstairs doing the laundry,” she began. “Ryan came home drunk. He was angry because I had the laundry all over the bed, and he wanted to laythe correct term is 'lie' not 'lay' down for a while. I had a stack in my arms and one left on the bed. When I came back for the last one, he was yelling so much I couldn't even tell him there weren’t any more. He thought I was trying to argue. He wouldn’t listen. As I back out to put the laundry away, he began to think I was running away from him. I was standing right at the top of the stairs. . .” Cindy’s voice broke and Melanie clutched her hand.
“Oh, Mama, no!”Also a fragmentCindy nodded. “He pushed me, and I fell down the whole set.” She was crying now as she said, “I knew she couldn’t have survived a fall like that, but I kept hoping. . .”
They both broke down, and Melanie held her mother tight, the first bodily contact other than a quick kiss that they’d had in months.
“Oh, Mama!”Fragment Melanie cried again. She could have had a sister. Someone to tell secrets to, share clothes with, dress up and take out to lunch.Fragment Silence hung in the air for long minutes as they clung to each other, both needing the touch. This time they were uninterrupted, and enjoyed the long needed moment together for a while until Melanie went off to do homework. The day dragged on as she thought about the sister she could have had. When Monday finally rolled around again, Melanie knew something had happened Friday night that she’d missed. Braden walked the halls looking angrier than she had ever seen him, and the look in his eyes told her I want something, and I am determined to get it. Melanie knew exactly what that something was. Aubrey and Zara walked down the hall.
“So what happened?” Zara was asking.
“He was just so rough! I felt like he was going to take off my clothes at any second, and it hadn't even been one date. He made me feel like he owned me.”
“Is he mad?”
Yeah.Fragment Of course, but I’m not going out with him again.”
They both jerked to a stop. Braden stood night in front of them. Fists clenched and eyes burning, he stared right at them. Aubrey reached out and grabbed Zara’s hand, pulling her away just before Miranda walked up. Melanie watched the exchange between them. In a way, Braden’s eyes seem to soften when Miranda talked to him. This time he interacted with her, talking and smiling, and Melanie was surprised at the change in him. By Friday she was desperately wondering what was going on. Braden had been flirting with Miranda all week long, even though he still stared angrily at Zara, and practically flamed with jealousy whenever she paid attention to other guys. Braden drove off with Miranda after school. That was fast, Melanie thought, wondering if they were spending the weekend together. Sometimes is- change to 'it' was so hard to judge who would and wouldn't. Miranda doesn’t seem like the type of girl that would do that, she thought, but she knew Braden had taken a lot of girls home. It was so easy to fall into that trap when you loved someone. It’s non- change to none of my business what Miranda does, though, she told herself. Jordan appeared then, and offered her a ride home.
“Thanks,” she said, climbing in and wondering whether this was becoming normal. Did she want Jordan to drive her every day? They pulled up in front of his house.
“Hey. You wanna come in for a bit?”
She hesitated for several moments.
“It’s okay,” he said quietly. “You don’t have to.” He waited for her answer. She nodded.
“I’ll come.”
Jordan grabbed her stuff. When they reached the doorstep he asked her to stay out there for a moment. She glanced at him curiously.
“I have a dog.” He slipped into the house for a minute, and then he was back. “Sorry about that. He’ll jump all over you if I don’t put him out. Come on in.”
They walked into his room and Melanie observed a shelf full of trophies, and several rows of medals and ribbons on the wall.
“Are those all for swimming?”
“Yeah.”Fragment“Wow. How long have you been doing it?”
“Thirteen years. I started when I was four.”
“Hey.” A woman with long, thick brown hair poked her head in the door. “I didn't know you were home already. Who’s this?”
“Uh, Mom, this is Melanie. Melanie, my mom.”FragmentThe woman held out her hand. Please, Ari.”
A young girl appeared at her side. “Mom, I gotta go in half an hour. Angie’s picking me up.”
“Okay. Just make sure you eat before you go.”
Then the girl noticed Melanie sitting there and said hi.
“I’m Hayley.”
“Melanie.”
The girl and her mother left, leaving Jordan and Melanie alone. She looked around his room. She had seen it a few times, but only from her window. Two tall bookshelves sat against one wall,no comma nessesary and on another his desk, and then his bed. His room was dark blue – almost navy. Not a colour you would think would look that great on bedroom walls, Melanie thought, but it’s actually not that bad. They sat on the floor leaning against his bed to do homework. Melanie sat with one hand on the floor, the other writing on the paper in her lap. Jordan reached over and laid his hand on hers, absentmindedly running his fingers over hers. She looked up at him. When he did finally raise his eyes, they jut- change to just looked at each other, and then he moved his hand. As he did so Melanie heard their front door close.
My dad’s home.fragment Do you want to go down?”
The idea terrified her, but she nodded and attempted a smile. They moved down to the kitchen and met Jordan’s father. Several minutes later, Arianna arrived back in the kitchen as well, and Luke came up behind her.
“Hello sweetheart,” he murmured as if he were still passionately in love with her. Melanie couldn’t help but watch as his arms went around his wife, and she turned to kiss him.
“I love you,” Ari told him. When Jordan looked at Melanie and saw that she was tearing up as she watched his parents’ exchange, he touched her arm, looking at her questioningly. Then she lost it. Thankfully Jordan took her back upstairs quickly before Ari or Luke noticed, and shut the door. Melanie threw her arms around him. He was startled by that at first, but then put his arms around her and let her cry softly against him. After a few minutes she leaned back and raised her face.
“I got your shirt all wet.”
“It’s all good. Are you okay?”
She nodded, and he raised his eyebrows a bit.
“You wanna tell me what just happened down there?”
“They’re just so sweet. Your dad. . . I can just see how much he loves your mom.”
Jordan got quiet for a minute, a concerned look on his face.
“You know Melanie, I don’t know what’s going on with your parents, but you can always come over here and hang out whenever you want.”
She nodded appreciatively.
“I’ve got to get home.”
“Okay.” He let her out and said goodnight. When Melanie entered her own house, she recognized the sound of her father’s voice immediately, and all good memories of this night were pushed away.
“I told you never to mention that name again!” he bellowed. Cindy was standing in front of him, crying, and he was shaking her.
“Did you hear me?! NEVER!” Fragment, and a good writer sticks to the rules of righting, meaning, never use all caps, and exclamation point is good enough.And with that last roar he released her. She fell to the ground. Ryan screamed at her to get up, and just as his foot hit her stomach she caught Melanie’s eye, giving her a look that Melanie had come to know, over the years, meant Get out right now. Just as her father’s back turned she dashed up the stairs, locking her door.
“Oh, god,” she gasped, trying not to listen to the noise below her. It was an impossible attempt. Melanie knew her mother must have mentioned something about Alana. Now that Melanie knew, she felt as if she had lost something, even without ever having known the child.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm
Alliaaryn5665 says...

Bonsoir,

Holy Llamas on fire!

Farewell,
-A.
You think you are any different from me,or yourfriends?Or this tree?If you listenhard enough,you canhear every living thingbreathing together.You canfeel everything growing.We are all living togethereven if most folksdon't act like it.We all havethe same roots,and we are allbranches of the sametree.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm
RachelJY says...

This is great; I liked the description of the singing. The tree-house was good too. I haven't read the previous chapters, but i definately plan to. your story sounds like a worthwhile tale to read can't wait for more.
Happy moments-praiseGod
Difficult moments- seek God
Quiet moments- worship God
Painful moments- trust God
All the time- thank God

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm
View Likes
RachelJY says...

This is great; I liked the description of the singing. The tree-house was good too. I haven't read the previous chapters, but i definately plan to. your story sounds like a worthwhile tale to read can't wait for more.

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang