z

Young Writers Society

Sometimes, chapter Eighteen

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:15 pm
xDudettex says...

Spoiler! :
I'm so so sorry to everyone who's been waiting on this for the last month. Writing's been pushed to the back of my mind at the moment, and so has YWS. That being said, there's no way I'm giving up on this story and, after having a month off, I'm finally feeling like I want to continue with it again. I so hope this was worth the wait.

In the last chapter, Sonny promised to watch Harriet dance and Harriet agreed to let Aiden film her for his class project.

Maddi was excited to hear that I was going to give the competition a shot. She even suggested that I was a potential winner. I’d just laughed down the phone at her. I’d been a bit hesitant about asking her whether Aiden could invade our classes to film me dancing though, worried that she’d think it a distraction. Especially since I was practising for a reason now, but she hadn’t seemed to mind at all. In fact, she’d asked questions, appearing really interested. That was probably why I was looking forward to dance class even more than usual when it came to Wednesday evening.

Mum dropped me off like normal, and I found myself speed walking to the entrance of the building. Seeing the familiar red brick exterior and bright white interior added to the already huge bundle of excitement in my gut. I couldn’t wait to start dancing.

Making my way down the second corridor on the right as usual, I almost bumped straight into a bunch of guys shouldering back packs and carrying towels. Their muscley arms and stocky builds looked out of place in a hall decorated with posters of elegant ballerinas and famous dancers. I was overcome by the smell of body spray as they passed me by, on their way to the gym on the other side of the building. For a moment, I found myself wondering what it would be like if Sonny used the gym here, rather than the one across town. We could meet for smoothies at the bar afterwards…

“Harriet!”

The sound of Maddi’s voice woke me from my day dreaming and I looked up from the vinyl flooring to see her waiting outside the dance studio. She was wearing a vivid green tracksuit today and her brown hair was tied up in a bun on top of her head.

“Ready for some serious rehearsing?” she asked, opening the door to let me inside after her.

I nodded. “Yeah, I’ve got a good feeling about today. I’m itching to get started.”

Maddi’s grin widened. “Brill. Just dump your stuff and then we can warm up.”

Maddi’s warm up routines usually involved a lot of stretching and crazy dance moves, so I set my bag on the bench with my water bottle by the side. I’d definitely be needing it in a minute.

“So what made you change your mind about the contest?”

“Who said I’d decided not to do it?” I asked.

Maddi laughed. “Your face. Come on Harriet, I know you well enough to get that you put College first. Remember GCSE year? You would have revised Math here if you could read the text book and spin around at the same time.”

I shrugged the best I could while bouncing up and down on my toes. “I’m that predictable?”

“You were,” Maddi replied. “But I guess by doing the contest, you’re less predictable than before.”

Right answer. I smiled.

“I only showed you the leaflet ‘cause I remembered I’d had it in my bag. I thought it was worth a shot, but I didn’t think anything would come of it.”

“Well,” I said, switching from bouncing to leaping around the room. “I’m glad you mentioned it.”

“Good,” Maddi said, crossing in front of me to turn on the stereo.

I stopped leaping and reached down to touch my toes as the sound of music filled my ears. The thrill I’d been feeling earlier flooded back into me.

“I thought we could play about with some ideas,” Maddi said, watching me as I dived for my water bottle. “That way we’ll know what will and what won’t work for the routine.”

I raised an eyebrow as I gulped down water. “We need a new routine for the show?”

Maddi nodded. “Yeah. Besides, it’ll get you more excited for the contest if you’re working on something new. If you keep practising the same old thing then you might lose interest.”

“Nothing can make me lose interest in dancing,” I insisted. “I’m in it for the long haul.”

Maddi laughed. “That’s what they all say.”

I got back up from where I’d been resting on the bench to meet Maddi by the ballet barre. She was stretching her legs out in front of her and I copied.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

She laughed again. “Do you remember Frankie White?”

I nodded. She’d been in my dance class when I’d first started, before I’d switched to one on one lessons.

Maddi stood back up straight and turned to face me. “She said the same thing. But then boys clouded her vision.”

I could almost feel my cheeks tingeing pink. “Oh.”

“Yes, oh.” Maddi cocked her head, looking at me closely. It felt like she was probing me with her eyes. “She was sixteen. You’re seventeen, Harriet. You’ve had boyfriends in the past, I know. Carter used to come to practise sometimes, didn’t he? I thought I’d lose you then but when he moved away, I got your full attention again.”

“So?” I was trying to sound nonchalant, but I knew my burning cheeks would give me away if she asked me if I fancied anyone at the moment.

“It won’t be long before you get another boyfriend and then the battle to keep you on my side will start up again.”

I shook my head, the ends of my ponytail tickling my back where my vest top didn’t cover the skin. “Dance will always mean loads to me. A boy won’t make me stop.”

She straightened up again. “Right.”

“I’m serious,” I said, setting my hands on my hips. “I love dance.”

“There’s a boy outside the door.”

I knew I was only proving Maddi right, but I couldn’t help turning around so fast that I almost lost my balance. For one heart stopping moment, I pictured Sonny through the glass in the door. His hair all wind swept and his piercing coffee eyes gazing at me lovingly. The fantasy was over however, when I spotted Aiden’s blond head bobbing around. I walked to the door slowly, trying to show Maddi that I wasn’t all giddy and happy to see Aiden. I kind of was happy though. At least it had made Maddi shut up about boys.

“Hey,” I said, offering him a smile.

He grinned back and I noticed the bag he was carrying. It had a label on the side of it saying, ‘Property of Fairfield College.’ “I haven’t got enough cash to get my own yet,” he said, spotting me eyeing the writing.

“Fair enough,” I replied, before I stepped out of the way to let him inside.

“He’s cute,” Maddi mouthed as I showed Aiden where to put his stuff.

I widened my eyes at her and prayed that Aiden couldn’t lip read.

“Maddi, this is Aiden. He’s the one who’s come to film me for his College project.”

Maddi nodded. “Nice to meet you, Aiden.”

He turned around, a video camera in his hand. “Thanks for letting me intrude,” he said. “I’m surprised Harriet agreed to this actually.”

“Well, I was only just saying how I think she’s changing for the best. Becoming a bit more out there, you know?”

Aiden nodded and I just stood watching them, wondering why they were talking like I wasn’t even here. Was I suddenly invisible?

“Anyway, Harriet. I’m going to go to the vending machine.” Maddi said, proving my theory about whether she could still see me, wrong. “You want anything?”

I shook my head. Aiden declined her offer too and before long we were alone together in the room.

“So, what kind of shots do you want?” I asked, sidling to where Aiden was now setting the video camera up using a tri-pod.

“My brief said artistic.”

I nodded, trying to look like I knew what kind of filming that involved.

Aiden turned to face me, another camera held up in front of his face, blocking my view of his eyes. “So that means I want wacky stuff. I need you to crawl around on the floor and howl. Got it?”

Even though I couldn’t see his face properly, I knew he was grinning like an idiot. I laughed. “Sorry. I don’t do that kind of dancing. You might want to try the O.A.P yoga class down the hall. I’ve seen them do some pretty weird stuff in passing.”

Aiden lowered the camera and chuckled. “Really? Well, sorry but I guess I have no choice but to film them then. They sound awesome!”

‘Awesome’ was Sonny’s catch phrase. Like what ‘lovely’ was to Lara. For a moment I found myself thinking about Sonny again. Maybe I could suggest that he join the gym here. Then, if he really was serious about coming to watch me at dance practise, he could come after his work out.

“Hello, Harriet? I said is this the song you’re dancing to in the contest?”

I snapped back to reality at Aiden’s question and listened to the song that was playing. “Uh, I’m not sure yet. I’ve got to work out the routine first.”

Maddi arrived back in the room then, carrying what looked like enough food for a family picnic. She spotted me peering at the snacks she was carrying with a confused expression.

“What?” she asked, glancing down at the bags of crisps and chocolate bars she only just had control of. “I’m hungry.”

“That’s not an energy bar though, is it?” I said with a smile.

Maddi just stuck her tongue out at me. Sometimes she could be very immature for a twenty seven year old.

It felt strange knowing that I was being filmed, at first. I didn’t know if I liked the sensation. Every move I was making, be it with my face or my body, was captured on film. I kept catching the blinking red light on the camera out of the corner of my eye.

Twenty minutes in though, when the music was all I could hear and feel, I forgot. The usual state that dancing whipped me into had taken over and I forgot to worry or care. All I was telling myself to do was listen to the rhythm. Point my toes. Keep my head up when I span. Aiden’s cough momentarily broke me out of my bubble, but almost instantly I was back under again, the image of the smile he’d gave me imprinted on my eyes. It urged me on. Telling me to leap higher and stretcher further.

When I finally heard Maddi calling my name, which she must have been doing for a while, judging by the exasperated look she was giving me, I realised it was half an hour since I had last looked at the clock.

“Sorry,” I said, dancing over to my water bottle as Maddi switched the stereo off. The dance music that had been flooding my ears and fuelling my dancing was replaced with silence. I downed the last of my drink and set my eyes on Maddi again.

“I said we’re out of time. We’ll have to pick this up next week.” She smiled as she bit into a chocolate bar. “You did well, today. You came up with some good ideas.”

I smiled back at her. “I kind of liked the second song that you pointed out. The one with the cool bass bit in the middle.”

“I’m surprised you even hear me when you’re dancing. I swear you go into the zone and don’t come out of it unless you’re shouted at.”

I shrugged. “You know I’ve always been that way.”

Aiden was watching me with a strange expression and Maddi caught it.

“She goes into a sort of dancing induced coma,” she explained. “She’s always done it. I’ve never known someone to be so into dancing. I might as well not even be here half the time.”

I rolled my eyes. “I do hear you most of the time.”

“Most of the time,” Maddi repeated. “You weren’t listening when I was telling you to stop leaning back so far when you leaped.”

I shrugged. “I don’t dip too low.”

“You were almost in half, Harriet.”

I looked over to Aiden to see if he agreed with Maddi but he was too busy packing up the camera.

“Want any help?” I asked once Maddi had said her goodbyes, disappearing out the door with her gym bag stuffed with snacks.

“I’m almost there,” he replied, shouldering the bag. “I’ve just got to work out how to get the cap back on the lens. It’s always so darn fiddly.”

I set my bag on the floor and held out my hand. “Here, let me do it.”

Aiden passed me the camera and I took it from him, my fingers lingering on his as I made sure I had hold of it properly. My skin warmed under his touch and I looked up to see him gazing at me with a weird expression. He opened his mouth to say something before thinking better of it.

“Thanks,” I said, before clipping the cap onto the camera lens in one easy movement.

Aiden tutted. “Show off,” he said, his voice cracking.

I raised an eyebrow as he took the camera back from me. His fingers brushed mine again, but I couldn’t help thinking that he rested them there a little longer than necessary. I pretended not to notice though, bending down to pick up my bag from the floor.

“Have you got a lift home?” I asked as we made out way towards the entrance hall.

Aiden shrugged. “I was gonna get the bus home.”

“You can have a lift with me,” I said, resolutely. “I’m not taking no for an answer.”

Aiden chuckled. “Thanks.”

He followed me outside and I lead him to where my mum was waiting in her usual spot. Mum smiled as I neared before gazing behind me with a questioning look.

“Aiden needs a lift home too,” I said, opening the boot so that he could stuff his things inside. “He only lives the next road over.”

I shut the boot and told Aiden to sit in the back, before climbing into the front passengers seat. I clicked my belt into place just as Mum turned around to face Aiden.

“Hiya, Hun,” she said, putting on her ‘World’s best Mum,’ voice. It wasn’t the voice she’d used when she’d shouted at me for using the bacon the other day. “You’re one of Harriet’s friend’s I take it.”

I saw him nodding in the mirror.

“I’m in her English class at College,” he replied.

“That’s nice,” Mum said, facing the front again and steering the car out of the car park.

“Aiden’s in Leanne’s band too,” I added. “He’s the new bassist.”

Mum’s smile grew. “Lovely. So you know my wayward daughter too?”

Aiden nodded again.

“Harriet’s the sensible one,” Mum continued. I wanted to die. “She’s always been that way. Sometimes I wonder whether they were born the wrong way around. Like, Leanne should have been the younger sister, seeing as Harriet’s the one who’s always looking out for her.”

I tried to keep my smile genuine looking. “Aiden doesn’t want to hear about that, Mum,” I said, hoping she’d hear the ‘shut up,’ tone of voice I was using.

She just smiled. “Oh I’m sorry, Love. Harriet doesn’t like it when I embarrass her,” she said, peering at Aiden in her mirror. “I’m only kidding. Harri’s a lovely girl though, don’t you think?”

If I could have smashed my head against the dash board without anyone asking me why I’d done it, I’d have done it twice already. Hard.

“Uh, she’s great,” Aiden replied.

I turned in my seat, mouthing a sorry to him.

He shook his head. “She always makes sure I do all of my work in class. And she checks up on my homework, too.”
Make that three times on the dashboard.

“Harriet’s always taken her studies very seriously,” Mum said, sending Aiden a sympathetic expression through the mirror. “At least you’ll get good grades at the end of it all.” She laughed.

“True,” Aiden replied. “Though she’s getting better at letting her hair down.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, really?” Mum asked, her face lighting up with curiosity. “Do tell.”

Four times.

“Well she’s been to the cinema and she’s coming to our next gig.”

Mum smiled. “That’s nice. You know, it’s great that Harri’s got some new friend’s. Cassie can be a bit controlling sometimes. It’s nice that Harriet can do things without her too.”

I was so glad that Cassie wasn’t around to hear that. She’d have had my mum in a headlock.

“Yeah, Cassie’s a character,” Aiden agreed.

“You know how Cassie is, Mum,” I said, trying to get her to lay off of Cass. “You’ve just got to know how to handle her.”

“So you keep saying,” she replied. “Anyway, it’ll be nice for you to get out of the house. Sometimes it seems like you spend most of your life alone in your room.”

Five. Oh God. Could she make me sound like anymore of a loser?

“It’s this road, Mum,” I said, eagerly pointing to where Aiden lived.

Mum pulled up outside of his house after Aiden directed her to the right one, and my seat belt was off and my door open quicker than a bullet flying from a gun. Well, almost. I was pretty darn fast. The quicker I got Aiden out of the car, the more of my social life I could save.

“I’m so sorry,” I said, meeting Aiden at the back of the car.

He laughed and retrieved his stuff from the boot. “It’s fine. My mum can be a bit intense sometimes, too.”

“She always does it,” I moaned. “Like seriously, asking you whether I was cool or not.” I bit my lip, cringing at the memory of it. “I really am sorry.”

Aiden waved his hand to stop me from apologising again. “Honestly, Harriet. It’s fine. Besides, it’s not like she asked me to rate you out of ten on the hot-o-meter. That would have been… strange.”

I said goodbye, still wondering about Aiden’s parting words, before diving back inside the car. Mum was waiting inside with a grin on her face.

“Well, he seems like a nice boy. Does he have a girlfriend?”

Kill me now.
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm
View Likes
SakuraFallsSweetly♥ says...

Fabulous chapter! Harriet's character is building more and more. I feel like this chapter really digs into her driven, passionate side for dancing. She cares about it so much, its cool. =] Also loving the tension between her and Aiden ;) That's pretty interesting. Nice to see that the story still has the same fire to it even after the break. It can be hard to get back into it ay? Harriet's dance teacher is cool. :D There wasn't really any errors I noticed, just a nice, clean chapter. Very good job! I'm looking forward to reading more, and it's nice to have you back on YWS! Welcome back, kiddo! =]
The only true failure, is when you give up. ♥

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 pm
View Likes
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

Let's make this review, since I've been complaining that it has been a long time, it wouldn't be fair if I would take my time. ;) By the way, even if I complain it takes too much time, I'm joking, since I take a few months before posting the new chapters on my novel.

She even suggested that I had the potential to win.

This is silly from my part, but I think this would sound better that way.
I’d been a bit hesitant about asking her whether Aiden could invade our classes to film me dancing though, worried that she’d think it would be a distraction.

“Have you got a lift home?” I asked as we made our way towards the entrance hall.

I really liked this chapter, it was worth the wait. :) I like how you describe her love for dance in different part of the chapter, it's realistic and somehow goes well with the personnality you've been building for her.
Also: tension between Aiden and H? ;) Yay, I like that. It seems that it's not moving forward between Sony and H, so maybe it will with her and Aiden?

Keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm
View Likes
borntobeawriter says...

Kill me now.

PRICELESS. Aw, Anna, I'm sorry I've been MIA. I just read your previous chapter and this one.

I enjoyed the last one but I LOVED this one. The fact that Sonny is so 'perfect' still bothers me. I know we're seeing it from her perspective, and to her, he is perfect, but.... I love Aiden. More than you'll ever know.

I think this was well done. Very well done. Harriet's nervousness about having Aiden there, then ignoring him because she was really into her dancing. The hope that it was Sonny, not Aiden there, the conversation with her mom. Seriously. Your time away has been good to you. And to us.

Just keep in mind that nobody is perfect. And Harriet has to start noticing that soon or your readers will get bored with Sonny quite quickly.

GREAT job on this chapter, keep it up!

Tanya

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix