z

Young Writers Society

Then Came the Fall. Chapter 6

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm
IsItLove says...

As I awoke I felt the bright Saturday sunlight filter into my eyes. I slowly got out of bed and headed for the bathroom. I showered myself, as I thought about the day ahead. I had already picked out my outfit; a pretty black dress, that fell just to the knee, it had a silky texture and shaped my silhouette perfectly.
I walked back into my room, to finish drying myself off. Once I finished I found my long white bathrobe and draped myself in it.
I spritzed my long brown curls with “curl definition spray” and started to blow-dry my hair. I was going to represent my family with poise and honour.
Once completed, I slipped into the dress and slowly pulled the zip up. I turned to the mirror to apply make-up, but I decided against it. I thought that it would only get ruined.
Once, I was finally ready to leave I slipped on my patent black heels and walked down the stairs. I was greeted by my Grandparents, their once again sombre faces composed. Ignoring them I walked up to the window, whilst waiting for the car to arrive.
When the car finally pulled up we all walked towards. I slipped in. I sat by the window and gazed out. I felt the pain, the anguish, the fear of the future, and the longing build up inside of me.
The five minute journey seemed to take hours, but as we pulled up to the church I shook myself internally, “Brave face Maria, brave face.” I muttered as I walked gracefully up to the church. I swivelled around to see four similar hearses arrive, each with a separate flowered message. ‘Father’, ‘Mother’, ’Brother’ and ‘Sister’.
I lead the way as they were carried in. I was stunned at the mass of people that had come to show their last respects.
“I have never, in all my years seen the church so packed with people. Maria, your family must have been loved. ”Said the Vicar. As I was gazing around in amazement I saw the last, tiny coffin be placed at the front.
I walked over to my seat, until I saw who had taken the seats next to where I was supposed to sit. Unable for a battle against them, I took the last free seat; it was next to Mrs. Perchard. I was pleased she had come. Her support had meant so much to me over the past few weeks; I was beginning to see her less as a teacher and more as a, well, Mother.
The service began. The Vicar began with a song, ‘Amazing Grace’ my Mum’s favourite. As the service continued I realised it would soon be time for my part. I felt a hand hold and then squeeze mine.
“Maria, you will be just fine. Your Parents will be so proud of you.” These words were kindly muttered into my ear, just before I was summoned to begin my reading. As I left I turned to see Mrs. Perchard smile encouragingly.
“I hope she is okay, I have been so worried about her. I know something is wrong, but I just can’t work out what.” Sarah Perchard muttered to her beloved husband who was sat beside her.
“Sarah, you are doing everything that you can for that child, you are giving her such love, and simply being there for her, and I can see that she more than appreciates it, she needs it. But this is not the time for discussion; we are at the funeral for the poor child’s dead family.” Michael Perchard finished caringly but never the less bluntly.
Although I could not hear the convocation, I had seen the hushed words and the worried look emitted by her. But after realising I had to carry on I began my speech.
“I would like to take this opportunity to say thank-you, not only for paying your respects but for showing your love for my family, because I can tell you it means so very much.
My Parents met in quiet old restaurant where my Mother was working at the time, during her holidays, trying to save up enough money for the future girly outings her friends had planned, something I am sure I will follow her in.
One stormy evening, not far from closing time, a Man burst into the restaurant, looking for not only a meal, but also for shelter form the stormy weather. He was sat a table and waited on by my Mother. He was a cocky chap, and she was a beautiful young woman and as the evening grew old and one thing lead to another and she was left with his number and a proposal for a date.
Two years later, after a few more dates, Tom Lace was about to make another proposal, a wedding proposal. Now Katy Moore was going to be Katy Lace.
A year later the couple were blessed with a baby. I brought them such joy with my innocent games that they wished for a second child. Their wish was granted and along came Mathew Lace. However their happy family was not yet complete, Ellie Lace was born just three years ago.
They loved their family. I found out two days that they could have survived the crash, but they spent their last moments trying, hopelessly, to save their children. Although Ellie’s life was only short lived but they made sure she always felt loved, and Mathew and I adored her, she brought such joy to our family.
They may be gone, but you and I are still here so their memory will live on.” Once I finished I felt the tears come streaming out, everyone applauded as I returned to my seat.
“That was beautiful, I am so proud of you.” Mrs. Perchard whispered into my ear. The words gave me strength to go on.
We were ushered out side where they would be laid to rest. Each coffin placed with a single sunflower.
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke