Young Writers Society

All It Takes: Ch.1

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 am
Iggy says...

Chapter One

Jackson always had weird dreams; dreams that made absolutely made no sense. Like the time he dreamed he was Spongebob, doing the chicken dance in Wal-mart. Or when he was Pikachu in Blue's Clues. All of his dreams were pointless and stupid.

Except this one. In his dream, he saw a fluffy sort of rabbit, the fur coat a mixture of chocolate brown and stormy grey. It was at the edge of a deserted road, looking this way and thay way. When it was sure no cars were coming, it darted out of the tall grass and onto the tarnished road. Out of nowhere comes a car, hitting the rabbit and killing it.

Then the dream repeats itself. Over and over again, like a song stuck on replay. Everytime the rabbit attempts to cross the road, a car would come out of thin air and hit it. Nothing ever changed, save for the last time. This time, it wasn't a rabbit. It was a girl the age of seventeen. She was a short lass, with long wavy chocolate brown hair. Jackson never saw her face, only the back of her. She did the same as the rabbit. She crossed the road and was killed.

Jackson's eyes snapped open and he sat up, confused and disoriented. Where was he? He shook his head, clearing his blurred vision. Blood-red numbers flashed out at him, drawing his attention like a boat to a lifehouse. It was six in the morning.

Jackson groaned as reality sunk in. He was at his house. It was Monday. His first day of his senior year. Time to get ready. Jackson took a quick shower and shaved his lower face, cursing silently when he nicked his cheek. Ignoring the sting, Jackson brused his teeth and dried off, selecting a long-sleeved white shirt and a black pair of jeans to wear. After putting them on, he laced up his worn-in black military combat boots, loving the way his toes squished together. Jackson brushed his shaggy black hair, slipped on a silver ring, scowled at his reflection, and slammed the door when he exited his room. He almost felt like himself again. Almost.

"Hello honey! Would you like some pancakes?" His mother chirped, smiling at her son as he shuffled into the kitchen.

Jackson shook his head, opening the fridge and pouring himself a glass of milk. He sat on the edge of a table chair and took a tiny sip, hating how his mother watched him, her eyes full of pity.

"How about eggs? Waffles? We can grab you a donut on the way to school, from that Yum Yum shop, the one you and Am-" She caught herself quickly, her eyes widening in alarm. Jackson was gripping the glass of milk tightly, his knuckles turning a ghastly white.

"A number of friends went to." His father finished, placing a hand on his wife's shoulder.

"Yes. That." She stammered, shaking her head. Then she turned to the stove and stirred the eggs."How about sasauges? Oatmeal-"

"I'm not hungry." Jackson said in a hard voice, making his mother flinch slightly.

"Okay..." She nodded her head furiously, her cheeks a hot pink. She quickly exited the room.

"You don't need to be so harsh on her." His father said quietly, sitting across the table from his son. "She's just concerned about you. We all are."

"Don't be." Jackson growled. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not not. You haven't been the same since-"

Jackson stood up, slamming the glass of milk down violently. The liquid quaked inside the glassy container, splashing over the rim and onto the wooden surface of the table. "Good-bye." Jackson grabbed his backpack from the hall closet and ran outside, ignoring his father's calls. He quickly ran a few blocks, then slowed down, glad that he lived so close to the school.

Who were they, to say he wasn't the same? Did they honestly expect him to be all sunshine and rainbows after that day? Jackson laughed bitterly, walking up the street to his high school, ironically named Jacksonville High School. Such a hoot.

"Jackson?" He turned to see a blonde-haired, skinny girl with green eyes. Joeli. She was the school's most popular girl, and the head cheerleader. She had also been his best friend last year, back when he'd been a jock. Before the accident.

"Hi." He nodded to her polietly, noting the awkward way she stood, as if she was waiting for the chance to book it.

"How have you been?" She asked quietly, not meeting his eyes.

"Just dandy. You?" He said sarcasticly. Joeli swallowed and opened her mouth to respond, then shut it and walked away. Jackson cursed, furious with himself. Everyone was going to ask him that, because they're concerned. He needed to put on a poker face and lie, saying he's okay when he's most certainly not.

Jackson's jaw clenced tightly as he entered the school and walked down the entrance hall to the cafe. He could feel people staring at him, pointing him out, whispering about him. His jaw clenced tighter. He wasn't some freak on display, yet he was the hottest gossip of the month.

"Hastings, Jackson." Jackson told the E-H lady sitting at the table. She nodded and shifted through the box of flash cards in front of her.

"Here's your schedule and locker combination." She handed the papers to him, smiling shyly. Jackson snatched the papers and stormed away. He was so damn annoyed of the pity looks. Ignoring the whispers, he found his locker and roughly twirled the dial. 23-17-4. He pulled down and tugged the door handle. Nothing. He tried again. Nothing.

"You have to wiggle the handle a couple times." Jackson turned to see a girl with long auburn hair and impossibly beautiful green eyes.

Jackson did as she said, wiggling the door handle. It opened, and he shoved his backpack inside.

"You're welcome." The girl chuckled.

"Thanks." Jackson muttered, grabbing a notebook and closing the locker door.

"I'm Seph." She said lightly, offering a hand. When Jackson pointedly ignored it, she slowly lowered it and smiled awkwardly. "I'm a senior."

"Really?" Jackson asked, taken off guard. She was too small and young-looking to be a senior.

"Yep. I know, I'm short. That doesn't automatically make me a freshman. Just like your abnormal height of 6'3" doesn't make you a basketball player."

Jackson chuckled, suprising himself. "Actually, I used to be."

"Shut up." Seph grumbled, brushing her red curls off her shoulder. She was really pre-

"Bye." Jackson whirled around, intended on walking away before he thought and/or said something he really didn't want to say. Instead, he bumped into Zach, Jackson's ex-best friend.

"Did you have a good summer, Jacky?" Zach growled, pushing Jackson away from him.

"Fuck off, Zach." Jackson snarled, turning to leave. But Zach's next words made him freeze.

"It's all your fault, boy. If it wasn't for you and your shit driving, Amy would still be alive today. I told her I was better for her, anyone's better than you, but no, she wanted a scum ball like you. And now look where it got her." Zach sneered, his voice reeking of alcohol.

Jackson turned around slowly. He took one look at Zach's smirking face, taunting him. Daring him to fight back. Jackson socked him in the face, knocking him unconcious.

Spoiler! :
Hidere.

So. More to come. Tear it apart.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:39 am
Jas says...

Spoiler! :
*spot holder for a review later on in my life when it's not 4:39 in the morning*

Hey,

I liked this a lot. The plot, the way you write, the characters; I feel they all havethe potential to become something really fantastic. There were grammar mistakes which I won't focus on and there are some cliches that need to be weeded out but this has definite potential and I want you to unlock it.

Starting off,

Jackson always had weird dreams; dreams that made absolutely made no sense. Like the time he dreamed he was Spongebob, doing the chicken dance in Wal-mart. Or when he was Pikachu in Blue's Clues. All of his dreams were pointless and stupid. l

I was almost turned away from reading the rest by these first lines, not because they were hideously bad, but because they felt silly and I don't much like to read silly things involving Spongebob and Pokemon. However, I carried on and much liked the next paragraph but I really think you should change these first few lines into something with a more serious note, don't take out the dreams but try not to mention as many children's television characters.

It was a girl the age of seventeen.

I don't like how the age of the girl was mentioned. Not in real life, nor in dreams can you tell someone's definite age just by looking at them and I think that part should be taken out.

It was six in the morning.

He was at his house. It was Monday. His first day of his senior year. Time to get ready.

She did the same as the rabbit. She crossed the road and was killed.

These sentences are pretty bland and read to me as a list, which is definitely not good. Maybe try enhancing them a bit? :) I also really didn't like how the story starts off on the first day of Senior year only because it's just about the most cliche thing ever and I've read countless books where that's happened. I also don't much like how angry Jackson is, and unprovoked too. It seems a little dramatic. Maybe if it was the anniversary of Amy's death, then yeah sure but just for a random day of school? Not very realistic.

"Jackson?" He turned to see a blonde-haired, skinny girl with green eyes. Joeli. She was the school's most popular girl, and the head cheerleader.

Oh yes, so she's blonde with green eyes and she's skinny and she's popular and she's head cheerleader, why not just add super powers and we got ourselves a perfect Mary Sue. Not every pretty girl has to be popular and not every popular girl has to be pretty, I know it's early and she's probably got tons of flaws but I already see her a a one-dimensional, flat barbie doll.

"Just dandy. You?" He said sarcasticly. Joeli swallowed and opened her mouth to respond, then shut it and walked away. Jackson cursed, furious with himself. Everyone was going to ask him that, because they're concerned. He needed to put on a poker face and lie, saying he's okay when he's most certainly not.

You spelled sarcastically incorrect for one and now Jackson seems bipolar. First he's angry and sarcastic, next he's...still angry (but at himself) and noting dutifully that everyone cares about him.

Jackson's jaw clenced tightly as he entered the school and walked down the entrance hall to the cafe. He could feel people staring at him, pointing him out, whispering about him. His jaw clenced tighter. He wasn't some freak on display, yet he was the hottest gossip of the month.

Oh, for the love of all that is good, please don't do the 'walk into the cafeteria and everyone is staring and whispering' thing. It hurts my soul a bit to see this being used when there are a million other ways to describe someone being gossiped about.

"You have to wiggle the handle a couple times." Jackson turned to see a girl with long auburn hair and impossibly beautiful green eyes.

You definitely shouldn't mention Seph until a little later. We don't know Jackson yet, haven't understood him or his anger and suddenly you're throwing some convenient new girl in this, who happens to be gorgeous? Please. Save Seph for sometime later, when the plot's moving a little slow. I also really don't like the conversation between Seph and Jackson. the entire day, Jackson's being a PMSy little girl, then suddenly someone new arrives and he can easily banter on basketball and freshman? No. It's not believable at all. Isay, cut all the stuff with Seph out and jump right into thefight with Zach. I really liked the fight. :D

I don't have much time, but believe me, I really liked this, so PM me when the next chapter's out and I'll give you a better review on that. Plus, this is my second review on this because the first one got deleted by accident. -__-

PM me with any questions or comments.

Grade: B+

~jas
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 am
Kaedee says...

Hi Ignorance!

Ignorance wrote: Blood-red numbers flashed out at him, drawing his attention like a boat to a lifehouse.
Nice. The part in bold is clever, and it helps transition from the dream. I don't really care for the simile, though. It just doesn't seem to go.

Ignorance wrote:It was a girl the age of seventeen. She was a short lass, with long wavy chocolate brown hair. Jackson never saw her face, only the back of her.
Uhh...so how'd he know for sure that she was 17?

Ignorance wrote:She quickly exited the room.
Repetition.
Ignorance wrote:Jackson brushed his shaggy black hair, slipped on a silver ring, scowled at his reflection, and slammed the door when he exited his room.

Alright, I get it. He's angry.
Overall, I think you show his bad mood and anger more than enough in this short chapter. You could tone it down a bit.

I like this. I'm really interested to see where this story is going! It caught my attention from the start.
Hope I helped at least a little bit, and good luck-

Kae
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

Reviews: 3
Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:25 pm
NightStormxd says...

This is really good.
It gives a really good mind movie and i really like that. Its like i dont have to work so hard to get what you mean!
Keep writing!!!

Just know that you should edit everything you do before you publish!

Fly On~ Raven

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm
Rydia says...

Oh look, I'm here to review! :D

Jackson always had weird dreams; dreams that made absolutely made no sense. Like the time he dreamed he was Spongebob, doing the chicken dance in Wal-mart. Or when he was Pikachu in Blue's Clues. All of his dreams were pointless and stupid.
Proof read silly! Okay so a good way to start. A nice touch of humour and soom fore-boding going on, I like that. But the end sentence ruins it just a little. It throws the tone off slightly. I think you should aim for something more light-heearted like, 'All of his dreams were silly and vaguely amusing' or 'All of his dreams were about as senseless as the search for the holy grail'.

Except this one. In his dream, he saw a fluffy sort of rabbit, the fur coat a mixture of chocolate brown and stormy grey. It was at the edge of a deserted road, looking this way and thay that way. When it was sure no cars were coming, it darted out of the tall grass and onto the tarnished road. Out of nowhere comes a car, hitting the rabbit and killing it.
A tense change at the end there, try tto avoid those! It should be in past tense like the rest or itt's just awkward to read and makes your prose really jerky.

Then the dream repeats repeated itself. Over and over again, like a song stuck on replay. Everytime the rabbit attempts attempted to cross the road, a car would come out of thin air and hit it. Nothing ever changed, save for the last time. This time, it wasn't a rabbit. It was a girl the age of seventeen. She was a short lass, with long wavy chocolate brown hair. Jackson never saw her face, only the back of her. She did the same as the rabbit. She crossed the road and she [It will add a bit more emphasis.] was killed.

Dialogue

Just a quick note to say that the exchange of dialogue is lovely. Some strong personalities coming out there and it's great that the reader can tell that the dad is quiet and solid, without you even hving to tell us. Nicely done!

"Just dandy. You?" He said sarcasticly sarcastically. Joeli swallowed and opened her mouth to respond, then shut it and walked away. Jackson cursed, furious with himself. Everyone was going to ask him that, because they're concerned. He needed to put on a poker face and lie, saying he's okay when he's most certainly not.
Love the name Joeli by the way, it's one I haven't heard before. Very pretty.

"Here's your schedule and locker combination." She handed the papers to him, smiling shyly. Jackson snatched the papers and stormed away. He was so damn annoyed of [Slightly awkward phrasing. Perhaps 'by' would work better? Or 'fed up' instead of annoyed.] the pity looks. Ignoring the whispers, he found his locker and roughly twirled the dial. 23-17-4. He pulled down and tugged the door handle. Nothing. He tried again. Nothing.

"Bye." Jackson whirled around, intended intent on walking away before he thought and/or said something he really didn't want to say. Instead, he bumped into Zach, Jackson's ex-best friend.

Characters

Just a warning that you're borderline stereotyping here. You've done good with the MC and Seph but the others are all pushing it just a little. The mother is all over her son, trying to feed him up while the father is stand-offish and sensible. And Joeli is cheerleader from head to toe. It's early yet and the stereotypes are such because they do exist, of course. But just be a little cautious is all I'm saying.

Overall

A good start. You're quite vague on plot at the moment but there's enough there, with the opening dream to hold interest a little longer. Do be sure to throw the reader another morsel soon though, before it becomes any other high school drama. But yeah, it's too early to say much other than I liked it more than I eexpected. Usually I don't get along with high-school romance novels but so far, it's a pretty smooth read.

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 pm
nutmegan595 says...

I think this was a good plot but you need to work on being more descriptive in a different way. Your narration is very choppy and action related. Then when new characters are introduced you throw a ton of description that almost doesn't fit. Try showing Jackson's emotions in the narration instead of just dialogue. The beginning was really good at that. I loved the dream sequence, but then the rest of the story kind of falls off. We don't care much about what's going--except some curiosity--because we aren't connected to Jackson's emotions. The end is really abrupt because we have no idea who Zach is and all of a sudden Jackson knocks him out. Maybe lengthen that some so, again, we get more connection.
I like the overall idea and can't wait to see what else you do with it. Let me know when you have another chapter.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm
RedMoon says...

I like this. It's got a good plot. Plus you don't say much about what happened before. Mystery is always good in a story. Well, most of the time anyway.

Any more? New and don't know how to get around. :D
Remember, God loves you!

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind